U S Air to Buy DELTA?

AFT_LOVER

I had not heard about the Continental- American deal but the U.S. Air- Delta talks are getting a lot of air play today. I tend to doubt that the mergers will end up making things better for passengers, especially in terms of fares and time options.

lead story on cnn.com...after almost falling apart themselves us scare i'm sorry us air must doign pretty good for themselves...they just merged about a yr ago with america west...oh well...as long as they all keep prices in line then things should be ok...

150% so that is good with the bad airline stories with bankruptcies.

Gosh I remember AGONY AIR, turned into U S SCARE who bought AMERICA'S WORST, now it will be DELETE AIR.

lead story on cnn.com...after almost falling apart themselves us scare i'm sorry us air must doign pretty good for themselves...they just merged about a yr ago with america west...oh well...as long as they all keep prices in line then things should be ok...

Can I ask a really dumb question? I will anyway! :)

If all these airlines are merging will there be a point in time when we will start thinking about monopolys? I know there are all kinds of smaller airlines but the bigger ones are just getting bigger it seems.

I work for US Airways, formerly known as America West Airlines, one year ago we merged with US Airways and if we had not merged with them they most likely would have gone under, as they were in bankruptcy. We took on their name because they have global name recognition and we are mostly known in the West. They are calling this a "merger", however, we really took them over. Today it was announced that we (the new US Airways) put in a bid to purchase Delta. As I understand things from what we have been told by management and our union, if this goes through it will be a "hostile takeover".

birdie16 is this good news for you guys or what ever...we use america west out of minneapolis to get to vegas...the hell with northwest...it will always be america west by me...it's a great airline...i hope all works out well...unfortuantly the name us air ment more then america west...too bad...should have kept the name...i hope they got rid of all of the sr management from the old us air that ran it into the ground...bunch of doornobs...

I received an e-mail today from US air saying they were attempting a merger with Delta. However, it's at such an early stage that there is a disclaimer at the end which states: "In addition, should this transaction fail to materialize, please be assured that the new US Airways is in a very good position, competitively and financially, to continue to build the best full-service, low-fare airline in the world."

So, are the US airlines going the way of the Canadian airlines where we only have two left and fares that are ridiculously high?

We always fly from Buffalo to get to the cruiseport we are using because the fares are lot cheaper, well, not so much the fares but the darn taxes are a lot less.

I received an e-mail today from US air saying they were attempting a merger with Delta. However, it's at such an early stage that there is a disclaimer at the end which states: "In addition, should this transaction fail to materialize, please be assured that the new US Airways is in a very good position, competitively and financially, to continue to build the best full-service, low-fare airline in the world."

So, are the US airlines going the way of the Canadian airlines where we only have two left and fares that are ridiculously high?

We always fly from Buffalo to get to the cruiseport we are using because the fares are lot cheaper, well, not so much the fares but the darn taxes are a lot less.

Hopefully the FTC will step in and not allow the airline industry to become like the cruise industry where two companies own 85% of the ships sailing the world today. I for one do not want to see this happen. U.S Air does not exactly have a great track record themselves. Haven't they been in bankruptcy twice??

How do majority of us get to a cruise. We fly! With all the trouble I have had for 2 years with Delta & their lousy Skymiles program, I am ready for them to go bye bye, but I hear their name will be used. But US Scare gets them if they pull out of bankruptdcy & I am going for LIQUIDATION.

Interesting posts about the airlines but.......isn't this the board about cruising?

I am not happy about this news. I a long time Amer West flyer and have many miles to use...the merger with US Air sucked. It took them a year to combine their mileage accounts, systems, etc. It is STILL a hassle when you book your flights as there are still some amwest and still some usair...oh I could go on.....

the biggest difference is the PRICES going up and no mileage flights available except at the top tier levels. It is so frustrating to book anything on mileage with USAir. :rolleyes:

ok...gripe over.....ps...we have to fly them to get to our cruise ports...so very cruise related for us. ;)

150% so that is good with the bad airline stories with bankruptcies.

Gosh I remember AGONY AIR, turned into U S SCARE who bought AMERICA'S WORST, now it will be DELETE AIR.

:D :D :D :D Good one, Brenda!

What do you get when you combine USAir and Delta Airlines?

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

Greyhound!

;)

Well....guess we all have opinions on the airline industry. I personally work for Delta and I can remember when people actually dressed up to fly on an airplane. I can also remember when traveling by air was a luxuary.

So far our CEO has not announced anything to us employees but US Airs intensions. Delta's plan is to come out of reconstruction on it's own. Delta is starting to concentrate on the international market and that's why Us Air might want to merge with Delta.

I guess we'll all have to wait and see....

shan9700:)

Well....guess we all have opinions on the airline industry. I personally work for Delta and I can remember when people actually dressed up to fly on an airplane. I can also remember when traveling by air was a luxuary.

So far our CEO has not announced anything to us employees but US Airs intensions. Delta's plan is to come out of reconstruction on it's own. Delta is starting to concentrate on the international market and that's why Us Air might want to merge with Delta.

I guess we'll all have to wait and see....

shan9700:)

We, too, are a Delta family. I remember all those years of flying when we wore high heels, spouse wore a coat and tie, our children were dressed to the nines and sat in their seat and kept their mouth shut! Ah, those were the days. Delta going bankrupt has saddened me beyond words.

I still don't think a hostile takeover will happen.

One poster asked about the tickets: Regardless of what happens, the tickets we are all holding for a future flights will be just fine. Don't worry needlessly.

Mavismarie,

I don't think a merger will take place. Delta is doing well under reconstruction. This is some informations from our employee site.

This morning, US Airways said it has proposed merging with Delta. Various media outlets are sharing this news.

In response, Jerry Grinstein wants all Delta employees to know:

"We received a letter from U.S. Airways this morning and will of course review it. Delta's plan has always been to emerge from bankruptcy in the first half of 2007 as a strong, stand-alone carrier, Jerry said. Our plan is working and we are proud of the progress Delta people are making to achieve this objective. The Bankruptcy Court has granted Delta the exclusive right to create the plan of reorganization until Feb. 15, 2007. We will continue to move aggressively toward that goal. "

As always we will keep you informed and you can expect additional information on DNN later today.

So keep your fingers crossed.

Shan9700:)

with all the money AMEX has given to Delta to stay afloat & they have the Delta Skymiles card that folks pay to have when the Blue Sky or Blue with free member rewards is FREE. I closed my Skymiles after being cancelled by them the day of my trip & other bookings waitlisted with no reservation since they want twice the miles now as AMEX told me. So I have Blue Sky where I get $100 for 7500 points, better than RCCL VISA that wants 10,000 for $100.

How do majority of us get to a cruise. We fly! With all the trouble I have had for 2 years with Delta & their lousy Skymiles program, I am ready for them to go bye bye, but I hear their name will be used. But US Scare gets them if they pull out of bankruptdcy & I am going for LIQUIDATION.

When US Air merged with AW, none of my info or processes changed at all and I am FF on both. IMO, I dont think any of the dailt stuff changes. Maybe the paint color and clothes by the crew, but most of the high end stuff and money is all that really changes. Delta's process works,or they wouldnt have millions of fliers. Their problem is the management isnt cutting enough costs to pay for increased fuels and overhead costs. I saw an interseting show a few weeks back called..." A week with American Airlines." It was very intersting. Not only baggage issues, but management stuff too. The CEO axplained bout the issues I mentioned and how its killing other airlines. American has made some drastic changes which allows them balance out the overhead and fuels. Sorry so drug out...LOL

Archived