HAL secrets

Orcrone

Here's a secret no one has mentioned yet. Access to the bow-deck.

On an S-class ship you go forward on the lower promenade deck, to where you can cross over from one side of the ship to the other (port to starboard, or visa versa). There are two closet like chambers, glass walled, with doors facing inward. Open the door on one of them and climb the stairs you'll find inside. Those stairs will lead you up one deck, then turn and -- if the door isn't open -- push the water-tight door open and step through (carefully) and out onto the forward bow deck.

You are serious? Why do you think a water-tight door is closed? To have it opened by a random passenger? In my honest opinion you are lucky when it is open and bad luck when it is closed, but do not start messing with these things by yourself.

Kind Regards,

SeaSheep

You are serious? Why do you think a water-tight door is closed? To have it opened by a random passenger? In my honest opinion you are lucky when it is open and bad luck when it is closed, but do not start messing with these things by yourself.

Kind Regards,

SeaSheep

Your point is well taken, but it has been previously noted NOT to go out there during times of high winds/heavy seas. OTH, warm, calm nights as in sailing from one of the ABC islands to another is heaven. Generally the ship is moving very slowly in this area since the islands are so close together. I've actually played basketball with crew members by moonlight.:)

Kind Regards,

SeaSheep

This thread was last posted in April of 2011..Do you really think the poster will still see your post..LOL

BTW, unless that door has a notice on it which states, "Do Not Open" or "For crew use only" or even "Emergency Exit Only", there is no danger to either the ship or Psgrs if a Psgr opens it & walks out on deck..

Cheers...Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

They still do appetizers in the Crow's Nest before dinner. Happy hour is 4-5pm and 11pm-12am - your second drink is $1, and that includes all drinks on the bar menu, except for top shelf liquors. If you're good to the bar staff, they're good to you, and that's all I'm gonna say on that subject :D

Some days for BBQs on deck or special parties in the Crow's Nest they do an all you can drink for a set price. If you've got the choice between blended or on the rocks, on the rocks gets you your money's worth without brain freeze ;) If they really have to screw up the itinerary because of weather or mechanical probs, they sometimes have a free all you can drink for a couple hours to help appease the masses. If there's a big lineup to get whatever drink you want, there's usually a table with a bunch of glasses of "rum punch" or beer or whatever they set up that you can just come up and take without waiting.

They're still doing $7/day all-you-can-laundry, but I think you need to pay the $7/day your whole trip to get that deal. Otherwise, there's still the one time use fee and self service laundry too. If you have the choice of paying $50 extra for another bag of luggage on the airline or bringing fewer clothes and laundering them, I'd do laundry.

Great tips! I especially thought these were helpful. :)

How do you sign up for the unlimited laundry for $7/day?

We always sign up with the Cabin Steward on boarding day. There is a basket and a laundry slip, so if you check off "unlimited" day 1 you are good to go. I bring a pop-up laundry basket and a mesh bag for unmentionables. Keeps everything organized.

Less than a month to sail on the Prinsendam again, and now I want to print all these posts to see if I can check them all off!

We always sign up with the Cabin Steward on boarding day. There is a basket and a laundry slip, so if you check off "unlimited" day 1 you are good to go. I bring a pop-up laundry basket and a mesh bag for unmentionables. Keeps everything organized.

Less than a month to sail on the Prinsendam again, and now I want to print all these posts to see if I can check them all off!

Heard that Unlimited Laundry went up on most HAL ships to $9.00 a day...Also instead of $20 per bag heard it's now between $26 & $30 a bag depending on the ship, but still a great bargain..

Cheers...:)Betty

No need to "sign up" for it.

We just check off the type of service we want right on the form that is submitted with the laundry bag.

You may want to wait until you fill your first laundry bag to see how much it holds before you decide whether you really need the unlimited service, or if paying by the bag will do.

We discovered that those bags will hold a lot more laundry than is apparent from first appearance.

• 3 weeks later...

Heard that Unlimited Laundry went up on most HAL ships to $9.00 a day.

