Questions About The "New" Celebrity Journey?

Dolphins

They built a loyal market of cruisers and families going to Bermuda on Horizon and Zenith every summer. Those folks also booked other Celebrity cruises. The happy hour specials topped off only a few sailings in the hurricane season. Many people went every year to Bermuda, some more than once. Most were not paying happy hour or rock bottom prices. So now they are saying heck with their repeaters and loyal customers and sell to a different market? Those customers will remember and become some other cruise lines customers. They will do the Princess and HAL cruises out of Brooklyn or the NCL cruises. Or some other cruise line will fill the niche that Celebrity is giving up.

Charles I have to totally agree with you on this. We are one of the families who cruise to Bermuda on Zenith. In the past two years we have done it twice each season. We have taken the higher priced June cruise and then a lower-cost hurricane cruise in Sept or Oct. We have a child and cost-wise Zenith worked out well for us, besides having the children's facilities and pretty large standard rooms. You do not need a balcony for Bermuda. Most of the week you are in Bermuda or at the pool on sea-days. I did not miss a balcony one bit. We appreciate X's fine food and mostly their wonderful crew but they are forcing us to look at Princess this summer. Journey as I priced it to Bermuda in June is double what I paid last June for Zenith and it seems that Journey is not family friendly.

So we will switch to Princess. I have no idea if I will like it more or less than Celebrity but if I like it just as well, then X has lost a loyal family of cruisers. And I'm sure there are many other families in our same predicament. Zenith to Bermuda was a wonderful option for those of us who live in the Northeast and want an affordable, easy get-away. There may have been some price-lowering on the September cruises (hurricane season) but as far as I could see most cruises sailed with a full ship.

I am very anxious to hear some reviews from Journey to Bermuda so someone can tell us what more they received for the money, besides sailing with less people on a smaller ship. And I want to hear from the ones sailing in a standard ocean view cabin, not those in CC or penthouses.

You already have Galaxy selling at extremely low per diems with Mercury not that far behind. Now with the onset of three ships carrying almost 3000 passengers each where do you truly think the quality of Celebrity is headed.

Where do you see low per diems on Galaxy????

Where do you see low per diems on Galaxy????

Just look at the cruises for this winter. They are extremely cheap and they still are not even sold out for their christmas cruise. That is something that typically is un-heard of in the cruise industry at this late date.

Just look at the cruises for this winter. They are extremely cheap and they still are not even sold out for their christmas cruise. That is something that typically is un-heard of in the cruise industry at this late date.

There are a numeber of Xmas sailings which are not sold out.. across the lines.

Airlift.. and air prices... are the problem.

There will be two specialty restaurants on Journey. Deck 10 aft. One port side, one starboard.

Funny, how the smaller ships of Princess (Pacific and Tahitian) and HAL (Prisendam) command higher per diems than their fleet mates!

ocngypz,

There will be two specialty restaurants on Journey. Deck 10 aft. One port side, one starboard.

That's what the press release seems to imply and it is the original configuration of these vessels, but there have been more than a few instances in which the company's press releases were not accurate on such details -- like the press release announcing the Cirque du Soleil alliance, for example, which gave the impression that Cirque du Soleil would be staging shows on the line's ships as well as "transforming" (?) the disco/nightclub. We'll have to see what actually emerges.

Funny, how the smaller ships of Princess (Pacific and Tahitian) and HAL (Prisendam) command higher per diems than their fleet mates!

That's not surprising at all. The smaller ships operate to more exotic itineraries, which traditionally command higher per deims, than their fleetmates. MV Celebrity Journey will do likewise after her inaugural season in Bermuda.

There is, however, one additional factor. These ships have a much higher percentage of premium cabins than many of their fleetmates and a much smaller percentage of cabins in the lower (inside, obstructed view, and standard outside) categories. Thus, the mix of cabins also commands higher average fares.

Norm.

ocngypz,

That's what the press release seems to imply and it is the original configuration of these vessels, but there have been more than a few instances in which the company's press releases were not accurate on such details -- like the press release announcing the Cirque du Soleil alliance, for example, which gave the impression that Cirque du Soleil would be staging shows on the line's ships as well as "transforming" (?) the disco/nightclub. We'll have to see what actually emerges.

That's not surprising at all. The smaller ships operate to more exotic itineraries, which traditionally command higher per deims, than their fleetmates. MV Celebrity Journey will do likewise after her inaugural season in Bermuda.

