American families react to cruise Brawl in Bermuda

FIRELT5

I don't know why we should all feel sorry for them. They were grown men with wives and families who should not have been out getting drunk and beating up other people. It is people like that, who give us the term "ugly Americans" I was always taught when I went to someone elses house,you should act in a very mannerly way. They were in someone elses country, they should have learned along time ago to behave themselves. Pat

Perhaps if US courts took this route- people would realize you can't "buy off your bad behavior". Common courtesy costs nothing. Don't do the crime if you're not prepared to do the time.

Also, whole-heartedly support the comments above - you abide by someone else's rule when you're in their house!!

It isn't the courts who are going to deprive these folks of their jobs and homes, it's their own stupid actions. :(

As for the father's threat never to visit a British Island again, I can hear the sighs of relief from Brits around the world! :rolleyes:

Guest LoveMyBoxer
It isn't the courts who are going to deprive these folks of their jobs and homes, it's their own stupid actions. :(

As for the father's threat never to visit a British Island again, I can hear the sighs of relief from Brits around the world! :rolleyes:

As the British would say: "Here, here!"

Perhaps this will be a lesson learned that obviously they did not learn at a younger age. I think it is accountability for your actions. What if that fight had led to someone's death would all these excuses still apply. They seem to have all sorts of reasons not to do the time for the crime. I travel to Bermuda at least once a year and this reaffirms my love for that wonderful little island.

Well with actions as these gentleman decided to pull, and the courts solid stance, I'll be back in Bermuda. These two are lucky they were not in Mexico or Chile or Bolivia, or MANY other countries, at least thier rights will be respected in Bermuda. I am ashamed at my Countrymen.

Sorry - no sympathy from me. You commit a crime in a foreign country, you pay the penalty. If they were so concerned about their families and their jobs and their health and that of their family members, they should have thought about that before beating the tar out of the victim. Time to pay the piper!

I also want to reply to the statement made by one of their fathers. "They aren't that type of people." Well, they sure ACTED like they were that "type of people" - and I am sure that it is NOT the first time they acted like this. Probably it is just the first time they were caught and are being made to pay the penalty. Maybe if they had had to pay the penalties earlier in life, they wouldn't be in the position they are today.

Applause to the Courts. Finally a government with some "big ones" who won't take excuses for bad behaviour. Not like our courts who seem to accept every stupid excuse or psychological "syndrome" whenever someone commits a crime. Like here in Wisconsin, the parents of the kid who shot the school principal are saying it's not his fault---he's really a good boy---but it's the government's fault that he didn't have his medication. Yeah, right !!!!

I certainly don't want to start this thread off on another tangent but can someone tell me if this was a hate crime of any sort? If not, do we know what the altercation was all about? Was it something carried over from the ship or strictly a local club thing?

Just curious.

do we know what the altercation was all about? Was it something carried over from the ship or strictly a local club thing?[/

Based on the article, it just sounds like 3 guys who had way too much to drink. It doesn't sound like the victim was picked at random, but rather whatever started in the bar was finished outside. I feel sorry for everyone involved .... it should not have happened, but people make mistakes and I think it's pretty sad that due to stupidity the vacation of all 3 of these guys ended the way it did and that they are all now suffering, along with their families. No comment on the jail sentence .... just wanted to say that I'm the odd one out here and that I have some compassion for all involved.

I did a little bit of research and all I could find was 'a misunderstanding over a woman'. So it apparently was no hate crime. And the attack was particularly vicious with two men on one and beating with fists as well as kicks to the head. Let's face it, these guys could have killed him.

While I have no real problem with fisticuffs (as long as they don't involve me!), I do have a problem when the playing field is not even as this two on one deal. Now before anyone thinks I am in favor of this type of behavior, that is not the case. But with an even playing field and both parties at fault, I am okay with a fine. This sounds more like two bullies jumping one guy and for that I like the sentence they rec'd. Maybe they'll think twice the next time.

Besides, what were married men doing fighting over anything involving another woman? Lucky he didn't come home to me! Now there would be a fight!

Meh, the sentence was fitting I think. I'm sure that the $7500 each party gleefully offered to pay the victim in lieu of jail time, can be used instead to keep their respective families afloat for the next few months.

I was kinda surprised to find that Bermuda has the third-highest prison population rate in the world, with Belarus in the #2 spot and the US in #1. Either the courts there aren't afraid to hand out prison sentences, or the crime rate is really getting out of hand in parts of the island. Maybe a bit of both.

I had a drunk stranger punch me in the face for rejecting his "romantic" advances 3 years ago in Greece, and guess what, he's STILL in maximum security prison with automatic deporation for life(he wasn't Greek) when he's released next year, 4 years, NO APPEALS, and it all took less than 48 hours from crime to sentencing!

So watch ur step here in Greece, boyz!!

Those redneck American hoodlums got off way too light in my opinion!

I can imagine how they treat the wife & family, can you say "anger management???"... just look at the dad, does he look like a MAFIOSO or what?!!.. :D

Archived