Raising Our Fare (four threads combined into one)

bankerbabe

Kevin:

Hop on over to the "raising our fare" thread as there are a few more over there. No one knows with certainty if the error originated at HAL, a block of cabins or with a common TA. The terms and conditions assosicated with any cruise on any cruise line gives the carrier the right to change the fare at any time, up to the point of departure. As a matter of practice, cruise lines do do this, so this must be some swell goof-up.

When we booked our cruse . I asked the TA about increases.

She said cruse price can go until the final payment is made , then

the cost is fixed. Until final payment is made any increases can be passed

on .The most common increases is a fuel surcharge and/or taxes.

:)

May I suggest that you suggest your TA familiarize themselves with the terms and conditions of all cruises they sell becasue they are spreading bad info.

I started a new thread before I found this one. We were also told that our cruise was going to increase by $1000 because of computer pricing problem. We paid in full and was given a reservation number and sent a confirmation. Not sure if this is the booking number?

Unless I missed it, none of these reservations were made directly between HAL and the passenger.

We don't know whose mistake it is, HAL, intermediary between HAL and TA or a common TA. It really does not matter.

Given the terms and conditions of all cruise lines, they have the ability to adjust fares at any time up to the point of departure. In this case, HAL is not increasing prices. Instead they are not recognizing those reservations made at an erroneous price.

Instead of wondering why it took 5 days for someone to notice this, I am surprised it did not take longer.

My analogy of your bank deposit of $1,000 showing up as $100,000 in your bank account does not give you the right to keep the money. The bank has the ability to " claw-back" what is rightfully their money. In this case, HAL has a right to not honor an erroneous price, regardless of who caused the mistake.

Hmmm.....guess I'm glad I booked directly with HAL this time.....2K got me bus fare R/T from New London to NYC pier, a VF GTY, the dining time I wanted and it's paid in full. They actually sent me back $640 from what we originally paid within 5 business days. I'm not knocking TAs, used them the past couple of cruises but after reading these strings, I'm glad I booked through HAL this time out.

Hmmm.....guess I'm glad I booked directly with HAL this time.....2K got me bus fare R/T from New London to NYC pier, a VF GTY, the dining time I wanted and it's paid in full. They actually sent me back $640 from what we originally paid within 5 business days. I'm not knocking TAs, used them the past couple of cruises but after reading these strings, I'm glad I booked through HAL this time out.

It may not have made any difference.I don't know when you are traveling but there seems to be several affected by a glitch in the system: who is to blame, no one really knows. I am glad you didn't knock TAs. I have cliants (happen to be my own DD and SIL) cruising in about a month. They booked throgh their favorite TA. The price on their cruise actually dropped over $400 per person: did the cruise line let them know? Nope, it was caught by the TA. Are they happy or what?

NMnita

Hi, Kevin, I know that it sounds nosy but can you give us more details?

Alot of us are interested in this event. I personally like to know what to expect when problems happen.

So you booked on line?

did you get a confirmation? when? what did it say? did it give the low price specifically and say you had placed a deposit?

Did you credit card get the deposit deducted?

How long did it take the TA to contact you about the problem?

what options are they giving you? can you cancel with no loss of deposit or fees?

thanks and I surely hope you found out quickly so that your loses were minimized. I know it's got to be disappointing. Here's hoping you get a great cruise anyway.

Unless I missed it, none of these reservations were made directly between HAL and the passenger.

We don't know whose mistake it is, HAL, intermediary between HAL and TA or a common TA. It really does not matter.

Given the terms and conditions of all cruise lines, they have the ability to adjust fares at any time up to the point of departure. In this case, HAL is not increasing prices. Instead they are not recognizing those reservations made at an erroneous price.

Instead of wondering why it took 5 days for someone to notice this, I am surprised it did not take longer.

