British v US tastes

crowie

We're due to sail on the CP next month. Usually Princess has more formal afternoon teas which I truly enjoy. We did an 11-day Celebrity cruise last year - only one formal tea the entire time :( very disappointing!

Must say this thread makes me want to leave for the cruise now!!

We're due to sail on the CP next month. Usually Princess has more formal afternoon teas which I truly enjoy. We did an 11-day Celebrity cruise last year - only one formal tea the entire time :( very disappointing!

Must say this thread makes me want to leave for the cruise now!!

If you like formal teas, why not try the QM2 with Cunard, or for 2008 the new Queen Victoria, (the QE2 being very different to other ships and a bit of an acquired taste) where they serve formal afternoon tea every day except boarding day! :)

We, too, have enjoyed sailing with Brits. On our last two cruises, we had Brits on our Trivia teams and we won a lot!

I always thought that CP stood for Crown Princess. If CP stands for Sea Princess, what are the initials for the Crown Princess?

Roberta

I believe that Crown is KP and Coral is CO.

Spotted Dick is very popular in my neck of the woods,I make it quite often.My Hubby always wants Spotted Dick whilst dining out,I always REFUSE to order it,I still cant managed to keep a straight face even at my age.

We can't get enough of British comedy television. Favorites include 'Allo 'Allo, Red Dwarf, Vicar of Dibley, Blackadder, Mr. Bean, Keeping Up Appearances, Ab Fab, Little Britain (have to admit we skip over a few of the skits in this show), Are You Being Served, Dame Edna's Neighborhood Watch.

Okay, I guess everything is my favorite. I didn't realize how many there were until now.:D

There are a couple questions I'd like to ask...

1. Why is the British TV series (season) so short? It seems like there are only six or so episodes per series (season). :confused:

2. What's the deal with the "ground floor" and having the "first floor" where we call the second floor? :confused:

No, the real question is why you Americans call the first floor the "second floor"! ;) :D

Mr W Pedia is, as always, our friend.

LOL, yes I thought of that too, especially since you're country has been around a little longer than ours. ;)

That was a good article. Naturally, I had to go on and read the linked page about the 13th floor. I noticed that the Crown Princess skipped that number. I thought the fear of using that in modern buildings was finally out-dated. I guess not.

As a Brit I suddenly feel quite proud!!

In the UK I just get the impression from the news that we are all binge drinking larger louts.

Spotted dick - real comfort food for those cold wet winter nights.

First cruise on the sea princess in May '07 - Can't wait!!!:D

P.S. About the short season runs in UK comedy I have no idea but is equally fustrating to me:rolleyes:

As a Brit I suddenly feel quite proud!!

In the UK I just get the impression from the news that we are all binge drinking larger louts.

Spotted dick - real comfort food for those cold wet winter nights.

First cruise on the sea princess in May '07 - Can't wait!!!:D

P.S. About the short season runs in UK comedy I have no idea but is equally fustrating to me:rolleyes:

A translation for the Americans:- in the first paragraph he means 'lager (beer) louts'!:D :D :D

If I read this thread before I booked my next cruise I'd be sailing on the Sea Princess and not the Coral. The Brit flavor of Princess has always been its most favorable feature to me, so to have a ship full of fellow passengers that are Brits would really appeal to me.

Here's a question for you Brits. I've always thought that the Lipton brand tea that they offer at afternoon tea on the ship was a bit of a comedown. Here in the U.S. Lipton is a (rather dreadful IMHO) mass market brand. I thought that they'd have a high quality tea with the British heritage of the line. What do you think of the tea they serve? (Yes, American tea is for the most part horrid.)

In my opinion the tea is awful On the Sea Princess we found a "breakfast blend" tea which was slightly better than Lipton. The problem is you don't get boiling water, just hot. This just doesn't make a decent cup of tea. Next time we cruise I'm bringing my own teabags to see if that helps, if not its coffee again for breakfast which never happens at home.

we sailed on the Sea princess in July.We also sailed on it when it was the Adonia under P.O. there was very little difference in the food only there seemed to be a few American dishes on the breakfast buffet.We prefered more Americans gn board it made for more interesting conversations.

Have a good cruise.

Paddywig

Just back from the Dawn Princess Mex Riviera cruise. We heard a knock on our cabin door. And there standing at the door was the Brit with whom we had chatted quite a few times and also had a formal photo taken with them by the ship photographer at the Captains Welcome Party. He had brought us copies of the photos! With some quick thinking, we were at least able to offer him a bottle of a decent Napa Cabernet from our stock! But memory of this will be with us for a long time. /Sultan

PS: The cruise had Twinnings Tea.

ooops - sorry about my spelling earlier ( it wasn't due to the large amounts of lager I've drunk!! honest!!).

Also hoping to meet other nationalities on board - does make conversation so much more intresting

I wasn't picking you up on your spelling (CC rules don't allow such behaviour), I just thought that the 'term', 'lager lout', might not have been heard outside our shores, so folk might have wondered who or what a 'larger lout' is!:D

ps. I am unsusual, I hate tea, so can't help, but I thought Liptons used to be a budget supermarket!

Just heard that a new ship, the "Priscilla Princess ", will be added to the fleet in time for Pacific itineraries during the summer 2007 season.

Some of the purported features include:

• Anytime BBQs
  • Special formal wear requirements ... khaki will be the 'cloth de rigeur'
  • Tennis Courts will be replaced by cricket pitches
  • Carry on luggage will be extended to include eskys
  • Sheilas will be confined to one bar ... the blokes, the rest
  • Nightly entertainment will be shared by 'The Wiggles' and 'Rolf Harris'
  • Regular sports contests, such as 'crow calling', 'thong throwing' and 'croc wrestling' in the ship's pool, will be held
  • The bars will only have limited hours of operation ... 5.00am till 4.00am
  • Breakfast will be served promptly at 11.00am ... to allow plenty of time to sober up
  • Poms & Yanks welcome on board ... yeah, right!

That was a good article. Naturally, I had to go on and read the linked page about the 13th floor. I noticed that the Crown Princess skipped that number. I thought the fear of using that in modern buildings was finally out-dated. I guess not.
You'll also notice that there are no cabins numbered "13" either.

Wot's that penguin doing on the tellie?

Archived