Questions About The "New" Celebrity Journey?

Dolphins

The only way they can begin to approach being premium or even luxury for that matter is to ensure they stick with their plans for open seating in the dining room at dinner. If they revert to the fixed seating with two dining times and the singing/dancing waiters it will definitely be no different than the experience they are currently providing which is certainly rather hokie in my opinion.

I am not on the cruise to bond with my waiter. I expect service to be discreet and formal if it is to be a luxurious event.

OK, I`ll jump in here and will probably get blasted:o

Celebrity is not considered premium anymore in the industry ever since RCI took over. Sorry, but they have come down a few pegs.

Oceania is Premium Luxury........not in the same class as X.

Carnival......NCL.......RCI......Mainstream (but NCL does have the best Suites, Garden Villas, Courtyard Suites IMO)

HAL...... Princess........ X.......bordering on Premium.

We all know who the Luxury Lines are;)

Now, I just booked Journey for myself to see if X is trying to get their status back with a Premium type ship. We shall see.

Seahorse- I look forward to your review of the Celebrity Journey. I hope what they deliver justifies the price. Totally agree with you about the Courtyard Villas on NCL which certainly are in a "premium" class.

Seahorse- I look forward to your review of the Celebrity Journey. I hope what they deliver justifies the price. Totally agree with you about the Courtyard Villas on NCL which certainly are in a "premium" class.

I hope that the price is justified also. No matter what the price in luxury.........there has to be "value" in the product.

The only way they can begin to approach being premium or even luxury for that matter is to ensure they stick with their plans for open seating in the dining room at dinner. If they revert to the fixed seating with two dining times and the singing/dancing waiters it will definitely be no different than the experience they are currently providing which is certainly rather hokie in my opinion.

I am not on the cruise to bond with my waiter. I expect service to be discreet and formal if it is to be a luxurious event.

singing/dancing waiters ??? never on any Celebrity cruise I've ever experienced.

I don't think we are talking about the same cruise line here?????:confused:

singing/dancing waiters ??? never on any Celebrity cruise I've ever experienced.

On my last X cruise what really turned me off was the waiter doing napkin "tricks" with napkins, on formal night. He made a bra and a jock strap:o Not good, sorry.

So you have never experienced the baked alaska parade on Celebrity. They do it every cruise!!! Every time I see this I feel for the waiters dignity. And the happy birthday's on board - please there are always at least 5 a night and each time we have to endure the "outback" singers. Again not what I consider a luxury cruise event!!

OK, I'm confused again (nothing new, I know!:D ) I don't recall reading anything about open seating - is it specifically mentioned anywhere that you can point me to? Our reservation info on the Celebrity website refers to "Dinner Seating: Second Dining", just like it does on our Summit booking.

And I'm with you on the Baked Alaska Parade. We try to be elsewhere on that night.

Lisa

OK, I'm confused again (nothing new, I know!:D ) I don't recall reading anything about open seating - is it specifically mentioned anywhere that you can point me to? Our reservation info on the Celebrity website refers to "Dinner Seating: Second Dining", just like it does on our Summit booking.

One of the travel agents mentioned it on one of the first threads about the Journey.

It makes sense as well since the dining room holds 400 +/- and each specilaty dining holds 80 +/- and the alternate dining can probably seat in excess of 200. If they had two seatings in the main dining room it would appear more than half empty each time.

The numbers above are all based upon Oceania who also do open seating on the same ships. I can't see Celebrity doing it any other way unless they want to omit that luxurious experience. Nothing worse than sitting in a half empty dining room in my opinion.

We here at cruisecritic are so fortunate to have Norm around to enlighten us as to exactly what category cruiseline we are sailing on. Having sailed on over 30 cruises on multiple cruiselines, I know from experience that there is little difference between Celebrity, HAL, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival and NCL. I have found NCL to be the "premium" host of this group. They are the most innovative (freestyle dining) and the first to sail year round out of New York; all the others are now following in their wake. I was treated far better after only several cruises on "mainstream" NCL than I ever was after 100 days on "premium" HAL (all I ever got from them was a copper medal). If "premium" Celebrity Journey wants to charge me twice as much to go to Bermuda as "mainstream" NCL, they had better give me more than a mythical cruiseline designation, a cold towel and a glass of champagne. I've gotten numerous bottles of champagne from NCL.

