Out of shape dancers?

applew

Out of shape Dancers on your cruise?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Out of shape Dancers on your cruise?

We did a back stage tour on one of our recent cruisese. It was very interesting and someone actually asked this question. Aparently the entertainers are not allowed to gain/lose weight. They must stay within 5 pounds of when they sign their contract. All of their costumes are custom made and they have to do all minor repairs and cleaning of them.

The girl leading the tour also said that they have great facilities and between daily rehearsals, many also use the gym, run, etc...

For my 2 cents, ALL the dancers are in shape, no matter what their body weight or shape is like. I can't imagine any one who is not in shape being able to go through rehearsals, and two shows a night.

I too have heard about the +/- 5 pound limit, from a Cruise Director who is the manager of every entertainer on board. I would have to believe that that would be tough to maintain if one didn't burn off every calorie of intake. That CD also treated all the staff as family. If someone has an issue, everyone pulls together to help. That's one of the behind-the-scenes things that I like about Princess, and it shows when you meet and talk to any of the dancers on an excursion or in port.

I think maybe the OP has some vision that people in shape all have to look like Barbi or something. I happen to enjoy the diversity of the dancers, and appreciate all that they do.

As a point of interest on this issue, one company used to let all crew have access to read the comment cards once the office had reviewed them. Then one day a number of passengers wrote about the 'fat dancers' on one cruise, and since then only the VERY senior crew onboard get to read all of the comment cards as the dancers involved got all upset.

Also the +/- 5 pound rule has been 'officially' removed by most companies due to lawsuit/harassment issues!!

Also the +/- 5 pound rule has been 'officially' removed by most companies due to lawsuit/harassment issues!!

I would imagine, though, that the purpose of that rule was not discriminatory ... it probably applied to both male and female dancers, and the reason behind it would simply be to ensure the costumes continued to fit the people for whom they were made (or altered). It would be a major problem if a certain dancer/singer put on (or even lost) a significant amount of weight such that their costume no longer fit. There may be no place to get a replacement costume where the ship is located.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I would imagine, though, that the purpose of that rule was not discriminatory ... it probably applied to both male and female dancers, and the reason behind it would simply be to ensure the costumes continued to fit the people for whom they were made (or altered). It would be a major problem if a certain dancer/singer put on (or even lost) a significant amount of weight such that their costume no longer fit. There may be no place to get a replacement costume where the ship is located.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yes I agree, but in this modern world of, 'hassle me and I'll sue' , they have to be careful!

On my last cruise I saw a range of body types, all in shape and all looked great! There were some super skinngy types, but there were some healthy and fit types that were not super skinny. It was a nice depature and the dancing was excellent.

This person joined yesterday and makes a post like that, it makes me wonder if there is something behind that. We have met a few of the dancers and they are by no means fat. Body fat count would be around 4 percent, who else can say that.

The dancers in various Princess shows are suited to the types of dancing they perform and the choreography. They are not meant to be a ballet company where everyone is of a certain height and very thin with a compact torso, long limbs, pin-head perched atop a long neck, flat-chested, perfectly-arched feet, etc.

I studied ballet (some tap, jazz, and modern dance, as well) for many years, so I know a thing or two about dancers. I've always thought that the Princess troupes were well-trained, well-suited to the choreography, and they work well together. Most importantly, perhaps, is that the dancers represent a cross-section of the population not unlike the ships' passengers. jmo

Bon Voyage!

Chris

:rolleyes: :confused: Not sure what the purpose of this thread is but have at it... I'vde been on over 15 Princess cruises and lots of others and this has never even come up!!!! So no flaming, nice talk kiddies and keep it "CRUISE RELATED" and not a debate re body fat, lifestyles etc.

This person joined yesterday and makes a post like that, it makes me wonder if there is something behind that...

I did not mean to insult anyone, I was just curious if my eyes were going bad. But judging from my poll it seems I wasn't alone in this question. Sorry If this post might have offended someone, it's purpose was pure second grade curiosity. I do believe the singers and dancers did a magnificent job.:)

Regal Princess to Alaska

http://applew.com/news/alaska-cruise

-Playah' in the game called Life

:) http://applew.com

Was it me or does it seem like the dancers are out of shape? Not to be rude, but I guess if your in a boat of luxury all day your bound to eat a lot. Maybe this is just my observation?:D

So sad that our society has such a warped opinion of what is "in shape" and what is not "in shape." Being thin or of average weight does not mean you are "in shape." And conversely, those who carry more weight on their frames could be Olympic athletes. Some examples:

rezazadeh-athens1.jpg

102504.jpg

[img}http://www.brucebaumgartner.com/images/Bruce_with_Olympic_Medals_blurred.jpg[/img]

P78CHNgold5187.jpg

I hate it when people jump all over a new member. Every one has had to have a first post. That said, the dancers aren't sitting around all day, pigging out at the buffet. They are helping out at the activities, practicing, leading a dance class, practicing, performing....

