When for Transatlantic?

BlondyX

We are looking to do a Transatlantic cruise and my question is, is it better to go in the Spring or Fall?

Here are our choice:

1) Fort Lauderdale to St. Nazaire on the Constellation- 4/13-4/25

2) Miami to Amsterdam on the Century-4/26-5/9

3) Fort Lauderdale to Amsterdam on Jewel of the Sea- 4/15-4/27

or:

1) Dover to Bayonne on the Constellation- 9/15-9/27

Other alternative is just doing the Norwegian Fjords or Baltic.

Opinions???

We are looking to do a Transatlantic cruise and my question is, is it better to go in the Spring or Fall?

Here are our choice:

or:

Opinions???

I am on that last one-we loved only 3 sea days in a row- and the price could not be beat.

Here are our choice:

or:

Opinions???

We did an eastbound TA on the Connie in April of this year and loved it. However, when you travel that way you lose an hour every day, which may not seem like much, but it does become wearing.

We are booked on the Connie westbound TA in September of '07, both for the ports and the westbound travel which gains back all the time we lost this past April.

Given the choice, I'd do a westbound. BTW, I fell in love with the high seas on the North Atlantic, and will always prefer it to a southern route, but not everyone agrees. Those cruises ending or starting in Florida will probably offer warmer weather and perhaps calmer seas. Although they can get pretty high as well.

Susan

the Dover to Bayonne looks like a great itinerary. My husband and I were going to do Alaska for our 25th anniversary, but I like this itinerary alot. Perhaps he will like it too. Whatever we choose we are going to book it on our Century cruise in November.

Although we loved our eastbound TA in the spring, losing an hour each day for six days really wrecks havoc on your bioclock. :( On the westbounds, you gain an hour's sleep each night .... nice to have after visiting a port. Westbound TAs are a little more relaxing (if that is possible!) and you arrive in the US not having to catch a looong flight home. :)

I also like to do the land part of any cruise on the front end, when I am really energized and ready for a vacation. So flying to Europe to get a TA works out better for that reason, too. By the time a cruise is over, I am so mellow that I almost have to be carried off the ship. :D We can hardly wait for the September '07 Connie TA!

Hi everyone!

I just thought I would throw a few more considerations into the mix.

First, a big consideration for me is price. If I found a bargain (going east vs. west) it could sway me. Also, I consider the itinerary and the ship. For instance, a newly refurbished ship that is going to visit ports I have not seen is a real enticement. (Note my eastbound TA aboard the Century in April.)

Now, as for this bioclock thing. I think you have to know your own body. Personally, I am more likely to experience jet lag on an eastbound flight to Europe than on a westbound flight to the US. So, starting a cruise with an eastbound flight to Europe means I am more likely to begin cruising with jetlag. On the other hand, for my bio-clock, losing an hour a day is not such a big deal.

Another consideration is this: I find Europe a more appealing place to spend time than, say, Miami. So I would rather cruise looking forward to my time in Europe instead of looking "forward" to "yawn" docking somewhere like Miami. Furthermore, on most eastbound cruises, the long string of sea days occurs at the start. I prefer to do the sea days sooner, while the ship is still "fresh" to me.

All in all, I think there are reasons that recommend both kinds of intineraries.

Happy cruising!

- Paul

Here is my choice if you wish to combine scenery and cruising:

Miami to Amsterdam on the Century-4/26-5/9

add the Norwegian Fjords

We were originally going on this combined cruise but we decided to finally enjoy May at home.

Do you prefer to spend May or September in AZ?

Most of the regulars posting on the Celebrity boards will be on this cruise:

Dover to Bayonne on the Constellation- 9/15-9/27

Constellation is probably the best ship in the Celebrity fleet.

But we love Transatlantics so much we are going back in December for another crossing that includes Casablanca.

HI BLONDY X!!!

The absolute best transatlantic crossing will occur on October 30th. 2007. Onboard the JEWEL OF SEAS...for 12 nights from classic Southampton to La Coruna, Spain...Funchal, Madeira (Portugal)...and Santa Cruz, Tenerife...then 6 blissful nights accross the southern Atlantic into Fort Lauderdale.

Some of you might call me biased...but I am calling myself...BOOKED!!!

