Not A Nice Surprise RCI....

AFT_LOVER

as I am checking our balances on credit cards, bank accounts, stock, etc every morning. RCI VISA has a $900 charge that is for Brilliance 4/16 depsoit. Excuse me but they owe me $900 for cancelling Jewel 6/18 so that zeroes out. But RCI tells me it takes 4 weeks to go thru. SO I phone my TA to tell her all about this & she is livid. But she calls back that I am getting $200 OBC for my Freedom fiasco with onboard booking & their down computers & yes I did book a new cruise. But still no credit.

Welcome to dealing with a large company! Only small companies can afford to keep track of "washing" out credits, large companies just don't have the time and manpower to do it.

In addition, this way both transactions are being kept seperate on your and their end. Easier to track on both ends.

Why it takes them 4 weeks to credit you is beyond me. They should be able to credit your card just as quickly as they charge it....

as I am checking our balances on credit cards, bank accounts, stock, etc every morning. RCI VISA has a $900 charge that is for Brilliance 4/16 depsoit. Excuse me but they owe me $900 for cancelling Jewel 6/18 so that zeroes out. But RCI tells me it takes 4 weeks to go thru. SO I phone my TA to tell her all about this & she is livid. But she calls back that I am getting $200 OBC for my Freedom fiasco with onboard booking & their down computers & yes I did book a new cruise. But still no credit.
If you have two cruises booked, isn't their standard procedure to apply credit from a cancelled cruise to the other one rather than refunding?

Welcome to dealing with a large company! Only small companies can afford to keep track of "washing" out credits, large companies just don't have the time and manpower to do it.

They don't have to keep track of anything. All they have to do is submit the credit for the cancelled cruise to the credit card company as well as the charge for the new booking. The credit card balance would then be zero. It has nothing to do with "washing out credits" or lack of manpower. It has everything to do with RCI holding on to, and collecting interest on, money that they are not entitled to.

They don't seem to have any problem at all getting new charges posted to a credit card in a very timely manner. There is plenty of manpower for that.

If you have two cruises booked, isn't their standard procedure to apply credit from a cancelled cruise to the other one rather than refunding?

I believe that is true if you keep the same booking number. In that case it is more like switching sailings and ships much like someone might switch cabins on a sailing. If you cancel and then book a new cruise with a new number I believe they refund the old booking number and bill the new booking.

or I call my TA again. I already phone VISA on this & they may go ahead & charge them back. Then the credit hits & they debit that. Still -0-. RCI wants the interest on $900 that they have had since May 2006. I already paid the bill so they owe me the $900 credit to zero it out.

I believe that is true if you keep the same booking number. In that case it is more like switching sailings and ships much like someone might switch cabins on a sailing. If you cancel and then book a new cruise with a new number I believe they refund the old booking number and bill the new booking.

Just canceled a cruise last week and rebooked a new one. They gave me a new booking number and just moved my deposit from the old booking over to the new without any problems. Was handled by my TA before he hung up.

Just canceled a cruise last week and rebooked a new one. They gave me a new booking number and just moved my deposit from the old booking over to the new without any problems. Was handled by my TA before he hung up.

Interesting. I wonder if that has to do with you using a TA. We all know with RCI customer service it all has to do with whom ever it is that happens to answer the phone.

I too have never had more than 3 business days to get a refund on a deposit or shore excursion.........but I use a ta as well......

I have transferred bookings before but never cancelled and rebooked with new numbers, without having to supply a new deposit......glad to know it can be done.

Interesting. I wonder if that has to do with you using a TA. We all know with RCI customer service it all has to do with whom ever it is that happens to answer the phone.

Personally I think that it has to do with your TA. Why would a TA let the cruise line charge your credit card for a new booking when you're canceling one and you already have a deposit on the books? Lack of follow though IMHO.

NOT the fault of RCI. Credit card companies often "cycle" credits. Timing is everything. It can take up to 60 days sometimes!!!!

Don't be so quick to bash RCI..if it is them, bash em, but it is a good chance it is the CC company.

RCI processes a credit. It hits the beginning of a cycle for the Credit Card company, which means it might sit for up to 30 days, then hits your account, and your bill is not due to be sent to your for another 30 days.

It is called the :"float" Credit card companies charge you interest, charge merchants a fee and work on the float every day of the year.

Might be Jim............I certainly don't know.........but have still never had more than 3 business days to have a credit show up on my CC.......I always check on line to see when it hits..........at least with RC........

The times that I have needed a credit card refund from RC, it always showed up within a day or two or three. Never longer.

Now, PRINCESS, this summer...........................ack. I waited and waited and waited for the refund to show up, and it came in dribs and drabs.

