Questions About The "New" Celebrity Journey?

Dolphins

I see that Celebrity has obtained one of the former Renaissance "R" ships, renamed her Celebrity Journey and she will begin sailing 7 day cruises to Bermuda out of Bayonne beginning in May 2007. She is ideally configured for docking in all of Bermuda's ports and her many balconied cabins will be an improvement over the Zenith and the Horizon.

It appears, however, that Celebrity is hyping her as a "premium" cruise experience with prices to match. In pricing, I found her rates to be more than double that of similar category cabins on other ships offering seven day cruises to Bermuda. It will be interesting to see what this ship will offer to justify those high prices? There is little information yet available on this ship and Celebrity does not have a brochure available on it as yet? I look forward to the comments of the first passengers in May.

Actually, this ship is not being marketed as premium, but rather luxury.

Every cabin will have butler service and upgraded amenity packages.

Look at your choices for 7 night Bermuda cruises: Empress of the Seas, Norwegian Crown and the Norwegian Majesty. Cheaper or not, personally I wouldn't spend my money on them.

Sometimes cheaper is not a good thing.

Actually, this ship is not being marketed as premium, but rather luxury.

Every cabin will have butler service and upgraded amenity packages..

Never heard about the butler... from X's website:

Discover a comfortably sophisticated, upscale cruise experience aboard Celebrity’s enchanting new ship, Celebrity Journey. With slightly more than 700 guests, Celebrity Journey offers a traditional Celebrity cruise experience in a more intimate environment. Enjoy well-appointed accommodations, Sensory Heaven spa treatments by Elemis and our award winning gourmet cuisine made only from the freshest ingredients. Of course, Celebrity’s unparalleled service with one staff member for every two guests ensures every wish is anticipated and effortlessly granted.

The prices for the two week repo cruise in October seems in line with other cruise prices.

I have the flyers we received last week on CN's inaugural and during the following seminar at sea.

It reads:

STATEROOM DESCRIPTIONS:

Upgraded amenity package and butler service in every stateroom.

Journey's repo per diems are higher than Constellation's 11/5/07 pricing.. whose rates have gone up significantly since I originally booked my group space.

For what it is worth....

A CC member booked the repo Journey for early Fall 2007 while we were on the Zenith last week. She also told us that all cabins would have a butler. She also said that the price was less than what they had paid for the Zenith Nov. 2006. Interesting!!

Never heard about the butler... .

Arno, when I first read the press release:

Blue Dream
will be renamed
Celebrity Journe
y, and will join Celebrity’s fleet in April, 2007, sailing Bermuda itineraries from Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ, beginning May 5, 2007. Before switching brands, the ship will undergo a one-month revitalization and drydock to incorporate many of Celebrity’s signature elements such as two specialty restaurants; expanded spa services,
including
in-room offerings;
expanded concierge service, including butlers
; and additional guest suites. The restyled ship will sail the same Bermuda itineraries originally scheduled for
Zenith

I thought the highlighted portion (my highlighting) meant all rooms were getting concierge service and butlers. On second reading, I realized that "including in-room offerings" refers to the spa services.

Then, I interpreted "expanded concierge service, including butlers" to mean Concierge Class (my error) will have butlers.

After reading your quote and the ship description for Celebrity Journey on X's website, I concluded that butlers in concierge class was just wishful thinking. I better go back to school for a punctuation review in English grammar. :D

P.S. ocngypz & Deb C.: you posted while I was staring at a white screen. Butlers in every cabin. Wow!

For what it is worth....

A CC member booked the repo Journey for early Fall 2007 while we were on the Zenith last week. She also told us that all cabins would have a butler. She also said that the price was less than what they had paid for the Zenith Nov. 2006. Interesting!!

Poor thing must have paid full pop for the 06 Repo! Most of my bookings were under $1000 per person. The lowest price for Journey's 07 is 1549 plus tax.

For the first week in October 2007 I priced the Penthouse Balcony cabins on the Norwegian Crown and the Celebrity Journey, each 7 day Bermuda cruises out of New York. The total cabin price for two on the Crown was $300. less than the per person price on the Journey? What will you get for paying more than double? The Crown price also includes a butler and concierge.

