Opinions wanted on Labadee and Ochos Rios as only port stops

syndyj

Explorer of the Seas has two 5 night cruises leaving from Miami in April and May but the only port stops are Ochos Rios and Labadee. Having never been to either port, I am wondering if it is worth taking a cruise that stops at thee places or if it's one of those times where you go for the ship more than the destination?

Reason that I am considering this cruise is because I will be in Miami in May and looking at adding a cruise on to the trip to have a nice little getaway.

Any opinions or advice about Ochos Rios and Labadee are welcomed.

Thanks!

Labadee is a very nice beach day. We really enjoyed it and if you just want to relax and/or do some water sports, it will be a great spot. You can also do some shopping (if you like haggling) which can be fun. We found the food at the bbq lunch to be good as well.

Ocho Rios is marginal IMO. We just walked around Island Village (shopping) and bought a few small trinkets. The Margaritaville there is tiny compared to Cayman but still rather fun. Most people tend to do Dunns River Falls which I've heard nothing but outstanding things about.

If you're looking for a lot of relaxation and/or the opportunity to hang out on the ship a lot, I would go for it. If you're looking for tons of excursions, activities and/or shopping, you might be disappointed.

Ocho Rios is marginal IMO. We just walked around Island Village (shopping) and bought a few small trinkets. The Margaritaville there is tiny compared to Cayman but still rather fun. Most people tend to do Dunns River Falls which I've heard nothing but outstanding things about.

The Margaritaville in Grand Cayman just opened and from what I have read is not as big as the one in Ocho Rios nor is it on the beach. When did you go to the one in Grand Cayman ?

I will be going to Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman in December and want to check out one of the Margaritavilles. I was leaning towards Ocho Rios.

What can you tell me about the one in Grand Cayman ? Did you like the one in Grand Cayman better and if so why ? Any tips or advice about either one would be appreciated.

Thanks

The one in Cayman was HUGE compared to Ocho Rios. It's upstairs in the main shopping drag - the store is on the bottom level and the restaurant, more of the store and the HUGE water slide are upstairs. I'll try two pics and see if they work (pics from Cayman). Be aware that the prices on the menu are Cayman $$ and the conversion is staggering. A $70 lunch

We were in Ocho Rios on October 17 and Cayman on Oct 18

show_image.aspx?album_id=138490&section_id=175400&hmi_id=8153484&image_version=6&rend=WEB

show_image.aspx?album_id=138490&section_id=175400&hmi_id=8153489&image_version=6&rend=WEB

Explorer of the Seas has two 5 night cruises leaving from Miami in April and May but the only port stops are Ochos Rios and Labadee. Having never been to either port, I am wondering if it is worth taking a cruise that stops at thee places or if it's one of those times where you go for the ship more than the destination?

Reason that I am considering this cruise is because I will be in Miami in May and looking at adding a cruise on to the trip to have a nice little getaway.

Any opinions or advice about Ochos Rios and Labadee are welcomed.

Thanks!

I am booked on the May 4 sailing. I am taking it as a get-away. As someone else mentioned, Ocho Rios is so-so. Margaritaville is fun (Those Margaritaville pictures someone else posted are from the Grand Cayman one, not Ocho Rios - but they are similar)

The trip has two sea days and Labadee, which is gorgeous. If you are looking to just get-away and relax, this is perfect. There is plenty to do on the Explorer.

Labadee is a very pretty beach, and a very relaxing day. It doesn't provide anything more than that, and you don't experience any culture since it is a private peninsula owned by RCCL geted off from the rest of Haiti, but it is a great place to just swim and eat and relax.

Ocho Rios is excellent for some people - but there are always those who hate it or fear it and others who love it. Personally, I find Jamaica wonderful, and find the stop in Ocho Rios better and better the farther you get from the ship.

Being third world, like any other poorer island or Central/South American stop, near the ship you are barraged with salesmen and locals wanting to sell their goods. Jamaica is no different in this sense than Cozumel or Grenada...but the Jamaican people and culture are different and sometimes feared or misunderstood by those not accustomed to it. Usually, open-minded folks, world-travel types, and those without preconceptions or prejudices usually find the folks in Jamaica to be among the friendliest and most interesting in all the islands...but some may still have had a bad experience or a bad trip which has tainted their view.

Either way, if you take a tour or trip that takes you away from the ship, you'll find the hard-sell types fade away and the laid-back and friendly Jamaica reveals itself. Head over to Goldeneye, Ian Fleming's gorgeous estate...take a trip over to Orcabessa nearby. Head to Dunn's River, but expect that when you get off the falls, the sales people will be there waiting. Head up into the Blue Mountain ridge, and enjoy the beautiful mountains and lush tropics and beautiful rivers. Find small side-of-the-road jerk shacks to eat at. It can be a wonderful island.

if you do stay in town, and deal with the sales pitches and hounders...do so with respect and you'll usually get respect back. Do it with fear or rudeness or disgust, and you tend to enforce that attitude towards you. If you need a tour bus there, ask for Chris Wilson, a buddy of mine for 23 years who drives a minibus...he's a good guy...or his father, 'Old Man' Wilson who still drives a smaller van and has been doing it for over 30 years.

I'd take that cruise if I were looking for a short 3-5 day itinerary. But it's all up to what you are looking for - if you want more days at the tropical beaches and party bars with other fellow cruise passengers and less cultural experience, stick with the rich English islands like Cayman or the private islands like Labadee or Coco Cay; if you want to see and experience different places, cultures, and experience natural or historical landmarks or settings different from what you get at home, then try delving a little deeper into places like Mexico, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, or the southern Caribbean islands.

That would be my suggestion!

