Raising Our Fare (four threads combined into one)

bankerbabe

While we're reading a lot of heat in this thread, I'm still seeing very little light. Would one of the affected people (or all of you, heck, the more the merrier) please layout a simple chronology of what happened?

Ship and sailing date. Cabin booked and price booked at. Date of reservation. Date on confirmation invoice. Date they found out about the discrepancy. Corrected price.

Let us all see exactly what the situation is.

I noticed the prices 5 days before the increase I was looking at a cruise with NCL or Hal I noticed a good deal with Hal but it seemed reasonable as I've just started cruising in the last 3 months I would not be aware that it would be a mistake it just seemed to me that maybe it was a bit slower and they were trying to drum up some business I reserved my cruise on the Monday gave my cc # and the trip was booked but they raised the price as my booking went through my TA spoke to Hal and they agreed to it at that price and sent email confirmation so for now I'm still at the same price don't know for tomorrow. The prices were 749 inside cabin it's now gone up to 1049. The sailings were from Jan - April out of NY on the Noordam.

From what I know it's not just 1 TA the prices were also available through Hal.

Thanks to you and some others on our role call for 12/6, I too got the benefit of a price reduction and transportation free. My travel agent handled everything but it was your advice about the drop in price that sent me following up with her. Glad someone is on the ball.

1/17/07 Noordam VF - room assigned. Booked late July or early august - solo. Mid august - added passenger #2. It was repriced then - just slightly more due to the extra port/tax charges. Same room. Called my TA in the "price reduction window" - said no change...but a VD would give me a $50.00pp break - but no good locations available, kept the VF. Called ta today to verify HAL was still showing the correct balance due. All is OK so far.

I doubt I will be affected by this. I consider it a fair price - not great and have done similiar cruises in the same price range. But I will check back with the TA next week to make sure it sticks. Luckily no air fare involved so I am not committed in any way if the deal changes.

Karen

Dear Mr. Kruse:

I am writing to inform you and Holland America of my complete dissatisfaction and disappointment with which the booking I made for my wife’s parents is being managed by Holland America Line, Inc.

My initial inquiry to Cruise Value Center, herein CVC, occurred on 9/11/2006; after researching itineraries and rates over the previous 4 days. Based on my research, rates were similar across several online sites for the sailing in question. I selected CVC because their agent, Ruby Levesque (Ruby), appeared knowledgeable and sincere. After confirming the cabin category, number, and all-in rate, Ruby offered to place a “hold” on the cabin. Cabin VB 6091. The next day I called Ruby back and reconfirmed the details. I provided my Visa account number to Ruby. About 1 hour later, Ruby called me and advised I needed to complete a third party authorization form. Ruby faxed me the form and I promptly returned it to her. My bank confirms a charge of $1200.00 from Holland America on 9/12/2006. Ruby advised a balance due of $791.44.

Today, one week later, I received a phone call from my agent informing me that Holland America is not going to honor the booking due to a “pricing error”. I have learned the new rate has increased by approximately $1,145.18.

I expect Holland America to stand behind the booking; upholding its reputation for service excellence. I, as the customer should not endure a financial loss due to matters beyond my control and having acted in good faith. I hereby request notification of Holland America’s Errors and Omissions insurance coverage, as I desire to pursue a claim should the received rate be dishonored. Moreover, I will seek the attention of both local and national media to this matter and post to major cruise critic sites; should this matter persist unsatisfactorily.

Thank you in advance for your prompt attention to this matter. Should any questions arise, please contact me directly.

Thanks to you and some others on our role call for 12/6, I too got the benefit of a price reduction and transportation free. My travel agent handled everything but it was your advice about the drop in price that sent me following up with her. Glad someone is on the ball.

If I were you Moonhead I would check to see if that rate is still being honored as a lot of people have not been informed of the computer glitch.