For the first week in October 2007 I priced the Penthouse Balcony cabins on the Norwegian Crown and the Celebrity Journey, each 7 day Bermuda cruises out of New York. The total cabin price for two on the Crown was $300. less than the per person price on the Journey? What will you get for paying more than double? The Crown price also includes a butler and concierge.

You must have access to better pricing than I do!:) When I look at the NCL website for Bermuda for the first week of October (7 nights from New York), I see $599/person for an inside cabin. A suite is $949/person.

Lisa

Thought i would comment. We have been on the Empress 6 times, We booked the bermuda cruise on her for Sept 1st. When we got home from our Grandeur cruise, my TA had emailed me that she received my reservation while we were gone. She informed me that she has cabins available for the "new" Journey ship by X. I read as much info that was out there, which was not alot, but we gave up our OBC to switch to the Journey for the same room. We now have a balcony cabin, concierge class going to the same ports, same week and we are paying $100.00 more pp. My SIL was on the Renaissance IV and told us we would be crazy not to try it at this amount of money. I don't expect butler service, but would be nice. Actually i can't wait to read more about this ship.

You must have access to better pricing than I do!:) When I look at the NCL website for Bermuda for the first week of October (7 nights from New York), I see $599/person for an inside cabin. A suite is $949/person.

Lisa

My quote from the NCL website (8/1/06) for a AB Penthouse on Norwegian Crown is $2206. per person. The price I got from Celebrity for a Penthouse (7114) on Celebrity Journey was $4463 per person. Both quotes were for a 7 day Bermuda cruise from New York for the first week in October 2007. Both cabins feature butler and concierge service. Still interested in what else Celebrity offers to justify the considerable additional cost?

Smaller ship does not mean smaller cabins. It's a common misconception that Journey's cabins are smaller. Other than the obstructed view cabins, they're all within a few sq feet of the other Celebrity ships and IMO - much better designed with tremendous storage space.

If regular cabins on Century class ships is 171 sq ft, Journey's comparable cabins are 161 outside, 151 sq ft insides:

"tours" are not available but Princess has a nice deck plan

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plancruise/ships/cabinclass/home.do;jsessionid=0000FQXI1MEKOik7TJjrkA2atxk:1051tg34t?shipCode=JR

http://www.princess.com/ships/pa/deck/pa_deck_7_index.html

Dolphins,

My quote from the NCL website (8/1/06) for a AB Penthouse on Norwegian Crown is $2206. per person. The price I got from Celebrity for a Penthouse (7114) on Celebrity Journey was $4463 per person. Both quotes were for a 7 day Bermuda cruise from New York for the first week in October 2007. Both cabins feature butler and concierge service. Still interested in what else Celebrity offers to justify the considerable additional cost?

You are comparing apples to oranges. Norwegian Cruise Line operates in the "mainstream" segment of the cruise market whereas Celebrity Cruises operates in the "premium" segment of the cruise market. This is like comparing Denny's or Perkins to Olive Garden or to Outback Steakhouse, or like comparing Days Inn or Red Roof to Hilton or Radisson.

Norm.

Dolphins,

You are comparing apples to oranges. Norwegian Cruise Line operates in the "mainstream" segment of the cruise market whereas Celebrity Cruises operates in the "premium" segment of the cruise market. This is like comparing Denny's or Perkins to Olive Garden or to Outback Steakhouse, or like comparing Days Inn or Red Roof to Hilton or Radisson.

Norm.

I beg to differ. I consider NCL and Celebrity to be in the same "mainstream" category. I have taken both Celebrity Zenith and Norwegian Crown to Bermuda and I found no differences between them. Do you honestly believe that Zenith and Horizon are "premium" cruise ships? In fact, the service I received in the dining room from NCL was superior to that I received from Celebrity. I have also enjoyed RCI, HAL, Carnival & Princess and found no huge difference between them. In contrast, Regent (formerly Radisson) was a "premium" cruise experience. Celebrity can only pretend to be in that class.

If Celebrity Journey is going to charge me twice as much to go to Bermuda as Norwegian Crown, they will have to provide some additional perks similar to what Regent provides (gratuities included, complimentary liquor, superior menus etc.)

The R class ships are really wonderful BUT their regular cabins are almost always smaller than what we used to nowdays... That is unfortunately a fact an not speculation..... That is why I said buyer beware when comparing X rates you have paid to date

Dolphins,

I beg to differ. I consider NCL and Celebrity to be in the same "mainstream" category.