There is, however, one additional factor. These ships have a much higher percentage of premium cabins than many of their fleetmates and a much smaller percentage of cabins in the lower (inside, obstructed view, and standard outside) categories. Thus, the mix of cabins also commands higher average fares.

Norm.

Hi Norm:

I have the newest version of the Journey's deck plans which I received at CN's re-inaugural. Clearly delineated are the two specialty restaurants.

Princess's new Royal Princess is commanding higher per diems in Europe in 07 than her fleet mates.... looking at like categories... ditto the Pacific Princess in Alaska for 07. HAL's Prisendam is commanding higher per diem in Europ in 07 than her fleetmates and did as well in 06.

I have elite status with Celebrity and did Bermuda 4 times on the Horizon and Zenith. I will wait for 7 seas to do a Bermuda cruise before I will pay these rates. Isn't funny that when they transfer the Zenith and Horizon out of the fleet they can put balconies on them, but not for us. Makes you wonder?

I have elite status with Celebrity and did Bermuda 4 times on the Horizon and Zenith. I will wait for 7 seas to do a Bermuda cruise before I will pay these rates. Isn't funny that when they transfer the Zenith and Horizon out of the fleet they can put balconies on them, but not for us. Makes you wonder?

Actually, no. It does not make me wonder. The ships now have higher passenger densities and less staff. They are old... cost a lot to operate.. and when combining their original cost, the remodeling in the late 90's and the additional $$ required to add balconies... and 2010 SOLAS requirements, the balance sheet did not make any sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the Journey not going to be a ship suitable for families. We are looking for a 7 night cruise on Celebrity and it is either Alaska or Bermuda. As we have already done Alaska we were thinking Bermuda would be a nice change. Does anyone know if there are children's facilities or activites?

Although I have not been on an NCL ship in the past 4 years, I would place it a nod above the bottom rung Carnival. No I don't want to hear announcements all day about "crack-its", the spa, shopping, art auction, etc. I don't like to take expensive excursions run by inexperienced crew members that don't know what they are talking about. Go to Concierge.com and see how many NCL ships you'll find among the top 32 large ships. Would you believe "0" ? Carnival has one rounding out the very bottom of the list. NCL is more innonovative in some ares, but they don't provide the service or quality accomodations.

I have been on the Journey's sister ship, Tahitian Princess (Balcony), and I found the accomodations and service to be on par with similar category service on X. Because of the smaller size, there will be fewer entertainment, dining choices and meal selections, but it is an ideal size ship for cruising between small islands like French Polynesia. As a point of interest. This category of ships is about the same tonnage as a WW II Battleship. In the mid size ships, the Tahitian Princess ranks 5th behind 2 Crystal and 2 Regent 7 Seas ships.

Is the Journey not going to be a ship suitable for families. We are looking for a 7 night cruise on Celebrity and it is either Alaska or Bermuda. As we have already done Alaska we were thinking Bermuda would be a nice change. Does anyone know if there are children's facilities or activites?

I don't know exactly what facilities they will have but Bermuda is a good trip to take with kids. You have one day out and one day back with four days on the island where you can leave the ship whenever you wish. Lots of good beaches and things to do plus it is a beautiful place. The Bermuda cruise is totally different then other cruises because you are in the islands for four days.

That day and a half going to Bermuda and back from Cape Liberty can be a dice toss as to whether it's smooth or rough sailing in a bigger ship, so I have to wonder what it will be like on the smaller Journey.:(

Bermuda is a wonderful cruise. We have done it several times and had a great time on Zenith. But sorry, I don't care how deluxe Journey will make this cruise experience (they can dip my body in gold and stud it with jewels-:D )and it still will not be worth the over double price that it will now be! Sorry for the visual, but this cruise is now putting the price in the same category as a land vacation to Bermuda or a cruise to Europe for us and it's just ridiculous IMO.

They may easily replace all these past cruisers like myself and Brooklyngal with others willing to pay for the experience, but ironically I have not spoken to anyone who has done this cruise in the past interested in repeating it now at these inflated prices.:cool:

aussiedisneyfan,

IIRC, Renaissance Cruises had an "adults only" policy and, in any case, built the ships of the R1 class with NO facilities whatsoever for children, youth, or teens. During my cruise to "French Polynesia and Samoa" aboard MV Tahitian Princess (nee MV R4) in March 2003, the ship used the card/game room as a teen center due to the large number of teens on that sailing. I have absolutely no idea what plans Celebrity may or may not have to provide dedicated facilities for children aboard MV Celebrity Journey (nee MV R6). Celebrity has annonced that MV Celebrity Journey will join the "Celebrity Xpeditions" fleet after her inaugural season in Bermuda, though, so it's likely that the company does not plan to provide dedicated facilities on the thinking that the more exotic destinations of the "Celebrity Xpeditions" brand won't attract many children.

