Oosterdam repair saga continues

DAllenTCY

Cooper 10-8

In reply to your statement about cancelling and selecting another date/ship, we are scheduled to go on the Dec. 2 cruise so at this late date do not have that option.

I am not in a frenzy about what is to be, just was adding to the banter in regard to the pod problem.

Barbara

Cooper 10-8

In reply to your statement about cancelling and selecting another date/ship, we are scheduled to go on the Dec. 2 cruise so at this late date do not have that option.

I am not in a frenzy about what is to be, just was adding to the banter in regard to the pod problem.

Barbara

barbon2 I agree with you. I am on the 12/16 cruise and have no intention of changing plans, however it is nice to be able to bounce thoughts and ideas off others who are also in this same boat (no pun intended). It is great to be able to do so!

Heavenly what was confirmed to you by 4 HAL reps?

My bad, sorry! That was in response to the post I'll quote below...

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavenly

"Pod Situation" is probably my term, those two closed sailings are due to the pod, no doubt about that.

Ok.....was just wondering if HAL was publicy aknowledging the "pod problem".....other than by letters in the staterooms."

Just got back. Condensed version of Cruise Log below.

11/11

7:42PM Vessel undocked

10:20PM Crossed US/Mexico Border

11/12 At Sea

11/13 At Sea

11/14 P-Vallarta

7:30AM Vessel at anchor

7:03PM Last tender leaves shore side

9:06PM Anchor aweigh

11/15 Mazatlan

8:33AM Safely docked

5:52PM Undocked

11/16 Cabo San Lucas

6:45AM Let go anchor

12:24PM Anchor aweigh

11/17 At sea

11/18 San Diego

3:20AM Crossed Mexico/US Border

7:30AM Safely docked

SD to PVallarta 18.0 knots average speed

PVallarta to Mazatlan 17.5 knots average speed

Mazatlan to Cabo 17.0 knots average speed

Cabo to SD 18.0 knots average speed

When we took off on evening of 11/11, both pods were definitely functioning. Captain said he would be doing speed tests throughout the night. Sometime during that night the repaired pod failed again.

In my opinion only disappointment was shortened stay in Cabo. But shortened stay = less time for wife to to spend $$ on shore.

When underway, obvious vibration in lower Vista Dining Room, but got used to it.

Entertainment - Joel Mason who is Elton John impersonator was excellent. Julie Barr, comedian was a hoot. Johnny Cash the bingo guy made what would normally be a boring game, into a fun game.

Barbon2 and Ducktune, I am on the 12/30 Oosterdam cruise and have no intention of cancelling either. What I said was that I don't believe that any of the remaining Oosterdam cruises for 2006 are in danger of being cancelled. Have a great cruise!

Barbon2 and Ducktune, I am on the 12/30 Oosterdam cruise and have no intention of cancelling either. What I said was that I don't believe that any of the remaining Oosterdam cruises for 2006 are in danger of being cancelled. Have a great cruise!

John, nice drydock photo. Thanks for trying to reduce thw wild speculations here. One thing that I thought was interesting was that prior to the pod failing they did notice slightly elevated temperatures in the pod but nothing that set off alarms. Nothing until the big meltdown at 645am PST on 10/8. It may very well be coincidental that the failure was after the drydock servicing. However it is also strange that the windings melted and failed without some thermal alarm prior to that actual failure

Here it is pulling out. If you hold up a piece of wax paper to your screen, it creates a super-duper X-ray view of the pods. Look!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

OMG I just hurt myself laughing!

Thanks for that Brian!

:D

That's a good sign.:)

I'd agree... wonder if it was a single wake or a double as she left today...

Now that is was mentioned- yep, that definitely was the refueling I saw this morning at the docks. So I guess they didn't take the prop back off. Bueno!

Man, if they do fix it, what will I do with all the time I spend checking on the status!? hehe.

Just got back. Condensed version of Cruise Log below.

