HAL secrets

Orcrone

Thank you for the responses. Looks like we will be having a great time on the cruise.

I am curious about the cloth towels in public rooms. I suppose washing towels is actually easier than dealing with paper but what a job!

And I hope someone with experience with an upper bunk in a VF quad will report on its comfort. One poster much earlier in the thread specified LOWER when describing how comfortable the beds were. Makes me wonder about that upper. Either and 11- or 12-year old will be in it.

Eremita

Thank you for the responses. Looks like we will be having a great time on the cruise.

I am curious about the cloth towels in public rooms. I suppose washing towels is actually easier than dealing with paper but what a job!

And I hope someone with experience with an upper bunk in a VF quad will report on its comfort. One poster much earlier in the thread specified LOWER when describing how comfortable the beds were. Makes me wonder about that upper. Either and 11- or 12-year old will be in it.

Eremita

The towels are great- they are wash cloth size, rolled and displayed- ready for use.

The towels are great- they are wash cloth size, rolled and displayed- ready for use.

I think the towels are part of HAL's attempt to be as "green" as possible--but I wouldn't want to be in charge of laundry either! :p

Someone said you could gain entry to the bow from the theater but did not give directions once you got to the theater....more info if available. Also I have noticed people recommending several tours onboard like "Of the kitchen" what tours ARE available on the veendam or how do you find out once on board and how do you sign up. I will have access to the neptune lounge. can I arrange onboard tours through them?

On the beautiful Veendam, access to the bow can be had from the promenade deck going forward from the Rubens Lounge on either side of the stage.

You will encounter several bulkhead doors. Keep moving forward and you will end up on the bow deck.

This is not available when the ship is at sea but can be accessed while in port.

Best kept secret on the Westerdam ---- this applies to one lady only ----- on the 19th day of our recent cruise I was in the crows nest when a lady came up and blurted out "I did'nt know this was here - I thought the observation deck was an outside observation deck ?" --- how many people do have you met that still ask where the Lido is on the last day of the cruise ?

• Bagels and lox from Room Service every morning
  • Asking the room steward to bring an extra large bathrobe to switch out the one in the room (and a small for Cameron - he looks so cute).
  • Standing on the top deck to watch the bottom of Lion's Gate Bridge in Vancouver
  • The glass elevator on Vista ships
  • Bringing elegant scented room spray to "create a mood"
  • Drinks of the day - they get me out of the "Grey Goose Martini" rut I am in (not that a Grey Goose Martini is bad . . .)

I can't believe in all of these posts that no one mentioned the cinnamon ice cream. My husband thought he'd died and gone to heaven. On our first HAL cruise (Noordam 2007) it was never on the same side as the bread pudding.

Several mentioned refrigerators in the rooms. Those are NOT refrigerators, at least on Noordam, they are coolers. More like an ice chest or picnic cooler. Don't put perishables such as milk into them.

Some items on the list were not in all cabins, but just deluxe suites. Fresh flowers and personalized stationery come to mind.

Notes to self:

Order eggs Benedict and cinnamon rolls from room service even though they aren't on the breakfast menu.

Look for those chocolates in the Explorers Lounge which I didn't see even once in 22 days.

Find the fresh squeezed OJ.

Ask about the dipped strawberries.

Ask for recipies.

My additions to the list:

1. Whenever you see a Purell dispenser, use it.

2. Whenever you see paper towels or wet wipes in the restroom (in addition to cloth) use them on the door handles when you let yourself out of the restroom, there should also be a container just outside the door to collect them.

3. The not so secret, but not very well known forward deck that you gain access to by going through the spa and exercise area. A great uncrowded place for a sail away celebration.

4. Cinnamon ice cream, of course!

...and since there was some discussion of it in this thread. On our first HAL cruise we received the blue tiles and an invitation to the mariners cocktail party, but not the mariners luncheon, because of a prior cruise on Carnival. We did not ask for an exception to HAL's policy to get these things.

