****Live From the Golden Princess****

T&J

Tony and/or Arlene:

We usually book a balcony or mini suite when we cruise. I just love the balcony. I could sleep out there if I could get away with it. Anyway, I did check on the Princess website for what is still available on the 11/04 Holyland cruise and all the balconies are waitlisted:( . Plus the price has gone up from when we booked by about 700.00USpp for a BA:eek: ! Would still somehow love to meet you all on this cruise, if you have any suggestions.

Tony, also if you could give us any suggestions on flights to Europe (to Athens and then back from Rome) that would be appreciated. Like what airlines to use. Any tips or tricks (I'm sure you have some). Flying to Europe from Western Canada doesn't appear easy.

I hope it's OK to be talking about this stuff on this thread. If not somebody please let me know. I'm sorry Tony in advance if I shouldn't be.

Laura

Curt glad to hear that they are looking after you...say hello for me to Giorgio the Maitre'd would you in the Dinning Room for me!

What did they end up giving you btw?...I got the Owners Suite on here which was very nice!

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Tony,

We will be seeing Giorgio this evening (formal night) and will tell him you said hello!!!

We ended up with a Suite on Caribe Deck!:D

Curt:)

Thanks for a great review of your tour, Tony. I'm not sure that a visit to Egypt is on the radar for us any time in the future, but it was interesting reading about the places you visited. It sounds like too much to do off a cruise ship.

The idea of Med cruises really didn't create much excitement for me before you started this thread. Now, my mind is changing a little (and I know my wife wants desperately to go to Italy) so maybe I'll just have to surprise her with a med cruise for a special occasion.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=8352710#post8352710 is a very nice request from our Community Manager (post 1284 on this thread dated Nov. 17) to stay on topic, cut the personal chit chat so that those who want to read Tony's travels don't have to wade through a bunch of other chat?

I hope you will respect Laura's request and that if you missed it, you will go back and re-read?

Your cooperation will be appreciated so that we can continue to enjoy this thread?

Caroline

Cruise Critic Host

As a side note (and at the risk of upsetting the thread "police"), my partner and I will be on the Golden from Acapulco to San Francisco next April and I seem to remember reading somewhere on this thread that you are going to be on that as well?? Would love to meet for a drink.

Cheers!!

Rolando

Rolando, a bunch of us are on the Golden; some like Tony and us boarding in Buenos Aires, others getting on in Santiago and some, like you, boarding in Acapulco. We'll "warm up" the ship for you. :)

Arlene

Thanks for a great review of your tour, Tony. I'm not sure that a visit to Egypt is on the radar for us any time in the future, but it was interesting reading about the places you visited. It sounds like too much to do off a cruise ship.

I agree that trying to do Egypt from a cruise ship is next to impossible. But, since we've been thwarted by our State Dept. on two different occasions (land tours), we're hoping that next year's Royal cruise will be "third time lucky."

Arlene

The idea of Med cruises really didn't create much excitement for me before you started this thread. Now, my mind is changing a little (and I know my wife wants desperately to go to Italy) so maybe I'll just have to surprise her with a med cruise for a special occasion.

I really think you have to do one...it's like doing a sampler and then if you like it do anotehr one perhaps the Greek Isles or an extended Med cruise or repositioning afterwards.

I am proud if I can influence you or sway your decision in booking one!

Tony

Tony,

We will be seeing Giorgio this evening (formal night) and will tell him you said hello!!!

We ended up with a Suite on Caribe Deck!:D

Curt:)

That's great news Curt...I hope Cindy and yourself are enjoying the jaccuzzi tub?

Thanks again for saying hello to Giorgio for me!

Tony

Tony and/or Arlene:

We usually book a balcony or mini suite when we cruise. I just love the balcony. I could sleep out there if I could get away with it. Anyway, I did check on the Princess website for what is still available on the 11/04 Holyland cruise and all the balconies are waitlisted:( . Plus the price has gone up from when we booked by about 700.00USpp for a BA:eek: ! Would still somehow love to meet you all on this cruise, if you have any suggestions.

Tony, also if you could give us any suggestions on flights to Europe (to Athens and then back from Rome) that would be appreciated. Like what airlines to use. Any tips or tricks (I'm sure you have some). Flying to Europe from Western Canada doesn't appear easy.

I hope it's OK to be talking about this stuff on this thread. If not somebody please let me know. I'm sorry Tony in advance if I shouldn't be.

Laura

Lara, I would book an outside cabin for now like CAT D or DD and closer to sailing see if there are any balconies that are available and possibly have come down in price in the interim.

As to flights that are cheap within Europe book a flight into London from your Gateway city out West and book seperately a discount carrier like Easyjet. (www.easyjet.com) and sometimes that saves a lot of $$$$. They have very cheap fares within Europe like $20.00 roundtrip from Gatwick to Rome or Gatwick to Athens.