My analogy of your bank deposit of $1,000 showing up as $100,000 in your bank account does not give you the right to keep the money. The bank has the ability to " claw-back" what is rightfully their money. In this case, HAL has a right to not honor an erroneous price, regardless of who caused the mistake.

Hammybee....Completely agree!

S1drfl...Agree to disagree..

Cheers Everyone..Betty

Sorry about starting the new post but didnt see the other one until after I had started this one.

i just find it hard to believe that they can change the price after you've already paid??/

To me it would be like going to car dealer and signing a purchase agreement and agree to payments, and a month later they tell you they never charged you enough, so you need to pay more or bring the car back??? A thing that a contract was breached because the accepted my money and sent me confirmation indicating this??

Happy cruiser---I'm happy to share my experience.

Found super deal on line web site that we have used at least 5 times before and been extremely happy with them.

They booked our cabin, sent us confirmation and told us if we went ahead and paid entire amount imediately that we would get $50 on board credit, and bottle of wine...so we paid balance the next day. We were told this was last "VD" catagory cabin available for 3 people...so they confirmed it with HAL. We thought we were set...had our reservation number from them and showed $0 balance due.

We were looking on line and found that another cabin for 3 or 4 people had come avilable so we called to see if we could switch cabins. Thats when TA told us that HAL was not honoring our booking unless we paid $1000 more because there was a glitch in their computer and we had been under charged...in fact now when we checked it shows a balance due of $1000 where it did show $0. The TA says they are fighting with HAL over the matter and have 200 reservations thru there agency that are in same position as me, and many other TA's in same postition.

They did not contact us...if we hadn't wanted to change cabins who knows how long it would have been??/

They said they were waiting to contact clients until they try to work out something with HAL.

PERSONALLY--- If they dont honor the price as is...I will seek legal action because I have emailed contract showing paid in full. I also will never sail HAL if they dont honor their agreement.

I'm sure I will get beat up for making that previous statement...but it's my principals to do so.

Kevin: This certainly is a mess and as I said, itis none to clear the source of the problem. Someone, somewhere made a mistake. All cruise lines have the ability to correct errors and change prices up to the point of departure. This was news to me too until I sat down and started reading the terms and conditions of various cruise lines.

It finally clicked with me when I realized that as a passenger, I often reap the benefit of a fare reduction, between initial deposit and final payment date, and there is nothing other than good will that compels HAL or any cruiseline to do so. So It made sense that in the event of a massive screw-up like this, they need the ability to correct the price.

Thus far, we have not heard of any problems associated with bookings made directly through HAL. This leads me to beleive that the problem may not even be HAL but rather a TA consolidator block of cabins, a conduit between HAL and TAs, if you will. This is speculation on my part. Stay tuned.

It may not have made any difference.I don't know when you are traveling but there seems to be several affected by a glitch in the system: who is to blame, no one really knows. I am glad you didn't knock TAs. I have cliants (happen to be my own DD and SIL) cruising in about a month. They booked throgh their favorite TA. The price on their cruise actually dropped over $400 per person: did the cruise line let them know? Nope, it was caught by the TA. Are they happy or what?

NMnita

Yep I kept on top of the prices myself along with the offered promos in order to get the price and promos I got. Now I have used TAs in the past who were not as client oriented as you who didnt tell me anything about price breaks, not all will. I figure I have to look after my own fares and if I don't, shame on me.

Kevin - it sounds like you are in the same boat as us. Tell me, was the online travel agency that you used out of Texas? We wouldn't know that there was a problem with our booking either, if we hadn't persisted to ask questions. We wouldn't have a booking or reservation number (I'm still confused as to what I have), either, unless we had called several times and insisted on getting it. I have a feeling that there are a number of people out there who don't know yet that they are going to owe a lot more money in order to go on the trip that they thought they booked.

Please please keep us all informed as to your progress - we are fighting this hard with the TA and perhaps we can share information so that we can both get a resolution to the issue.

