HAL secrets

Orcrone

If one's primary reason for getting a Suite is the size factor, and you rarely (if ever) use the Neptune Lounge, the Concierge, or the other amenities, then the SS is a good compromise between the smaller A/B category outside cabins and the S category "Deluxe Verandah Suites." With the SS you get a nice sized cabin with a nice sized balcony and one or two other minor perks (personalized stationary and phone concierge) and that's about it. For me, it's perfect. I buy the unlimited laundry package to go with it, and I'm happy. But others really want all the other features -- the "suite package" -- that comes with the S category, and for them the SS is simply insufficient.

HAL nomenclature for their cabins is really screwed up, particularly in the so-called suite categories. I've written several letters about this, but to no avail. They seem to think the explinations are sufficient. And, if one is REALLY careful and reads ALL the literature -- print as well as e-media -- one can, indeed, see that the SS lacks the suite perks. I knew it because I had read everything and NOT assumed anything that wasn't printed. Hence, when I cruise on the Westerdam in an SS I knew precisely what I was buying, and I was happy with what I got. Other people (including many TAs) don't read quite so carefully or are willing to allow suggestive terminology and sloppily written category descriptions to give them the impression that something is included when it clearly is not.

I blame HAL for this. The terminology "Superior Verandah Suite" is highly misleading when it comes to definition of suites. WHAT makes the SS "superior" relative to just a "suite"? Indeed, to most North American ears (ears unaccustomed to European distinctions) "Superior" sounds better than "Deluxe." No ... the SS is really a "Superior Verandah Cabin." Either that or a "Mini-Suite." In other words ... a nearly-suite SIZED balcony cabin without most of the suite amenities. HAL should be up-front about it what this classification contains. They wouldn't sell any fewer of these cabins and would avoid the public relations problems that their sloppy nomenclature is giving them.

Is the "unlimited laundry package" only for suites?

We booked last-minute, 10 days out, and ended up with an oceanview room on Deck 1/Westerdam. It was fine for the two of us, although we usually book a balcony.

One thing I loved about HAL was that all cabin categories could order room service from the dining room menues. The sitting area in our cabin was perfect for room service meals one evening when my husband was a little under the weather.

I want to thank you all for educating me on the suite cat's available on HAL.

I can't tell you how much we appreciate the clairification.

If I could ask one more thing - so many people seem to LOVE the Veendam - which I've heard has been recently updated. And, we live in Tampa Bay area would be great to sail from home. However, just can't quite justify the S cat on this ship - it appear's there are no SS cat's. How are the verandah VA cat's? In fact, from what I'm reading it looks as if the VB's are even the same size - 225 sq. ft with a 63 sq. ft. balcony. Does this sound correct?

What are the bathroom's like? Do they have a frig in them?

Or, would you think that we might be much happier with the Zuiderdam or the Westerdam in an SS cat?

By the way what is the Neptune lounge - I see that the rate on the above mentioned ships is only 200.00 more for the SC cat = is it worth the extra 200.00?

It's over 1200.00 more on the Veendam.

THANKING you in advance for your help. . .

Hugger,

I can only answer for the Veendam and Maasdam. The only difference between an A balcony and a B balcony cabin is whether you want to be on a higher deck. I personally do not and therefore we have booked a B verandah.

The bathrooms have what they call a "whirlpool bath and shower" and a refrigerator in the cabin as well as a mini bar.

GloriaF,

When we are on board a HAL ship we always purchase the unlimited laundry package, even though we are not in a suite and therefore not entitled to the free laundry package.

Jennie

Turn around time for laundry can be 24 - 48 hours. Even in the suites we sometimes don't get things back right away. It all depends on how busy they are in the laundry room. Some it seems like everyone is sending out their laundry while other days - hardly anything except the ship's own laundry. A couple of times we have sent DH's sport shirts out in the morning and they were back after dinner on the same day.

We only send out DH's sport shirts, tuxedo shirts and dress shirts to be washed and ironed. We have sent out his slacks to be ironed and sometimes dry cleaned along with his tuxedo on longer cruises and his suit and sports jacket.

