Oosterdam repair saga continues

DAllenTCY

Riz; Richard,

We too are on the Dec. 2nd cruise and I'm a bit nervous if Cabo is a short stay. My DH and I are taking my sister for her 60th and she wants to go to Cabo Wabo to get some gifts for my nephew and his family. My DH and I have never been there (this is our 3rd trip through Cabo) and just hope there's enough time to get there and back to the ship. I personally can't see getting up that early to go to a port. Hopefully all we'll need is an hour to get to the joint, by gifts and head back to the ship.

TMFC (too much fun club)

Nan

Hi Nan, even with four hours in Cabo, you will have no problem taking a rountrip to Cabo Wabo. Just grab a cab on the pier and you'll be fine! Have a great cruise!

Riz; Richard,

We too are on the Dec. 2nd cruise and I'm a bit nervous if Cabo is a short stay. My DH and I are taking my sister for her 60th and she wants to go to Cabo Wabo to get some gifts for my nephew and his family. My DH and I have never been there (this is our 3rd trip through Cabo) and just hope there's enough time to get there and back to the ship. I personally can't see getting up that early to go to a port. Hopefully all we'll need is an hour to get to the joint, by gifts and head back to the ship.

TMFC (too much fun club)

Nan

Nan,

An hour is more than enough time, the gift shop is in the front area so it's just in and out! I hope you end up with more time than that though, I really enjoy Cabo.

If the time in port is so early - yes the gift store opens at 9am according to the link provided by the other poster - but the bar doesn't open until 11am. Not much time if you have to be back on the ship at Noon.

Would like a little more time in Cabo than 4 hours - or better yet - maybe the afternoon versus the morning?

If the time in port is so early - yes the gift store opens at 9am according to the link provided by the other poster - but the bar doesn't open until 11am. Not much time if you have to be back on the ship at Noon.

Would like a little more time in Cabo than 4 hours - or better yet - maybe the afternoon versus the morning?

Port times are in flux it seems.....since the pod failure it was afternoon Cabo....now its morning. Who knows whats next.

Since I've never been to any of these ports of call, and I'm hearing about possible shortening of time at ports I'm just wondering which of the 3 (Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta) is really THE one which attracts most guests to book this itinerary, and would be the biggest let down if missed or shortened.

Since I've never been to any of these ports of call, and I'm hearing about possible shortening of time at ports I'm just wondering which of the 3 (Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta) is really THE one which attracts most guests to book this itinerary, and would be the biggest let down if missed or shortened.

Would be VERY disappointed if we missed Puerto Vallarta.

This is an email from my TA.....

/us']}};YAHOO.Shortcuts.overlaySpaceId = "97546169";YAHOO.Shortcuts.hostSpaceId = "97546168";

Mr. Landry,

I have forward this to my supervisor today to make them aware of the situation and also to send a copy of this email to Holland America Sales Representation. As of today 20November we have receive a response thru phone with our cruise representative they have advice us that there have been a lot of meeting in the past couple of weeks in regards to the status of the ship. They are fully aware of our clients concerns and they will have to keep us posted as soon as they have a definite answer in regards to the situation before January 2007. They themselves wanted to get the same response as well being Holland have a lot of groups on board that is waiting for the same answer. I will surely keep you posted as soon as they have given me the information.

Thanks

AAA Cruise and Vacation Center

Tel no.866-907-2272 ext. 6817

Fax no. 714-850-6842

Sent: Friday, November 17, 2006 3:19 PM

To: Scharf.Imelda

Subject: RE: Cruise QUOTE Jan 6, 2007

Imelda,

Below is a copy of the letter that is being given out on the Oosterdam at this time. I am concerned that they are waiting until you are on the ship to let the passagengers know this info. I know they ask that people do tours thru them to ensure no problems. However if they know in advance of a problem and allow people to make these kinds of reservations then I see that as a kind of fraud. If I didn't do my own research and have access to this when would I be finding out about this situation?

And this is the letter that appears in the cabins.

November 18, 2006

Dear Guest:

Welcome aboard the ms Oosterdam. We would like to take this opportunity to extend our greetings, and to explain a mechanical situation that will affect our itinerary.

On the ms Oosterdam and, in fact, on most modern passenger ships, there are not conventional rudders and propeller shafts attached to engines. Instead we have what are called azipods. They look like very large outboard motors below the water line at the stern of the vessel. Inside of them are large electric motors, which transfer the power from our diesel generators to our propellers and thus move us forward. They also act as rudders. We have a port and a starboard azipod.

During a recent voyage, the port azipod was damaged and will not be available for our cruise. While repairs are in progress, they are not yet completed. Operating with the single azipod does not create a safety issue. In fact, most ships in the world have only one propulsion motor. The U.S. Coast Guard and the Netherlands Shipping Inspectorate have been fully advised as to the situation.

The one consequence of operating with a single azipod is that our normal speed is reduced from approximately 21 knots to 18 knots. We plan to call at each of our scheduled ports; the impact of the slower speeds will be shorter stays in Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta. The revised times are:

Port Arrive Depart

Monday, October 23 Cabo San Lucas Noon 6:00pm

Tuesday, October 24 Mazatlan 8:00am 6:00pm

Wednesday, October 25 Puerto Vallarta 8:00am 7:00pm

We expect to be able to reschedule all of the morning shore excursions in Cabo San Lucas to afternoon; some morning tours in Puerto Vallarta will also be rescheduled. The shore excursion vouchers you have received already reflect the revised times. There is one evening tour in Puerto Vallarta that we will not be able to operate. Guests who have purchased that tour will see a credit on their onboard account.