Yep I kept on top of the prices myself along with the offered promos in order to get the price and promos I got. Now I have used TAs in the past who were not as client oriented as you who didnt tell me anything about price breaks, not all will. I figure I have to look after my own fares and if I don't, shame on me.

Navy_Chief,

Your so correct .AND never shame on you! You do your due dilligence sir.

I as well have to, as nobody really does that or for that fact much ever for you.

We usually do our ordering/bookings online and confirm on the landline too.

One gigantic problem is HAL has not even west coast banking hours for booking... Banks here are open Seven Days a Week for over 7 years now...

In the East, as you well know, we get things done promptly and in good order.

I also have to look for the best cost basis.

I just booked and paid in full for all 3 cabins with a Nov 2006 cruise again on the ms Noordam IV .

HAL's rep told the Advertised here firm that the fare and adon packages were not available the woman called again and the girl at HAL said the same thing... Then she called once more and got the True Story fares and the packages included...

Why did I want to book on Sunday past?

The reason was the again price drop.. what a wonderful cost basis.

I did fill out the Boarding Passes too online at HALS Site online so I know its all working now...

:cool:

We also booked on line last week on the Noordam, paid in full, and received a confirmation and booking number (which is showing up in HAL's computers). I thought we had bought and PAID FOR a cruise and was starting to read Cruise Critic to prepare for the cruise. My family was very excited.

I've heard nothing from the TA that there is a problem. We are relatively novice cruisers (this will be our second family cruise) but if we are told that there is a problem with this cruise and we owe more money, we will cancel and never cruise again with HAL or Carnival. That much I am sure of. And we'll have to think carefully before we ever book a cruise again if this is the way cruise companies act. There are plenty of other ways to spend our vacation dollars.

I cannot believe that legally HAL can do this as this cruise was properly booked and paid in full. I'm not a lawyer but it seems to me that there was an offer, an acceptance and consideration, along with a confirmation that I paid in full.

I'm curious Kevin how you know that you owe $1000 more. Where did you see that as I'd like to know if we are in a similar situation.

If there are hundreds of bookings in question, the HAL error must have been considerable (which blows my mind) and I can't believe they would do this to that many good crusing customers. It belittles their theme of customer service and quality.

When I left this thread yesterday, it appeared that things were starting to go in place with the exception of the OP who had an additional unknown as to when the TA actually booked the cruise.

It seems now that this has changed.

HAL - I know you read these posts - YOU NEED TO MAKE A CLEAR STATEMENT NOW... NOT LATER...OF WHAT HAPPENED, HOW YOU WILL HANDLE, AND WHAT THE OPTIONS ARE.

Because noone yet knows on this board where the system failed, its hard to determine what or who should do something about it. But...

This is indeed different than a typo in an advertisement. The store finds out immediately upon the first purchase because their cash register scanning system finds the error before the purchase is made. If the sale of that item goes through the stores own system and the purchase is complete - THEIR IS NO RECOURSE to go to the consumer and say you owe more.

And I also disagree with the bank analogy. If the bank clears a check for the wrong amount. You have a check written by you as proof of what you were attempting to pay. You have a bill or contract showing an amount and can prove that it was human inputing error only.

And as for the theory that there is a data entry clerk somewhere between HAL or a 3rd party software company sitting in the "bosses" office getting fired.. It does not work that way. This "glitch" went through a series of functions - one I am sure is beta testing. If it didn't, than that company is still at fault. You don't release new updates to rates on a computer program without testing them out. And if you do...then you deserve to pay the price for bad business practice. And yes, it could have been started by 1 malicious employee. But it should have been caught before release.

Karen

New to HAL, posting on the boards, and actually new to cruising compared to most on here, since my upcoming Nov. 2006 cruise will only be my 2nd cruise. :) In reading this thread, and the other threads relating to this topic, I'm just wondering if the time frame of sailings effected has been determined yet? I booked and paid for my Nov. cruise back in August - and I see from one poster that his/her Nov. cruise was effected, hence my concern. I haven't phoned my TA yet - if it isn't broke, don't fix it? or just fear of having them touch my reservation, lol. I believe I paid appropriately, but then again, pricing isn't something I know. Any idea of what cruises were effected yet?

