Oosterdam repair saga continues

DAllenTCY

Harley22 - good point. In fact, it seems the Oosterdam has had several charters lately.

I agree - Heavenly - can you share the date with the rest of us?

I really don't want to be responsible for giving an exact date since it could change... It is around repositioning though and it is not 4/14.... That should be close enough for most to figure it out... Just remember Alaska is their bread and butter, they will not risk that itinerary...

oooophs!!! I didn't mean to change subject on this important topic--I skipped the last couple of pages. Sorry folks.

Hmm.... well, it looks like many of us are going to have to deal with a ship with one engine! I would have thought HAL would try to get this thing fixed(via dry dock)than going with a non-working asipod for weeks....but there are so many people booked for cruises and no one wants to be on the one that's cancelled.

Looks like Carnival has some positive experience under their belts in fixing the pods in that the QM2's pod is now repaired and she is once again sailing under full power. She left Hamburg earlier than expected after being dry docked to replace the pod. Maybe this will help with some critcial decisions with the Oosterdam.

Yesterday, I asked my travel agent to see if she could find out something about the O's problems, and she hasn't gotten back to me yet. I assume HAL hasn't gotten back to her yet (she emailed them a copy of my email of probllems I have been reading on the boards). I will post her reply when I get it.

With hurricane Sergio visiting the Mexican coastline, I am anticipating a bit of choppiness at sea.

I wonder if having 1 Azipod, rather than 2 impacts the smoothness of the ride? Anyone know? I know they have the stablizers, but wonder if there is a inbalance of thrust/pull issue with one rather than 2? We are on the aft this cruise, so expect it to be a bit more rocky than normal.

RE: the question about stability - We have been in cabin 6157 on the current cruise on the starboard side of the ship and last night in particular there was a lot of vibration - We went to the front desk about it and they switched us for last night to room 4101 where it was very stable. The girl at the front desk mentioned they have had a number of complaints about the vibration last night. She said the captain was trying to get to 22 knots and that many people had complained because of it. (I have had back surgery and the vibration was bad enough that I was wearing a back brace in bed in room 6157). So if you want more stability, you may want to switch to a room on the port side or more forward if rooms are available on your cruise.

Pat

RE: the question about stability - We have been in cabin 6157 on the current cruise on the starboard side of the ship and last night in particular there was a lot of vibration - We went to the front desk about it and they switched us for last night to room 4101 where it was very stable. The girl at the front desk mentioned they have had a number of complaints about the vibration last night. She said the captain was trying to get to 22 knots and that many people had complained because of it. (I have had back surgery and the vibration was bad enough that I was wearing a back brace in bed in room 6157). So if you want more stability, you may want to switch to a room on the port side or more forward if rooms are available on your cruise.

Pat

Thanks for info Pat. We are in 6156, so this should be interesting!! Did you notice it when he was going the lower 19 knots?

pritsic,

I'm sorry your cruise has been less than the best. I was watching the Oosterdam leave on Sat., cheering the fact that the problem had been fixed. Other than the fact you couldn't sleep last night, how has your cruise been so far? What times were you in Cabo? Did the captain give any reason why he had raised the speed to 22 knots? I hope you are managing to have a good time in spite of the pod problems.

Our cabin is on the port side for our Dec. 2 cruise so hopefully we won't have all that vibration.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it's still a go.

Lynne

Have just read on this site that Celebritiy has cancelled the Dec. 10 sailing of the Millenium due to a pod problem. Looks like they gave their pax a little over 3 weeks notice. For those of us who are on the Oosterdam on Dec 2, I hope HAL would have informed us by now. It seems that Celebrity gave a little over 3 weeks notice which to me is not much time, so let's go with the hope that HAL will not drydock us with just 2 weeks to go. I guess we will have a little more info tomorrow when she docs in San Diego.