We booked two cabins last Tuesday on the Noordam 2/17 sailing through an internet travel agency. We paid the $3800 in full that same day on our credit card and have a confirmation that says we paid in full. We have a reservation number and are currently in HAL's system. While we thought the $3800 was a good price, it was for an inside room and a outside room across the hall on the main (or lowest) deck. The inside room is a triple.

So it's not such an outstanding price, at least to my knowledge, that led me or the TA (which is a large firm) to question the price. It appears from discussions on this board that a large number of people and different TAs are involved. Apparently, according to the note I received today from my TA, the sailing effected were 10 and 11 day sailing out of NYC in February and March.

I first heard there might be problems by reading the board over the week-end. I received an email today (a form email no less) telling me of the problem. I subsequently got a phone call at home telling me I owe 1800 more dollars for the sailing. They are apparently offering a $400 on board credit as compensation (what a laugh). To add insult to injury, the internet TA did not leave a phone number either in the message or the email to get in touch with someone who could discuss this situation. They clearly do not want to deal with it. What, after all, is a few angry customers compared to losing HAL's business.

The situation is beyond belief. The only answer I can find is negative publicity on the TV and Newspapers against HAL AND Carnival. Neither clearly stand behind their agreements.

We booked two cabins last Tuesday on the Noordam 2/17 sailing through an internet travel agency. We paid the $3800 in full that same day on our credit card and have a confirmation that says we paid in full. We have a reservation number and are currently in HAL's system. While we thought the $3800 was a good price, it was for an inside room and a outside room across the hall on the main (or lowest) deck. The inside room is a triple.

So it's not such an outstanding price, at least to my knowledge, that led me or the TA (which is a large firm) to question the price. It appears from discussions on this board that a large number of people and different TAs are involved. Apparently, according to the note I received today from my TA, the sailing effected were 10 and 11 day sailing out of NYC in February and March.

I first heard there might be problems by reading the board over the week-end. I received an email today (a form email no less) telling me of the problem. I subsequently got a phone call at home telling me I owe 1800 more dollars for the sailing. They are apparently offering a $400 on board credit as compensation (what a laugh). To add insult to injury, the internet TA did not leave a phone number either in the message or the email to get in touch with someone who could discuss this situation. They clearly do not want to deal with it. What, after all, is a few angry customers compared to losing HAL's business.

The situation is beyond belief. The only answer I can find is negative publicity on the TV and Newspapers against HAL AND Carnival. Neither clearly stand behind their agreements.

Mr. Stein Kruse, President/CEO

Holland America Line, Inc.

300 Elliott Avenue West

Seattle, WA 98119

I am sure that you are aware by now of the computer pricing problem that Holland America experienced on and around September 10, 11, and 12. We are two of the hundreds of individuals that are affected by this computer pricing “glitch”. We are repeat customers of the Carnival Corporation lines, with cruises on Holland America’s sister lines Princess and Carnival. We have already purchased non-refundable airfare to the point of embarkation; to change our airfare at this point would incur a minimum cost of $300 each.

Since we are on the younger end of the Holland America demographic, we have many more years of regular cruising left. We would like to walk away from this situation with a positive outlook on Carnival Corporation and specifically on Holland America. We would like to spend the next 30 or 40 years cruising on the Carnival group of cruise lines, but we will take our money elsewhere and recommend others do the same if this situation is not handled appropriately.

I am sure that you are aware of the damage that this situation will do to your image. Perhaps your company should review the CruiseCritic.com message boards and witness for yourselves the amount of anger aimed in your company’s direction. I am sure there will be more once the full situation is made public. And be aware that this situation will be made very public.

I do not dispute that you are in a difficult situation that may well have been beyond your control. You can, however, control how you handle this situation going forward.

We realize that the price we purchased our cruise for was a relative bargain. It is not, however, that far out of line with market pricing and the price cannot represent a loss for your company, particularly when you factor in onboard spending. I have heard that you are unwilling to honor the price that we agreed to at the onset of this transaction and that you are offering onboard credits. Onboard credits will not garner any goodwill with us, although I can certainly understand why they would be attractive to you.