11/11

7:42PM Vessel undocked

10:20PM Crossed US/Mexico Border

11/12 At Sea

11/13 At Sea

11/14 P-Vallarta

7:30AM Vessel at anchor

7:03PM Last tender leaves shore side

9:06PM Anchor aweigh

11/15 Mazatlan

8:33AM Safely docked

5:52PM Undocked

11/16 Cabo San Lucas

6:45AM Let go anchor

12:24PM Anchor aweigh

11/17 At sea

11/18 San Diego

3:20AM Crossed Mexico/US Border

7:30AM Safely docked

SD to PVallarta 18.0 knots average speed

PVallarta to Mazatlan 17.5 knots average speed

Mazatlan to Cabo 17.0 knots average speed

Cabo to SD 18.0 knots average speed

When we took off on evening of 11/11, both pods were definitely functioning. Captain said he would be doing speed tests throughout the night. Sometime during that night the repaired pod failed again.

In my opinion only disappointment was shortened stay in Cabo. But shortened stay = less time for wife to to spend $$ on shore.

When underway, obvious vibration in lower Vista Dining Room, but got used to it.

Entertainment - Joel Mason who is Elton John impersonator was excellent. Julie Barr, comedian was a hoot. Johnny Cash the bingo guy made what would normally be a boring game, into a fun game.

Cruiz4....thanks for the detailed log. Did your cruise docs say Puerto as your first port or was this a change in the itinerary?

If you didn't get off the ship very early in Cabo, you had a very short time there. Did you get off early? Were the shops open?

I returned yesterday. There were several things that happened. Yes we left Late. Trying for final fixes on azipod. Then, there were to be time trials, per Captain. They failed so all of the schedules were once again changed. We did PV first MAZ second and had 4 hrs in Cabo from 8am to noon. There were several periods of time that we were just sitting still in the water. Aside from this and a very cranky , bossy, spoiled and selfish roomie(co-worker), The cruise was great. Who cares about a few inconveniences when you are on the ocean in a fun filled vessel. I recieved my red 50 day pin.The Mariners reception was lovely. There is always something that can compensate for any of life's little foibles. Just think, you could all be sitting home wishing you were anywhere else than where you are. Smile and make the best of your situations. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. Take a deep breath of the gorgeous ocean breezes and thank your maker for another day. I love this line from one of my favorite songs. "SAIL ON, SAIL ON SAILORS".:)

I returned yesterday. There were several things that happened. Yes we left Late. Trying for final fixes on azipod. Then, there were to be time trials, per Captain. They failed so all of the schedules were once again changed. We did PV first MAZ second and had 4 hrs in Cabo from 8am to noon. There were several periods of time that we were just sitting still in the water. Aside from this and a very cranky , bossy, spoiled and selfish roomie(co-worker), The cruise was great. Who cares about a few inconveniences when you are on the ocean in a fun filled vessel. I recieved my red 50 day pin.The Mariners reception was lovely. There is always something that can compensate for any of life's little foibles. Just think, you could all be sitting home wishing you were anywhere else than where you are. Smile and make the best of your situations. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. Take a deep breath of the gorgeous ocean breezes and thank your maker for another day. I love this line from one of my favorite songs. "SAIL ON, SAIL ON SAILORS".:)

Happy to hear you enjoyed your cruise.:)

The Oosterdam's schedule changes meant it was in each port with the Diamond Princess. DD and I spent much time admiring the Oosterdam from a distance and wishing we were on a HAL ship. (Our excuse: We were on a group genealogy cruise.)

Thanks LoboJ I enjoyed the pictures. Plan to sail 12/9 and we are sure all will be well. If they plan to drydock the ship at the last minute hopefully HAL will follow suit like Celebrity and give all monies back and give us all a free trip. How great is that? I am sure we all can quickly plan something else to do with a weeks vacation. I have learned in my 64 years that no sense in worrying over what may happen, enjoy the day!!!! Happy sailing.

Let me start by saying that yes in fact this is my first post. I have been on ther boards for a few years but haver never posted anything until now. I hope what I know can help those that are stressing out about future sailings.

I will be sailing on the Oosterdam on Dec 2. I have been in close contact with Holland America for a few weeks now with regards to this pod problem. Thanks to these boards or I would have had no idea of the current situation.

