HAL secrets

Orcrone

It wasn't a secret on the Veendam. I walked out all of the time, right through the theater...

It wasn't a secret on the Amsterdam either, you could get to the bow from the promenade, through the hatch and up some stairs. It seemed to be always open on our Alaska cruise.

What is the secret passage to the bow on the Westerdam?

Would love to find it and surprise the family!

On Vista ships you have to go forward on the Upper Promenade deck, through "Crew only" doors and the crew lounge, to access the forward bow. It's opened to passengers on Alaska cruises and Panama Canal transits (at least).

On the S and R ships one either goes forward, through the port or starboard "crew only" stage doors, and then out the water tight doors; or, one goes forward on the lower promenade deck, through a set of doors, up stairs, and out the water tight doors.

Hi, we recently returned from the Maasdam New England Cruise Sept1-8 and we enjoyed ourselves very much. We have been on 3 other cruiselines, Carnival, Norwegian, and Royal Caribbean and Holland America beats them all.

A few points of clarification, or updates from what others have said.

1) we were in an inside room and we did not receive fresh flowers but we did receive our choice of fruits each day, and a waffle style robe .

2) it is very easy to find the outer decks. just go through any door that is not marked as Crew Only or keep out! It is amazing what you discover!

3) on a tour of the kitchen we were told that if we would like any recipes, for anything on board just write it down and give it to your waiter who will direct it to the chef- the recipes will arrive ASAP

4) the laundry bag is still $14 and everything came back immaculate!

Thanks for all of the tips, there are a few we shall use on the next trip!

Apparently the deal on laundry and dry cleaning varies from cruise to cruise. You should ask at the front desk as soon as you have the time and they will tell you what is available. Earlier this year, on the Noordam, we purchased the unlimited laundry package and had everything laundered from the first day of the cruise to the next to last day. They wash, iron and fold everything.

Apparently the deal on laundry and dry cleaning varies from cruise to cruise. You should ask at the front desk as soon as you have the time and they will tell you what is available. Earlier this year, on the Noordam, we purchased the unlimited laundry package and had everything laundered from the first day of the cruise to the next to last day. They wash, iron and fold everything.

How much did that cost? I don't think we'd want to do this? But $14/bag seems well worth it to reduce the amount of laundry we bring home with us!!!

While we have sailed on HAL before, we have not sailed on the Ryndam, which we will be doing on Feb 15h....does anyone know if there are refrigerators in the rooms?

Bobbie

It depends on your cabin catgory. Here's the breakdown:

Prinsendam and Vista-class ships---every cabin has a fridge.

S- and R-classes---fridge in Penthouse suite, full Suites, and mini-suites. Other cabins may rent a fridge for a fee of (I think) $2.00/day. Have your TA put in the request ASAP if you want one.

• 4 months later...

I have a few random follow-up questions:

1) Does HAL do "express" disembarkation (ie, you get off the ship with your own luggage)?

2) Are the self laundry facilities coin-operarted or free of charge?

3) Are the hairdryers in the cabins in the bathrooms or else where? Are they attached or movable?

4) What products are included in the bathroom (soap, shampoo, etc.)?

5) Outside of meals, what type of (free) food/snacks are available? For example, when we sailed Celebrity, there was a sushi bar open just before dinner each night, there were pastries available in the lobby in the afternoon, etc.

For reference, we are sailing Amsterdam and have booked an outside cabin on the Main deck. I'm sure I'll have even more questions as our sailing date gets closer!

I have a few random follow-up questions:

1) Does HAL do "express" disembarkation (ie, you get off the ship with your own luggage)? Yes, if you're willing to get up early. It usually starts around 7:30.

2) Are the self laundry facilities coin-operarted or free of charge? Coin-op. Don't remember the price ... about $1 wash and $1 dry I think.

3) Are the hairdryers in the cabins in the bathrooms or else where? Are they attached or movable? We were on the Amsterdam 6 years ago, and then they were in the bathroom. An upgrade may have moved them to desk, like on Vistas.

4) What products are included in the bathroom (soap, shampoo, etc.)?

Hand and bath soap, shampoo and conditioner, a body wash or lotion of some kind. A shower cap.

5) Outside of meals, what type of (free) food/snacks are available? For example, when we sailed Celebrity, there was a sushi bar open just before dinner each night, there were pastries available in the lobby in the afternoon, etc. Cookies, hand scooped ice-cream in flavors that change every day ... with free liquers to pour on top. Pizza and Tacos out by the pool. Free pastries at the Explorations Cafe if you buy a coffee concoction. We won't go hungry!

For reference, we are sailing Amsterdam and have booked an outside cabin on the Main deck. I'm sure I'll have even more questions as our sailing date gets closer!

See you on-board!

Problem is many of those earlier 'tips' probably don't exist any more.

Here's a new one though. If you'r not on board an hour and a half, in a U.S port before the cruise starts, you have to pay your own way to the next port to get on. An other problem, is the 'Jones Act' might not like it!

john

h

Thanks John! I know I want to go hungry; I just wanted to start imagining all the goodies that are awaiting me. :D Also thanks for the bathroom info--our last ship had 2-in-1 shampoo (no separate conditioner), but with swimming in salt water, that just didn't cut it. No matter what, I'll definitely be bringing my own this time.

The best room on the Veendam (IMO) is 220. There is a huge balcony where you have a side and aft view. Plus right beside it at the very back of the ship is a little deck with loungers. Most days we were the only one's out there!

• 1 month later...

Free mug at bingo on the Noordam a few weeks ago... The announcer will ask for a volunteer "Bingo Commissioner" to look over the balls/blower/etc and they get a free "Dam Ships" or "Noordam" mug. Just an "FYI" :)

Problem is many of those earlier 'tips' probably don't exist any more.

Here's a new one though. If you'r not on board an hour and a half, in a U.S port before the cruise starts, you have to pay your own way to the next port to get on. An other problem, is the 'Jones Act' might not like it!

h

Is this just the first port when you starts your cruise or all other ports they stop during your cruise?

• 2 weeks later...
The Sky Deck, at night, is a good make-out spot, as there seldom is anyone there -- and, if there is, it's too dark to see what's going on.

At sail-away, HAL sells drinks in plastic collectibles with the company logo and their ships' names on them. Many people leave them behind. Start making the rounds just after the pax leave and before the waiters pick them up. Back home, you can fill them with sand, colored candies, etc. Or use them for drinks with your jealous neighbors.

...as only Tomc can say it!

Love your sense of humor, Tomc. I'm still LOL!

:D :D :D :D :D