We are willing to accept a reasonable compromise, as I’m sure most passengers would. You can use this situation to gain lifelong passengers and rave reviews or you can use this situation to gain some very bad publicity.

cc:

Micky Arison, Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer, Carnival Corporation

Anita Dunham-Potter, Cruise Columnist (MSNBC/Tripso)

Cheryl Cunningham, Manager, Vacations to Go

(Some details omitted from this posting, to protect the identity of those involved :) )

Timbo #89

Sorry, I had missed that - or skipped that should I say. I have too much trouble reading long, long posts with no paragraphs and no spaces through-out. Sorry.

I was responding, however, to the posters, such as the OP, that said HAL was not "honoring agents posted price".

Mr. Stein Kruse, President/CEO

Holland America Line, Inc.

300 Elliott Avenue West

Seattle, WA 98119

[/font]

Please ... please let us know what, if anything, you hear from him.

I've heard good things about Mr. Kruse, and I'm hoping he responds and offers you some sort of compromise resolution.

Maybe I'm living in a dream world, but I really believe HAL does business in an above-board way, and I have a feeling that there are a lot of high-level meetings going on as we post about how to resolve the absolute fiasco created by this pricing glitch in their reservations/booking system.

I have a feeling you might hear back from him (or one of his underlings) and might even be happy with the resolution offered to you.

Please keep us advised, if you'd be so kind.

Blue skies ...

--rita

$3800 for three people in an inside and 2 in an outside? $3800 for 5 people for an 11-day cruise? $760 per person for an 11-day cruise on a Holland-America ship???? Less than $70/day????

In the past 10 years, the best price I've ever seen on a HAL cruise was $90/day for the lowest category inside on a 7-day out of FLL and that was at the end of 2001 when other lines were trying to give away passage.

Now if you're new to HAL I could, possibly, believe that you thought this was simply a "good price" but you indicate "So it's not such an outstanding price, at least to my knowledge, that led me or the TA (which is a large firm) to question the price." Has this TA never booked a HAL cruise before?

The additional $1800 brings your total to $5600, or $1120 per person, about right for a deeply discounted fare on that ship for that cruise.

Yes, there was a computer problem, but your TA should have realized there was something wrong with the price. Still, the credits HAL is offering would more than pay any change fee you'd need to make to an airline to switch flights.

I'm sorry you've been put through this, but I really think you need to question your TA closely.

$3800 for three people in an inside and 2 in an outside? $3800 for 5 people for an 11-day cruise? $760 per person for an 11-day cruise on a Holland-America ship???? Less than $70/day????

I'm with you. I put the blame entirely on the TA. To be honest, I don't blame the OP for thinking the fare was discounted, but reasonable. I wouldn't have thought that fare out of line either, especially if the cruise was taking place at an "off season" time, or such a period when it may be difficult to fill a ship. After all, I've often received great offers for reasonably last minute sailings ... when perhaps the cruise line has a bunch of empty cabins they need to fill and are trying to entice people to book with some really attractive prices.

If the advertised fare was really unreasonably low, then it is the TA who should have realized that and warned her clients that she needed to make some phone calls first to verify it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I will absolutely keep everyone informed as to the final result of this fiasco - be it positive or negative.

Thank you Kyros.

In the meantime, my liquor cabinet is getting bare :)

Well, better do something about that liquor cabinet ... and quick. :)

Thank you, Bankerbabe ... and good luck with getting this satisfactorily resolved as well.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have been reading these posts today and trying to figure out what may have happened. I do agree that rates are sometimes incorrect on websites. I'm not sure where the blame here lies, and don't even want to guess...I do have a few thoughts though....I have been on the boards for awhile, and read almost constantly how many cruise critic members are very savvy and check every website or online TA that they can find to compare rates. I'm not saying the posters here have done this, but I can imagine that some of the people who booked knew darn well that the price had to be incorrect, so went ahead and paid in full to lock the price in. I've seen this happen many times, working with an online company.