This sounds like the mild west here....

Yes not the wild west as it was...

Looking at what we had paid in full yesterday (Sunday 09/17/2006 AD) today now the prices have gone up..not just at one agency site but all...

No calls, eMails, FAX's or courier deliveries either... so not knowing is still there..

I did finish filling out the OnLine Boarding Passes , this am ,which took...

The Online agency we used (advertised here on CC) again talked, agreed upon and confirmed with HAL yesterday (Sunday) the price as well added packages that were shown , seen and agreed upon after the agent called me back as explained before ...

So yes the adage still is such a truism... dont count the eggs till they are hatched.. well now.... and/or eaten...:rolleyes:

If many agency sites showed the so called erronious pricing well where did it originate as they all could not possibly have it wrong on there own ...:mad: :mad:

If you had been effected by this situation, you would know it. This is a most unusual circumstance in that it seems to have effected many people but for a small window of time during September.

Enjoy your countdown to your cruise. It isn't likely you have worries in this regard.

New to HAL, posting on the boards, and actually new to cruising compared to most on here, since my upcoming Nov. 2006 cruise will only be my 2nd cruise. :) In reading this thread, and the other threads relating to this topic, I'm just wondering if the time frame of sailings effected has been determined yet? I booked and paid for my Nov. cruise back in August - and I see from one poster that his/her Nov. cruise was effected, hence my concern. I haven't phoned my TA yet - if it isn't broke, don't fix it? or just fear of having them touch my reservation, lol. I believe I paid appropriately, but then again, pricing isn't something I know. Any idea of what cruises were effected yet?

Welcome aboard. :D

Due dilligence is a great quality.

Which ship and trip in November? There are roll calls here on this CC BB too for your benefit as well.:cool:

I have been following the boards and just wish to make a couple of observations.

I booked through Holland America directly. I was given a fabulous price which I immediately booked and deposited. That was the last I heard about it. 3 days later I called for a friend and found out the price went up. I checked on my reservation and the price had gone up $1000.00. I think that settles the question as to whether it was one agency or not.

I never heard anything from HAL. I called and spoke to a person who gave me one story. I continued to pursue, and continued to get different stories. The range of dates for the glitch is between 1 and 3 days, depending on who you talk to. The compensation they are offering ranges from a $50pp OBC to $100pp on board AND 1 category upgrade. No one has the same answer. My take is that HAL is handling this extremely poorly. If they are reading these boards they should see that THEIR customers are very upset and they are certainly doing more harm than good. When I think about the money that HAL spends on one mailing to entice customers, they could have easily spent that just to appease people who need no enticement, they are already customers. I for one will never sail this line again (and this is my first) unless something is done to make this right. Am I kicking someone when they are down? Not in the least. I have been in business for many years and I know what it is like to eat crow. They (HAL) had a bad situation. However it took them at least 72 hours to find out about it and that in itself speaks volumes. This is a large company that works weekends. I realized that the fare quoted to me was great. Why didn't the sales agent put her antennae up and say, wow, this looks too good to be true. Obviously the cruising public saw it and jumped on it. If no one at HAL saw it they either need new staff or they didn't care and thought that maybe they would keep it as a bait and sell tactic. Once people bit, and then made air transportation, it would be too costly to cancel the air and so they are biting the bullet and taking the cruise. There seems to be enough of us, just on this board, to get together and make enough noise that CEO Kruse will have no choice but to listen and act. He obviously has not put a whole lot of thought into his actions. They have notified nobody. The only ones that know are those who have called, or their TA's have, or those who read these boards. This is a bad situation, getting worse everyday. We may be only a little drip but together we make an ocean. Let's get together and make something happen

Archived