If you want convenience, Air Canada has non-stop flights from Toronto to Rome #890 that leaves at 8:30pm at night and arrives at 10:00am + 1 day with a return schedule for AC#891 from Rome-Toronto that leaves at 12:40pm and arrives at 4:30pm and you cna connect to a flight out West.

Tony

T... Glad you are back safe and sound . I enjoyed reading about your second day . I would be having a fit if I only got 22 minutes to shop .

Why would Javier not wear the necklace if he thought you paid too much ? That make no sense .

How do you think Princess is going to feel when "they" read that you would not recommend this excursion . Lots of lost revenue for Princess that's for sure . Many people here value your opinion and I for one would not do this tour based on your experiience .

BTW you did not answer my questions from Day 1 and I forgot them now .

No what I meant is that Javier would never be able to appreciate a necklace and cartouche fully knowing that I paid almost $1000.00 USD. If he was there with me he wouldn't have bought it for himself or for me! He doesn't have a good eye for stuff like that C...not like you the "Shop Queen"....I wouldn't of wanted to be around you after that!

You would have freaked out if you were there with only 22 minutes of shopping time....

I did answer you question regarding is it safe to go and why so much security? I'll go back and find my post that I answered you on it and cut and paste it on here again.

Tony

Hello Tony (and all)

I've been following this thread closely with particular interest in your Egypt experience. Thank you very much for posting. My partner and I were booked on this cruise with you but had to cancel a few months ago. Glad to see your recommendation concerning cruise line vs private tour in Egypt. We will be on the Costa Concordia for a 10 day new years cruise (not our favorite but difficult to find ships in Europe for the winter), and we'll have a stop in Alexandria. We have arranged for a private tour (we have a group of 7) with De Castro tours. I had some questions relating to the security convoy for the private tours but I see that others are making reference to a posting by Vicki (??) that addresses this?? Any help on finding that thread would be great.

As a side note (and at the risk of upsetting the thread "police"), my partner and I will be on the Golden from Acapulco to San Francisco next April and I seem to remember reading somewhere on this thread that you are going to be on that as well?? Would love to meet for a drink.

Cheers!!

Rolando

Rolando, you will have an opportunity to meet me (not Javier as he won't be on that cruise with me) on that cruise from ACA-SFO as I will be on from March 8th until SFO April 12th....I have no problem allowing you to buy me drinks if you insist on meeting!:D ..sure would love to meet you guys as well.

Vivki (Adiamo!) did the same tour almost to the letter with a private tour operator. The convoy for Independant tours was lead as well by the police only into the City of Cairo on the first day and then they were on there own. IMHO it wasn't needed but only mandated by the Government as a "show of force".

Vicki hopefully will post her tour experience on here later today when I see her again...last night when I ran into her she "was feeling no pain" if you understand!

Tony

Welcome Back Tony,

Wow - does sound like an adventure for sure.

I too would have been very upset with the lack of shopping. I am sure Javier will love his gift.

I was laughing reading your camel adventure :D too funny.

I am sure you'll sleep well tonight.

Again, appreciate your live efforts for us all.

Cathy

Cathy overall I had fun with the Camel thing yesterday.

I did sleep well last night actually.

Glad you are enjoying this thread!

Tony

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=8352710#post8352710 is a very nice request from our Community Manager (post 1284 on this thread dated Nov. 17) to stay on topic, cut the personal chit chat so that those who want to read Tony's travels don't have to wade through a bunch of other chat?

I hope you will respect Laura's request and that if you missed it, you will go back and re-read?

Your cooperation will be appreciated so that we can continue to enjoy this thread?

Caroline

Cruise Critic Host

Carolyn we try for the most part, but we get weak when the whole "baaahhh" thing comes up...I've cut out my "night nites" in the spirit of cooperation on here and everyone seems to be trying to make an effort.

Thanks again for showing up on here and keeping things tight and hopefully you've been reading my other postings on here as well. Would be great to confirm that you too are a "fan of my Live from's".

Tony

Good morning from at Sea...

I got up just about 30 minutes ago and went upstairs in the Horzion Court and grabbed my 3 cups of "sludge" as I call it.

The ship last night was moving, actually the most on these two cruises, but didn't stop me from sleeping very well.

I have a facial and haircut booked this morning from 9:00am until 10:30am and looking forwrd to that. Not really that hungry this morning after all that food being served in the past 2 days.

There are only 5 computers working again in the Internet Cafe and all being used right now. I hope someone comes in here real soon as it will be a Zoo in here on two back to back sea days remaining.

It's kinda foggy and misty outside so I don;t how much of the sunrise you can see right now on the ships Cruise Cam?

