HAL secrets

Orcrone

trying to get to the bow on the Ryndam

You could take the path less traveled.

Head there from inside the ship on Promenade Deck. Go forward through the show lounge on starboard side (port side probably works, too). When you get to the door (it will be marked in some fashion not to go through ;) ) open it and go through. Then head past the stairs directly to the door to the bow. The only climbing you'll have to do is to get through the opening to the bow.

RevNeal, trying to get to the bow on the Ryndam for the Lower Promenade deck

are the stairs the ones that show between C320 and C321?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm not RevNeal ... but those stairs will just take you up or down between decks. IIRC on the Statendam (Ryndam twin) we had to go out a doorway next to the stage on the starboard side of the Promenade deck. I think there's one on the port side that works as well.

We too, are fairly inexperienced cruisers, but at our dinner table, were a few old salts. Often, they would try to dine with the officers, as they had accumulated many days on HAL, but the cruise we were on was filled. They were able to get a table in the officers dining room on the southbound/return sailing on their B2B.

One of the activities, they suggested, on board was a tour of the kitchen. It is really interesting to see the huge storage areas, and culinary arts that are practiced on board. You'll get a cookie or two at the end of the tour as well.

Peggy

All the Vista ships have wired access in the cabins. All the ships have wireless hot-spots around the ship. Sometimes you get lucky and can access from your cabin.

As a past passenger on Carnival you get Nothing! extra from HAL while onboard. You do have rights to Mariner rates for booking (if there's anything for your cruise), but you have to sail on HAL once before you get the tile, invitiation to the Mariner's Party, free drink there, and the good nuts.

youa are wrong,we cruised costa before,and I been told twice,that we will get invitation to Mariner's Party:)

Someone said you could gain entry to the bow from the theater but did not give directions once you got to the theater....more info if available. Also I have noticed people recommending several tours onboard like "Of the kitchen" what tours ARE available on the veendam or how do you find out once on board and how do you sign up. I will have access to the neptune lounge. can I arrange onboard tours through them?

Love this thread, I agree with all I have read.

I have been on four HAL cruises - two of them really long ones 21+ days and the thing I loved was never having to deal with deck chair SAVERS. There were

always enough chairs and we have always seen piles of them stacked up in corners out of the way. I guess this is their overflow supply!!!!! I sure hope this is true on our 20 day Caribbean trip next February. ;)

youa are wrong,we cruised costa before,and I been told twice,that we will get invitation to Mariner's Party:)

And are your other sources in a position to know? Or is that just the answer you prefer to hear?

The question asked on the form---the form which generates the invitation---is how many sailing days do you have on HAL.

Now, it's no skin off my nose if you want to include your Costa days in that total. :rolleyes:

btw---since this is a very old thread, and I'm not going back to see how long ago I posted the reply you quoted---some of the information you quoted, the part about Internet access---is obsolete. The areas of wireless access have been greatly expanded on all the ships.

And, the format of the Mariners Party has changed as well.

Ken,

You are absolutely correct. If there is a problem, let them know, i.e., the beds not together, a used robe, etc. They can't fix what they don't know about. Be assertive if the cabin steward doesn't "understand" English. He understands more than you know. Call the front desk or the Hotel Manager. From reading these boards, you know our expectations. You should have the same. From what I can see from these boards, we have HIGH expectations. Some things are easily corrected, some take a little more "assertiveness". Within reason, they will be very accommodating, especially, if you have a smile in your voice with the request.

On our first modern-day cruise on the Zaandam we had a Mini-Suite above or below (can't remember which) the Ocean Bar. Our cabin was filled with great combo music each night. Close to the end of the voyage, I was asked about our experience and commented that everything was great with the exception of the unexpected music. What a surprise, when we settled our account, to find a $100 credit:D applied to our stateroom and a comment back that the issue would be addressed during the next drydock! Totally unexpected and it has made us really love returning to the Dam ships as often as we can.

Well, when we were on Volendam we didn't get an invitation to the Mariner's party and we were past passengers of many Carnival-family cruiselines (Princess, Carnival). We also didn't expect to.

Also, when we went on Costa last year, the fact that we had been on HAL (and Princess and Carnival) did not entitle us to the past passenger party. I really don't believe it works that way.

On the Noordam, I am pretty sure we gained entry to the bow on deck 4. We were directed there by one of the crew. We walked all the way forward, pushed open a door on the starbord side and then came upon a door that was bolted shut. We undid the bolts and walked out onto the bow. I wouldn't venture out there when the ship is moving.:D

• 1 month later...

I've been reading this thread which dates back a few years so wondered which of these secrets are still going on. We will be on the Oosterdam in a VF cabin for a 7-day Alaska cruise in August. These were the "secrets" that most interested me...

Complementary lemonade at the pool (at a certain time in afternoon?)

Pizza available in the Lido (all afternoon and evening?)