Have a great day! CJ

...and since there was some discussion of it in this thread. On our first HAL cruise we received the blue tiles and an invitation to the mariners cocktail party, but not the mariners luncheon, because of a prior cruise on Carnival. We did not ask for an exception to HAL's policy to get these things.

We know people who received 100 day Mariner medallions on their second HAL cruise. They just assumed it was because of their days on Princess.

Does HAL give an award for 25 days of sailing? What is the first award level? Do they notifiy you that you receieve an award? :confused:
You get a blue lapel pin for 25 days. Ours were left on the bed by the steward the night before the Mariner's party. On our last cruise our red 50-day pins were left several days before the Mariner brunch. That's it. I think the first "ceremony' of any sort is for the 100-day copper pin and medallion.

• 5 months later...
I've been reading this thread which dates back a few years so wondered which of these secrets are still going on. We will be on the Oosterdam in a VF cabin for a 7-day Alaska cruise in August. These were the "secrets" that most interested me...

Complementary lemonade at the pool (at a certain time in afternoon?)

Pizza available in the Lido (all afternoon and evening?)

Iced tea in the afternoon served out on deck

Dutch Pea Soup served on deck in Glacier Bay

Complementary hot chocolate with whipped cream & sprinkles

Chocolates in the Explorer's Lounge after dinner

Cookies and ice cream in the Lido every afternoon

Food at the Lido is just as good as in the dinning room. (with table cloths and candles for dinner?)

Write in Eggs Benedict or Cinnamon rolls on the breakfast room service

card and get it even though its not printed.

Freshly squeeze orange juice

Charge for bottled water but free refills in the Lido

Very, comfy beds in all cabins (Does that include an upper bunk for a 12 year old?)

Cut flowers and fruit bowl in the room

Magnifying mirror

Regular hairdryer that plugs in in a desk drawer on Vista ships

Real patio furniture on the verandas (not plastic)

Hand-held Showers

Bath and soap, shampoo and conditioner, a body wash or lotion of some kind, shower cap in bathroom (Are these bar soaps or dispensed from the wall?)

Complimentary canvas ‘Tote’ for port calls

Robes in all cabins (larger sizes available on request)

Personalized stationery

On Vista-class ships, all cabins have a fridge which can be emptied and used with no charge

Wood chaise lounges on the Promenade deck

One can walk completely around the ship on the Lower Promenade deck

Cloth hand towels in the public restrooms

Art tour brochure available and mp3 tour can be downloaded from HAL

website

Exploration cafe has a good choice of books, as well as the 'take one, leave one corner' for the paperback exchange. And a puzzle corner with jigsaw puzzles up to 4,000 pieces.

Also someone wrote:

On a tour of the kitchen we were told that if we would like any recipes, for anything on board just write it down and give it to your waiter who will direct it to the chef- the recipes will arrive ASAP

And to get to the bow there were two comments for the Oosterdam. Which is correct? And if it is the second... should we be ignoring a "Crew only" sign??

1. The "secret access" on the Oosterdam is via a hallway by the fitness center

2. On Vista ships you have to go forward on the Upper Promenade deck, through "Crew only" doors and the crew lounge, to access the forward bow. It's opened to passengers on Alaska cruises and Panama Canal transits (at least).

Any comments and updates appreciated.

Thanks, Eremita

Thank-you Eremita. You went through over two years of posts to compile this for us. I appreciate it.

I've heard of some people complaining about recent cost saving measures. Based on this list, can some recent cruisers tell us what (if anything) has been cut? Perhaps new perks have been added?

The one thing that I can help with--You can still download an art tour for your ship from the Holland America website at http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Enrichment.action The website is a bit odd. It will bring up the postcast for last ship that you hovered over, rather than the one that is currently selected. If you find this happening, select a different tab and try again.

We were on Amsterdam in May. Here are the things I can confirm:

*Iced tea served on deck in the afternoons

*Pizza by the pool until I believe 5 p.m.