That said, I would not worry too much about dedicated centers. If there's more than a few children onboard, the ship will have professional counsellors who commandeer spaces such as the card and game room to run programs for various age groups. If not, your children will find plenty of amusements to entertain themselves for the time the ship is at sea between the pool, gamse, shuffleboard, and other faciliteis and activities that will be open to them.

OTOH, I doubt that you could possibly have seen everything that you want to see of Alaska. I should also mention that Celebrity does offer some shorter cruises (seven to ten nights) in Europs on ships that do have children's faciliteis.

Norm.

Thanks for the answers everyone.

Rev22:17, I know there is more Alaska, we would actually like to do the marine highway one day at our leisure. Our cruise certificate is not valid for European cruises. Would love to do one of those. My in-laws are in Amsterdam so we have the perfect base.

aussiedisneyfan,

I know there is more Alaska, we would actually like to do the marine highway one day at our leisure. Our cruise certificate is not valid for European cruises. Would love to do one of those. My in-laws are in Amsterdam so we have the perfect base.

Sorry. I did not realize that you have a certificate for a free cruise. What are the actual restrictions in your certificate?

Norm.

That day and a half going to Bermuda and back from Cape Liberty can be a dice toss as to whether it's smooth or rough sailing in a bigger ship, so I have to wonder what it will be like on the smaller Journey.:(

Bermuda is a wonderful cruise. We have done it several times and had a great time on Zenith. But sorry, I don't care how deluxe Journey will make this cruise experience (they can dip my body in gold and stud it with jewels-:D )and it still will not be worth the over double price that it will now be! Sorry for the visual, but this cruise is now putting the price in the same category as a land vacation to Bermuda or a cruise to Europe for us and it's just ridiculous IMO.

They may easily replace all these past cruisers like myself and Brooklyngal with others willing to pay for the experience, but ironically I have not spoken to anyone who has done this cruise in the past interested in repeating it now at these inflated prices.:cool:

You are now! I'm booked for 8/18.

Actually, the price points are not that far off from what they were back in the early-mid 90's. In 2000, on the Pacific Princess, our Deluxe oceanview was $1765pp for mid-August with port and tax.

Actually, the price points are not that far off from what they were back in the early-mid 90's. In 2000, on the Pacific Princess, our Deluxe oceanview was $1765pp for mid-August with port and tax.

We've sailed to Bermuda 4 times on Zenith, all in late July or the first week in August, most recently this past summer, & have never paid more than $2750 total for 2 in a mid ship, mid deck, oceanview stateroom. That same stateroom, actualy a little smaller, in late July, is now over $4700 on Journey. I can't think of anything different that Journey can offer that justifys a 70%+ increase in fare.

But that's just me.

Does anyone know how Journey handles rough seas? Its size doesn't necessarily concern me because I once took a cruise from New York to the West Indies, during the winter, in a 33,000 ton ship that handled rough Atlantic Seas better than most mega ships, but that ship was built for transatlantic crossings and designed accordingly.

That same stateroom, actualy a little smaller, in late July, is now over $4700 on Journey. I can't think of anything different that Journey can offer that justifys a 70%+ increase in fare.

But that's just me.

I couldn't agree more. Lets also try and put this in perspective as to why anyone in their right mind would book right now (other than transferring an old booking on Zenith to Journey at the previous price):

They say that every single suite is going to have a butler. I've read it on these boards but is that in writing anywhere? NO The Celebrity web site says very little about the amenities of any of the rooms in the manner in which they describe them for other ships.

They say it is going to be similar to Expeditions which is all inclusive. I've read it on these boards but is that in writing anywhere? NO The Celebrity web site actually says that beverages and gratuities are not included.

They say there are going to be two specialty restaurants and that at this price point they would be all inclusive similar to Oceania. I've read it on these boards but is that in writing anywhere? NO The Celebrity web site actually says that specialty restaurants are not included.