I am going to go for breakfast in 1 hour approx abd also have to hand in a lot of laundry today as well.

More to follow later today from the Golden Princess enroute to Civitavecchia, Italy.

Tony

Carolyn we try for the most part, but we get weak when the whole "baaahhh" thing comes up...I've cut out my "night nites" in the spirit of cooperation on here and everyone seems to be trying to make an effort.

Thanks again for showing up on here and keeping things tight and hopefully you've been reading my other postings on here as well. Would be great to confirm that you too are a "fan of my Live from's".

Tony

After midnight here; way too late for me to be posting. I just looked at easyjet.com; great prices, but not good enough to make us fly into London first.

Anxiously awaiting Vicki's Egypt report.

Arlene

After midnight here; way too late for me to be posting. I just looked at easyjet.com; great prices, but not good enough to make us fly into London first.

Anxiously awaiting Vicki's Egypt report.

Arlene

Yes they are very cheap....My mother and I flew them 3 summers ago from London to Barcelona for $10.00 each one-way and from Rome to London for the same price.

Also check out www.ryanair.com for cheap fares as well within Europe.

Yes, I am surprised you are still up and posting? Hopefully I cna run into vivki today and convince her to post on here.

Tony

T... Glad you are back safe and sound . I enjoyed reading about your second day . I would be having a fit if I only got 22 minutes to shop .

Why would Javier not wear the necklace if he thought you paid too much ? That make no sense .

How do you think Princess is going to feel when "they" read that you would not recommend this excursion . Lots of lost revenue for Princess that's for sure . Many people here value your opinion and I for one would not do this tour based on your experiience .

BTW you did not answer my questions from Day 1 and I forgot them now .

C...I did answer you from Day 1...here's what I said....

C. it is an added security concern because Tourism accounts as the #2 source of income for this country after the ships passing thru the Suez Canal which in fees is the #1 source of revenue. If something were to happen to a large convoy of tourists that would kill the economy just from the bad press alone. Also, in years past bandits would drive buses off the road and lute the buses.

Let me further elaborate that after the shooting of several tourist in a Cairo Market years ago, the Government has now insisted that large tours such as ours be equiped with a security detail. They are not really there because it is unsafe but rather as a show of force. I personally did not feel unsafe at anytime whilebeing in Egypt on those two days.

Tony

We'll I am going to go and head off for breakfast now and then go to my cabin and hand in my laundry and go to my Lotus Spa appointments this morning.

I also planning on stopping by the Tour Office this morning to voice my dissatisfaction with some things that occured on the Overnight Tour.

More to follow later today from the Golden Princess enroute to Civitavecchia, Italy.

Tony

Good morning from at Sea...

It's kinda foggy and misty outside so I don;t how much of the sunrise you can see right now on the ships Cruise Cam?

More to follow later today from the Golden Princess enroute to Civitavecchia, Italy. Tony

golden_bridge.jpg

GM Tony & GN!:) :eek:

My Best!

Bill

We'll I am going to go and head off for breakfast now and then go to my cabin and hand in my laundry and go to my Lotus Spa appointments this morning.

I also planning on stopping by the Tour Office this morning to voice my dissatisfaction with some things that occured on the Overnight Tour.

Tony

:eek: :cool:

Tony, Don't forget about the Computers & Ruth!:mad:

I'll take over with her next week, but soften her up, OK?:D

GN, Bill:)

Tony, Don't forget about the Computers & Ruth!:mad:

I'll take over with her next week, but soften her up, OK?:D

GN, Bill:)

Bill it's kinda hard to soften up a crusty Brit that has mega attitude about her!...good luck with her as I have had none!

Tony

I just got back from the Lotus Spa and had an amazing facial with a gycolic peel as well...feels like new skin! I also had a haircut with John in the Lotus Spa and I would recommend him to anyone wanting to get a haircut while onboard the Golden Princess. The Lotus Spa is completely booked for ANY treatment today and also tomorrow. Tomorrow I have a Hot Stone Massage with Anthony at 11:00am.

The ship is quite busy as usual for a sea day no doubt...a lot of people seeing the Captain Cricle hostess, the Future Cruise Sales Manager and also finalize any last minute tours and transfers to the Airport or Hotels in Rome.

Tonight is Formal Night and also the Most Travelled pax's awards being given out at the last of three Coctail Receptions at 7:30pm tonight. All the other two have confirmed there attendance at the 7:30pm so I will probably as well just not to stand out being absent.

The weather today is excellent and warm with a forecasted high of 80F and light winds.

The sea is very calm now later this morning and hardly any movement at all.

I am going to go to lunch in approx. 20 minutes time and then probably have a quick nap this afternoon as I still feel a little tired from yesterday.

Tony

Archived