The HAL standard is on the way down -no more enrichment!

msj161

Holland America Line is in full progress of cutting down costs with direct effect on passengers. All are aware of that they have started to charge for specialty coffees. Now HAL has made the decision to put an end to enrichment lectures onboard all the fleet. Offering guest high-quality enrichment lectures has always been a standard set by HAL but no more. Loyal HAL enrichment lecturers are already being "thrown overboard" by HAL. From 2007 there will be no more enrichment lectures on the HAL ships. Not even on Prinsendam or cruises to exotic destinations. This is in order to cut down costs. The cruise line will in the future focus on "shore excursion lectures" with shore excursion sales staff offering lectures about the tours on sale. HAL feels that this will increase the sale of shore excursions and make more money. This is definitely lowering the standard of the cruise line.

That is a shame. I know some really loved the lectures. We attended some on our Panama Canal cruise on the Rotterdam some years back and enjoyed the information. The lectures were poorly attended unfortunately and maybe that might be part of the reason for eliminating this.

I kind of doubt they are eliminating enrichment lectures. I know that they generally only offer them on sailings of longer than ten days, though ... and that makes sense since most people on shorter sailings have very little interest in that sort of thing. Too many ports, too much else to do. No one on those shorter cruises wants to sit in an auditorium and listen to a lecture.

But on the longer cruises, with lots of sea days, I can't even imagine HAL eliminating enrichment lectures ... especially since they really don't cost the line very much to offer ... just the cost of the lecturer's cabin and whatnot. Heck, I think we had like six enrichment lecturers during the course of our 30-day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise. Two would get off, and another two would get on. So, what's the cost for that? Two cabins total for the entire voyage? Win/win deal for HAL, win/win for the lecturer.

As for the specialty coffees ... well, it's the same with them as with the Pinnacle ... no one says you HAVE to have specialty coffees. The regular coffee is always available, at no extra charge, in the Lido. But even if you want a specialty coffee drink ... the price is very, very reasonable ... like a dollar something. I have no problem paying it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We really enjoyed the guest lectures on the Prinsendam this past April & our's were always well attended...Have to admit that I only attended those which were directly about places we were traveling to on our cruises...We will miss this type of lecture...

A lecture last year on the "Meaning of my Dreams" was very boring for me ;) & not well attended at all..

Happy cruising all..:) Betty

..... Now HAL has made the decision to put an end to enrichment lectures onboard all the fleet. Offering guest high-quality enrichment lectures has always been a standard set by HAL but no more. Loyal HAL enrichment lecturers are already being "thrown overboard" by HAL. From 2007 there will be no more enrichment lectures on the HAL ships. Not even on Prinsendam or cruises to exotic destinations. This is in order to cut down costs. The cruise line will in the future focus on "shore excursion lectures" with shore excursion sales staff offering lectures about the tours on sale. HAL feels that this will increase the sale of shore excursions and make more money. This is definitely lowering the standard of the cruise line.

Hello, msj161:

As Jean (elmorejj) asked earlier, could you please tell us how you know this? Who is your source? This is your first post here on CC, and your public profile lists no information about you. May I politely ask you how we can ascertain that what you describe is accurate? Thank you.

A lecture last year on the "Meaning of my Dreams" was very boring for me ;) & not well attended at all..

That's the hit and miss thing about shipboard lecturers. I really wish HAL would more carefully select them. Yes, someone could have a great topic and be very, very well-qualified to lecture on it ... but if they have a boring delivery style, they're not gonna retain a very large audience.

I've seen some lecturers pack the house. After their first lecture or so, the cruise director had to move them from a smaller venue to a larger one because of all of the people they were drawing. But then I've seen other lectures, on what would seem to be fascinating topics ... where the longer the lecturer talked, the more people were getting up and walking out. And, the ones who weren't were snoring. :)

A good lecturer can be worth gold to the cruise line ... and could find themselves being invited back to sail more and more often. But a bad one probably isn't even worth the cabin space he is taking up.

Blue skies ...

--rita

The lectures that used to be listed as "Flagship forum" aren't in the current brochure for next summer.

I remember a thread of about a year ago that discussed enrichment series for all cruises longer than 14 days, does anyone else remember this?

Another thing that i don't see in the 2007 Europe cruises brochure is any cruise listed as a "Big Band Cruise". There are usually one or two fall transatlantics listed as such. Does anyone know anything about this?

GN

HAL is presenting the Explorations Guest Speaker Series, under the Signature of Excellence program, and under the auspices of the New York Times Explorations Cafe:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/signatureofexcellence/explorationscafe.do

This appears to be available on longer cruises. Here are some examples:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/southamerica

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/europe

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/hawaii

This doesn't sound like cost cutting to me. Does it to any of you?

Oh, and on our 7-day cruise to Alaska this past summer, we enjoyed the talks and presentations of an onboard naturalist, a member of the Tlingit tribe in Alaska, and two park rangers at Glacier Bay National Park. So even on our short cruise, we had ample exposure to indepth cultural, historical, and geographical enrichment.

Karin

The source is a HAL cruise director and has been confirmed by a second person. I originally belived that this was just valid for shorter sailings but in fact this will be the stanbard for all cruises including 14+ day cruises and Prinsendam world and exotic sailings.

This is of course very negative for HAL and they have not made any statements and most probably won't. It is something that will just take effect over a period in 2007.

We get a kick out our fellow passengers at the guest lecturer programs. After just a few minutes the old folks nod off. It is very entertaining to look around and see how many are asleep and who the snorers are.