The list of discrepancies could continue on as nothing on the deck plans with respect to room use/function matches anything that Celebrity has expounded in press releases and discussions with travel agents attempting to sell this ship.

Why is it that these details are not a little bit more specific at this time? They have a price so why can't they spell out (in writing on their web site) what is included such that they can rational the increased per diem over the rest of the ships. Do you think the front desk personnel would care if once on board Journey I discovered that my inside cabin did not have a butler and I brought them the press release from Dan Hanrahan indicating what I expected. I'm sure their cruise contract would dispel that notion fairly quickly.

It has been no secret that Celebrity/RCI is extremely envious of the success that Oceania has had and that they were incredibly embarassed when they were so quickly rebuffed in their attempt to take over Oceania. They moved ever so quickly after that setback to purchase Pullmantur and their R class ships in order to prevent Oceania from purchasing one or two of them for themselves (Oceania was only really interested in Pullmantur's cheaply outfitted R class ships as a last resort if they were unable to obtain the more desirable R class ships originally outfitted with all suites on the 8th deck) in a rather feeble attempt to try and mimic Oceania's success. Without having their ducks in a row Celebrity management continues to plow along and seemingly is alienating their faithful along the way. They now have to upgrade these ships by adding suites to a small portion of the 8th deck - hopefully they won't do it in the same manner that they did Century with the paper thin walls that everyone has reported being able to hear their neighbors thru.

Even though Journey is considerably more expensive than Zenith, a land based vacation at an upscale hotel in Bermuda would cost even more.

That may be true, but I still don't see the justification for the increase in fares from Zenith to Journey. Celebrity is still Celebrity, so what's different? Maybe butler service in each room? Whoop-de-do. It makes no sense to me. Engineering 101 makes all valid points.

Richsea,

I don't think we'll have 'real' details until some of us have sailed on Journey - we're only 5 months or so out and will be quick to post a detailed report. In fact, it would be fun for all of us to post questions that we have so that those of us who sail early could look for the answers. I hope that someone who sails on the 2 sailing before ours posts as soon as the ship returns so that we'll have some info before sailing on May 26th.

Some of the unrest seems to be caused by the contradictions between info on the X Web site and varied opinions/info from those on the boards. I'm anxiously waiting to form my own opinion with my own eyes.

Questions on my list thus far:

Butlers in all cabins? Functions?

Specialty restaurants? Present? Cost?

Size and layout of cabins and verandahs

Entertainment venues - type, size, crowded?

Other questions? Please post and I'll try to keep an ongoing list.

I'm anxiously waiting to form my own opinion with my own eyes.

Sheila - a beautiful destination, on a 'new' ship which is the perfect size, and such a nice time of year .... I would be anxious as well! Can't wait to hear about it :)

That may be true, but I still don't see the justification for the increase in fares from Zenith to Journey. Celebrity is still Celebrity, so what's different? Maybe butler service in each room? Whoop-de-do. It makes no sense to me. Engineering 101 makes all valid points.

You may well be right, but if they can sell their rooms at those rates, they really don't have to justify them. The smaller size of the ship and fewer passengers should provide a different ambience than what you experienced on Zenith and there are obviously a number of people who are looking for that. It may also be that the beancounters are right about the cost effectiveness of building larger and larger ships and to make a profit with smaller ships it is necessary to charge more. If we want to sail in something other than the behemoths being built today, we may have to resign ourselves to paying the premium.:)

Richsea,

I don't think we'll have 'real' details until some of us have sailed on Journey - we're only 5 months or so out and will be quick to post a detailed report. In fact, it would be fun for all of us to post questions that we have so that those of us who sail early could look for the answers. I hope that someone who sails on the 2 sailing before ours posts as soon as the ship returns so that we'll have some info before sailing on May 26th.

Some of the unrest seems to be caused by the contradictions between info on the X Web site and varied opinions/info from those on the boards. I'm anxiously waiting to form my own opinion with my own eyes.

Questions on my list thus far:

Butlers in all cabins? Functions?

Specialty restaurants? Present? Cost?

Size and layout of cabins and verandahs

Entertainment venues - type, size, crowded?

Other questions? Please post and I'll try to keep an ongoing list.

I just think that Celebrity really dropped the ball on this. I would love to be one of the lucky ones who booked Zenith & were transferred to Journey at the old cruise fare. I question paying so much when nobody seems to know exactly what they're getting for what I consider to be unreasonable.

Archived