ROSS

All crossings I've been on were wonderful! One other factor to consider is if you are touring on land in Europe before or after a crossing. I've always liked Westbound crossings to avoid some of the jet lag, but did the Spring one on Constellation in April, and, for the first time, didn't waste a few days in Europe with jet lag, but got right in the swing of things- touring Ireland for a week...:)

I guess the best solution is matched crossings!:D If only time and money weren't issues!;)

Andrew

Just my few cents' worth, as one who's done it both ways in the past year: Count me as yet another who recommends the westbound crossing, mainly for the internal-clock reason that others have stated here. After all, who wouldn't want to enjoy 25 hours a day on board, rather than 23?:)

But, on the other hand, I agree with PaulfromPA about looking forward to your destination as you travel. One's decision about whether to do the eastbound or the westbound crossing may well come down to whether your main reason for doing a transatlantic crossing at all is to get to Europe (where presumably you will spend some time), or whether you are doing it for the experience of being on a transatlantic crossing.

Andrew is right: Given ample time & funds, the best solution would be to take the ship going & coming.

Alas, apart from the Queen Mary 2, these days there is no regular transatlantic crossing--just these twice-yearly repositioning crossings.

Cheers,

John,

who spent part of last evening framing a large original print of the United States (by W. J. Aylward), & who saw the QM2 and the Zenith in port today.

We were on the Constellation in April and loved the days at sea and were well rested for our days in London. Next September we're taking the Grand Princess on the westbound transatlantic mainly because of the itinerary - stops at Iceland, Greenland, and Newfoundland - places we have not been before. Then in November '07 we'll be on the Summit for a round trip San Diego to Hawaii and back. We enjoy the days at sea! One other thing to keep it mind is the air time in returning - whether you prefer a night or day flight. I'd much rather sleep on a night flight than have the noise of a day flight.

During our Panama cruise last Fall, I discussed a TA with our waiter. He suggested Westbound because of the extra hour. Not because of our internal clocks (we can always sleep late) but because the crew is loosing an hour of sleep every day on the Eastbound. He said that by the end of the Eastbound TA, the crew is totally exhasted while they are well rested at the end of the Westbound cruise.

HI BLONDY X!!!

The absolute best transatlantic crossing will occur on October 30th. 2007. Onboard the JEWEL OF SEAS...for 12 nights from classic Southampton to La Coruna, Spain...Funchal, Madeira (Portugal)...and Santa Cruz, Tenerife...then 6 blissful nights accross the southern Atlantic into Fort Lauderdale.

Some of you might call me biased...but I am calling myself...BOOKED!!!

ROSS

No way!!!!!!!! the Sept. 15, 2007 Connie repo is best!!!!!!!! I had the choice of the one you ae talking about when My Sept. 10, 2007 Jewel of the Seas was canceled for drydock. We got the Connie for much less and almost the same ittenary we were supposed to have on JOS!!!!!

Guys, check out the price on this Connie cruise. Unless it has gone way up in price because it is selling out so fast-it is a major bargain. No suites left though.

Love those seas on the TA's!!! And the dreary day here and there. So relaxing! The Sept TA is going to be great, Susan! We have so many friends going!

Tuggers, my husband and I are considering this cruise. For the intinerary and the price. If we book our own air, are there transfers to Dover from Heathrow? I heard it was about 1hr and 50 min ride. Do you think it would be more feasable to book the entire thing with a TA or are we safe enough booking our air. Any help would be appreciated.

We did a TA on the Jewel last year and I would strongly recommend that ship as one to try. We had a great time on the cruise, different itinerary than the one you are considering, but still would recommend the ship.

Here is a link to our Yahoo group site I set for the cruise if you are interested.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jewel-transatlantic-cruise/

Have a great next cruise.

During our Panama cruise last Fall, I discussed a TA with our waiter. He suggested Westbound because of the extra hour. Not because of our internal clocks (we can always sleep late) but because the crew is loosing an hour of sleep every day on the Eastbound. He said that by the end of the Eastbound TA, the crew is totally exhasted while they are well rested at the end of the Westbound cruise.

:D VERY GOOD POINT !!!

Agreed with everything said so far....but had to comment on your post...

Cheers

Claude

;)

...have you seen the hurricane activity in the North Atlantic in mid September??? Don't look now but...two of them are starting up even as we speak...

All the more reason to venture out into the North Atlantic on the Connie in September. I love the rough seas--nothing like it to stir the blood!:)

Force 9 or 10 winds such as we encountered on the Connie's eastbound transatlantic this past April-May are all well & good. But Force 12 will really get the ship pitching & rolling.:D

Archived