HAL secrets

Orcrone

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Thanks all for your great tips. Will be going on my first HAL cruise on 12/27/06 on the Noordam, so anymore tips about the Noordam would be appreciated. Have to keep this thread going. Great fun

....comfortable *LOWER* berth accomodations for 3 people sharing a cabin. Available in all price ranges, inside cabins up, on all ships - try to get THAT on any other cruise line!

....being able to bring your own wine aboard, to drink in your cabin or (add $15 corkage fee) in the dining room. Other lines are not even allowing bottled water aboard :eek: in the guise of public safety. Wow, someone is desperate for revenue streams!

....the daily quiz available every day in the Library after breakfast. While team trivia (played for blood, bragging rights, and free dam mugs) is fabulous fun, everyone needs a daily open book exam on esoteric subjects...don't they? (And I hope no one is going to tell me they've dropped this from the daily schedule!)

....hoarding your nightly pillow chocolates for one great sugar orgy on farewell night!

Hal doesn't permit you to bring liquor aboard, but champagne and wine is allowed. In quantity. The most I've ever brought personally was 12 bottles (we still ran out), but I read one poster mentioned 2 cases. The "problem" is getting them on board safely. I consider this a DIY carry on project - not especially convenient, and don't try early boarding before the cabins open at 1 - 1:30 p.m. (Checking bags with bottles is just asking for breakage, which is dangerous for the baggage handlers). The bottles must be packed in something that can go through the hand luggage X-ray/conveyor. I suggest a fold down trolley for the bag(s) with the wine.

Once on board, you can go to the wine desk and they will arrange for your bottle (correctly chilled, if that applies) to be waiting for you at your table in the dining room. If you don't finish a bottle, they will store it correctly for your next meal.

We're not big drinkers, so one bottle per two dinners would probably hold us. Is the $15 corkage fee per bottle? (I would assume so)

You seem fairly knowledgeable about this... what is their wine list usually like? How do their prices compare to that of a a nice restaurant (say one in which meals run US$25-50 per entree)?

Thanks to everyone for the great info!

Grab yoour Room Steward and ask them for a larger size. They usually accomadate you. :D

Is it possible to get extra-large size bathrobes? My father-in-law is how shall we say, a little "zaftig"...he would find a regular size robe unusuable. Just hoping!

Grab yoour Room Steward and ask them for a larger size. They usually accomadate you. :D

At one time this was true. The last couple of times we were told one size only was avaialable.

• 3 months later...
Hi,:) I am seriously thinking about booking my first HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam in Sept. Have any of you sailed her? Would you give me some input on her? From reading all your replies, I think I would be making a good choice. Sounds like a lot of good food:D

After 3 Celebrity cruises...I was going on my 4th one in Sept but due to unforseen circumstances had to cancel.

For those of you who have cruised both lines, do you think I will be pleased with the HAL experience?

I am 46, divorced and I sail solo...shy has never been part of my personality:) ;) And I LOVE to cruise!

Looks like you sailed the Zuiderdam in Sept. 04 ???

DH and I were on the Amsterdam cruise Jan 2, 2007. I am on the "fluffy" side. Obviously the room steward noticed, so when he delivered the robes to our cabin, one was regular sized and one was extra large. Every time I slipped on the extra large robe, actually it was a bit too big for me, I thanked Hendri. It was nice not to have to worry about what was exposed to the Room service steward delivering the AM coffee.

Happy cruising, Kathy

This actually is something that was done when the Pinnacle was first debuted and is no longer available...

Just wanted to clarify

:)

The wonderful food in the Pinnacle Grill - you can go on first night for $10 each if you call ship services (1-800-541-1576) before your date.

:)

Regarding the bathrobes:

1. If you're in an outside cabin, does that mean you get to keep the robes?

2. If you're in an inside cabin, do they have robes for you to use during the cruise? (I don't care about keeping one, but it is a nice touch during the cruise.)

• 4 months later...
At one time this was true. The last couple of times we were told one size only was avaialable.

On my cruise last December, I was plagued with the extra large robes. Practically every time I went into the changing room before going to the spa or hydrotherapy rooms I found an extra large robe in my locker. It got quite funny after a while. It was the running joke with the ladies at the front desk (as I'm no where near large enough to need one of those robes). I wore them anyway, and it was hilarious.

For Christmas DH and I bought the robes with monograms. The monograms were NOT done well, and we should have just bought the robes without. But they are super nice and I use them at home a lot!

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that everybody forgot to mention the Exploration cafe with the wonderful choice of books, as well as the 'take one, leave one corner' for the paperback exchange. And of course. the puzzle corner where jigsaw puzzles typically include up to 4,000 pieces. Some ships have 5,000 pieces but the table is too small for these. Bad planning !

But nothing can compare the service. Smiles everywhere from he staff. Always helpful and dedicated.

Louise

• 1 month later...