Possibly choose RCCL?

crazidude1400

I am thinking about trying a cruise on RCCL...Does anyone have any strong opinions about why not to try it? What would make RCCL better than carnival, and vice versa?

P.S. I know I may get some VERY biased asnswers.

It's a good cruise line. I was very impressed with the level of service on RCCL. I'm goiIn particular, the service in the dining room and in the rooms was as good as I've seen. I'm going on the Carnival Liberty for my next cruise because of the facilities and value. But I'm sure I'll take another RCCL cruise in the future.

Absolutely, you should try RCCL. We were hesitant, wondering what the other passengers would be like, but were pleased to see that they are very similar to Carnival cruisers. We're sailing RCI again in a couple of weeks.

I was just over on youtube.com"]youtube.com looking at videos of the Mariner and getting ready for the fun! :)

Ms B

Why I like RCCL - I think the ship decor is nicer in the public areas. The Royal promanade on the Voyager/Freedom class is a great venue for many things especially the cocktail party. The show at the Ice Rink is like a 3rd production show.

Why I like Carnival - Generally better deals to be had with 3rd 4th pax. OB has the staff focused on service with a smile. Water slide, F-deck, better food.

Generally speaking, I got more than I expected from both lines and will cruise both again. Not a fan of NCL - freestyle is not my style. Wish I could afford to do Celebrity again.

In my opinion

Carnival

The food and choices of food were better on Carnival (Glory)

Less formal options at lunch time: pool side pizza, grill and buffet. Food available at all times of the day in different places. If you did not particulary care for the menu in the dining room, you could go to the buffet and get totally different options. Beds were VERY comfortable. Drinks are available at all times from the self service counter. Ice cream 24 hrs a day.

RCCL (Mariner of the Seas)

The food was good, but Glory was better. If you were by the pool, you had to dress in order to get something to eat at the buffet. And as another poster said, it was picked over sandwich and burger type stuff. Never changed from day to day for the most part. Or you could go to the Promendade and get sandwiches that were very good from the coffee shop. If you don't like the dinner menu for the dining room and decide to go to the buffet, you see the same things that are on the menu with a few additions. Could not get drinks unless it was bar type during non meal times. Ice cream was only open certain hours of the day which created VERY long lines for the 2 machines. The ship was very elegant, much more than Glory. The rock climbing wall was either closed or the line was endless. But it did look fun. Bed were VERY uncomfortable. I can sleep almost anywhere. They reminded me of camp cots. A thin mattress on a metal frame. I had a balcony room.

I would go either again based on the itenerary. They both had goods and bads. To me, it is worth the try.

Just curious - why did you post on the RCI board that you are thinking about cruising on Carnival and on the Carnival board that you were thinking about cruising on RCI?? :confused:

Since it's 'crazidude', he was probably expecting a big bashing of RCCL on Carnival board, and vice versa.:rolleyes:

Just curious - why did you post on the RCI board that you are thinking about cruising on Carnival and on the Carnival board that you were thinking about cruising on RCI?? :confused:

I noticed that too, try both and form your own opinion.

We find all the newer larger ships to be pretty much the same no matter what the line, with the exception of the Voyager Class RCCL. They are really a different experience and we would take one of them over others. That said, I guess many others feels that same, as I just booked Liberty for Feb. because, for similar cabins, RCCL was almost $1k more.

Guest YesitDonna

I didn't feel the staff is as friendly on RCCL, the beds are uncomforatable, the drinks are more expensive and I don't think they have a DOD.

Well he went over to the RCI board and stated that he wanted to try Carnival. :eek: Me thinks that someone is just trying to get a flame war going between the two.

Well...let's not fall into that trap! LOL

Food on RCI was better. They were also more willing to cater to individual tastes (they made my DD a chef's salad every night for dinner even though it wasn't on the menu; Carnival wouldn't do that).

Rooms are bigger on Carnival and the bathrooms were huge in comparison.

The Carnival ship (Victory) was prettier than the RCI ship (Splendour).

No sing-along piano bar on Splendour :(

jenjens1023 I must counter your claimthat Carnival will not cater to individual tastes. My wife will order berries and cream for every desret in the main dinning room. She gets it almost 100% of the time. She has also ordered a chefs salad for lunch and was brought a chefs salad for lunch. In my experiance I can not remember a reasonble request not being taken care in the most gracious manner.

I agree with Woodman. Carnival has honored every food request we've had. On our first cruise, I got to the buffet while it was closed down for the changeover. I stopped a worker going in and asked where the quickest place to get some fruit was, as I was getting a horrible headache. SHe told me to wait where I was and she would be right back - a few moments later she came out with a heaping platter of grapes, melons, strawberries. Excellent service on Carnival -

We tried them last January and i have to say the bed was the most unconfortable thing i have ever tried to sleep in.

The was a huge lack of activities, but that may be because we were on a smaller ship.

The pax seemed to be more uptight, and the crew was lousy. Once again could have been the ship not the line.

We probably will try RCCL again in the future, but we will make sure to get on a larger ship next time.

For now we are sticking with Carnival, they have never let us down.

Archived