Get Your Passport NOW

MBeamTX

I think the rants and complaints about the new passport requirements are ridiculous. It' s not unreasonable for the U.S. to implement more stringent identity requirements for people leaving and re-entering the country.

That being said, however, I'm very concerned about the new passports with RFID chips, as a result of an article I read in today's Washington Post:

The ID Chip You Don't Want in Your Passport

By Bruce Schneier

Saturday, September 16, 2006; Page A21

If you have a passport, now is the time to renew it -- even if it's not set to expire anytime soon. If you don't have a passport and think you might need one, now is the time to get it. In many countries, including the United States, passports will soon be equipped with RFID chips. And you don't want one of these chips in your passport.

I'm not printing the entire article here because of copyright issues, but you can find it at:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/15/AR2006091500923.html?nav=hcmodule

I urge you to read it. My passport expires next year and I'm thinking of renewing it now because of this issue.

Happy cruising,

Susan

The article seems a bit paranoid. If you cannot trust your State department to safeguard your information, then perhaps you should not travel.

I'm sure many veterans thought their info was safeguarded too, until the VA's careless handling of notebook computers that contained their data. "Trust me, I'm with the government."

MBeam,

I live in Colorado and have been getting our passports taken care of one at a time as our trip dates are quite a bit out. My hubby did file for his last month, but when it came last week it did have the chip. :( Oh my... My kids still need to have their passports, so I guess they will end up with the chips also.

Thanks for posting the article, just wish I would have seen it a few months ago. :(

I don't believe I'm paranoid at all, just cautious. I bank and shop online, but I watch my accounts carefully. And I've caught fraudulent transactions and been able to cancel a credit card before too much damange was done.

The first implemention of most technologies is less than perfect, especially by the federal government. The passport RFID is not likely to be an exception. The real problem is that you'll have the passport for 10 years! Do you honestly think it will remain secure for that timeframe?

RFID technology is great stuff. I work for an organization that helps manufacturers implement it, among other technologies. But I'm not keen to walk around with my personal info on a readable chip.

I work in a field that uses RFID. Part of our standard practices is to put a "blocking" sheet in front of the chip at times when you don't want the chip picked up. I'm sure you'll be able to pick up a passport case that shields the RFID from being read until needed. I wouldn't consider it paranoia to purchase something to shield a chipped passport either... RFID technology can be read quite easily from a distance with the right equipment.

I work in a field that uses RFID. Part of our standard practices is to put a "blocking" sheet in front of the chip at times when you don't want the chip picked up. I'm sure you'll be able to pick up a passport case that shields the RFID from being read until needed. I wouldn't consider it paranoia to purchase something to shield a chipped passport either... RFID technology can be read quite easily from a distance with the right equipment.

Thanks, I'll be looking for that sort of passport case if I end up with an RFID-equipped document. It just seems prudent to me.

My husband and I just got our new passports and cruised last week. When checking in, they scanned the back page of our passports through this little machine, and they look at their computer. The lady at the counter said it was the first day with this new scanner. (port of miami) .

I wonder if that is the RFID you are talking about?

Archived