Problem family of 3 at a table for 4

fann1sh

I'm travelling with my 80something parents. My DM has started to have Alzheimer type symptoms, trouble with memory and names, and tends to get more confused after the sun goes down (she is being treated by an excellent gerentologist). Since we're eating at the more popular Early Seating time, can I expect a solo traveller to join us if we get the table for 4 we asked for? Do you think under the circumstances we should give HAL a "heads up", not for our benefit/privacy, but to prevent someone else from having less fun at meals than they planned?

Unless the seating at that dining time is very tight, they probably would not assign a solo to a family... but it has happened. Notifying HAL before hand would be a good idea, but also follow up with a visit to the Maitre d once you board.

We had a gentleman with early Alzheimer's at our table for eight for the last half of the world cruise. His wife told us about his condition. We thoroughly enjoyed being around both of them, and I think we added to his enjoyment of the cruise because he wasn't shut out of things. If you do end up with a fourth at your table, let them know about your Mom's condition and they will probably be able to accept the situation and make allowances. If not they will probably request to be moved.

I agree with the above, but recommend your TA make the contact with HAL as well. Your TA knows how to get to the right people with your request which may not be handled as well by a customer service operator on an 800 line.

Also, to be sure and to avoid embarassment, check with the Maitre d' right after you board (don't wait until you arrive for dinner) so he won't assign a floater or a table switcher to your table at the last minute.

Sunday Oct 22nd is Memory Walk for Alzheimers in NYC.

Many have it. My father does. HAL can know but sometimes added people will benefit from an experience in dining .. as yoiur family may as well.. it could be a mutual benefit for all.

The color red too stay away from for her as it disrupts them .. So much has to be found and studies done .. even Tufts the other day released info about Coffe at the rate of at least 5 cups a day helps.. but is it arabica or caffine les.. I do not know about it enough yet even with MEMY:OTC in the next Borough to us.. they have Two Noble Prize winners on the board.:cool:

I'm travelling with my 80something parents. My DM has started to have Alzheimer type symptoms, trouble with memory and names, and tends to get more confused after the sun goes down (she is being treated by an excellent gerentologist). Since we're eating at the more popular Early Seating time, can I expect a solo traveller to join us if we get the table for 4 we asked for? Do you think under the circumstances we should give HAL a "heads up", not for our benefit/privacy, but to prevent someone else from having less fun at meals than they planned?

You might want to mention something to the matri 'd right after you board, but I wouldn't worry excessively about it. With the "greying" of the population, chances are that most people have had experience with someone in their family suffering from Alzheimers, and wouldn't be put off by your mom's symptoms anyway.

Actually, the chances are no one will be seated with the three of you anyway ... as solos would tend to be grouped at a table with other solos. But, if by some chance another person were to be placed at your table, just mention your mom's condition to them by way of warning, and if they have a probelm with it, let them ask the matri 'd for a seat change.

I know some people on this thread have suggested calling ship's services. You can always do that, but it is my understanding that each individual matri 'd is the "lord" of his dining room, and ship's services has very little to do with how he does the seating requests. So, I would just go and see him as soon as you board.

Hope you and your folks have a wonderful cruise!

Blue skies ...

--rita

As far as dining goes, perhaps your mom would be more comfortable with a table along an edge or in a corner rather than with a lot of people moving around her? I'm hearing impaired, and I notice that I have a much easier time at dinner if we're not seated in the middle of the room with all of the auditory distractions coming at me in every direction. Not sure that it would make a difference for your mom, though.

And, just in case, would your mom benefit from having an id bracelet so that if she does get lost or confused that someone would be able to help her?

Have a lovely cruise -- I hope you get some great pictures and some wonderful time with your parents.

Each HAL ship has a coordinator who communicates dining requests to the maitre d' on board the ship. We are also a party of three who prefer a table to ourselves. I called Ships Services and was provided with the name and email address of Noordam's coordinator. I requested a specific four-place, window table near the entrance, so we wouldn't have to maneuver dad's wheelchair through narrow aisles. Unfortunately, he ignored my requested table and insisted "the ship" wants to assign us to a four-place table with a two-top next to it that can somehow be combined to seat 8. Sigh. But I did get a response. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I do recommend contacting HAL and letting them know of your situation and your table preference. You may have better luck and it might avoid you having to stand in a long line to see the maitre d' on sailing day to change your table.

Happy cruising,

Susan

Archived