I love Jamaica, mon! Dunn's River Falls is beautiful. Margaritaville is fun. You can swim from their beach access or snorkel. My goal is to travel to all the Margaritavilles - thank you Jimmy Buffett for putting them in such nice places!:D

I think that Haiti and Jamaica are so beautiful that I would like to retire there. I agree with zackiedawg’s assessment. Be careful, but enjoy yourself. Many years ago, I went to Haiti and loved it. I hired a teen and he helped me feel safer. I haven’t ever seen anybody do that in Jamaica, but I would try it if I wanted to get into the local scene.

Labadee is the best!! You will enjoy being there. I love going to Jamaica and Ocho Rios is one of my favorite spots. I don't do the Margaritaville thing--to much like being at home. I do, however, enjoy the area right next too it--you have to cross a creek to get to it. I like to enjoy the culture when I'm on these islands. Why go to Margaritaville when I can go next door and get some of the best fish, lobster, rice and peas and a nice cold Red Strip beer. Plus I like talking to the natives. They always know more about our country than we know about theirs. It's always a great learning experience.

Zackiedawg pretty much said it all. No need to re-state it all here.

I love Jamaica... and Ocho... and Dunn's River Falls.

I think very little of Labadee. I don't go on cruises to go to the beach. I can walk down the street and do that. If you are not looking for a day at the beach Labadee may provide a couple of hours, at the most, of exploring for you to do. It is not what you typically expect when you call something a "port of call".

Thanks SO much for all the responses! I think you guys did not notice I live in the Southern Caribbean, Trinidad to be exact. I have also been on the Adventure so I know all that there is to do on a Voyager class ship!

Thanks SO much for all the responses! I think you guys did not notice I live in the Southern Caribbean, Trinidad to be exact. I have also been on the Adventure so I know all that there is to do on a Voyager class ship!

When I was on Serenade the Windjammer hostess was from Trinidad. Who would have thought that she could make the Windjammer such a special place. Because of her I left that cruise with such good feelings about Trinidad... and I've never even been there!!

Ocean Boy I too met many people from Trinidad on Adventure of the Seas; the cruise ships recruit on the island and two of my cousins worked for Royal Caribbean in the past.

Glad to know that the hostess gave you some of the Trini hospitality that we are known for :)

If you like fresh seafood and cold beer, walk beyond Island Village, ask the ticket lady for directions to Lobster Daves. Down the road a short walk and across a stream from the flashy M'Ville. Just an open stand with great food. Very Jamaican, very friendly and the local folks respect tourists who come seeking a real island experience... Ask Lobster Dave to throw a couple on the barbie, enjoy a time you will remember.

LL

Syndi...I forgot to look at where you're from - I just was seeing so much negative about Jamaica, I wanted to at least show that there are many who love the place too.

Hey...on my last cruise, I brought along 3 books from a writer named Jack Stewart - he's a yachtie who lives in Trinidad and bases his books in Trinidad and throughout the Caribbean. Fun books to read, and it reveals a little insight to the Trini culture and flavor! Have you ever heard of him?

I am booked on the May 4 sailing. I am taking it as a get-away. As someone else mentioned, Ocho Rios is so-so. Margaritaville is fun (Those Margaritaville pictures someone else posted are from the Grand Cayman one, not Ocho Rios - but they are similar)

The trip has two sea days and Labadee, which is gorgeous. If you are looking to just get-away and relax, this is perfect. There is plenty to do on the Explorer.

We are booked on May 4th as well !! Come join our 2 person roll call haha ! (link below )

We booked this cruise mainly for ship time and relaxation. We are taking my daughter and son in law on their first cruise, and we figured just experiencing the boat will be great for them !

Labadee is great. Nice beach. We did the jet skis there in Sept and had a blast. Great lunch on the beach.

This will be our first time to Ochos Rios , but we are mainly going for the boat.

I would love this itinerary. We always enjoy Labadee, as others have said - it is an excellent beach day with plenty of water activities. I guess I'm one of the few that think Jamaica is a very worthwhile port. Island village is great and if you pick the right excursion you will get a chance to explore some of the natural beauty of the island. We've done the mountain biking a couple of times and had an excellent time, went to Dunn's River falls once. Most people's opinion of Jamaica is based on the direct port area or the walk from the port to Ocho Rios shopping. This can be a guantlet of islanders trying to sell you things legal and illegal. If you pick an activity that gets you beyond this, you'll have a much different opinion of Jamaica.

zackiedawg I have never heard of that author but will look him up!

sdear I am close to making up mind, if I do then it will be 4 people on your roll call :)

kviolasr I have an open mind about Jamaica though it isn't a port I would readily choose simply because I prefer somewhere a bit different from where I live and I am not really interested in climbing Dunns River Falls. I don't even visit the rivers and waterfalls here! But I do know there are several recommended tour guides on the ports of call forum.

I think very little of Labadee. I don't go on cruises to go to the beach. I can walk down the street and do that.

Hey, Ocean Boy. I love your RI beaches (Naragansett), but not quite the same as a Caribbean beach...just a tad warmer down in the Caribbean. We have great beaches here on LI also (I'm 5 minutes from the ocean), but I love the Caribbean.

Also - I go to Naragansett in the summer (and enjoy my beaches at home in the summer). In February, when I need the beach, Labadee sounds like it will be perfect!

Well, I do love the beach ,too. But there is way too much to do visiting the Caribbean islands for me to spend my time doing what I can do at home. And by the way, I love our New England beaches in February. One just has to wear a few more clothes that time of year!

Personally, I am not a huge fan of Jamaica, either. DH and DD had a blast on the zip line tour, though. I absolutely LOVED Labadee. It was such an unexpected treasure. I would so love to go back there.... One day was not enough :(

Archived