I do not send out anything like underwear or anything that I am afraid will be ruined by hot water and hot dryers. They are unable to do special items.

I appreciate the info on the verandah suite's - sounds as if you've got plenty of room in the bathroom then. Hate those little tiny shower's that they have in the cabins sometimes.

What kind of furniture is on the balcony - is there room for a lounger?

do you get any sun or are they are enclosed?

The Veendam sounds nice -

we need to get a cruise planned so we have something to look forward to - we were so disappointed when our Star Princess cruise had to be cancelled.

Funcorn,

Even though we pay for our laundry to be done on each cruise, sometimes we get it back the same day obviously due to not many people sending their laundry out. On the Maasdam 17 day cruise in July to Rotterdam, we sent out items every day. We do not send jeans and certain T shirts, but we do send out my DH's chinos and polo shirts as well as his dress shirts and business shirts that he wears with his reefer jacket.

I handwash my underwear and anything that is made of silk etc. As K.K. said do not send anything out that you would be worried about. On the Maasdam last July I think the package for 17 days was around $90. We always use it on every ship and as we fly into a port at least 3 days precruise, we find that we have spent the $90 or whatever on the first couple of send outs.

We believe in having a proper holiday with no washing to worry about.

Jennie

• 1 month later...

well, another new HAL cruiser and I have read this entire thread. Valuable info for anyone but, particularly for someone new to HAL. I have been a very happy Celebrity cruiser with a few RCCL and Carnivals' thrown in for interest. I booked direct with HAL and then was led to Cruise compete dot com. They were able to put me in touch with an agent who saved me about $500 on our upcoming Volendam cruise. They also threw in several other goodies. They advised that they are still able to discount HAL cruises. Thanks to all here for the info and the heads' up on the savings potential with TA assistance.

Can't wait for our time...

you can dramatically reduce your on-board telephone charges by bringing your laptop and using a combination of on baord wireless with I-connect, net2phone or any other vioce over internet protocol software programs, we are able to call from anywhere in the world with high speed internet for about .03 cents per minute, last summer we sailed HAL Rotterdam northern europe-baltic and called our children in Honduras everyday for a fraction of what a call from the ship would cost

Thanks all for an absolutely fabulous thread!

Great idea for saving on phone calls using the laptop. That brought the next question to mind -- is there wireless access (or wired access) in the staterooms? We are going to be on the Noordam in October, and we have a VA (I think) cabin, one of the cabins all the way aft on the fantail. We were on the Norwegian Dawn in March, but their wireless access didn't go down the hall to our cabin.

Also, having sailed on Carnival a few times, does that get me anything with HAL? I really like the idea of the tiles, and if they made me an honorary member of their club (I forget the name), that would be great! Is it possible?

Thanks again for a great (and long lived) thread!

Keep Smiling!!!

All the Vista ships have wired access in the cabins. All the ships have wireless hot-spots around the ship. Sometimes you get lucky and can access from your cabin.

As a past passenger on Carnival you get Nothing! extra from HAL while onboard. You do have rights to Mariner rates for booking (if there's anything for your cruise), but you have to sail on HAL once before you get the tile, invitiation to the Mariner's Party, free drink there, and the good nuts.

here on this thread we have finally booked a ver. cat b guarantee on the Veendam for 11-4.

I wanted to drop in and say THANK YOU again for your help and info.

We normally sail with Princess and are anxious to try HAL this time around.

WOW...what great info. I will be on my 1st HAL 12/11 on Veendam. I can't wait to experience HAL....I hope it compares well to Celebrity. :rolleyes:

sorry, got white screen , so i thought you may not have seen this, sorry 4 the dupe.

WOW...what great info. I will be on my 1st HAL 12/11 on Veendam. I can't wait to experience HAL....I hope it compares well to Celebrity. :rolleyes:

hi,

not sure if u r putting the date of the 11th on because u will b on the veendam then or if you r thinking the cruise starts on the 11th, I 2 will b on the veendam on the 11th, but , the cruise starts dec 9-16, just wanted to make sure u don't miss the boat, u will want to check your paperwork.

the more the merrier.:p ;)

We've been on many cruise lines, but never HAL. This thread has me sold!