As we recognize that any change in our scheduled itinerary can be disappointing, we will be providing every guest with a $25 shipboard credit, to be reflected on your onboard account. At Holland America Line, the safety and comfort of our guests and crew is our top priority. On behalf of the officers and crew of the ms Oosterdam, we thank you for your patience and understanding and look forward to providing you with a wonderful cruise to Mexico.

Best regards,

Captain Olav van der Waard

Master, ms Oosterdam

Here is the next response I got from her....

Mr. Landry,

The most updated information that I have receive from Holland America as of today. According to our sales representative that Oosterdam will be on schedule to be on dry dock on April 2007 so they could fully fix the problem before heading for Alaska.

Thanks

Imelda D. Scharf

Travel Agent

AAA Cruise and Vacation Center

Tel no.866-907-2272 ext. 6817

Fax no. 714-850-6842

Cabo is my favorite. I do love PV, but I'd rather stay a week in Cabo than a week in PV. I'm very disappointed our cruise will most likely, unless something amazing suddenly happens on the azi-repair front, have a shorter day (like most other cruiselines.) What I was looking forward to on HAL was the full day in Cabo instead of half a day. :(

However, half a day is better than no day in Cabo!:D

Mazatlan is my least favorite of the three.

I have to agree with bardgal... I love Cabo! I'll be really bummed if our port time is cut down, which it looks like will likely happen on our December cruise. :(

I'm one of those who really likes to take full advantage of the ports. I know Cabo well, and have lots of things I would like to get in. PV and Mazatlan as well (including some golf with my dad and other stuff).

I still hold out a slight hope that they'll either fix things, or find ways to maximize the port times...

Here is the next response I got from her....

Mr. Landry,

The most updated information that I have receive from Holland America as of today. According to our sales representative that Oosterdam will be on schedule to be on dry dock on April 2007 so they could fully fix the problem before heading for Alaska.

Thanks

San Diego Single - thanks for the update from your TA. Seems like this confirms some of the earlier posts that the repairs will happen in April. Disappointing they couldn't fix it earlier without having to dry dock. Hopefully all the cruises until April will go smoothly.

Received this bit of info from a reliable contact today:

Oosterdam's final Mexican Riviera cruise (21-28 APR 07) as well as her repositioning cruise north to Seattle (28 Apr-02 May 07) will be cancelled. She will go into dry dock during that period, more than likely back in Victoria, BC, in order to get her port-side azipod repaired.

We plan to call at each of our scheduled ports; the impact of the slower speeds will be shorter stays in Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta. The revised times are:

Port Arrive Depart

Monday, October 23 Cabo San Lucas Noon 6:00pm

Tuesday, October 24 Mazatlan 8:00am 6:00pm

Wednesday, October 25 Puerto Vallarta 8:00am 7:00pm

Even if these port times are shortened, they sure are longer than most port times in the Caribbean !!! ;)

Received this bit of info from a reliable contact today:

Oosterdam's final Mexican Riviera cruise (21-28 APR 07) as well as her repositioning cruise north to Seattle (28 Apr-02 May 07) will be cancelled. She will go into dry dock during that period, more than likely back in Victoria, BC, in order to get her port-side azipod repaired.

I sort of figured that'd be the case. Have you heard anything with regards to the Oosterdam's 3-day Pacific Northwest cruise that's scheduled to depart Vancouver on the evening of May 2nd?

I sort of figured that'd be the case. Have you heard anything with regards to the Oosterdam's 3-day Pacific Northwest cruise that's scheduled to depart Vancouver on the evening of May 2nd?

Evening Aaron, the info I received only listed those two cruises as being cancelled so I'd imagine and, barring unexpected problems with the repair job, that 02 MAY three-day Pacific Coast cruise is still a go.

Evening Aaron, the info I received only listed those two cruises as being cancelled so I'd imagine and, barring unexpected problems with the repair job, that 02 MAY three-day Pacific Coast cruise is still a go.

Awesome, thanks for that info John.

This is the same information I've had also, just the two cruises - not expected to impact anything more than that.

Well, it sounds like we now know, thanks to the informed contributors here, that there is an April drydock planned.

I just hope that HAL continues to try their very best to fix it in the meantime. I would expect that is the case, rather than just giving up until April. The fact that they did put the prop back on was encouraging, even though it failed the first trial. I guess the prop is still on at this point (windmilling?). Maybe some further tweaking will get it spinning properly again until it can be looked at closer in April. It might be wishful thinking, but I just hope the efforts on ongoing, and that maybe those of us with these winter cruises will get lucky and have the nice balanced wake, full speed and un-shortened port times. I'm sure the current passengers and future ones will keep us all posted. Only time will tell I suppose...! :)

I second that! Miss Cabo and all you miss is an extension of Southern California....miss PV and you miss Mexico.

I agree, Cabo is very americanized.....to some that is a plus making them feel more comfortable.

But I can understand why some would like Cabo the most.....much more of a party town. Just not a party guy here, so like other ports better. I do love sailing into beautiful Cabo harbour, but may consider staying on the ship that day and enjoy my balcony.

I have a zipline planned in PV, so would be disappointed if that didn't happen.

Archived