Iced tea in the afternoon served out on deck

Dutch Pea Soup served on deck in Glacier Bay

Complementary hot chocolate with whipped cream & sprinkles

Chocolates in the Explorer's Lounge after dinner

Cookies and ice cream in the Lido every afternoon

Food at the Lido is just as good as in the dinning room. (with table cloths and candles for dinner?)

Write in Eggs Benedict or Cinnamon rolls on the breakfast room service

card and get it even though its not printed.

Freshly squeeze orange juice

Charge for bottled water but free refills in the Lido

Very, comfy beds in all cabins (Does that include an upper bunk for a 12 year old?)

Cut flowers and fruit bowl in the room

Magnifying mirror

Regular hairdryer that plugs in in a desk drawer on Vista ships

Real patio furniture on the verandas (not plastic)

Hand-held Showers

Bath and soap, shampoo and conditioner, a body wash or lotion of some kind, shower cap in bathroom (Are these bar soaps or dispensed from the wall?)

Complimentary canvas ‘Tote’ for port calls

Robes in all cabins (larger sizes available on request)

Personalized stationery

On Vista-class ships, all cabins have a fridge which can be emptied and used with no charge

Wood chaise lounges on the Promenade deck

One can walk completely around the ship on the Lower Promenade deck

Cloth hand towels in the public restrooms

Art tour brochure available and mp3 tour can be downloaded from HAL

website

Exploration cafe has a good choice of books, as well as the 'take one, leave one corner' for the paperback exchange. And a puzzle corner with jigsaw puzzles up to 4,000 pieces.

Also someone wrote:

On a tour of the kitchen we were told that if we would like any recipes, for anything on board just write it down and give it to your waiter who will direct it to the chef- the recipes will arrive ASAP

And to get to the bow there were two comments for the Oosterdam. Which is correct? And if it is the second... should we be ignoring a "Crew only" sign??

1. The "secret access" on the Oosterdam is via a hallway by the fitness center

2. On Vista ships you have to go forward on the Upper Promenade deck, through "Crew only" doors and the crew lounge, to access the forward bow. It's opened to passengers on Alaska cruises and Panama Canal transits (at least).

Any comments and updates appreciated.

Thanks, Eremita

I've been reading this thread which dates back a few years so wondered which of these secrets are still going on. We will be on the Oosterdam in a VF cabin for a 7-day Alaska cruise in August. These were the "secrets" that most interested me...

Food at the Lido is just as good as in the dinning room. (with table cloths and candles for dinner?)

Very, comfy beds in all cabins (Does that include an upper bunk for a 12 year old?)

Magnifying mirror

Hand-held Showers

Bath and soap, shampoo and conditioner, a body wash or lotion of some kind, shower cap in bathroom (Are these bar soaps or dispensed from the wall?)

Personalized stationery

On Vista-class ships, all cabins have a fridge which can be emptied and used with no charge

website

Exploration cafe has a good choice of books, as well as the 'take one, leave one corner' for the paperback exchange. And a puzzle corner with jigsaw puzzles up to 4,000 pieces.

Also someone wrote:

On a tour of the kitchen we were told that if we would like any recipes, for anything on board just write it down and give it to your waiter who will direct it to the chef- the recipes will arrive ASAP

And to get to the bow there were two comments for the Oosterdam. Which is correct? And if it is the second... should we be ignoring a "Crew only" sign??

1. The "secret access" on the Oosterdam is via a hallway by the fitness center

2. On Vista ships you have to go forward on the Upper Promenade deck, through "Crew only" doors and the crew lounge, to access the forward bow. It's opened to passengers on Alaska cruises and Panama Canal transits (at least).

Any comments and updates appreciated.

Thanks, Eremita

Nice long post, lots of detail...

Your question:

Are these current?

YES :)

Magnifying mirror

Hand-held Showers

Personalized stationery

website

I'm not sure that all of these are current. During our recent Amsterdam cruise, we never saw lemonade by the pool, although iced tea was always available indoors and out (sometimes served). Pizza was by the pool, not in the Lido. And yes, the Lido always had cookies and ice cream in the afternoons, and for dinner, they did have tableclothes on the table plus some of the same foods as at dinner (such as the appetizers). They also had fresh squeezed OJ available each morning.

Cabins definitely had comfy beds--HAL is famous for this--and fruit bowls, but no fresh flowers, although fresh flowers were everywhere throughout the ship. There was a wall hair dryer in the bathroom plus a regular hair dryer in a drawer by the desk (only one plug available). Toiletries include bar soap, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and moisturizer, all Elemis spa products, plus there was a shower cap. We did get a small canvas tote prior to the first port, there are robes, and there is stationary with the HAL logo.

Yes, wood chaise lounges, yes, lower promenade completely wraps the ship, and yes, all of the public restrooms do have cloth towels. There is a self-guided iPod tour of the art that you can borrow from the Explorers Cafe; I don't know if this is available from the HAL web site. And finally, the Explorers Cafe does have a great selection of books to borrow, puzzles, games, AND the "take one, leave one" paperback book exchange.