strange foods or just something you like added to the menu

newmexicoNita

Ok, I stole this from another thread, but it is fun and interesting. What would you like to see added to the menu on HAL ships or what is something very strange you like to eat that you can't get in restaurants or on ships?

I'll start: strange, well not too, but I could eat cucumber toast for breakfast every morning. We have an abundance of cukes in our garden this time of year and serve them anyway I can think of. As a kid we used to eat soda crackers and milk, but on a cruise ship I want Frog legs. That is the ultimate as far as I am concerned.

NMNita

Oh Nita. You opened a can of worms.

How about whole menus on a cruise. I would love to have to decide which night I would choose from the following menus.

Jean George

Alain Ducaise

Le Bec Fin

Chez Pannisse

The Herb Farm

French Laundry

Topolobampo

Nobu

Mansion on Turtle Creek

Inn at Little Washington

Farrallon (Just for you Dave)

Alioto's (Just for me Dave)

That's just a partial list. I know it's not exactly what you asked, but you sent me dreaming. If I can't have those, then I could always go for a really good BLT. Not just any BLT. A really good one. The kind of BLT that right now is starting to make me tear up just a little bit.

And in a pinch, I will take a combination of Lobsta and Beef Wellington.

Never cared much for Frog Legs. I have had them more than once, but I always thought they tasted a lot like Spotted Owl. (Insert chuckle here. I'm just kidding. About the Spotted Owl anyway.)

on a cruise ship I want Frog legs. That is the ultimate as far as I am concerned.

NMNita

Hi Nita

There are cruise ship frogs legs and then there are cruise ship frogs legs! Crystal serves HUGE frogs legs, sauteed and quite delicious! We had them as an entree one night, and when I asked a couple of nights later if we could have them as an appetizer, they served a huge platter of them.

On our recent Island Princess cruise, frogs legs were on the menu as an entree. When I ordered them, our wonderful waitress hinted against it, so we ordered something else. She brought an order of the frogs legs in addition, and they were miniscule and quite tasteless.

We love seared foie gras. Again, Crystal's excels, Oceania's is terrific, and Princess says, "you want what???".

Mike

Great thread NMNita.

OMG the warm chocolate truffle Ruth I am salivating like a Pavlov dog. I would like to see fried clams also. Perhaps crumpets with tea. Cherries jubilee would be nice. . .so many hungry thoughts

Something different? I'd like to see some Hawaiian, Japanese, and "local" food...

Lau Lau

Kalua Pig

Long Rice

Poi

Mochi

Seaweed (Nori)

Sticky White Rice

Haupia

Chicken Katsu

Meat Jun

Fish Jun

Fried Rice/Stir Fry

Chicken Adobo

Lumpia

Seriously, with all the Philipino employees, you'd think they would have some Philipino food :)

I don't know what DH is going to do for 2 weeks in NY and on the Noordam....he's going to go through "local" food withdrawls! Is any of this served?

We would like to see more menu items from the countries being visited.

A few years ago, we had a Mexican night that we thought presented the best menu items of the whole cruise. There was even a Mexican selection for breakfast in the Lido. This Mexican night has not been repeated in four subsequent cruises.

The Chinese night was welcome on a South America cruise, but an Argentine night, etc would have been well received.

Through the Caribbean we have not noticed much emphasis on local cuisine, either.

And, of course, I would love to have Dutch night back with its interesting menu items. And a Belgian waffle station on every ship.

Otherwise, we agree that milkshakes would make a great addition.

My vote goes for lamb's brains - a fantastic appetizer if correctly prepared. Best crumbed and deep fried. Yum - just like Mom used to make (really!).

Steve.

:eek: I think I might vomit.....:confused:

lol, just kidding....well, not really. It's kinda gross...

:eek: I think I might vomit.....:confused:

lol, just kidding....well, not really. It's kinda gross...

Well, yes, but only if you think about it too much. We used to have them quite a lot as children, but as an adolescent I said 'No Way'. I redeveloped the taste in my twenties. Really quite a delicacy.

Now as for snails - double yuk from me;) .

How about whole menus on a cruise. I would love to have to decide which night I would choose from the following menus.

Jean George

Alain Ducaise

Le Bec Fin

Chez Pannisse

The Herb Farm

French Laundry

Topolobampo

Nobu

Mansion on Turtle Creek

Inn at Little Washington

Sounds fabulous.

What do you suppose dinner at these places costs per person? $150?

Imagine what that sort of pricing per person per night will do to our cruise fares?

I'm not quite ready to increase our fares all that much in order to eat 'Mansion at Turtle Creek' caliber.....speaking only for myself, of course. :)

My vote goes for lamb's brains - a fantastic appetizer if correctly prepared. Best crumbed and deep fried. Yum - just like Mom used to make (really!).

Steve.

OK Steve; you're watching too many Indiana Jones movies!:eek: No soup for you dude, I mean mate!

