November water temps in the Caribbean - too cold for snorkeling?

orchidking

HI:

We are getting very excited about our Thanksgiving Westerdam trip (In fact the docs came today!!). We usually visit the Caribbean in the summer. Can anyone tell me if the sea temperature in November is still comfortable for snorkeling? As Floridians with thin blood, water temp can be an issue.

Thanks.

Marty

We went on the Zuiderdam last November 2005 and the Carribbean waters were great. They were about 75 at Half Moon Cay and 80 at Virgin Islands. Enjoy!

Tom

PS I took my own fins and snorkel which I recommend if you have the room.

Water temps in the Bahamas can be a bit cool (note previous reference to 75deg).

A good idea is to wear a "rash guard" shirt while snorkeling. It provides some warmth and is good protection against the little stingy things like no-seeum jelly fish.

They are designed for surfers, and are designed for a tight fit.

Fortunately, Henderson Dive Wear makes a bit looser shirt for those of us not endowed with a six pack.:p

Before going to a scuba shop, give them a call to see if they carry Henderson or a like brand.

I think I have snorkeled in the Caribbean about every month of the year. Sure, you can have an unusual rain storm or overcast which will affect the snorkeling but November usually is a great time to snorkel. As for taking your own equiptment, it is a good idea, but a bother at the same time. I wouldn't worry as much about the fins as the mask. NMnita

:) Hi Orchid King:

Ever gone swimming in the Pacific ocean off the coasts of Washington or Oregon? I have, and lived to tell the tale!:eek: You go numb after just a few minutes. And that's in the summer! We'll be in the Caribbean in December, and believe me, I'll be in the water. It will seem like a swimming pool to me:)

Karin

karin - Had to laugh at the reference to the Pacific up your way. I lived up in Tacoma from '63 to '83 and remember my one and only "dip" in Puget Sound in '63. Hot July day (hot for Tacoma) and the water looked so inviting. Having just moved from Florida I couldn't imagine why folks weren't in the water. I found out!!!! :eek: Not sure I'm right on but as I recall the average water temp is something like 52 -56 degrees. (????)

A good idea is to wear a "rash guard" shirt while snorkeling. It provides some warmth and is good protection against the little stingy things like no-seeum jelly fish.
Excellent suggestion. This garment will also provide the best possible UV protection. Don't think that a t-shirt will protect you from the sun. A wet cotton t-shirt is practically transparent to the burning UV rays. http://www.sungrubbies.com is a good source for sun protection clothing, including swim shirts.

Ever gone swimming in the Pacific ocean off the coasts of Washington or Oregon? I have, and lived to tell the tale!:eek: You go numb after just a few minutes.
What Karen forgot to mention was that, in addition to numbness, there will be "shrinkage". ;)

Boy, you can tell the non-Floridians. I will go into the water south of the

Bahamas in November, but not in January or February. The Bahamas water

temp can be chilly in November. The Floridians are always the ones who put

their toes in and say it's too cold to go in.

Boy, you can tell the non-Floridians. I will go into the water south of the

Bahamas in November, but not in January or February. The Bahamas water

temp can be chilly in November. The Floridians are always the ones who put

their toes in and say it's too cold to go in.

I'm with you--I thought the water was FREEZING at HMC last December. I'm hoping it won't seem so cold this December. And I'm looking forward to Tuesday here in Orlando--an expected high of 75 means sweater time! ;)

I'm with you--I thought the water was FREEZING at HMC last December. I'm hoping it won't seem so cold this December. And I'm looking forward to Tuesday here in Orlando--an expected high of 75 means sweater time! ;)
Too funny about the weather and sweater sime. Our daughter and sil live in Windermere. When they call me and I am sitting outside in the 60 degree sunshine they just cringe. I am hoping, not being used to the warm water we won't find HMC water to cold. As I said we rarely have found this to be the case while cruising. Actually Roatan, 2 years ago, mid November was too cold, but that was the only time. I said in an earlier message never, I do remember that day: it was too cold to do much of anything. NMnita

We've been at HMC in November/December when the water was glorious and times when it was too cold for me. It varies.

The temperatures in the Caribbean really don't vary that much all year. It is the humidity that is much higher in the summer.

Excellent suggestion. This garment will also provide the best possible UV protection. Don't think that a t-shirt will protect you from the sun. A wet cotton t-shirt is practically transparent to the burning UV rays. www.sungrubbies.com is a good source for sun protection clothing, including swim shirts.

Good catch, Bruce. I forgot about that benny. Thanks for the backup.

We are Floridians and snorkle-freaks. A few years ago we picked up some short-sleeved, short-legged wetsuits at Sam's Club that were so cheap we couldn't pass them up. It was the best purchase we ever made! No matter where we cruise we pack them and bring them on all our snorkel trips.

If the water's really warm we don't bother putting them on, but I'd say 9 times out of 10 (in the Caribbean) we've put them on and were so grateful to be COMFORTABLE snorkeling. We stayed in the water a lot longer than the other folks who got out because they started feeling chilled after a few minutes. Especially on independent tours, where they take you to a few spots and you have to get back out of the water, drive to a new location, and have to get back in the water again....they made all the difference in the world. The folks on board who were snorkling "bare" didn't want to re-enter the water...they were freezing. We jumped in everytime and were never cold. We really got our money's worth out of every trip. We couldn't believe how cool the water was in November and December in the Caribbean and even as far south as Aruba!

If you belong to one of these clubs (Sam's, BJ's, Costco, etc) see if they have them. Their prices are so much cheaper than the dive shops.

Happy snorkeling, and keep warm!!:D

Nancy & Henry

(thin-blooded Floridians)

Archived