I have a couple of questions, are the Reidel wineglasses used in the dining room, or just the alternative restaurant? A good wine glass can make even cheap wine taste better~really!

Does HAL make petit fours? QUOTE]

I'll try asking again. :) Wineglasses and Petit Fours anyone?

We sailed on Westerdam Christmas 04, and my husband still talks about the ice cream and warm cookies in the Lido during the afternoons. They change the ice cream flavor every half hour, and refill the huge cookie bowl as soon as it empties (with hot cookies from the oven, of course). Also, for Catholics, there is daily Mass on board. And the cooking classes are lots of fun, especially when the pastry chefs teach you how to make the yummy desserts. And on Christmas Eve, the staff sang Christmas Carols from each of their native lands, after midnight Mass in the theater. It was beautiful. Of course, the next day was the tsunami in Indonesia, which terrified many of the crew members until they learned that their family members at home were safe. But HAL knows how to make a holiday cruise truly special.

• 3 weeks later...
Cut flowers in the room and complementary lemonade at the pool. ...All on the Veendam last November, hope they continue.

Just curious, are those cut flowers in all the rooms, or just the suites? We're in a VB.

We sailed on Westerdam Christmas 04, and my husband still talks about the ice cream and warm cookies in the Lido during the afternoons. They change the ice cream flavor every half hour, and refill the huge cookie bowl as soon as it empties (with hot cookies from the oven, of course). Also, for Catholics, there is daily Mass on board. And the cooking classes are lots of fun, especially when the pastry chefs teach you how to make the yummy desserts. And on Christmas Eve, the staff sang Christmas Carols from each of their native lands, after midnight Mass in the theater. It was beautiful. Of course, the next day was the tsunami in Indonesia, which terrified many of the crew members until they learned that their family members at home were safe. But HAL knows how to make a holiday cruise truly special.

Wow, I was wondering about Midnight Mass for Christmas! I was very happy to read about the daily Mass on hollandameric.com. Don't you think that would be an AMAZING assignment as a priest? Say daily Mass on a cruise ship! :rolleyes:

I can't imagine what it was like for the staff after the tsunami! I remember what it was like here, and we were all devistated!

This is a GREAT thread! I've read all the pages and I'm so excited about my cruise in December that I feel like I'm going to explode! The excitement is sooooo much more than it ever was waiting for Christmas as a little girl!

We've been on many cruise lines, but never HAL. This thread has me sold!

I have a couple of questions, are the Reidel wineglasses used in the dining room, or just the alternative restaurant? A good wine glass can make even cheap wine taste better~really!

Does HAL make petit fours? QUOTE]

I'll try asking again. :) Wineglasses and Petit Fours anyone?

Can't help you with wine glasses as we are not big wine drinkers but, yes, I have seen Petit Fours at the Dutch High Tea and at the Dessert Extravaganza

When you say that you took a 17 day cruise and paid approx. $90 for laundry services, might I ask if that is truly laundry (such as in jeans and men's shirts, etc.) or does it include dry cleaning also? My husband and I will be on the 17 day Panama Canal Westerdam trip at the end of Sept. I find the idea of being able to take fewer clothes and get them cleaned very exciting. Thanks in advance for any response and I have truly enjoyed this thread as I have learned quite a bit and we have sailed Holland American 6 other times.

Emily

When you say that you took a 17 day cruise and paid approx. $90 for laundry services, might I ask if that is truly laundry (such as in jeans and men's shirts, etc.) or does it include dry cleaning also?

I can't comment on a 17 day cruise, but I was on the Westerdam on a 7 day cruise a few weeks ago. At that time, they offered an unlimited laundry package for the week for $45. But it was also a 48 hour turnaround, which limits its usefulness for a 7 day cruise. I can see it being much more useful for a longer cruise. I'm pretty sure it was laundry only -- no dry cleaning.

They also had a standing offer of $12 for a bag of laundry (again, no dry cleaning), also with a 48 hour turnaround. The bag doesn't look that big at first, but with stuffing, you can get quite a bit into it -- we managed 5 pairs of jeans (2 kids-size), 3 shirts, and a couple of pairs of socks and underwear.

Doug