Barbara

Have just read on this site that Celebritiy has cancelled the Dec. 10 sailing of the Millenium due to a pod problem. Looks like they gave their pax a little over 3 weeks notice. For those of us who are on the Oosterdam on Dec 2, I hope HAL would have informed us by now. It seems that Celebrity gave a little over 3 weeks notice which to me is not much time, so let's go with the hope that HAL will not drydock us with just 2 weeks to go. I guess we will have a little more info tomorrow when she docs in San Diego.

Barbara

Celebrity has had ongoing problems with their pods. It's always a bearing problem. the have spares and know just what to do to get it fixed and back online in the least amount of time. Because they have spare bearings available, they can determine a time and place to fix it quite readily.

HAL cannot do that. This is a unique failure. There are no parts sitting on the shelf somewhere that can be sent out immediately. That is why they are desparately trying to make temporary repairs, and apparently thought they had that accomplished this week, but it didn't work. Now, the question is... do they have something else they can try or will they pull the prop back off on Saturday and run on one pod until all parts needed can be manufactured and sent to a drydock. They may not even have firm dates on when those parts can be available.

There's not much anyone can do but go with the flow. HAL has been less than forthcoming with accurate information for future passengers, but they probably thought that they would be in good shape to continue and even getback on schedule with the onboard repairs. Now, they have to look at their options again, but there are probably still a lot of "what if" situations to consider.

The following is the correspondence my TA sent me. I have erased her name and company in accordance with the rules of the board.

When I call I get the res agents who really do not have any knowledge of whats going on with the ships.

I will send another email to Richard Simms in hopes of getting a response

Thanks,

-----Original Message-----

From: Kennedy, Margaret (HAL) [mailto:MKennedy@HollandAmerica.com]

Sent: Friday, November 17, 2006 1:30 PM

To:

Cc: Sims, Richard (HAL)

Subject: FW: Oosterdam Future Sailings

Importance: High

Sent: Friday, November 17, 2006 10:27 AM

To: Kennedy, Margaret (HAL)

Thanks Much

Frankie Vondall

Holland America Line

x7453

CVondall@HollandAmerica.com

Sent: Friday, November 17, 2006 12:12 PM

To: Vondall, Chalene (HAL)

So you can advise no safety concerns, but due to the repair not fully

completed, a couple of shorter port calls.

Thanks!

Sent: Friday, November 17, 2006 12:09 PM

To: Dalesandro, Olivia (HAL); Denizli, Ali Burak (HAL); Hartwig, LeAnn

(HAL); McKinney, Michael (HAL); McQuillan, Katie (HAL); Melberg, Mitch

(HAL); Mickolio, Karlyne (HAL); Mitsui, Laurie (HAL); Robinson, Maryann

(HAL); Rousell, Shirley (HAL); Ricker, Stephen (HAL); Wagner, Jen (HAL)

OS repairs are underway. There are no cancelled sailings.

Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 9:44 PM

To: Desharnais, Patty (HAL)

Cc: Oakland, Christy (HAL); Hon, Rob (HAL); Potts, Joe (HAL); Nickerson,

Stacy (HAL); Tonks, Kristen (HAL); Sisk, Michele (HAL); Meadows, Rick

(HAL)

For my in tray.

Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 9:17 PM

To: OSDM-Master (HAL); OSDM-Hotel Manager (HAL)

Cc: Grausz, Dan (HAL); Groothuizen, Johan (HAL); Vierra, Brendan (HAL);

Behan, Todd (HAL); Goodwin, Paul (HAL); Sharp, Bill (HAL); Lynch, Ellen

(HAL)

Olav and James

Attached is the letter which needs to be placed in all guest cabins at

embarkation on Saturday.

I have corrected the date.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks

Steve

Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 5:44 PM

To: Kirsch, Steve (HAL)

And this is the letter that appears in the cabins.

November 18, 2006

Dear Guest:

Welcome aboard the ms Oosterdam. We would like to take this opportunity to extend our greetings, and to explain a mechanical situation that will affect our itinerary.

On the ms Oosterdam and, in fact, on most modern passenger ships, there are not conventional rudders and propeller shafts attached to engines. Instead we have what are called azipods. They look like very large outboard motors below the water line at the stern of the vessel. Inside of them are large electric motors, which transfer the power from our diesel generators to our propellers and thus move us forward. They also act as rudders. We have a port and a starboard azipod.