That's not the way the lines are marketed and that's not the way that the lines are rated.

I have taken both Celebrity Zenith and Norwegian Crown to Bermuda and I found no differences between them.

So the staff on MV Norwegian Crown greeted you with a complimentary glass of champagne when you boarded?

And the staff of MV Norwegian Crown had cold towels and beverages on the pier for you when you returned to the ship in a tropical destination?

These are the sorts of subtle touches that distinguish a "premium" cruise line from a "mainstream" cruise line. But if they don't matter to you, by all means go with the "mainstream" line.

Do you honestly believe that Zenith and Horizon are "premium" cruise ships?

What distinguishes a "premium" product from a "mainstream" product is the level of service -- not the age, or size of the vessel.

I have also enjoyed RCI, HAL, Carnival & Princess and found no huge difference between them.

Again, if you don't notice the higher level of service of a "premium" line like Holland America Lines, Princess Cruises, or Celebrity Cruises, by all means go with the "mainstream" products offered by Royal Caribbean International, Carnival Cruises, or Norwegian Cruise line. You'll save a fair amount of money in the process.

In contrast, Regent (formerly Radisson) was a "premium" cruise experience. Celebrity can only pretend to be in that class.

Nobody said that Celebrity is in the same class as Regent Seven Seas Cruises. Rather, Regent Seven Seas Cruises actually is a "luxury" cruise. In the standard convention, the four tiers of the cruise market are "luxury," "premium," "mainstream," and "budget" in order from fanciest to cheapest.

Norm.

Dolphins,

That's not the way the lines are marketed and that's not the way that the lines are rated.

So the staff on MV Norwegian Crown greeted you with a complimentary glass of champagne when you boarded?

And the staff of MV Norwegian Crown had cold towels and beverages on the pier for you when you returned to the ship in a tropical destination?

These are the sorts of subtle touches that distinguish a "premium" cruise line from a "mainstream" cruise line. But if they don't matter to you, by all means go with the "mainstream" line.

What distinguishes a "premium" product from a "mainstream" product is the level of service -- not the age, or size of the vessel.

Again, if you don't notice the higher level of service of a "premium" line like Holland America Lines, Princess Cruises, or Celebrity Cruises, by all means go with the "mainstream" products offered by Royal Caribbean International, Carnival Cruises, or Norwegian Cruise line. You'll save a fair amount of money in the process.

Nobody said that Celebrity is in the same class as Regent Seven Seas Cruises. Rather, Regent Seven Seas Cruises actually is a "luxury" cruise. In the standard convention, the four tiers of the cruise market are "luxury," "premium," "mainstream," and "budget" in order from fanciest to cheapest.

Norm.

We here at cruisecritic are so fortunate to have Norm around to enlighten us as to exactly what category cruiseline we are sailing on. Having sailed on over 30 cruises on multiple cruiselines, I know from experience that there is little difference between Celebrity, HAL, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival and NCL. I have found NCL to be the "premium" host of this group. They are the most innovative (freestyle dining) and the first to sail year round out of New York; all the others are now following in their wake. I was treated far better after only several cruises on "mainstream" NCL than I ever was after 100 days on "premium" HAL (all I ever got from them was a copper medal). If "premium" Celebrity Journey wants to charge me twice as much to go to Bermuda as "mainstream" NCL, they had better give me more than a mythical cruiseline designation, a cold towel and a glass of champagne. I've gotten numerous bottles of champagne from NCL.

Finally, today I received an E-mail from cruisecritic as follows: "Experience the Celebrity treatment on a spectacular Caribbean cruise for as little as $339." That's a premium cruise line? I assume the mainstream and budget cruiselines are charging even less?

We here at cruisecritic are so fortunate to have Norm around to enlighten us as to exactly what category cruiseline we are sailing on. Having sailed on over 30 cruises on multiple cruiselines, I know from experience that there is little difference between Celebrity, HAL, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival and NCL. I have found NCL to be the "premium" host of this group. They are the most innovative (freestyle dining) and the first to sail year round out of New York; all the others are now following in their wake. I was treated far better after only several cruises on "mainstream" NCL than I ever was after 100 days on "premium" HAL (all I ever got from them was a copper medal). If "premium" Celebrity Journey wants to charge me twice as much to go to Bermuda as "mainstream" NCL, they had better give me more than a mythical cruiseline designation, a cold towel and a glass of champagne. I've gotten numerous bottles of champagne from NCL.

