bad sewage smell on star

brovol

All these folks make the best of their stay and don't threaten class action law suits.
Now that you mention it, I wonder what the basis behind a class action lawsuit in this case would be?

And off topic - give Rhett a scratch for me...!

We were on the Nov. 11th sailing of the Star and the smell was there. On the promenade forward where the tenders are within reach was the area that was most consistant. The most uncomfortable area was the elevators! The pursers desk was unhelpful in regards to another problem that I brought up after the first night (Baja 516 must back up to something mechanical, huge and broken because there would be such a large noise and a hard shut off (I'm not mechanically inclined so the terms may be totally off the wall.) that the walls actually shook! Once every 20 mins to 30 mins...the whole cruise! Could not get anyone to come to the room to hear and feel it. Sleep was at a premium on this trip.) that I felt to bring the smell issue up that I would get the same old same line...we will have someone check on it. Then forget to do it. I do plan to travel with Princess, but I will have to really think long and hard about sailing on the Star. In my opinion (limited as it may be), the Tahitian Princess was a much better ship to sail on, although much smaller. I will try some of the other ships first. To give most of the staff of the Star credit, they were very friendly, efficient, and generally made a good impression. :)

It kind of hung in the air like fog. Suddenly you were surrounded. I actually went on a walk about hunting for the source but could not find it. You could

isolate it to starboard side forward but that was it. If you had an inside room

or ocean view, you may not have noticed it that much. If you had a balcony

there was no missing it. When the ship set still it would gag a maggot. When

the ship was in motion it would change with the breeze. There was a day that a few cabins had left there balcony doors open and the smell was sucked into the ship. That day Dolphin deck was ripe. The stink did not

ruin my cruise. Life is what you make of it. It did limit my use of the balcony

to nothing. I understand things happen. I am not seeking damages. My only

gripe is that Princess, when you try to bring it to their attention, tries to

make out like there is nothing wrong. It is like a Python skit or a Mark Twain

story (the lineberger cheese on the train) Having said that, I still enjoy the

product Princess offers without the smell of course. I just suggest you sail

on one of the Star's sister ships. I have an idea the heat from the fire may

have warped something. Just a thought.

Peace

It kind of hung in the air like fog. Suddenly you were surrounded. I actually went on a walk about hunting for the source but could not find it. You could

isolate it to starboard side forward but that was it. If you had an inside room

or ocean view, you may not have noticed it that much. If you had a balcony

there was no missing it. When the ship set still it would gag a maggot. When

the ship was in motion it would change with the breeze. There was a day that a few cabins had left there balcony doors open and the smell was sucked into the ship. That day Dolphin deck was ripe. The stink did not

ruin my cruise. Life is what you make of it. It did limit my use of the balcony

to nothing. I understand things happen. I am not seeking damages. My only

gripe is that Princess, when you try to bring it to their attention, tries to

make out like there is nothing wrong. It is like a Python skit or a Mark Twain

story (the lineberger cheese on the train) Having said that, I still enjoy the

product Princess offers without the smell of course. I just suggest you sail

on one of the Star's sister ships. I have an idea the heat from the fire may

have warped something. Just a thought.

Peace

you summarized it perfectly. i agree that princess does a great job generally. this is the first princess cruise i have had a beef with. even on this cruise the food, service, and entertainment were very good. however, this smell (at least in our experience) was overwhelming. and, to equate it to the smell on mackinac island (where we go frequently) is flat out wrong. this was the smell of an open septic tank, which is wholly distinguishable from the odor of horse droppings.

I have been following this thread closely since we sailed on the Star November 6-11 and never noted any unpleasant odor....

Thousands of passengers have sailed on the Star over the past few weeks and have not complained about a sewage smell. There is no reason why everyone cannot have a terrific cruise on the fabulous Star Princess!

Mike

Maybe you had a cold and stuffy nose and couldn't smell it.

And not all of the "thousands of passengers" that have sailed on the Star post in CC. But it seems that 95% of those that post and that where in the Star in the last few sailings experienced this horrid smell.

Well I guess if there is a smell I can report back because we sail on 12/9 and we have a balcony cabin forward on the starboard side on Baja where everyone is reporting it is the worst. Of course we live in the sountry and have pig and chicken farms which vent around us and farmers spread liquid waste on their fields. The Amish are always going by with their horses using the rode as a bathroom, so maybe it will just remind us of home. We call it fresh county air.

Another recent Star review had this to say:

"There may have been one or two times the whole week where I briefly smelled something that could have been this, but each time it was very brief, and not all at pervasive throughout the ship."

Link to post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=447755

Who "nose" what your experience will be?

Don't let one smelly situation spoil all of your fun. It is only one component of an unbeliveable good time on a "Love Boat" - The food, the scenery, the shows, the lounges, the entertainment, the ports of call and the adventure of sailing on ship in the middle of the ocean.

And because you are on a ship in the middle of the ocean there are risks involved. It is not a Walt Disney World ride. A tender is also a "Life" boat.