There was a time when we used to go to the shore excursion talk to try and learn something about a new port that we had not been to. BUT THEY KNEW NOTHING!!! In fact when we talked to a couple of them after their "reading of the excursion from the booklet that everyone gets", several admitted that they had never been to many of the ports, knew nothing of the ports and couldn't answer any questions and were new on board.

If they intend to sell more shore excursions, they better get some staff who know and have been on the tours.

Say it isn't so!

We usually take the longer cruises and always look forward to the generally excellent lectures - they are a VERY important factor in choosing cruises.

If the lectures are dropped it will be a major blunder - and a major loss.

(And if HAL thinks they can make up for the loss of lectures with towel animals they're sadly mistaken.)

The source is a HAL cruise director and has been confirmed by a second person. I originally belived that this was just valid for shorter sailings but in fact this will be the stanbard for all cruises including 14+ day cruises and Prinsendam world and exotic sailings.

This is of course very negative for HAL and they have not made any statements and most probably won't. It is something that will just take effect over a period in 2007.

Have you, perhaps, been a part of this program in the past?

I'd be disappointed if HAL dropped the naturalist that provides commentary during Alaska cruises, but I have to question wether HAL would drop all kinds of enrichment - they seem to be promoting their food & wine guest speakers heavily on longer cruises.

I could understand if they cut them out for 7 day cruises, but for longer voyages, particularily a world cruise, I'd expect at least a few guest speakers.

Exploration series lectures are mentioned as a feature of the 2007 world cruise and we will be really disappointed and really bored on sea days if HAL doesn't have them. They were the highlight of our 2005 world cruise.

The shore excursion lectures by Frank Buckingham were very good on the 2005 cruise. He gave practical information on how to do a port if you didn't want to take the excursions and was also available to answer questions at his desk couple of hours a day.

I can't believe HAL would do away with lectures on the longer cruises that have several sea days in a row.

We get a kick out our fellow passengers at the guest lecturer programs. After just a few minutes the old folks nod off. It is very entertaining to look around and see how many are asleep and who the snorers are.

Don't laugh ... I'm only 50 ... but sadly, I have to admit that I've nodded off too. Woke up when they turned the lights back on. :( Don't think I snore, though. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

We agree it would be a shame for them to be discontinued, especially for our next cruise to NZ and Australia. We would understand though, because on our Veendam cruise last year they were poorly attended. We enjoyed the lecturer very much and his topic was interesting at least to us it was.

On page 21 of HAL's Europe cruises 2007 it says

"Explorations Speaker Series to illuminate the art, culture, history, and Cuisine of each port" This is listed under "A deeper experience" in the middle of column #1.

This page highlights the European Cruising experience.

From this i would say the speakers program is still in effect, at least in Europe for 2007.

GN

Holland America Line is in full progress of cutting down costs with direct effect on passengers. All are aware of that they have started to charge for specialty coffees. Now HAL has made the decision to put an end to enrichment lectures onboard all the fleet. Offering guest high-quality enrichment lectures has always been a standard set by HAL but no more. Loyal HAL enrichment lecturers are already being "thrown overboard" by HAL. From 2007 there will be no more enrichment lectures on the HAL ships. Not even on Prinsendam or cruises to exotic destinations. This is in order to cut down costs. The cruise line will in the future focus on "shore excursion lectures" with shore excursion sales staff offering lectures about the tours on sale. HAL feels that this will increase the sale of shore excursions and make more money. This is definitely lowering the standard of the cruise line.

Just getting back from a 3 day church convention I am way behind on my so I haven't taken time to read what others are saying, but here is my take. I know I harp on this quite often and many don't want to hear it: but the trend in cruising is rapidly changing and what the cruisers of the future want is very different from what, perhaps you and I wanted in the past. We have to accept this. The second thing to consider: HAL is either going to have to re-define themselves and become part of the luxury class with amenties and prices to match or continue to try and be competitive. The prices they charge won't always support all the special programs you may want. Now, it is up to you to decide if you want to spend the extra money to cruise on lines that do offer activities that you enjoy or do you want to continue cruising on a mass marketed line? I am not saying these things to upset anyone or start an all out war, I am just trying to point out a few facts. NMnita

HAL is presenting the Explorations Guest Speaker Series, under the Signature of Excellence program, and under the auspices of the New York Times Explorations Cafe:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/signatureofexcellence/explorationscafe.do

This appears to be available on longer cruises. Here are some examples:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/southamerica

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/europe

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/hawaii

This doesn't sound like cost cutting to me. Does it to any of you?

Oh, and on our 7-day cruise to Alaska this past summer, we enjoyed the talks and presentations of an onboard naturalist, a member of the Tlingit tribe in Alaska, and two park rangers at Glacier Bay National Park. So even on our short cruise, we had ample exposure to indepth cultural, historical, and geographical enrichment.

Karin

Karin, as for the Alaskan cruise, most of the cruise lines offer an onboard naturalist. this is the one itinerary where this holds true as far as I know. Again, I say most, I am sure there are exceptions. NMnita

OR, it is entirely possible that the CD was correct, the OP didn't misunderstand what he was told, a change has recently been made in the Explorations Guest Speaker Series and there will be no more lecturers as of 2007, but as so often happens neither the website nor the brochures yet show this new information. :eek:

Weren't both the website and printed materials very slow to show that jeans are now allowed on casual nights, yet that was already the policy on the ships?

Archived