I am working on this cruise as I have the past few years. We as a team are a security detail for a client who has been sailing on Holland America quite frequently. This is something we do co-ordinate with ship security prioe to sailing and ongoing thruout the cruise. Most importantly is the planning of port days and arranging cars and checking through plans as necessary.

Which brings me to my reason for posting. I have noticed a number of people from this sailing worried about port days and whether the cruise will actually go. I do know that the cruise is on regardless - what Holland America cannot tell me is the plans for times and days for stops in all three ports. With the pod problem they are making decisions as they go - basically the morning of boarding and are taking into consideration different factors for each sailing. Weather, ship performance, time and availability of each port and other ship schedules.

Thus - most of us who are in fact sailing in the next few weeks will not get a definite answer on itineray until we board. For us this creates a bit of a security headache but also my family who has also chosen to do this sailing - they cannot plan ahead for non-line shore excursions.

We definately WILL be making all 3 stops but as to times and days they are not clear at this point.

I will say the the line has been very forthcoming with me and have stayed in touched with updates as planning ahead is a huge part of doing the job we are payeed for. If I have any more information that I feel woulf be helpful I will post.

Let me start by saying that yes in fact this is my first post. I have been on ther boards for a few years but haver never posted anything until now. I hope what I know can help those that are stressing out about future sailings.

I will be sailing on the Oosterdam on Dec 2. I have been in close contact with Holland America for a few weeks now with regards to this pod problem. Thanks to these boards or I would have had no idea of the current situation.

I am working on this cruise as I have the past few years. We as a team are a security detail for a client who has been sailing on Holland America quite frequently. This is something we do co-ordinate with ship security prioe to sailing and ongoing thruout the cruise. Most importantly is the planning of port days and arranging cars and checking through plans as necessary.

Which brings me to my reason for posting. I have noticed a number of people from this sailing worried about port days and whether the cruise will actually go. I do know that the cruise is on regardless - what Holland America cannot tell me is the plans for times and days for stops in all three ports. With the pod problem they are making decisions as they go - basically the morning of boarding and are taking into consideration different factors for each sailing. Weather, ship performance, time and availability of each port and other ship schedules.

Thus - most of us who are in fact sailing in the next few weeks will not get a definite answer on itineray until we board. For us this creates a bit of a security headache but also my family who has also chosen to do this sailing - they cannot plan ahead for non-line shore excursions.

We definately WILL be making all 3 stops but as to times and days they are not clear at this point.

I will say the the line has been very forthcoming with me and have stayed in touched with updates as planning ahead is a huge part of doing the job we are payeed for. If I have any more information that I feel woulf be helpful I will post.

Thank you for information Richard. We are on the week prior, so I will assume it is the same for the 11/25 sailing.

The Oosterdam's schedule changes meant it was in each port with the Diamond Princess. DD and I spent much time admiring the Oosterdam from a distance and wishing we were on a HAL ship. (Our excuse: We were on a group genealogy cruise.)

Jemima, we sailed the Diamond and loved it!! We are doing HAL again for this cruise, but I would love to sail Diamond again. I loved the variety of the restaurants.

With the pod problem they are making decisions as they go - basically the morning of boarding and are taking into consideration different factors for each sailing. Weather, ship performance, time and availability of each port and other ship schedules.

Richard,

Start searching for info 3-4 days out from the sailing, we were faxed the info for our group that sailed on 10/21 at about that point. I know the kind of headache you have right now, we do the travel for few entertainment types... Good Luck!

Riz; Richard,

We too are on the Dec. 2nd cruise and I'm a bit nervous if Cabo is a short stay. My DH and I are taking my sister for her 60th and she wants to go to Cabo Wabo to get some gifts for my nephew and his family. My DH and I have never been there (this is our 3rd trip through Cabo) and just hope there's enough time to get there and back to the ship. I personally can't see getting up that early to go to a port. Hopefully all we'll need is an hour to get to the joint, by gifts and head back to the ship.

TMFC (too much fun club)

Nan

Archived