So, MACOP...................

explain a couple of things: Did you cancel a cruise in June of this year, and still haven't received a refund? Or did you book it in June and just now cancel the cruise? I absolutely cannot follow how long ago you cancelled the first $900 deposit and when you put down the second $900 deposit.

Please enlighten me.

Like many of the responses on this thread, I too have only waited 2 - 3 days at the very most for a credit from RCI whenever I have had to cancel a cruise. Is it possible that perhaps your T/A forgot to cancel your booking? Did you get a cancelation confirmation? Hope you get your credit soon.

Annieeee

We booked 2 cruise last May on Jewel & cancelled 1 last week (11/9) and no -$900 has shown. But I booked a new cruise 11/14 & the $900 charge was there 11/15. SO I nicely phone them, as the cancelled cruise is still showing on MY CRUISES to tell them it is cancelled as (my TA) told them & the new cruise booked. So she is livid with their bad bookkeeping. I am not the only one waiting for a credit. So then I phone BofA & am transferred to their dispute dept. They contacted my TA also & they are charging them back on Saturday if the credit isn't there Friday night.

The times that I have needed a credit card refund from RC, it always showed up within a day or two or three. Never longer.

Now, PRINCESS, this summer...........................ack. I waited and waited and waited for the refund to show up, and it came in dribs and drabs.

So, MACOP...................

explain a couple of things: Did you cancel a cruise in June of this year, and still haven't received a refund? Or did you book it in June and just now cancel the cruise? I absolutely cannot follow how long ago you cancelled the first $900 deposit and when you put down the second $900 deposit.

Please enlighten me.

I have a mail order business and recently had to issue a credit card credit to a customer. She called me several days later to ask why I had not yet credited her charge. I told her that I had done it days before but that I would contact my merchant bank. They told me that the delay is with her credit card company - they can take up to 30 days to credit an account. There was nothing we could do on either end.

Finally at 8AM today I got the credit. I phoned my galfriend who is a Key Account with RCI to say no credit. She called last night assuring me it was in progress. B of A updates at 8AM each morning on the forever to connect web site. At 5AM just the $900 charge & at 8AM there was the $900 credit. So 1 week to get it.......... cancelled Jewel 11/9 & credit shows 11/16. RCI blames new employee.

So for the heck of it I did my online check in & got the doc printed for 4/16, then sent stockholderbenefit@rccl.com my info on the cruise & got the $200 OBC emailed back to me all the same day! So those departments are working just fine.

We booked 2 cruise last May on Jewel & cancelled 1 last week (11/9) and no -$900 has shown. But I booked a new cruise 11/14 & the $900 charge was there 11/15. SO I nicely phone them, as the cancelled cruise is still showing on MY CRUISES to tell them it is cancelled as (my TA) told them & the new cruise booked. So she is livid with their bad bookkeeping. I am not the only one waiting for a credit. So then I phone BofA & am transferred to their dispute dept. They contacted my TA also & they are charging them back on Saturday if the credit isn't there Friday night.

Brenda.............if you are using a TA, RCCL should tell you to deal with the TA! If you are trying to deal directly with RCCL, you should not use a TA.

Glad you got the credit.

Rick

Why are so many people so quick to blame the TA? We don't charge the cards and we don't process the refunds. Whenever I have had to request a refund for a client the cruise lines and tour companies always tell me the refund will show up in one to two billing cycles. Whether it really takes that long or not I am not quite sure because that is what I always tell my clients and I have never had anyone tell me that they got it sooner.

This just happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I receive my visa statement and I see 3 500.00 charges from RCCL. Now it's a little bit more complicated because I have a few cruises booked but I knew it should only show 2 500.00 charges on this statement and not 3 as I canceled my 10/12 cruise and rebooked one on 10/26. So I call RCCL. I actually got a good person who knew what they were doing and looked my card number right up and knew all the cruises I had booked. What happened is that when I canceled the 10/12 cruise they credited my account and charged my new cruise so as it all happened within a few days of each other the original charge for my 10/13 was on this statement but she said to look on top of my statement and I'd see the credit for it. Sure enough there was the credits from RCCL but broken into 3 amounts that did add up to 500.00. So on this statement I was charged and credited all on one satement and that is what threw me off. But thats how fast they credited the cruise I canceled. Maybe because I booked online and canceled online and didn't go thru a TA is the reason it was credited so fast? :o

Why are so many people so quick to blame the TA? We don't charge the cards and we don't process the refunds. Whenever I have had to request a refund for a client the cruise lines and tour companies always tell me the refund will show up in one to two billing cycles. Whether it really takes that long or not I am not quite sure because that is what I always tell my clients and I have never had anyone tell me that they got it sooner.

Thank you from all us TA's -- I was wondering the same thing. Everyone always assumes the TA is "up to no good" -- We don't even see your credit card money -- it goes directly to the cruise line and comes back directly from them -- never touches our accounts....

Archived