What are the latest corkage fees?

What are the current corkage fees? If our TA sends wine to the room and we take it to the dining room I would like an idea of what the fee will be. I believe they have changed but don't know what they are now. What has been your experience with this as we have sometimes ( a while ago ) not even been charged. They never have on Celebrity if it was bought through the ship.

Big discussion about this on one of the 15 Oct Freedom cruise threads.

RCI seems to be enforcing the $12 corkage fee for any wine brought to the dining room from the cabin even if it was purchased from them thru gifts & gear. There supposedly is no charge if it is delivered directly to the dining room.

Due to numerous emails from the large CC group that is getting 7 bottles of wine per cabin to Adam Goldstein about this policy, they are "reviewing" the wording on the gifts and gear page on their website which says nothing about a corkage fee for wine purchased from them. Since RCI seems to be listening to the bean counters more than their Pax, my guess is that the change will be that a corkage fee will be charged no matter where the wine is delivered even if purchased thru them and gifts & gear.

Can't imagine them changing from a revenue producing rule to something that doesn't.

Big discussion about this on one of the 15 Oct Freedom cruise threads.

RCI seems to be enforcing the $12 corkage fee for any wine brought to the dining room from the cabin even if it was purchased from them thru gifts & gear. There supposedly is no charge if it is delivered directly to the dining room.

THAT IS SO WRONG!!:mad: (as in unfair-not calling you a liar,Paul:p

We were on the Enchantment 3 weeks ago, and a bottle of wine was delivered to our cabin from TA. We took it to the dining room to share with our tablemates, and our waiter just brought a corkscrew to the table. He didn't open the bottle, chill it, or refill our glasses -- we did everything ourselves. Believe me, I checked the seapass bill very carefully to be sure we weren't charged a corkage fee (which would have basically been a "corkscrew rental" fee!)...but we were not.

Whenever I send wine I have it sent to dinner the first formal night then there is no corkage fee.

This time I decided not to do wine, but sent something I think they will enjoy more since they can take it home with them and it was actually about the same cost and they will get it in their cabins.

Here's the response I got from Adam Goldstein's office:

Same bottle of wine, purchased from the same place the same way,just delivered to different places. No fee one place, $12 the other. Waiting patiently to see any "revised policy changes".

Response to my corkage question. I like the 2nd paragraph.:

Dear Mr.

Thank you for contacting Mr. Goldstein's office through the Internet regarding our Gifts & Gear wine policy. He appreciated hearing from you and requested that I respond to your concerns on his behalf.

We are currently in the process of reviewing the language on our Website, as it pertains the Gifts and Gear section on wine selections. The current information indicates two delivery options; to your stateroom or to the dining room. A corkage fee of $12.00 is applied to wine taken from the stateroom to the dining room for consumption. Any revised policy changes will be noted on our Website.

The Wine & Dine program is for dining room consumption only. In the event you do not finish a wine bottle at dinner, the bottle will be stored for your consumption at a later time.

Once again, Mr. , thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. As a Diamond Crown & Anchor Society member, we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back onboard one of our ships in the near future.

Sincerely,

As a passenger, I prefer gifts of food or wine to be delivered to my cabin--rather than to my table--because sometimes DH & I want to toast each other in the privacy of our balcony rather than sharing the gift with our tablemates. When a bottle of wine is delivered to my table, I feel obligated to share it. At least if it is delivered to my cabin, the choice is mine--whether to drink it there or take it to the DR and pay the corkage fee.

We recieved a bottle from TA on our Mariner Cruise 8-27-06 we took it to diner one night to share with table since we dont really care for wine and they did not charge us a corkage fee. ;) Not sure why we just took it to diner with us an gave it to our waiter told him to pour a glass for anyone at our table that wanted some. :rolleyes: Luck of the draw I guess. :D

As a passenger, I prefer gifts of food or wine to be delivered to my cabin--rather than to my table--because sometimes DH & I want to toast each other in the privacy of our balcony rather than sharing the gift with our tablemates. When a bottle of wine is delivered to my table, I feel obligated to share it. At least if it is delivered to my cabin, the choice is mine--whether to drink it there or take it to the DR and pay the corkage fee.

I book mostly groups and usually just my friends, since I have a full time job, and seldom have more than a table full on a cruise, if I were booking just a couple, then I would do a gift other than food or wine or send the wine/food to the cabin.

My upcoming passengers are 2 couples, this is why I opted for the gift to the cabin instead of the wine option.

Don't know if this will help but I used the Wine & Dine last week on the Jewel and the bottles are only available in the main dining room, Chops, Portofino, etc. but NOT from any bar. We did not finish the bottles every night and they were waiting for us the next night. They even had them sent to Chops the night we went there. However, we did not try to leave with a bottle. I imagine you could, but we specifically bought the program to have wine with our dinner. We like trying the funky/fancy drinks when we are at the bars.

Keep in mind that the selection of the wines on the wine and dine are pretty limited. We even went with the Diamond (the highest level) package and found that the selection was only ok. Most of the bottles were in the $25-$35 range (prices from the RCI wine list) so the package did save money and if I was picking off the full wine list I would have spent A LOT more. So it is nice if you want to enjoy wine yet stay within a budget. Next time I might buy a smaller package and leave room for a few "off the wine list" nights just to get a better variety.