During a recent voyage, the port azipod was damaged and will not be available for our cruise. While repairs are in progress, they are not yet completed. Operating with the single azipod does not create a safety issue. In fact, most ships in the world have only one propulsion motor. The U.S. Coast Guard and the Netherlands Shipping Inspectorate have been fully advised as to the situation.

The one consequence of operating with a single azipod is that our normal speed is reduced from approximately 21 knots to 18 knots. We plan to call at each of our scheduled ports; the impact of the slower speeds will be shorter stays in Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta. The revised times are:

Port Arrive Depart

Monday, October 23 Cabo San Lucas Noon 6:00pm

Tuesday, October 24 Mazatlan 8:00am 6:00pm

Wednesday, October 25 Puerto Vallarta 8:00am 7:00pm

We expect to be able to reschedule all of the morning shore excursions in Cabo San Lucas to afternoon; some morning tours in Puerto Vallarta will also be rescheduled. The shore excursion vouchers you have received already reflect the revised times. There is one evening tour in Puerto Vallarta that we will not be able to operate. Guests who have purchased that tour will see a credit on their onboard account.

As we recognize that any change in our scheduled itinerary can be disappointing, we will be providing every guest with a $25 shipboard credit, to be reflected on your onboard account. At Holland America Line, the safety and comfort of our guests and crew is our top priority. On behalf of the officers and crew of the ms Oosterdam, we thank you for your patience and understanding and look forward to providing you with a wonderful cruise to Mexico.

Best regards,

Captain Olav van der Waard

Master, ms Oosterdam

So it seems that this is the same story passengers are reporting. We have a port midship cabin. I hope the vibrations aren't too bad.

I really do appreciate the posting of the letter that has been appearing in cabins of the O. As I have said in prior postings, all I have wanted to hear from HAL was straightforward communication and it would have been nice if those of us booked on the O could have been communicated with by HAL. DH and I are scheduled on the Oosterdam four weeks from today and I know how excited all the other non CC passengers who know nothing at all about this problem and are also scheduled on that cruise. I wish I we could be in that state of uninformed bliss! We here at CC have known about this problem since Oct 7 when the azipod situation occurred. I didn't know better upon reading that letter on arrival in my cabin, I would assume it happened within a week or two. The term "recent" is open to interpretation and maybe that is the best way to sooth the majority of passengers who are currently unaware.

I am still looking forward to this cruise and would hope that it is not cancelled. However, with the latest report on the increased vibration on the starboard side coupled with more than usual hurricane activity, I wonder if HAL will be forced to do something sooner rather than later. I understand the lack of available parts and a handy dry dock, however, if the QM2 and Celebrity recognized the need to correct a problem, why doesn't HAL do the same?

Finally, I know that some of the upcoming cruises on the Oosterdam are sold out, so how will passengers in rooms with increased vibration be able to move to other rooms? We have a midship cabin - on the starboard side - so I hope we don't have too much vibration.

To everyone at CC

I want to thank you so much for the continued information concerning the azipod situation. I, too, had a sick feeling in my stomach when I saw that Celebrity cancelled a cruise. I am trying to keep a positive attitude and be 'thankful' during this thankful time of year that I am able to cruise and vacation. I certainly hope that things are repaired for our Dec. 2 cruise, but am not very optimistic with 2 weeks to go from tomorrow. It was nice to see verbatim the letter placed in staterooms. And while, I am selfishly worrying about my trip, I too understand that HAL is trying to selfishly worry about themselves. I know I prefer to operate under the theory of "it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission!"

HUM, it is the port azipod, but the starboard side is reporting the vibration?

Thanks so much for posting the information. I am relieved to see our swim with the dolphins will be rescheduled to the afternoon, and not cancelled in cabo.

