Ballroom dancing on HAL?

PJNJcruise5

Just wondering if Ballroom dancing is offered on HAL? I have heard that it was and would consider trying HAL in the future. My husband and I have recently started Ballroom dancing and are looking for cruise that offer good music to dance. We're not looking for a theme cruise, just good music to dance the waltz, fox trot, etc. It has been our experience on a previous cruise that only limited Latin Music, rock or Hip- Hop was the music offered in the clubs. We're looking for something a little more traditional.

The dancing in the Ocean bar is traditional. On one of our cruises it was taken over by the Fred Astair dance group. The band will usually play nothing but waltzes, foxtrots, cha-cha's with a few jitterbugs thrown in. I always enjoy both the music and the dance. As DH is handicapped I find the dance hosts to be most attentive and willing to dance. Now the Crows Nest is a whole different ball game and usually covers those that want rock music, etc.

Some very basic lessons may be offered on some cruises. It is not the ideal way to learn to dance. If you choose to learn to dance, the private studios in your area will be delighted to accommodate your schedule.

I too have been on cruises with ballroom dancing groups. While many did not like that they took over, it was delightful to watch them.

Do you know if they would offer lessons? My husband and I have always wanted to learn but my work schedule is makes it difficult to take regular lessons. (I work 7 days on and 7 days off - Wednesday to Wednesday. )

Hammybee is right - contact your local studios. Around here, group lessons meet weekly and usually last an hour. Private lessons, for roughly the same cost, last a half hour and can be timed to accommodate your schedule. With private lessons, you can also pick and choose which dances you learn and how far to continue with each. My partner and I are doing this and are having a great time.

Who are the "Dance Hosts" on the cruises? Are they on the ship for the six-month contract period or does HAL perhaps have "guest" dance hosts who maybe cruise for a big discount but only for a brief time? I know someone who is very "into" ballroom dancing [male] - just wondering....

Actually, the hosts have been on cruises greater than 10 days; I've never seen them on cruises that last only 10 days.

HAL brings them aboard for a cruise---perhaps two, if they are short (10-15 day) cruises. They don't have a contract like the staff do.

The 2-4 of them on the cruise usually get their little group of favorites, then keep switching partners. You're either in the group or you're not. I don't consider that a problem because they frequently won't be mistaken for good dancers, either. :rolleyes:

Hammybee is right - contact your local studios. Around here, group lessons meet weekly and usually last an hour. Private lessons, for roughly the same cost, last a half hour and can be timed to accommodate your schedule. With private lessons, you can also pick and choose which dances you learn and how far to continue with each. My partner and I are doing this and are having a great time.

Beware of local dance studios that pressure you into a long term, expensive contract. I have an acquaintance that is probably still paying a dance studio contract. She was being charged for dance competitions, dance shoes, and who knows what else.

There are no dance studios close by...the closest is about 45 minutes away....and offer classes every week but I cannot go every week. I don't want to pay the full price for taking half the classes and they do not negotiate.

So we will just have to wing it.

I understand your issue as I live in the boonies too (work in a city, so I could do something after work, but hubby works in the boonies and won't drive in just for dance lessons:rolleyes: ) I know our (very small yet nonetheless excellent) public library has ballroom dancing lesson dvds--do you think yours might have some? That way you could have some "instruction" at home before your trip--would at least give you some familiarization with the dances & steps, etc. Good luck! I'm really hoping for dance lessons on our cruise, because husband once told me the only way I'd get him to ballroom dance would be if I got him drunk on a cruise.....

well, It may have been special but on the Zuiderdam last year there were dance hosts. I think 3. It was a seven day cruise.

DH was taking a little long to dress for dinner so I got a book and went to the redezvous lounge. A host approached me and asked me to dance. I kinda stumbled through a NO but that somehow became yes because he had my hand and was headed to the floor. We started a foxtrot after one turn or so he discovered I could dance. So next we did a waltz. We talked a little while dancing and I really got the impression that he loved to dance and to travel. I was terrified; I had not danced with anyone but DH in about 10 years. I highly recommend dancing with the hosts if you need a partner. I'll stick with DH we tend to zig, zag, and stumble at the same places.:p

Here's great thread about ballroom dancing. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=7912522#post7912522

Enjoy!

well, It may have been special but on the Zuiderdam last year there were dance hosts. I think 3. It was a seven day cruise.

QUOTE]

What time of year was it and to where? We are going in February to the Carribbean on Westerdam. It would be so nice for my mother if she could find a dance host. She started ballroom lessons about a year or so ago and she is so obsessed with it. She even goes to competitions now!

I929, So glad your mom likes dancing. We were on the Zuiderdam last Sept. for a cheapo seven night cruise and it was wonderful.

I suggest you call HAL and ask how to find out which ships have hosts sailing on them. The literature mentions 14 day cruises now. But I know that the printed brochures used to have a symbol of a dancing couple next to the cruises that hosts sailing on them. I am downloading an e brochure for 2006 and checking it for the symbol. But if I were you I would definitley ask HAL because they did have the hosts on the 7 day cruise I was on. And if your mom loves dancing that much it would really be nice to get on a ship with hosts. That far out you might be able to move a week or two to get on the right cruise for her enjoyment. If I find out more, I will be sure to post it.

Try the Noordam June 3rd to Alaska ! My son and daughter are on a ballroom dance team and their team is going on this cruise, and we are tagging along :D

My son and daughter have been ballroom dancing for about 8 years now and this will be my son's third cruise with the team. They perform on board and get a big kick out of dancing with lots of other cruisers in the evenings.

They are a great clean cut, non-drinking, well mannered, thoughtful bunch who love to dance and have fun and enjoy teaching people. They have tried to teach us and we enjoy it but aren't very good. If you like to ballroom dance but need a little help or have a partner who isn't into dance this would be a great cruise for you ( not to mention all the other great things about the boat, the crew and the food I hear about non stop from my son when he gets back).

We're sure looking forward to it !

fun*n*sun- That sounds great, but my mother wont go without us which includes my two children who would be almost 4 and 2 on that sailing, way too young for Alaska.

happy cruzer- If you see anything on the Westerdam 2/18 please let me know! We cant change b/c we picked this week for presidents week so people on board will be expecting kids, and work is more quiet for me then. Also, we got a cabana for hmc and I'm not giving that up!!

From the OP. Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to see that ballroom dance is offered on HAL. I wish we could go on the Alaska cruise, sounds wonderful! I hope other cruiselines will consider offering more ballroom dance music. It is encouraging to see all the replies. My husband and I love to ballroom dance. We took lessons about a year ago mostly because we didn't know how to dance and just wanted to know what we were doing instead of being left out or embarrassed. Once you learn the basic steps it is easy. For all of those thinking about taking lessons I say go for it. You will have alot of fun!

Archived