Raising Our Fare (four threads combined into one)

bankerbabe

On 9/8 my father booked the Noordam on 3/21/07 for 10 days in balcony cabin 4136. The total price for 2 was $1820.52 and $50 onboard credit. He received a confirmation.

Today(9/19) he received a copy of an E- mail from Holland America that the price was an error. He could now have the cabin for $2800 with a $200 onboard credit.

Can they do this??

What can he do??

Thanks

Just my casual observation but I wonder if threats of FTC, travel media, all the years of my business HAL will lose etc are the best approach.

Putting myself on the receiving end of letters with threats of that sort make me feel defensive right from the get go.

Just a suggestion but does anyone think a different approach might be more effective?

What approach do you suggest? In all honesty I don't believe they will do anything to compensate the people that are affected by this, a bottle of champagne and a $50 credit don't even compare.

Just my casual observation but I wonder if threats of FTC, travel media, all the years of my business HAL will lose etc are the best approach.

Putting myself on the receiving end of letters with threats of that sort make me feel defensive right from the get go.

Just a suggestion but does anyone think a different approach might be more effective?

As some will know, I ended up with the TA from, well, you know where...

Anyways, I wrote a letter and with the help of Tommy, this is the last paragraph. I think it might help. I have blocked out the information containing specific TA names as that is not permitted according to board rules.

So far, for using the “services” of I am out $ . I would like to believe that your company was unaware of her actions and that this type of conduct is not something you would condone. My purpose for writing this letter is to be sure that you are aware of the issues and problems and to ask you to step in and help to resolve this situation. My family and I intend to take many more vacations and I want to know if is a company I can deal with, now and in the future. I hope that after investigating this, you will assign my file to another agent and ensure that I am refunded the $ . If a refund cannot be done, I would consider a shipboard credit or credit for future travel. I want to be reasonable and I want to believe that no company would allow conduct such as what I have received from .

I hope that you will contact me before September 11, 2006. If we cannot come to an agreement, I will have to assume that your company approves of conduct and I will feel compelled to report the actions to the appropriate state agencies and to Holland America. I am sure Holland America would not approve of someone acting on their behalf in such a manner. Hopefully however, this can all be resolved quickly and simply.

The agency wrote me a quick email saying they received the letter, but nothing has been done yet. I'll give them a week longer and then report the company to the proper authorities and send ALL of my documentation to HAL, as I am sure HAL would not want to be represented in this way. I truly hope this helps SOMEONE.

As some will know, I ended up with the TA from, well, you know where...

Anyways, I wrote a letter and with the help of Tommy, this is the last paragraph. I think it might help. I have blocked out the information containing specific TA names as that is not permitted according to board rules.

So far, for using the “services” of I am out $ . I would like to believe that your company was unaware of her actions and that this type of conduct is not something you would condone. My purpose for writing this letter is to be sure that you are aware of the issues and problems and to ask you to step in and help to resolve this situation. My family and I intend to take many more vacations and I want to know if is a company I can deal with, now and in the future. I hope that after investigating this, you will assign my file to another agent and ensure that I am refunded the $ . If a refund cannot be done, I would consider a shipboard credit or credit for future travel. I want to be reasonable and I want to believe that no company would allow conduct such as what I have received from .

I hope that you will contact me before September 11, 2006. If we cannot come to an agreement, I will have to assume that your company approves of conduct and I will feel compelled to report the actions to the appropriate state agencies and to Holland America. I am sure Holland America would not approve of someone acting on their behalf in such a manner. Hopefully however, this can all be resolved quickly and simply.

The agency wrote me a quick email saying they received the letter, but nothing has been done yet. I'll give them a week longer and then report the company to the proper authorities and send ALL of my documentation to HAL, as I am sure HAL would not want to be represented in this way. I truly hope this helps SOMEONE.

If you are talking about the computer glitch that is causing your rate to increase there is no point in blaming your TA it is Hal that is refusing to honor the price so I suggest you write a letter to their president.

Good letter and good luck.

To answer your question, all cruise lines can change the price of a cruise up to the point of departure. As a general rule they do not, unless there is an error with pricing or unforeseen costs.