I'd go with CocunutFish and the Mexican Food

#2 wish is authentic Cuban food:

Arroz con Pollo y frijoles negros/Yellow rice with chicken and black beans

Ropa Vieja/Shredded Beef in Creole Sauce

Lechon Cubano/Cuban Style Roast Pork

The Classic: Roast pork, sauteed chicken, Moros rice, sweet plantains, ham croquette and yucca in garlic sauce

Bistec Empanizado/Breaded Top Sirloin Steak

Picadillo A la Cubana/Seasoned ground beef. Cuban's "Sloppy Joe"

Mmmmmm, muy rico!:)

Jean George

Alain Ducaise

Le Bec Fin

Chez Pannisse

The Herb Farm

French Laundry

Topolobampo

Nobu

Mansion on Turtle Creek

Inn at Little Washington

That's just a partial list. I know it's not exactly what you asked, but you sent me dreaming. If I can't have those, then I could always go for a really good BLT. Not just any BLT. A really good one. The kind of BLT that right now is starting to make me tear up just a little bit.

And in a pinch, I will take a combination of Lobsta and Beef Wellington.

Never cared much for Frog Legs. I have had them more than once, but I always thought they tasted a lot like Spotted Owl. (Insert chuckle here. I'm just kidding. About the Spotted Owl anyway.)

I am glad to hear you don't eat spotted owl too often. LOL As for those you mentioned: Mansion on Turtle Creek; you bet: Alioto's, I haven't eaten there in close to 40 years so don't know if it as good as before and the Inn at Little Washington: lived in the DC area for 7 years, ate lots of great places in Md but never quite made it to the Inn. of course it has the best reputation.

Nita

Hi Nita

There are cruise ship frogs legs and then there are cruise ship frogs legs! Crystal serves HUGE frogs legs, sauteed and quite delicious! We had them as an entree one night, and when I asked a couple of nights later if we could have them as an appetizer, they served a huge platter of them.

On our recent Island Princess cruise, frogs legs were on the menu as an entree. When I ordered them, our wonderful waitress hinted against it, so we ordered something else. She brought an order of the frogs legs in addition, and they were miniscule and quite tasteless.

We love seared foie gras. Again, Crystal's excels, Oceania's is terrific, and Princess says, "you want what???".

Mike

Mike, we did get them as an apptizer on Celebrity about 3 years ago but they were about the worst I have ever had. The ones I get here at Wal Mart are just as good: Crystal is out of our ball park, price wise. I guess I will have to try going to New Orleans. LOL

Oh, I wish HAL would bring back a dessert we had at the Marco Polo restaurant (remember that? Pre-Pinnacle) on Zaandam: bittersweet chocolate mousse in an almond lace basket. Drooooool.

Happy cruising,

Susan

Nita - You want frogs legs? How many? We got so many of the critters in our yard, I could catch 'em & send 'em to you. I'll even pay for shipping. In the spring, when they are, shall we say, romantic, they scream bloody murder. Right now I've got 3 or 4 regulars that spend every night at my back door.

Aloha - right there with you re: lamb brains, heck any kind of brains. I'll hold your hair if you'll hold mine. :)

I remember trying caviar & all its accompaniments on Veendam in 2001 & actually liking it. John couldn't stand it. On Noordam in February it wasn't offered. One of our CC group, Joyce, complained about the lack of it to a dining room captain. This was on the last formal night when everyone's dinner was wrong (I don't think hers ever came). If I remember correctly, they were going have the caviar for her the next day, but please don't quote me.

Now, I don't know if caviar is one of those no-no fish foods, like swordfish or something like that. If it IS OK to eat, I'd like to see it on the menu again. :)

Nita - You want frogs legs? How many? We got so many of the critters in our yard, I could catch 'em & send 'em to you. I'll even pay for shipping. In the spring, when they are, shall we say, romantic, they scream bloody murder. Right now I've got 3 or 4 regulars that spend every night at my back door.

Aloha - right there with you re: lamb brains, heck any kind of brains. I'll hold your hair if you'll hold mine. :)

I remember trying caviar & all its accompaniments on Veendam in 2001 & actually liking it. John couldn't stand it. On Noordam in February it wasn't offered. One of our CC group, Joyce, complained about the lack of it to a dining room captain. This was on the last formal night when everyone's dinner was wrong (I don't think hers ever came). If I remember correctly, they were going have the caviar for her the next day, but please don't quote me.

Now, I don't know if caviar is one of those no-no fish foods, like swordfish or something like that. If it IS OK to eat, I'd like to see it on the menu again. :)

I can't do caviar to often, it is just too salty but I do Escargot as often as possible. I will tell you what, I will take your frog legs next spring if you will take my squash. I am going crazy picking it this year. I have invited the squash bugs to eat the squash for breakfast, lunch and dinner; even they are staying away.LOL

Archived