Finally, today I received an E-mail from cruisecritic as follows: "Experience the Celebrity treatment on a spectacular Caribbean cruise for as little as $339." That's a premium cruise line? I assume the mainstream and budget cruiselines are charging even less?

Sorry, but NCL is at the bottom of the pecking order. And the ad you received was for a 4 night cruise on Century, minimum inside cabin.

So enjoy your cruise on NCL. You may want to take a look to see if there is a roll call for the NCL CROWN.

Norm's not the only one:

http://www.travelstoreusa.com/pages/3321/Cruise_Guide_&_Cruise_Lines.htm

http://www.cruisereviews.com/

http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/cruiselines/index.asp

Oceania, Celebrity and Holland America are considered Premium because they have a better space ratio (less passengers per sq ft), they have more staff per passenger, and the spend more money on cuisine per passenger.

Supply and demand determines price. The profit margin on Premium lines is much lower than the mass market lines.

Food and service are better on the Premium lines, but entertainment and activities could well be better on the Mainstream lines. Comes down to your preferences; one is not better than the other, just different.

I've never had a bad cruise! :)

Kel

Sorry, but NCL is at the bottom of the pecking order. And the ad you received was for a 4 night cruise on Century, minimum inside cabin.

So enjoy your cruise on NCL. You may want to take a look to see if there is a roll call for the NCL CROWN.

NCL remains at the top of my pecking order based solely on the way they have treated me in the past.

I have already started a roll call for Norwegian Crown (9/30/07) and have booked a Penthouse cabin on her. I have sailed the Norwegian Crown to Bermuda before and submitted a very favorable review. I was curious when I heard Celebrity Journey was offering a similar Bermuda cruise for the same week. I called Celebrity to price a Penthouse cabin and was stunned to find the price was more than twice the NCL rate. I started this thread in the hope of finding out what I would receive for double my money. So far, not much besides some apparent status. For that price, I think I'll take two "mainstream" cruises rather than one "premium" cruise.

OK, I`ll jump in here and will probably get blasted:o

Celebrity is not considered premium anymore in the industry ever since RCI took over. Sorry, but they have come down a few pegs.

Oceania is Premium Luxury........not in the same class as X.

Carnival......NCL.......RCI......Mainstream (but NCL does have the best Suites, Garden Villas, Courtyard Suites IMO)

HAL...... Princess........ X.......bordering on Premium.

We all know who the Luxury Lines are;)

Now, I just booked Journey for myself to see if X is trying to get their status back with a Premium type ship. We shall see.

OK, I`ll jump in here and will probably get blasted:o

Celebrity is not considered premium anymore in the industry ever since RCI took over. Sorry, but they have come down a few pegs.

Oceania is Premium Luxury........not in the same class as X.

Carnival......NCL.......RCI......Mainstream (but NCL does have the best Suites, Garden Villas, Courtyard Suites IMO)

HAL...... Princess........ X.......bordering on Premium.

We all know who the Luxury Lines are;)

Now, I just booked Journey for myself to see if X is trying to get their status back with a Premium type ship. We shall see.

Ann:

If you had been on CN's inaugural last week you would hav learned that Celebrity is positioning Journey, and Journey only, as a luxury ship.

Also, the various trade publications do rate Celebrity premium. above HAL. Princess is not rated premium.

Ann:

If you had been on CN's inaugural last week you would hav learned that Celebrity is positioning Journey, and Journey only, as a luxury ship.

Also, the various trade publications do rate Celebrity premium. above HAL. Princess is not rated premium.

IMO, and being in the industry a long time:eek: :) don`t think the trades are always true....politics ya know.

Have been sailing on X since it`s inception and it is not Premium anymore IMO.

Princess, HAL, and X are bordering on Premium and I think they are falling off a lot.

I do know that X is positioning Journey as it`s Premium ship, that is why I am going on her to see if they will be successful. I hope they are. I need more Premium ships to sell.:)

Archived