So are you saying that after I have made my deposit and/or final payment, HAL can hit me up for more money when we are boarding? If this is true, I think I am cancelling my cruise tomorrow. We were quoted a price, made the initial deposit and have the final balance due date with amount.

If they really can change this and charge me more...I will not cruise and I will cancel my upcoming cruise.

And now there are at least 4 that discuss the issue of fare rates, and those with opinions about them.

You know, these are public forums, and the rules that Cruise Critic has seen fit to put on them apparently allow anyone, regardless of number of previous posts, experience level with cruising, or thoughfulness of ideas to create threads and to post their thoughts on any thread they choose. Hammybee, you took advantage of those rules to post your opinion not only on the other thread (post #140), but you started a new thread to publicize that post!

Personally, I have found some threads interesting, some foolish, and some totally without merit. I read the ones I like or that catch my eye, and I ignore those that don't. But I would not admonish others to not excerise the same rights that I enjoy. You posted your opinion, so let others do the same, and maybe refrain from deciding for others what is important and what is "noise."

Of course, this is just my humble opinion. Take it as you will.

Keep Smiling!!!:D

I can appreciate where you are coming from and hope you can do the same for me. All these posts should be collapsed into one as was done not too long ago, for the multiple threads from all those dissapointed people on land tours, in Alaska, during the mud slide.

I cannot stop anyone from posting anything. My opinion remains that the majority of the posts on this topic, INCLUDING MY OWN previous posts, are indeed noise. That does not decide anything for anyone else, does it?

all cruise lines can change the price of a cruise up to the point of departure. As a general rule they do not, unless there is an error with pricing or unforeseen costs.

Huh? Not so fast. If a cabin is booked and a deposit in place, a cruise line most definitely will not (at their sole discretion) bump up the cost of the booked cabin nilly willy until sailing day. I've never heard of such a thing.

Surely that's not what you meant to communicate here.

That would be tantamount to making a hotel reservation at $149/nt and then watching the price change daily based on market conditions until the day of arrival, when you're told the room is now going to cost you $229.18. Unheard of.

Perhaps you meant to say that cabin costs can fluctuate (up and down) after time of booking and that, in some cases, staterooms that see pricedrops are occasionally dropped for booked pax who make the effort to inquire. (???)

I tend to agree with S7S's on the FTC and legal avenues. It will take much too long to get results. Travel media maybe but only if they have connections at the right levels.

Being these cruises are so far off, and at time, with the use of the internet and forum likes these, we know theres a problem before any of the upper level management. It takes a while at each level, before someone realizes they need to go higher.

Anyone involved in this - continue what you are doing... phone calls, letters, emails, etc Continue posting because I have been told the cruise lines do indeed read these forums

And another oddity - my TA had not heard anything about this?? I would think the TA industry is like every industry and this kind of talk spreads fast. And she did say that their procedure - once pricing it online and reviewing cabin availabity - customer says it a go - they get HAL on the phone to confirm with a HAL rep while the customer waits.

And in her normal sales mumbo jumbo - she ended our conversation with saying - you are really getting a good deal for a 10 day cruise on the Noordam... I said very politely - please, use the word average or fair dont tell me a good deal.

Karen

noanker1,

First hi Fellow Bergenites...

This has and is a problem which occured before and now recently as well.:mad:

IMHO, Consumers do need protections in place...

The ole Sorry Out of Luck goes with us.. (SOL).. nicer words always show larger vocabulary usages..

hammybee

She is correct and precise. A woman of fine quality and character.

To answer your question, all cruise lines can change the price of a cruise up to the point of departure. As a general rule they do not, unless there is an error with pricing or unforeseen costs.

Email today from HAL in WaWa.

::

I am sorry you had difficulty reaching me but I see you have made a reservation through one of our travel agency partners

For any further confirmation on your reservation please contact your travel agency, or, call our regular reservation line at 1-877-724-5425. The reservation line can also assist you with any information you may wish for your future cruises with Holland America Line.

1-800-355-3017

Holland America Line

Consumer Programs

300 Elliott Ave. W.

Seattle, WA 98199-

NOTE: They in WaWA (Washington State, Seattle) are only there 5 days a week even in high season>>? *YIKES* thats why MSFT does the things they do...