We have one week, and we are ready to go!!;)

At this point I do not mind shortened port times, however, would be upset if the cruise was cancelled at this late time. (For Dec. 2). Being that the next few weeks and thru the holiday season the ship is sold out, I am sure that HAL will do all that is possible not to cancel until a later date. (Perhaps wishful thinking on my part). The Millennium may have elected the Dec. cruise due to not being booked to capacitiy. We did the Constellation last Dec 9, and it did not sell out right away and was priced much lower then the one for the week after, so maybe they selected that date for that reason. As for the pax who wrote about the vibration on the Oosterdam, this is their first cruise experience and sometimes during certain types of weather, speeds, etc. you do feel excessive vibration on the ship. This could be due to the pod problem or just with the hurricanes in the area. The vibration usually does not bother us (it was extreme in the lower dining room on the Constellation last year and we were not bothered by it.) Our cabin is mid-ship upper vernadah so we should be fine anyway.

Hopefully see you all on Dec. 2.

Barbara

My husband and I are on our first cruise and have been pretty disappointed in what is going on on this ship. We were not notified of any previous problems with the ship prior to boarding (even though we have now heard that the prop problem has been ongoing for 4+weeks) The captain announced on the overhead that they thought they had corrected the problem when we departed (late) but then the next morning another announcement that the port side engine would not be used for the trip. The itinerary has been PV yesterday, Mazatlan today from 9:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m and then tomorrow Cabo (don't remember times) Additionally, we left Mazatlan late last night because of some sort of problem with the crew unable to bring up an anchor. An additional 2 hours in port to get that fixed. Additionally, the tender we took to PV lost all steering power when we were returning to the ship, so we sat drifting for almost 45 min. until the crew was able to sidle up to the side of the ship. All in all, it has been very disconcerting and unnerving for a first time cruiser. In lieu of all the problems we've encountered so far, I question if the starboard engine will get us back to San Diego. The only compensation the captain has offered is a $25 credit on all passenger accounts. Is cruising always this fraught with problems? Thanks for any response......Pat

Not sure why the line would/should state that they had previously had problems w/ the propulsion system if they thought it was repaired...

...and my first cruise on Oosterdam back in 2004, we had an anchor stuck in rocks when we were anchored off Roatan - it sent shudders throughout the ship as they tried to free the anchor for 2-3 hours but thee Captain explained what was going on and certainly didn't affect the enjoyment to be had aboard.*

Things like that could certainly happen anytime - its part of the animal.* The things that concern me most are things that are well within the line's control, such as quality of food, entertainment & service, comfort of facilities, etc - not stuck anchors.

So, what is the part that is malfunctioning? What is an azipod? Is it a stabilizer?

Good luck to those with cruises in the next month, I hope they give proper notice. What would they do for those whose cruise is cancelled?

An Azipod (Azimuthing Pod) is a large electric motor that both rotates and drives a propeller which is attached to the underside of the ship's stern, and acts alot like an outboard motor - providing both propulsion and steering.* It is a replacement for the traditional fixed propeller and rudder arrangement, and provides greater manueverability - ie:* in conjunction with the forward transverse thrusters the ship can move sideways in addition to forward and backward.

Stabilizers are motorized underwater wings that extend from the midship area of the hull and are used to reduce roll (side to side motion) but do very little to reduce the fore-aft rocking motion.

The function of one has nothing to do with the other.

HAL has never been forced to cancel a cruise due to a malfunctioning azipod, although other companies have provided full refunds plus free cruises to folks who have had to cancel due to their recurring Azipod propulsion problems.* My feeling is that HAL will probably end up doing the same.

As for the pax who wrote about the vibration on the Oosterdam, this is their first cruise experience and sometimes during certain types of weather, speeds, etc. you do feel excessive vibration on the ship. This could be due to the pod problem or just with the hurricanes in the area. The vibration usually does not bother us (it was extreme in the lower dining room on the Constellation last year and we were not bothered by it.) Our cabin is mid-ship upper vernadah so we should be fine anyway.

Hopefully see you all on Dec. 2.

Barbara

I certainly felt the vibration on my Oosterdam cruise last year (I was in 4185) during*nights that we were underway at full speed in choppy seas,*but that's just part of the cruising animal.

Archived