What to do for a table of 3

mommybunny21

When we were on the Zaandam last year there was a table next to us for 3 -- a couple and a daughter about 8 or 9. But, I'm not sure whether it was a table for 2 with an extra chair but it did not seem crowded.

The tables for two do not accomodate three people. You need a table for four (or more). Even if at a table for four, there is always the possibility a person traveling solo could be assigned to dine with you. You certainly can request to be seated at a table for 6 or 8 if you wish to meet new people.

I would think it would be fun to try a table for 6; you may get another couple with a child, who knows? A table for 2 would be a bit crowded and a table for 4 may work, but sometimes having a single person with you may be a little uncomfortable plus most singles are inclined to ask for larger tables so they can socialize. NMNita

Definitely request a table for 4.

Should they put you at a table for 2, the chair that they will bring to the table for your 6 year will be out in the path the waiters use to go to and from the kitchen as well as anyone who may need to leave the dining room for a few minutes. Have seen this happen many times.

I have to agree with the majority - a table for 2 with an extra chair just will not work.

This past Christmas/New Year I was on the ms Amsterdam with my daughter and granddaughter. We were seated at a table for 4 and the 4th chair remained empty the entire cruise. There was a couple behind us, at a table for four, and across from them a mother, father and daughter seated at a table for four. None of us ever had a "single" join our table.

However, the suggestion that you ask for a table of 6 (or even 8) is a good one if you want to meet and socialize with others at dinner.

Have a great cruise, but forget the table for 2 plus 1.

Valerie:)

I would think it would be fun to try a table for 6; you may get another couple with a child, who knows? A table for 2 would be a bit crowded and a table for 4 may work, but sometimes having a single person with you may be a little uncomfortable plus most singles are inclined to ask for larger tables so they can socialize. NMNita

You might even be able to request, that if possible, you be seated at a larger table with other families. Could be fun for the kids.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Request a table for 4. Chances are they will not put anyone else with you.

I would certainly hope they wouldn't put a solo traveler at a table with a young child and the parents. I think HAL tries to seat singles and solos together as much as possible, and would realize that seating a solo with a couple and their child ... especially a very young child ... could make for a very uncomfortable situation for the solo.

The worst HAL ever did to me was seat me at a table for four with another solo male traveler (quite elderly) and an elderly couple. I've never been stuck in as a "fifth wheel" with a family traveling together.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I would certainly hope they wouldn't put a solo traveler at a table with a young child and the parents. I think HAL tries to seat singles and solos together as much as possible, and would realize that seating a solo with a couple and their child ... especially a very young child ... could make for a very uncomfortable situation for the solo.

The worst HAL ever did to me was seat me at a table for four with another solo male traveler (quite elderly) and an elderly couple. I've never been stuck in as a "fifth wheel" with a family traveling together.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I can see it now......dining dynamics being what they are, Rita is seated at the " childrens' table". I want to be the fly on the wall for that one.

On our last cruise our family of 3 was seated at a table for 2 with a high chair for our child. Well, our child is 6'3" so that didn't work out to well. They did bring our son a regular chair. I wouldn't recomend three people at that size table. It was a little cramped. The second night we were moved to a table for 6. It was still just the 3 of us, but it worked out well because several nights we had a cast member a join us for dinner. With the extra seats at our table we didn't need anything special set up when we invited our guest.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Actually Rita,

When I referred to a single I didn't mean a single passenger. Quite often they will seat a member of the staff or cast at the table. It can make for interesting conversation. We have been joined at different times by the ship's Music Director (who happened to be from a small town close to where I grew up) and on a couple of occasions a cast member and a member of the cruise staff. It really was a lot of fun on every occasion.

Valerie:)

I can see it now......dining dynamics being what they are, Rita is seated at the " childrens' table". I want to be the fly on the wall for that one.

LOL ... but I'll bet the matri 'd wouldn't want to have to deal with me in that situation. :)

Trust me, it wouldn't be pretty. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Actually Rita,

When I referred to a single I didn't mean a single passenger. Quite often they will seat a member of the staff or cast at the table. It can make for interesting conversation.

I know what you mean. That was the strange thing about my 30-day cruise in January. Never once in that thirty days did a staff member or entertainer join us at our table. We had three singles seated at a table for eight, so there was certainly plenty of room.

Yet, on my Zuiderdam cruise in 2004, we had a table of four singles ... at a table for six, and one night both the food and beverage manager, as well as the onboard commediene, Julie Barr, joined us for dinner. And, that was just a shortened five-night cruise! You're right. It was a great dinner ... lots of wonderful conversation, laughter ... Julie was a hoot. The food and beverage manager also ordered bottles of wine and even soda for me. He was a great conversalist too and helped make it a memorable dinner. I was hoping for more of the same on the Amsterdam ... but it just wasn't to be.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You must have cracked up when you saw the High Chair!!!! Try fitting your 6'3" 'bably' in that!!! Talk about an Ooops. :D

It was pretty funny, but the look on the waiters face when he saw a highchair set up for our son was priceless. Where is your camera when you need it?

Archived