We just called Ship Services and got unlimited laundry for $7/day on our November cruise. Fewer suitcases for us.

We have had this before and, most days, received laundry back the same day it was submitted. Of course the cash tip may have helped. :)

At dinner, if you can't decide on which desert; have your waiter bring one of each to the table.

Try a taste (or two). Pass to the right. Try a taste (or two). Pass to the right, etc.

Then, order one or two of your favorite.

Edited by Calgon1

• 3 months later...
Yep Jim, you'll get them on your 2nd cruise, just as the Rev answered. Have an awesome cruise and enjoy!

If you're jealous, or if you just want to expand your collection, there is a lively trade in them on E-bay.

On the Mariner website there is actually a complete catalog of them, since they started issuing them...:)

At dinner, if you can't decide on which desert; have your waiter bring one of each to the table.

Try a taste (or two). Pass to the right. Try a taste (or two). Pass to the right, etc.

Then, order one or two of your favorite.

Seriously, that's a great way to pass noro or any other germs.

Can't remember where in the thread... but it was mentioned about horderves in the crow's lounge, I think 4-5pm? Can someone provide some info? We were in there once and a table next to us had some but we figured they must have ordered them. :)

:confused:

1) Is there access to the bow on the Zuiderdam? Do you need to go "through the theater" , through a "Crew Only" door or is it an easily accessed exit?

2) Can you register for the Cooking Classes prior to cruising? What types of classes are offered on the Zuiderdam?

3) We have a tub/shower combination in our verandah room. Is it a whirlpool bathtub? Is the showerhead handheld?

4) Is the shampoo/conditioner separate or 2-in-1?

5) Does HAL do anything special to celebrate Easter on its ships (deco, meals)?

Again, thanks to all for your wonderful tips. This will be our first HAL cruise

(Panama Sunfarer in April). So excited!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any "up-to-date" on board secrets about the VEENDAM? It seems everything specific to the VEENDAM on this thread is "old information" with the most recent being from 2008. Since we are planning a special cruise on this ship in June, we'd love to know some "special" things about this ship that will enhance our week-long journey. (We'd also like to know if there is anything we should "avoid"...we don't want to do anything that will spoil our trip!) :-)

I look forward to any and all responses on this thread that are geared toward the VEEDAM...Cruise Critic members are always the best source for information such as this!

Thanks in advance! ;-)

Debjo

OK, don't anyone get on me for using the term "redneck" here...On the Maasdam, if you book an inside cabin at the aft (such as category M687) you get access to a "secret" deck. We booked this on a Caribbean cruise and it came in quite handy as our kids were not feeling great, so we could head 2 doors down with a bottle of wine and hang out on the "redneck deck". It saved the cruise for us because we were close enough to the kids that they had walkie talkies or could get to us in 10 footsteps, yet we had a huge deck and wonderful view and could stay out and pretend we were on a "date". It's tough sometimes travelling with 4 in an inside cabin, but no complaints! Just glad we can do it at all!

OK, don't anyone get on me for using the term "redneck" here...On the Maasdam, if you book an inside cabin at the aft (such as category M687) you get access to a "secret" deck. We booked this on a Caribbean cruise and it came in quite handy as our kids were not feeling great, so we could head 2 doors down with a bottle of wine and hang out on the "redneck deck". It saved the cruise for us because we were close enough to the kids that they had walkie talkies or could get to us in 10 footsteps, yet we had a huge deck and wonderful view and could stay out and pretend we were on a "date". It's tough sometimes travelling with 4 in an inside cabin, but no complaints! Just glad we can do it at all!

LOL no comment on "redneck" from me! Sounds like a great cabin location.

You can ask up front for 2 escragos, 6 lobster tails, etc. Don't be shy about the items you love to eat so much and can't get at home. Can't decide which desert that night? order both!

We were cruising Volendam on Thanksgiving and had a traditional American meal. However, the next evening I was craving more pumpkin pie. Not on the menu that night but they found some for me!