Finally, today I received an E-mail from cruisecritic as follows: "Experience the Celebrity treatment on a spectacular Caribbean cruise for as little as $339." That's a premium cruise line? I assume the mainstream and budget cruiselines are charging even less?

It is not just Norm, there are many here on CC who believe the marketing myth about Celebrity. It just takes a cheap glass of champagne. They want to believe. Journey might actually be different if they come through with the amenities they are stating then it would not be in the mainstream cat. but luxury. I will wait for the reviews. It could be worth the difference if you want luxury but I don't want luxury to Bermuda, I would just fly aand stay in a hotel for those prices, and what the other cruise lines offer is similiar to Zenith which I did four times so if do Bermuda next year I will pick one of those and be fine with them unless they have a fire sale on the Journey sailings.

On my last X cruise what really turned me off was the waiter doing napkin "tricks" with napkins, on formal night. He made a bra and a jock strap:o Not good, sorry.

So one waiter turns off your attitude to X? Did you mention your waiter's lack of taste to the assistant Maitre'd... I've never heard of a cruise being spoiled by a napkin trick before:cool:

So you have never experienced the baked alaska parade on Celebrity. They do it every cruise!!! Every time I see this I feel for the waiters dignity. And the happy birthday's on board - please there are always at least 5 a night and each time we have to endure the "outback" singers. Again not what I consider a luxury cruise event!!

I did not equate the Alaska parade with a dance routine, nor birthday celebrations with singing waiters. I'm not a fan of baked Alaska but being upset by people taking a cruise to celebrate a birthday or anniversary sounds a bit like a bah humbug attitude...

I still have not seen the waiters doing a dance...

But just to summarize these two comments... Both of you feel Celebrity is not a great cruise destination because

a) one waiter makes tasteless napkin tricks

b) Celebrity has an Alaska parade and waiters sing Happy Birthday to their guests when requested to do so by these same guests... :confused:

It is not just Norm, there are many here on CC who believe the marketing myth about Celebrity. It just takes a cheap glass of champagne. They want to believe. Journey might actually be different if they come through with the amenities they are stating then it would not be in the mainstream cat. but luxury. I will wait for the reviews. It could be worth the difference if you want luxury but I don't want luxury to Bermuda, I would just fly aand stay in a hotel for those prices, and what the other cruise lines offer is similiar to Zenith which I did four times so if do Bermuda next year I will pick one of those and be fine with them unless they have a fire sale on the Journey sailings.

What I paid on the Journey you would never be able to pay on land in Bermuda (I went cheap just to experience the ship, no air either).

Most upscale people that like to cruise and still go to Bermuda, I hope, would take this cruise:)

I would be in cruise heaven if she did have open seating.

So one waiter turns off your attitude to X? Did you mention your waiter's lack of taste to the assistant Maitre'd... I've never heard of a cruise being spoiled by a napkin trick before:cool:

I did not equate the Alaska parade with a dance routine, nor birthday celebrations with singing waiters. I'm not a fan of baked Alaska but being upset by people taking a cruise to celebrate a birthday or anniversary sounds a bit like a bah humbug attitude...

But just to summarize these two comments... Both of you feel Celebrity is not a great cruise destination because

b) Celebrity has an Alaska parade and waiters sing Happy Birthday to their guests when requested to do so by these same guests... :confused:

I believe that you are putting words in my mouth and I don`t want this thread to go the wrong way:) No one said that it was not a great cruise destination. I believe almost ALL ships are a great destination:) My cruise was not "spoiled". It was an example of a mainstream experience.

I said that it put me off and X went down a peg IMO regarding the "premium" category. BTW the food was not up to par either, like in the past.

I've never had a bad cruise on any cruiseline. I just feel that Celebrity is hardly a "Premium" cruiseline and their much hyped cuisine is no better than that served on other alleged "Mainstream" cruiselines. NCL has just introduced some new menus that will easily compete with Celebrity.

What I paid on the Journey you would never be able to pay on land in Bermuda (I went cheap just to experience the ship, no air either).

Most upscale people that like to cruise and still go to Bermuda, I hope, would take this cruise:)

I would be in cruise heaven if she did have open seating.

