HAL secrets

Orcrone

I just reread this thread, and came upon this by estj and others

"make certain you fill out your immigration form on line and have your credit card form completed before you board. The on-line immigration process dumps your data directly into the ship's data system and makes boarding a breeze!"

So I just did it for my cruise in 2 weeks on the Westerdam. Hope for good weather.

Thanks for all the good and valuable info.

Using room service as your wake-up call.

Sugar free (low carb) desserts on the menu at every meal.

Kitchen tour.

Boat builder's contest (built from materials found on the ship, has to be able to carry a six-pack in a bubbly jaccuzzi).

Maitre'ds assistant with a red jacket and white gloves toning chimes at dinner.

Having your white hat from Dutch night hand painted by your favorite HAL employee (that week).

Having a daughter called "spoiled cruiser" to travel with.

My favorite state: anticipating a cruise.

I just read this entire thread - being such a newbie to cruising and to HAL, and having booked a last minute cruise with little time for planning, this was WONDERFUL and really has me looking forward to our cruise. So thanks to all who took the time to post!

Just read the entire thread which is making me even more impatient for our next sailing on the "O". I just wish their prices were more reasonable for 2006 Hawaii sailings.... went with Celebrity for about $2k less.

What a great thread - Sincere Thanks to ORCRONE for starting this one way back last summer. Since we're new to HAL - My DH & I enjoyed reading the entire thread last night - only two weeks to sail away and now we have all kinds of ideas. (Hope no one brings those night vision goggles on this cruise - teehee). Wish REVNEAL were sailing with us too - ORCRONE - we wll see you and your gang two weeks from today.

Sandy

Charlotte

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody has mentioned the $7.00 per day per cabin all-you-want laundry and pressing service. (they even put a crease in my little white tennis socks:) ) Your clothes go out in the morning, and are back by next afternoon. This feature makes packing for longer cruises so much easier, as you have to pack less ... we'll be using service this again on our next trip!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

• 8 months later...

No one has mentioned one of the best aspects of a HAL cruise—the passengers! There hasn't been a HAL cruise where we haven't met some great people and enjoyed meals/conversation. We especially like to go to the Ocean Bar before dinner to dance and often to talk to someone already seated there. And after dinner, our venue is the Explorer's Lounge for more conversation. We've learned not to be shy about asking others if we might join them in the Explorer's Lounge. We like the assigned seating at meals and always request a table with others. And then there is the great trivia—again a super place to meet and talk to others. The six pax teams make it easy to get to know others. It doesn't matter whether you know much trivia—the fun is in meeting other people who love to cruise.

Is the "Sky Deck" on all the HAL ships? My Dh loves to look at stars!!!!:rolleyes:

We'll be on the Veendam in April!

There's certainly one on the Veendam.

All the S- and R-class ships have them; can't speak for the Vista's or the Prinsendam.

Enjoy your cruise on the Veendam. The S-class ships are my favorites.

• 1 month later...

We are going on our first HAL cruise in February. This is a fantastic thread for anyone new to HAL. Let's keep it going and up near the top so others can find it.

Do they still have the all the laundry and pressing you want for $7? That's a deal!

Hope this bumps!

Longduo

For the lady who asked about berries for dessert...fresh fruit is my favorite, and at the beginning of a cruise I ask the waiter to bring a fresh fruit cup every time I eat in the dining room...they have been happy to accomodate.

Connie