-Amy

It is completely ridiculous if RCI has begun charging a corkage fee for bottles purchased on the ship!!! What are they thinking? I have bought a bottle at one of the bars and had them open it. I have also brought TA's gift wine to dinner with no corkage fee. This only encourages me to bring my own wine on board in my checked luggage, which I never used to do. What's next? RCI charging a corkage fee on the wine and dine packages? Guess I'll just pack my corkscrew along with my wine.

The cruise paperwork we received just before we left really laid down the law on 'sneaking' alchohol on board. It said if you were caught with liquor in your bags, they would confiscate it and, I guess depending on their mood, would possibly deny your passage on the ship. It always says 'do not bring' in the cruise docs - but this time is was an additional looseleaf as well. I am not sure if it's because of the recent 'lockdown' on liquid or if they are just being stingy but we decided not to risk it this time.

My upcoming February cruise is probably going to be my last with RCI. This last bit of sticking it to the passenger is just too much. I enjoy wine with my dinner--especially on vacation--and find their wine selection to be dismal and way overpriced. I can find many ways to have a vacation, even a cruise and not be shafted for part of it.

It is completely ridiculous if RCI has begun charging a corkage fee for bottles purchased on the ship!!! What are they thinking? I have bought a bottle at one of the bars and had them open it. I have also brought TA's gift wine to dinner with no corkage fee. This only encourages me to bring my own wine on board in my checked luggage, which I never used to do. What's next? RCI charging a corkage fee on the wine and dine packages? Guess I'll just pack my corkscrew along with my wine.

Agreed! On our last cruise we pre-ordered 2 bottles of wine for sailaway, and they only delivered one. When I called for the second, they said they would have it for the dining room, but of course that wouldn't have worked. But I know it came from their wine cellar - they didn't have time to run to Von's to pick up a bottle.:rolleyes: To charge corkage on top of that would be unconscionable. I know they did that to NMiles on Radiance, but I think my reaction would be to take the bottle, along with 2 glasses, back to the cabin, fill them to the brim (almost, don't want to spill) and bring them back to the table. I would send DH for the refills, of course! :D

I thought the wine and dine was available at any bar or even room service. Guess I will be rethinking that package I was going to buy. I wanted to be able to take the remainder back to the room, or get a bottle at lunch.

Candi

Definitely not room service.................we tried last month on the MA cuz we have company in our cabin............they would not let me get a bottle from my purchased wine and dine package,but you can be sure they let me BUY more from room service:mad: :mad:

Just to avoid confusion, the $12 fee is for wine purchased before the cruise from the gifts & gear on RCIs website. So far, it is only charged if the wine is delivered to the cabin and the PAX takes it to the dining room. The fee is not charged if the wine is delivered directly to the table.

Some folks have reported the fee was not charged when they brought it from their cabin. Seems to depend on the waiter/bar person.

It does, however seem to be corporate policy that the fee be charged.

Remains to be seen if Mr. Goldstein will take any action or if he has any influence either way.

Can someone tell me what the wine and dine package is. We will be on the Radiance Jan 28/07 and then the Navigator Feb 17/07 and would enjoy wine in the cabin as well as a glass with dinner...but if I can save on the corkage fee would be great. I can't see anywhere on the RCCL site where it says wine and dine..I only found the wine cellar. I was going to pre order my wine today but will wait till I know exactly what to do. Any information would be appreciated.

Brenda - What we are talking about is wine purchased from Royal Caribbean thru the Gifts & Gear program before boarding the ship. You can order wine from their website and have it delivered either to your cabin or your table in the dining room. If you get it in your cabin and take it to dinner, they charge you a $12 corkage fee. If you have the same bottle purchased the same way delivered to your table, there is no fee.

They do not say on the website there will be a fee if you have the wine sent to your cabin and then carry it yourself to the dining room.

Since RCI now has a strict policy of no alcohol of any kind, including wine, being brought on board by the passengers, the corkage fee doesn't make any sense other than generating more revenue.

Nobody had/has a problem with paying a corkage fee for wine they brought on board themselves if they took it to dinner. Since you can't do that anymore, it's ridiculous for them to charge the corkage on wine purchased from them.

The W&D package is only available on the first day you board and only until dinner begins. They say there are limited number of packages available (but I would imagine they have never turned someone away!) You basically are 'pre-purchasing' your wine to use in the dining room. You can buy 5, 7, 10 or 12 bottles of wine at Gold, Platinum or Diamond level. The Gold level only has a choice of about 10 wines, the Platimum has maybe 15 wines and the Diamond maybe 20.

Each night you get the list of wines from your package and you pick one (or 2 or 3) to have. If you don't finish it, they will bring it back the next night (and so on until you finish it). You can share the package or assign a wine to someone else. So if you and another couple decide to do a 10 wine package, you can split it 5 wines each or they do 4 and you do 6 or whatever you like. We actually sent a bottle from our package to some friends at another table. We just asked the waiter to let them pick from our list.

They have said they are going to eventually put it online for advance purchase, but that has not yet been done. For a pricing example, we bought 7 wines at the highest (Diamond) level and it was $189 + 15% gratuity. The Platinum was about $179 for the same package. Can't remember what the Gold was. The package we got avg out to $27 a bottle. We ended up getting 5 or 6 of our wines that were all $30-$35 off the list. So we did save money.

If you are picky/particular about your wines, I would not recommend this package. The wine selection if only ok compared to their full wine list. If you would like wine with dinner but are on a budget - this is a good way to stay within that budget and still enjoy some decent wine. The next time I am planning on buying a smaller package and going off the main wine list once or twice. That way I mostly stay within a budget, but have a couple of free days to pick a favorite or more appropriate wine.

Archived