If cheap is available that will solve the problem. I spent $1100 total for an outside cabin on Zenith this September last minute pricing during hurricane season. I would be willing to spend $1200 or $1300 for that time of year last minute pricing :-)

If I take a luxury cruise I would not do it to Bermuda. Bermuda sailings are not like most other cruises. They are a real destination cruise and you use the ship as your hotel. I don't spend much time on the ship or doing the ships activities. I like Bermuda and do activiites on shore. The ship itself is of lessor importance. I would never cruise on the Zenith or any of those other ships, NCL Crown, Empress of the Seas except to Bermuda. So as I see it the only value of taking a seven day cruise to Bermuda over flying and staying in a hotel is the value of cruising there as opposed to a hotel. Take away the value, all the mainstream ships like Zenith, Crown, Empress, I will stay in a hotel Bermuda or I won't go to Bermuda if the hotel prices are too high. I am not opposed to luxury cruises. I am not opposed to Celebrity starting a luxury division. If the reviews of Journey are good I would consider it for a luxury cruise but not to Bermuda. I just don't think a seven day Bermuda cruise is the best type of itinerary for a luxury cruise.

From conversations we had last week, it is expected for the initial Bermuda/repo run down to MIA, it will be two dinner seatings. After that, open.

There is a market for the Journey to Bermuda. As was pointed out in our seminar, it probably won't be internet surfers looking for Happy Hour rates in off season. It will be a different market, those who prefer to travel in newer ships, with higher levels of service on much smaller ships. Some agents have these types of clients, others don't. This ship will serve a niche market, not necessarily the Celebrity repeaters market. Similar to Xpeditions.

I'm not here to sell anyone on any cruiseline. As a frequent cruiser I'm just glad that we have the choice of cruise destinations that the market offers.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

Some people like X for the consistency (even though not as great as it used to be) from ship to ship. I believe X will use Journey as an experiment to see what a certain segment of their traditional market is willing to pay for a different experience. If Journey sells out at a higher ticket price than other X ships, then they have the market figured out. If tickets start selling at a discount (my kind of market) than I'll be happy. For others who like their own style of meat/poison... wonderful. You'll be happy too. The worst thing for Celebrity, IMO, is that they copy anything from NCL. I like NCL passengers right where they are.... that makes them happy and cruisers who prefer a more formal and traditional cruise as well. I think it's the difference in ships that satisfies such a large cruising market. If there was only one choice the market would be much smaller. Carnival, Princess, HAL, RCL, NCL, Celebrity, Costa, MCL, and the Luxury lines have all picked their segment of the market by doing things differently.

I've booked my 14 day Journey repo cruise because it is different and goes to some new ports.... and I'm happy with the price.

but being upset by people taking a cruise to celebrate a birthday or anniversary sounds a bit like a bah humbug attitude...

I think you totally missed the concept of the post.

In a luxury/premium restaurant you just don't see waiters gathering around a table to sing happy birthday nor do they dim the lights and prance around with baked alaska on their heads. This has nothing to do with liking or disliking Celebrity but rather what one would expect in a luxury setting.

I certainly have no objection to celebrating events on a ship and have done so myself - just without the fan fare.

The worst thing for Celebrity, IMO, is that they copy anything from NCL. I like NCL passengers right where they are.... .

That statement is too funny:D Is this the snobbery that I keep hearing about :rolleyes:

Most of your higher end cruise lines have open seating and NCL has found a niche for this in the mainstream market.....thank goodness. X and RCI are archaic in the industry regarding their rigid policies.

For me to sail on NCL in a suite that has greater value then other lines with open seating is a no-brainier to me, a long time sophisticated cruiser:) BTW, I will be sailing Oceania on a transatlantic to enjoy the ship....the higher level if service...... great food with open seating:)

If tickets start selling at a discount (my kind of market) than I'll be happy.

And what sort of experience do you think you will get then. Discounting cruises mean cutting costs somewhere else to make the bottom line work. You already have Galaxy selling at extremely low per diems with Mercury not that far behind. Now with the onset of three ships carrying almost 3000 passengers each where do you truly think the quality of Celebrity is headed.

If I were you I would be careful what you say about NCL. At this point in time they are certainly more of a premium line than Celebrity. Celebrity service and experience has been on a downward spiral for some time and they have definitely been caught and passed by their competitors.

Caines Rule,

One of the travel agents mentioned it on one of the first threads about the Journey.

It makes sense as well since the dining room holds 400 +/- and each specilaty dining holds 80 +/- and the alternate dining can probably seat in excess of 200. If they had two seatings in the main dining room it would appear more than half empty each time.

