HAL secrets

Orcrone

Our first cruise was 23 days on the O

we are spoiled by that first experience...............one of my favorite things on a HAL ship is that they have small hand towels (washcloths) in the public bathrooms. What a difference that makes.

Go on a different line and those public bathrooms never feel as clean.......:(

and often there are PAPER towels on the floor.

I really look forward to the touch of cloth hand towels in the public baths.:)

Next year, for $2.00 a day I can can rent a 'fridge on the Zaandam. Normally only higher priced suites have them.

john

Same for me on the Oosterdam.

i know this is been awile since this has been posted but i am on a cruise to alaska in may 2008 and this bow access has me intrigued. Does the "secret" access apply to the zaandam??

How about the Oosterdam?

i know this is been awile since this has been posted but i am on a cruise to alaska in may 2008 and this bow access has me intrigued. Does the "secret" access apply to the zaandam??

It's been so long since I've read this thread that I don't remember what the "secret" access is. But I'll tell you how to get to the bow on the Zaandam:

Inside the ship. on the Promenade Deck level, head into the show lounge (I always use Starboard side, but I believe both sides work). Follow the aisle until you get to the door that heads to the backstage area; it's marked not to go through (in some fashion). Go through there. Head straight, past the stairs, to a door to the outside. There's a verrrry high step (and IIRC a stair or two) to get over.

It was our first cruise and first on HAL (to the Mediterranean) on the Prinsendam, so some of the things we noticed but maybe all the cruise lines do it...

Personalized stationery, even for my son.

I don't know about the other ships, but our balcony room had a huge walk in closet.

Soda cards and wine cards. Not really advertised prominently, ask at any bar. Also be sure to read the bulletins and notices sent to your cabin as they could have some good deals on various things (spa, internet, etc)

DVD player in the room (not sure if that is unique to Prinsendam)

$30 for all the garments you can give them for pressing only for the entire cruise (we did laundry, then sent the clothes out for pressing) They also have good prices for unlimited dry cleaning and laundry

No charge for use of the washers and dryers on board (but sometimes you do have to wait or come back, best times were after late seating dinner)

Baked Alaska parade presentation

Purel at the lido buffet and ship entrances and other areas (please use them)

Next time I'm checking out that Sky Deck!!!

It wasn't a secret on the Veendam. I walked out all of the time, right through the theater...

What is the policy about taking towels for excursions?

As you leave the ship there will be a table loaded with towels to take ashore. PLEASE remember to return them! As you reboard there will be a bin in which you may toss the dirties.

Bottled water, is it readily available on board?

It's impossible to avoid the sales table when heading ashore! There's two different sizes of bottles, for a price. There's also bottles on your cabin desk; open it and you'll find the charge on your bill.

The water from the tap is perfectly fine, IMO. You can either buy one bottle, or bring a container, then refill as desired.

The "secret access" on the Oosterdam is via a hallway by the fitness center. I am glad I had read about it in CC... or I wouldn't have found it!

I am puzzled by the fridge rental posting. I had an outside cabin on the Oosterdam... complete with refrigerator. On the first day, I asked the steward to emty the mini-bar items from it- which was done without issue.

I am puzzled by the fridge rental posting. I had an outside cabin on the Oosterdam... complete with refrigerator. On the first day, I asked the steward to emty the mini-bar items from it- which was done without issue.

All the Vista-class ships have a fridge in every cabin---as does the Prinsendam. The S- and R-class ships only have a fridge in the veranda and up cabins.

We hope to be on the Maasdam in March. Does it also have a secret passage and if so where?

Follow the directions given for the Zaandam. All the S- and R-class ships have the same access route to the bow.

All the Vista-class ships have a fridge in every cabin---as does the Prinsendam. The S- and R-class ships only have a fridge in the veranda and up cabins.

I'll have to get my TA to check this again. When I booked the Oosterdam a couple weeks ago, I asked if the VA (Deluxe Verandah Outside Stateroom) cabins had a fridge. She was told "no" but I could rent one for $2/day.

I'll have to get my TA to check this again. When I booked the Oosterdam a couple weeks ago, I asked if the VA (Deluxe Verandah Outside Stateroom) cabins had a fridge. She was told "no" but I could rent one for $2/day.