Hopefully HAL will make an announcement that will be to everyone's satisfaction soon, but if they don't I hope some people will understand that it is a business decision. I am not a cheerleader for the cruiselines, but the old saying goes...if it looks to good to be true......

While I appreciate your input and your honestly, lvtotrvl1, I doubt you would be so blasé if the situation applied to you.

By the way, I did not shop around, went to the TA that I've booked with before and booked what I thought was a good deal, but not unreasonable. This agency generally does have lower rates than other online agencies, so I didn't question it.

As for a business decision, I think that generating a lot of ill will amongst customers would be a bad business decision.

But thank you for your input . . . even though I disagree, I appreciate your thoughts.

I am a full time working mother with three children. I don't have time to shop around. I started looking at cruise prices in early September for a February sailing. I use that large internet TA as they have a website that is easy to use. I looked at the website early Monday morning, noticed the HAL price and made one phone call. I talked to my husband that night and booked the cruise the following morning. I paid in full, almost by accident, simply to get the cruise done. Since this would have been only our second family cruise, the rates seemed good but not unreasonably good. I didn't get the sense from talking to the internet TA that the rate was unreasonably good either.

So no I didn't shop around and try to find the best deal and no I didn't book in full to lock in the price. Merely because I wanted the cruise done as I'm a busy person. I still had to consider passports for the kids, transportation, and all those excursions not to mention all those other details associated with vacations. I thought I booked and paid for a cruise. I didn't even know it was cancellable until long after I gave up the credit card and it was processed.

Perhaps others booked knowing the price was too good to be true but I didn't and my TA didn't give me any indication that was so either.

There are at least three threads related to an alleged problem with prices on some cruises. There are many posters who are concerned about their cruises.

For perspective, refer to post #140 under the "raising our fares" thread.

Let's stop the insanity.

And now there are at least 4 that discuss the issue of fare rates, and those with opinions about them.

You know, these are public forums, and the rules that Cruise Critic has seen fit to put on them apparently allow anyone, regardless of number of previous posts, experience level with cruising, or thoughfulness of ideas to create threads and to post their thoughts on any thread they choose. Hammybee, you took advantage of those rules to post your opinion not only on the other thread (post #140), but you started a new thread to publicize that post!

Personally, I have found some threads interesting, some foolish, and some totally without merit. I read the ones I like or that catch my eye, and I ignore those that don't. But I would not admonish others to not excerise the same rights that I enjoy. You posted your opinion, so let others do the same, and maybe refrain from deciding for others what is important and what is "noise."

Of course, this is just my humble opinion. Take it as you will.

Keep Smiling!!!:D

I have been reading these posts today and trying to figure out what may have happened. I do agree that rates are sometimes incorrect on websites. I'm not sure where the blame here lies, and don't even want to guess...I do have a few thoughts though....I have been on the boards for awhile, and read almost constantly how many cruise critic members are very savvy and check every website or online TA that they can find to compare rates. I'm not saying the posters here have done this, but I can imagine that some of the people who booked knew darn well that the price had to be incorrect, so went ahead and paid in full to lock the price in. I've seen this happen many times, working with an online company.

Hopefully HAL will make an announcement that will be to everyone's satisfaction soon, but if they don't I hope some people will understand that it is a business decision. I am not a cheerleader for the cruiselines, but the old saying goes...if it looks to good to be true......

I shop with one TA on line and if you check where I bought my tickets and check the prices of the dates Oct -mid December they're lower then what I paid on the ones that were a computer glitch so it's not that hard for someone to think it's the right price.

I guess contracts can always be broken and they can just let a bunch of potential future clients go it is the way of our society have you seen the divorce rate lately

Just my casual observation but I wonder if threats of FTC, travel media, all the years of my business HAL will lose etc are the best approach.

Putting myself on the receiving end of letters with threats of that sort make me feel defensive right from the get go.

Just a suggestion but does anyone think a different approach might be more effective?

Archived