Importance of Shrimp Cocktail

WeLoveCruising

I've read a number of reviews lately in which the person is unhappy that they weren't provided shrimp cocktail upon request at dinner (when it's not offered as a regular menu item). Comments seem to range from it was provided happily, it was offered at an extra charge, it was offered for the next night, or it wasnt available at all.

I realize that maybe HAL used to provide shrimp cocktail upon request, and maybe some other lines still do. However, I was wondering what the big deal is? If I was eating in a restaurant at home it wouldnt dawn on me to order something that wasnt on the menu (special preparations, yes - something not even on the menu, no). Even though I love seafood, I guess I just dont consider shrimp cocktail such a luxury that I wouldnt enjoy my meal without it.

I expect some people will reply that this is another cost-cutting measure, etc., and it probably is. I was just wondering if any of you would be dissatisfied with your dinner if you couldnt get a shrimp cocktail?

Disappointed? Possibly but not to the point of distraction. Seems to me we've asked for shrimp cocktails when they weren't on the menu and sometimes gotten them, sometimes not. OK. No biggie deal. Skip the appetizer then. Might be that shrimp cocktails were once always available upon request as are/were other standard meal choices (i.e., roasted chicken or steak in lieu of entrees). Again, the availability, or lack thereof, of shrimp cocktail is not going to ruin our cruise.

No, we would not be dissatisfied with our dinner without shrimp cocktail.

As mentioned by bankerbabe, there are so many interesting appetizers to try. We have never been dissapointed with of the huge array of fabulous choices, even on 35 day cruises.

However, there do seem to be some people who want the same thing, often. One cruise: 2 ladies at a table within our view ordered the alternative steak (one with baked potato) every night for 28 dinners, excepting the Master Chef dinner when the kitchen was not doing the alternatives and these two ordered the roasted whole tenderloin. I thought they were going to cry.

To each his own, but HAL does a great job of being accommodating.

I've tried shrimp cocktails on several lines, namely Princess, Celebrity and HAL.

They all use the same recipe.

Watery small shrimp, soggy lettuce and insipid red sauce.

I don't care if I never see another one again;) .

Maybe Crystal will be better next March, but I doubt it!

BTW, I love the food on HAL, just not the shrimp cocktail.

On all our HAL cruises they have served the large shrimp twice on a 10 day cruise (once on a skewer, once traditionally) and one time only on a 7 dayer. Anything else that says 'shrimp cocktail', including what you get from room service, are the tiny watery bay shrimp, so read the menu very carefully or you will be disappointed.

I don't recall many of the 'no shrimp cocktails' posts lately. But, honestly.....

Do you have a BJ's, a Costco, a grocery store near you? Buy a bag of shrimp. Costs about $12. Defrost it. Buy a bottle of cocktail sauce. Costs about $1.19. Put the shrimp on some shredded lettuce. Serve with cocktail sauce and a piece of lemon. Voila.....you've got a shrimp cocktail.

I don't get it. What is the big deal? I like shrimp okay. Take it or leave it but it is such an ordinary thing that any of us can provide it for ourselves for small amount of money and zero cooking skills.

Sure....you have the option of dropping your peppercorns and bay leaf in barely boiling water and cleaning and cooking and chilling your own shrimp but it isn't necessary.

Anything else that says 'shrimp cocktail', including what you get from room service, are the tiny watery bay shrimp, so read the menu very carefully or you will be disappointed.

I love those. As long as I can have those every afternoon via room service, I don't miss the larger ones at dinner :) I prefer the bay shrimp!

I think other lines have cut back as well: you know Shrimp isn't all that expensive, I am not sure why. As whether it would bother me? I don't think so. I do love it, but I like to try other apptizers anyway. I had to chuckle to myself when someone said, they all use the same recipe with wilted lettuce. On the NCL board about 3 months ago everyone was bitching because NCL used lettuce> Honest shrimp cocktails are made with lettuce, but not wilted I hope, celery is also often used. As for escargot, just read today, on the NCL board, they have cut it out except in the specialty dining rooms. I hope HAL doesn't. NMnita

I bear witness to shrimp cocktails moving all over the dining room on several nights, while they only made one menu appearance "in print" on Day 2 at the Captains Gala dinner. There was no shrimp shortage on the Maasdam at the 8:30 dinner seatings...

On the Noordam, the shrimp cocktails (when available) consisted of three very average - sized shimp. I think I that read that shrimp have become an endangered species in the Netherlands. Maybe the size of the shrimp is inversely proportional to the size of the ship. Nonetheless, the other shrimp dishes were what had us laughing. You've heard of the child labor laws? What about the "robbing the crustacean cradle law?" HAL uses the word "shrimp" too literally. Hey HAL: At least, wait until the shrimp are born.

Do you have a BJ's, a Costco, a grocery store near you? Buy a bag of shrimp. Costs about $12. Defrost it. Buy a bottle of cocktail sauce. Costs about $1.19. Put the shrimp on some shredded lettuce. Serve with cocktail sauce and a piece of lemon. Voila.....you've got a shrimp cocktail.

I don't get it either. I can do this at home. Among the things that we look forward to on cruises is having food that we don't get at home.

We were on the Rotterdam a few years ago and were seated with some people who badgered the staff into providing shrimp cocktail every night. It was embarassing.

I don't get it either. I can do this at home. Among the things that we look forward to on cruises is having food that we don't get at home.

We were on the Rotterdam a few years ago and were seated with some people who badgered the staff into providing shrimp cocktail every night. It was embarassing.

Thank you, jascruise. I'm glad to read I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

I'd so rather have something that is a treat. Something only HAL makes. A particular soup. A wonderful appetizer. A recipe/dish unique to only when we cruise.

I can get a shrimp cocktail in almost every restaurant and certainly it's no big deal to have it daily at home if we chose.

I enjoy the large shrimp that has been served at least once in the dining room on my 7 day cruises and several times on each longer cruise. I would not try to order if it was not on the menu.

I wish HAL would not serve shrimp cocktail in the tall silver compotes though! How does one eat it neatly? the tails are placed toward the center with the sauce squarely on top of them. If you try to cut the shrimp and then dip the piece of shrimp in the sauce you risk tipping the whole thing into your lap. Plus, a lot of the shrimp is wasted. If you try to pick it up with your fork and delicately nibble, the sauce is not where the tasty part of the shrimp is. The plate is not large enough so that you could transfer the shrimp and cut it there. It seems a bit gauche to just pick them up the way I do in my own home. It's almost not worth the trouble to order the shrimp cocktail.

If they ever discontinue the escargot I'd openly weep. Have never had better anywhere.

What is the big deal here? It would not affect my desire to cruise if I never saw one again! At the end of the day many of the larger shrimp are of warm water origin (farmed) not harvested. Whilst some of the N/Atlantic variety are more flavoursome but alas minute in comparison.

L'escargots now that is a treat to behold & seldom readily available, unless of course you happen to reside in Paris!

Whilst the major Cruise Lines continue to offer ever more frequent discounts in this highly competitive market, there may well be a few insignificant fringe benefits that may disappear. However the fundamentals will remain the same. Which is a nice product @ value for money!

Archived