As someone else said, I wish I was as out of shape as a cruiseline dancer.

I don't think anyone who puts on all those shows, plus practices, a week could really be out of shape. Maybe they are not the stick-thin reeds that the media tries to foist off on us as ideal, but I've never seen a ship's dancer who looked out of shape, and most of them seem quite slender. They also have other jobs on the ship; I've taken aerobic classes taught by a dancer, for example.

That said, I'm sure it is a challenge to live on the ship for extended periods with all that food available and not pack on a few pounds! Heaven knows what would happen to me if I ever took more than a 7-day!

:rolleyes: :confused: Not sure what the purpose of this thread is but have at it... I'vde been on over 15 Princess cruises and lots of others and this has never even come up!!!! So no flaming, nice talk kiddies and keep it "CRUISE RELATED" and not a debate re body fat, lifestyles etc.
Having been on 9 cruises I can safely say that I and my wife have been well entertained by the dancers employed on the Princess Cruise line, and we are always in awe of the effort they put out and the artistry they display.

The show entertainment is good, and we would recommend it to anyone to experience. It is part of what makes cruising a unique experience, worth repeating

My first cruise was November 1979.....now 61 cruises later I think I can ask the same question from another direction. Is it my eyes or have passengers gotten heavier....and under dressed?

I dont remember the over weight passengers by the pool.......eating in 24 hour eat all you want lido dining rooms......

Wow. Let not talk about ship design, ship decoration, service, itineraries, entertainment....lets talk about the weight of entertainers......

I guess things have changed more than I realized......I must rethink my cruise vacation now......instead of relaxing, meeting people and experiencing new destinations I should be looking at peoples appearances.....gee, I wonder what the dancers are thinking when they look into the audience........it goes both ways..... no offense...but this topic cracks me up......

I hate it when people jump all over a new member. Every one has had to have a first post.

But when people post this as one of their first posts (because this is such a great concern on a cruise :rolleyes: ) . . . it really makes me wonder about a person :eek: .

My best friend is a singer currently with Princess. He is 36-years-old and lemme tell you, he is in a constant state of panic about his weight/looks. He is, I guess, much older than most of the guest entertainers, and in my opinion, looks fab. It's true about the weight, too -- their costumes are custom-made and it is frowned upon for there to be any alterations, especially if they have to be let out! His will power amazes me. I've cruised with him twice and I gained about 6 pounds each time. He, however, works out daily and refuses to eat bread, pastas, or sweets. I can't imagine being tempted 24/7 like that and having my livlihood depend on how I looked. I guess that's why I sit at a desk and not dance around in front of people, huh? ;)

I'll let the polls speak for themselves. Thanks joanne1 for the defense. This honestly was nonsense curiosity. If this offended someone, im sorry.

I am not sure how you could have taken my comment as coming to your defense . . . it was actually the exact opposite - funny thing is I guess I just didn't put enough sacrasim in to my typing ;) .

I have a daughter who is a Line Captain (in charge of the dancers) with Princess and I have never heard anyone ask such a question. Sometimes they do struggle but most of them are in the gym daily and do watch what they eat. Scary thing is there is another cruiseline that has weigh-ins every other day . . . needless to say they don't keep dancers for very long, one contract and they find someone else to work for.

My best friend is a singer currently with Princess. He is 36-years-old and lemme tell you, he is in a constant state of panic about his weight/looks. He is, I guess, much older than most of the guest entertainers, and in my opinion, looks fab. It's true about the weight, too -- their costumes are custom-made and it is frowned upon for there to be any alterations, especially if they have to be let out! His will power amazes me. I've cruised with him twice and I gained about 6 pounds each time. He, however, works out daily and refuses to eat bread, pastas, or sweets. I can't imagine being tempted 24/7 like that and having my livlihood depend on how I looked. I guess that's why I sit at a desk and not dance around in front of people, huh? ;)
I don't know. I had a friend who worked at Baskin-Robbins one summer. After about a week, she never wanted to see ice cream again. That has persisted for decades since. :)

I have been known to be, ahem, friendly with someone who works on a ship. He certainly appreciates that he doesn't have to shop, store, cook or clean up for his meals, just like regular passengers, but he eats when it's meal time, and acts like a normal person. :)

Not everyone is on the famous "seafood diet". You know: I see food, and I eat it.

JMO YMMV :)

Archived