The best thing you probably are able to do is contact NBC on Rt 9W just a few miles south of youall. They have brought out Deal or NO DEAL again ...

A thousand US$ of YOURS is not a small sum even invested at my MMK rate of 5.23% now.. when its your money it is/should be most important..

That way the Networks get this now known HUMAN INTEREST STORY/Cruise Problem and these errors will be shown more to the viewing public. CCL :NYSE HAL's Parent firm did flucuate today and ended down

One thing to do as well check the OnLine agencies... Do not book until HAL's offices have all yiur questiopns answered.. the reason they are not allowed((???))) to talk with you after you book with an agency/travel agent....

Some of the advertised ones on the CC here are very good to use in comparison for your cost/price basis...

I just booked on the Noordam with one again and they did the price match and HAL package match ..the larger T/Agencies are given more valuable packages as should be the case ..they do quantity.... and that speaks volumes...

Good luck, God Speed and following seas to youall.:cool:

HAL is a great line and the product is miles ahead in many ways in front of even there parent which I have been on many vessels..

But, RCL:NYSE Closed 37 1/4, + .25 DAY ,is in IT. as well a shareholders benefit. RCL pays Double the amount of CCL:NYSE 42.82 +.06 DAY ..

$200 vs $100 per cabin on only a 100 share lot. Thats a nice benefit...:cool:

This price was an obvious error, and the travel agent should have followed up on it. There's never been a 10-day cruise I've ever seen for less than $1,000 PP for a verandah cabin.

When have you seen a Verandah for $100/day PP????? An Inside cabin, maybe but a HAL verandah for anything less than $200/day PP would be an incredible steal...

Your post just reminded me how many 'regulars' on this board are so quick to label anyone with a low post count a 'troll' - often no matter how long they have actually been registered with CC.

Sarah,

It's my nature to seek similar and dissimialr characteristics and in this case I noticed that those who were claiming HAL did them wrong shared a common charateristic, a lack of history with any CC board. I also think that two of the posters might even be the same person, another story for another time.

My intent was, as it remains, to share an observation for what it's worth.

BTW, I appreciate your communication style and will learn from it. Thank you for the feedback.

Twinkletoes - Please don't misinterpret one posting on a message board & cancel your vacation.

The first week of Sept HAL had some major pricing problems that appear to affect only those who booked that week. Ridiculously low prices appeared on the website & to TAs, so folks snapped them up, only to be told later, sorry, HAL goofed & those prices aren't being honored. Haven't seen anyone post (so far) about having an already-booked trip & their price jumping up.

As kakalina & hammybee suggested, please take a look at those other threads. :)

From what I read, many of the posters are jumping to suspected conclusions, "damming" either other posters, HAL or the TA. IMHO, WE DO NOT have enough factual information for conclusions at this time. We have only the OP's statements. While I believe that this is sufficient to offer empathy for the OP, I DO NOT feel the information sufficient to condem any of the parties involved (OP, TA, HAL).

Agree wholeheartedly.

This price was an obvious error, and the travel agent should have followed up on it. There's never been a 10-day cruise I've ever seen for less than $1,000 PP for a verandah cabin.

This must now be a first for you. CONGRATULATIONS !

Sorry I have to disagree.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have a Veranda booked on A RCL SHIP and that Veranda is costing me less than 20.00$USD a day.

I just booked and PAID in FULL Sunday for another MS Noordam IV cruise leaving from NYC again on the Hudson River. All our cabins are Verandas. Each person cost is under $800.00 for an Eleven Night Cruise jhannah.

I spoke with HAL and the booking Agency today again and they have it all ok'ed...

I was writing while many were posting. Turia, I think AlohaPride had a completely different problem with an individual TA and she is just offering a sampling sent to the management of the TA Agency. Atleast thats my interpretation.

karen

That's correct :D

Just to check that I went out to an internet travel site right now and the 2/4/07 sailing of the Westerdam ( a 7 day cruise) with a balcony is listed for $899. The final price will, of course, be more with taxes and port charges but still those are not bad prices (unless of course, they are pricing mistakes too).