*Cookies and ice cream available in the Lido daily through the afternoon

*Tableclothes in the Lido for dinner; food includes many of the exact same menu items served in the dining room

*Freshly-squeezed orange juice available in Lido at breakfast

*Comfy beds in all cabins

*Fruit bowls in all cabins

*Other cabin ammenities: magnifying mirror, real hair dryer (plug in anywhere), robes, HAL stationary, and in the bathrooms, bar soap, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, and moisturizer, all by Elemis spa

*Wood chaise lounges on all decks

*Cloth hand towels in all bathrooms

*Ability to walk around the entire ship on the promenade

*MP3 guide to ship's artwork available to be borrowed from ship's library

*Excellent library in the Exploration Cafe as well as DVD selections and various games, including Scrabble and puzzles

We were on Amsterdam in May. Here are the things I can confirm:

*Iced tea served on deck in the afternoons

*Pizza by the pool until I believe 5 p.m.

*Cookies and ice cream available in the Lido daily through the afternoon

*Tableclothes in the Lido for dinner; food includes many of the exact same menu items served in the dining room

*Freshly-squeezed orange juice available in Lido at breakfast

*Comfy beds in all cabins

*Fruit bowls in all cabins

*Other cabin ammenities: magnifying mirror, real hair dryer (plug in anywhere), robes, HAL stationary, and in the bathrooms, bar soap, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, and moisturizer, all by Elemis spa

*Wood chaise lounges on all decks

*Cloth hand towels in all bathrooms

*Ability to walk around the entire ship on the promenade

*MP3 guide to ship's artwork available to be borrowed from ship's library

*Excellent library in the Exploration Cafe as well as DVD selections and various games, including Scrabble and puzzles

btobey--Thank-you. Games, fresh OJ and a comfortable bed... I won't miss anything that I have at home. Plus, I'll get surreal blue seas and sunshine.

Do you have a review anywhere? You have a quick eye for details.

Yes fateknows, I wrote a review after our trip on this site; you can read it here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=42129

Glad you think I have an eye for detail--I guess that's what helped me to become the #1 Reviewer on Amazon.com also. ;)

btobey,

That was a very honest and informative review. It is nice to have someone tell me like it is rather than how it should be. I'm still very excited about my cruise and can't wait. I can see why you are the #1 reviewer for Amazon.

Yes fateknows, I wrote a review after our trip on this site; you can read it here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=42129

Glad you think I have an eye for detail--I guess that's what helped me to become the #1 Reviewer on Amazon.com also. ;)

I liked the part about the "mental detectors" best. :)

• 2 weeks later...
And are your other sources in a position to know? Or is that just the answer you prefer to hear?

The question asked on the form---the form which generates the invitation---is how many sailing days do you have on HAL.

Now, it's no skin off my nose if you want to include your Costa days in that total. :rolleyes:

btw---since this is a very old thread, and I'm not going back to see how long ago I posted the reply you quoted---some of the information you quoted, the part about Internet access---is obsolete. The areas of wireless access have been greatly expanded on all the ships.

And, the format of the Mariners Party has changed as well.

THEY ASKED ME IF I EVER SAILED WITH COSTA,PRINCESS,HAL OR CUNARD.I SAD YES AND I HAD ADDITIONAL. 5% DISCOUNT TO MY HAL CRUISE AND AS I SAD BEFORE I SPECIFICLY ASKED ABOUT MARINERS PARTY AND 2 PEOPLE FROM HAL ANSWERD :YES,I WILL GET INVITATION!

:pBTW WHAT INTERNET ACCESS YOU TALKING ABOUT??????:cool:

Edited by GOLDENBONNY

:pBTW WHAT INTERNET ACCESS YOU TALKING ABOUT??????:cool:

I haven't posted in this thread since last April You don't seriously believe I'm going to go back and reread whatever led up to this question, do you?

btw---perhaps you're not aware that use of all caps in a post is considered shouting.

• 8 months later...