Don't let one smelly situation spoil all of your fun. It is only one component of an unbeliveable good time on a "Love Boat" - The food, the scenery, the shows, the lounges, the entertainment, the ports of call and the adventure of sailing on ship in the middle of the ocean.

LOL!!! I have never seen sewage smell listed as "one component" of cruising. No wonder Princess can get away with this!

for people that were on a pervious star cruise or for future star cruisers that will provide us with details of the smell if any...could you let us know if you are on the starboard or port side of the ship? From the way it looks the smell is more on the starboard side of the ship.

It also seems to be towards the middle to front of the ship -

that is why it would be nice to try and pinpoint where the smell is coming from....thanx

I am asking because we are in an AA mini portside in 50 days and like to know if that area has been affected.

for people that were on a pervious star cruise or for future star cruisers that will provide us with details of the smell if any...could you let us know if you are on the starboard or port side of the ship? From the way it looks the smell is more on the starboard side of the ship.

It also seems to be towards the middle to front of the ship -

that is why it would be nice to try and pinpoint where the smell is coming from....thanx

I am asking because we are in an AA mini portside in 50 days and like to know if that area has been affected.

Off the Star 11-25-2006. My balcony cabins were front port 200's on C deck. No smell from our balconies all week. Others in our group were on D deck starboard in the 300's. Their were many times when the smell was bad enough on the starboard that you had to go inside because of the sewer smell.

What is terribly frustrating here that that there is no admission of a problem which most certainly exits ! Being told that people "will look into it" or that "we are not aware of a problem" points to a problem within the Princess organization.

There is no response that has been formulated, no explanation, no corrective action to be taken.

That is what is absolutely wrong.

yes. we are patinum cruisers. yes the star princess smells. like a toilet. its gross, and i am very angry that princess is aware of this and does nothing. i complained loudly on my last cruise to new england.

princess is gross for letting this go on

do not travel with princess until they fix this major problem!

Hi All,

My wife and I are booked on the Star for the W. Carrib. in Feb. of '07.

This will be our second cruise in a year with Princess. Thus far our opinion has been favorable.

I share everyone's concern about this serious problem and how Princess is apparently stalling on a response or ignoring their passengers concerns outright.

If I run into this same issue during my cruise, I will undoubtedly take the same course of action as others have done by contacting management at all levels until I'm blue in the face.

HOWEVER, I think it might also be worth copying a representative (any representative) of the Centers for Disease Control as well.

Might that not get the attention of the cruise line?

I would "think" the CDC would be interested in such problems which would appear indicative of an unsanitary condition that could lead to a bigger problem.

Am I WAY off base? Or has someone already tried this?

All comments welcome.

Anyone a member of the media?

On a slow news day, this could make for an interesting little side story...

I'd love for someone to contact Princess and ask to interview them about the sewage smell onboard the Star. ...Ask about cause of the problem, how it is impacting their customer satisfaction, what they are doing to fix it, is it sanitary or health concern (and if no, why not), will such problems, if ongoing, put a damper on consumer's interest in a cruise vacation, etc...

I'm certainly interested to hear how Princess responds to such questions. And I wonder how Princess might feel about a story being aired on this topic, with or without their input. One would think it would get their attention.

If I were a potential cruiser considering booking a cruise, I'd like to hear about this. I mean, sewage smell is not something mentioned in the TV ads... It may be something that occassionally happens on a ship, but if so, and I was one of those many people with sensitive noses, I'd want to know about it so I could decide if it was worth my time & $$.

Are any of the T/A's that sold you the cruise a major producer for Princess? If so, they should have no problem to speak to somebody in Management ( not to a lowly Customer service representative that obviously knows nothing) and ask for an explanation?

Also, people aboard that are affected should band together and go en masse to the Purser's desk and demand to speak to the Hotel director. I wonder if they would dare tell a big group of people that there is no sewage smell.

Anyone a member of the media?

On a slow news day, this could make for an interesting little side story...

I'd love for someone to contact Princess and ask to interview them about the sewage smell onboard the Star. ...Ask about cause of the problem, how it is impacting their customer satisfaction, what they are doing to fix it, is it sanitary or health concern (and if no, why not), will such problems, if ongoing, put a damper on consumer's interest in a cruise vacation, etc...

I'm certainly interested to hear how Princess responds to such questions. And I wonder how Princess might feel about a story being aired on this topic, with or without their input. One would think it would get their attention.

If I were a potential cruiser considering booking a cruise, I'd like to hear about this. I mean, sewage smell is not something mentioned in the TV ads... It may be something that occassionally happens on a ship, but if so, and I was one of those many people with sensitive noses, I'd want to know about it so I could decide if it was worth my time & $$.

Hopefully those who have posted here that they've smelled nothing will be included in this media event. We wouldn't want to pass up the chance to have a fair and balanced story would we?

Hopefully those who have posted here that they've smelled nothing will be included in this media event. We wouldn't want to pass up the chance to have a fair and balanced story would we?

Yes, I think there has been a couple of those. We wouldn't want them lost in the crowd! LOL!

Archived