I don't think in this situation anyone is labeling anyone a troll, but I agree about the time out. There are too many threads, too many opinions, no one knows what the outcome will be: taking this to the media, etc will do very little good and the few who won't sail HAL again won't make much of a dent to them. They have been around too long and have too good of a reputation. Don't get me wrong, I am not siding with them cause I don't know what is right or wrong. I see both sides of this; that being said hammiebee is right: let's go on with other things. All we are doing in re-hashing the same thing over and over. NMnita

Thank you . The noise, our noise, my noise may have made what appears to be a complicated situation worse. Imagine being new to HAL and coming to this board and seeing the fur flying as it is.

Huh? Not so fast. If a cabin is booked and a deposit in place, a cruise line most definitely will not (at their sole discretion) bump up the cost of the booked cabin nilly willy until sailing day. I've never heard of such a thing.

I got in such a panic, that I called HAL. They can make changes in the prices, but this rarely happens. It does apply to the "computer glitch" but they said that they don't just "up the prices" to cover additional costs once you've booked and paid for the cruise.

So, since my booking has nothing to do with this "computer glitch" my cost for the cruise is what I was quoted. If the cost of fuel, liquor or beef rises (or whatever), they won't be hitting me up for additional money to cover these increases the day I board.

So your comparison to a hotel quoting one price, and then getting to the hotel and finding out it's another...is accurate. HAL (and all the cruiselines) are covered in the event there's a problem with the pricing. It covers their stern in case something like this has happened...the prices were posted incorrectly.

I was just concerned that they could hit me up for more money should there be other factors other than a misquoted or misprint on the price for a cruise. I believe the person I talked with also mentioned the Alaska fees...something that is new. They have the right to have the passengers pay for this. But they aren't just going to hit you up for misc. increases be it food or whatever.

So are you saying that after I have made my deposit and/or final payment, HAL can hit me up for more money when we are boarding? If this is true, I think I am cancelling my cruise tomorrow. We were quoted a price, made the initial deposit and have the final balance due date with amount.

If they really can change this and charge me more...I will not cruise and I will cancel my upcoming cruise.

As others have mentioned, this has spawned several threads over the last few days. Apparently, there was an error of some sort that resulted in extremely low fares being quoted. I'm not sure of the extent of the problem.

To answer your question: Yes, if you read the fine print of the cruise contract, you will see that the line reserves the right to raise fares up to and including the day of embarkation. All cruise lines have this language in their contracts. So, if this bothers you, I doubt if you will find a cruise line anywhere that doesn't reserve this right in their contract. In the event that they should raise the fare, you have the right to walk away, with a full refund, regardless of the normal penalty period.

This is the first time that I have heard of HAL, or any other cruise line doing this. This latest episode seems to be, not so much a fare increase, as correcting fares that were erroneously misquoted. Apparently, the magnitude of the error was so great, that HAL was unwilling to absorb the cost.

Please note, that the contract language allowing you to get a refund only applies to the cabin fare itself. It does not include things that are not under the line's control, such as taxes, port charges or airfare.

This episode is an anomoly. While HAL (and every other cruise line) includes such language in their contract, HAL, at least, does not have a history of raising prices after booking. In fact, last year, I was concerned about the rising price of petroleum causing a fare increase or fuel surcharge. I emailed HAL and received a reply that it was their policy to honor fares in effect when the passenger's deposit was placed. They didn't raise my fare, and, as far as I know, they haven't hit anyone with a fuel surcharge, as a few other lines have done.

I realize that the distinction between a fare increase and an error correction is little consolation, if you are the one who has to fork over another thousand or so. I think that the way to look at it is to decide if the cruise is worth it at the corrected price. If you can honestly say that you would have booked the cruise at the new price, had it been originally quoted, then go on the cruise anyway. Maybe you can talk them into a larg(er) onboard credit.

I think that the only way that HAL is going to relent is if the adverse publicity gets out of hand. If you see the story on CNN or MSNBC, maybe they'll give in. The number of people on this board is relatively small, so we're not going to have much influence by ourselves.

If you're not one those directly affected, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Unless you were given an incorrect quote, you will almost certainly not be asked to pay any more.

Archived