The numbers above are all based upon Oceania who also do open seating on the same ships. I can't see Celebrity doing it any other way unless they want to omit that luxurious experience. Nothing worse than sitting in a half empty dining room in my opinion.

It's true that Renaissance Cruises operated open seating in the main dining room ("Club Restaurant") and both specialty restaurants (grille and Italian) aboard the R1 class of vessels. Nonetheless, when Princess Cruises introduced MV Pacific Princess (nee MV R3) and MV Tahitian Princess (nee MV R4), the main dining room went to traditional dining with assigned tables at first and second seatings on both vessels. I expect that the new MV Royal Princess (nee MV R8) offers the same arrangement. These ships have not attempted to offer the "Anytime Dining" option that Princess offers on all vessels that have two or more main dining rooms. The grille became the "Sterling Steakhouse" and the Italian restaurant became "Sabatini's Trattoria" when these vessels joined Princess's fleet. During my cruise aboard MV Tahitian Princess (March 2003), these restaurants operated on alternate evenings so only one was open each night.

I would be very surprised if Celebrity Cruises maintains open seating in the main dining room of MV Celebrity Journey, as Celebrity Cruises has not shown any indication whatsoever of movement in that direction. What's less clear is what will become of the ship's specialty restaurants. A steak house and an Italian restaurant would not be consistent with Celebrity's tradition of very upscale specialty restaurants. The press release also indicated that there's some reconfiguration going on. Thus, I'm wondering if Celebrity might be reconfiguring the area to provide just one specialty restaurant that would be similar to the other specialty restaurants on Celebrity's ships.

Norm.

From conversations we had last week, it is expected for the initial Bermuda/repo run down to MIA, it will be two dinner seatings. After that, open.

There is a market for the Journey to Bermuda. As was pointed out in our seminar, it probably won't be internet surfers looking for Happy Hour rates in off season. It will be a different market, those who prefer to travel in newer ships, with higher levels of service on much smaller ships. Some agents have these types of clients, others don't. This ship will serve a niche market, not necessarily the Celebrity repeaters market. Similar to Xpeditions.

They built a loyal market of cruisers and families going to Bermuda on Horizon and Zenith every summer. Those folks also booked other Celebrity cruises. The happy hour specials topped off only a few sailings in the hurricane season. Many people went every year to Bermuda, some more than once. Most were not paying happy hour or rock bottom prices. So now they are saying heck with their repeaters and loyal customers and sell to a different market? Those customers will remember and become some other cruise lines customers. They will do the Princess and HAL cruises out of Brooklyn or the NCL cruises. Or some other cruise line will fill the niche that Celebrity is giving up.

If I were you I would be careful what you say about NCL. At this point in time they are certainly more of a premium line than Celebrity.

IS that why NCL have been put on credit watch?... because they provide an experience superior to Celebrity? NCL ships charge less for cabins on new ships because they can't get passengers any other way. X charges less for their cabins on older ships such as Galaxy, Zenith and Mercury because all three require refurbishment.

As I said before people who like X's product sail on X. People who prefer to sail on NCL do so because they prefer the NCL product. I don't think there are many who prefer both.

I would be very surprised if Celebrity Cruises maintains open seating in the main dining room of MV Celebrity Journey, as Celebrity Cruises has not shown any indication whatsoever of movement in that direction. What's less clear is what will become of the ship's specialty restaurants. A steak house and an Italian restaurant would not be consistent with Celebrity's tradition of very upscale specialty restaurants. The press release also indicated that there's some reconfiguration going on. Thus, I'm wondering if Celebrity might be reconfiguring the area to provide just one specialty restaurant that would be similar to the other specialty restaurants on Celebrity's ships.

Interesting thought. I would have hoped they would somehow find a way to mimic what Oceania has done. Their dining room is very elegant and open seating. They do have a steakhouse and italian restuarant operating each evening that are very upscale in my opinion and then the buffet is transformed into a Tapas restuarant each evening as well with dining under the stars if you wish.

Since RCI attempted to go after Oceania, only to be turned down quickly, one would have assumed they were envious of the extremely high achievments Oceania has made in such a very short period of time.

IS that why NCL have been put on credit watch?... because they provide an experience superior to Celebrity? NCL ships charge less for cabins on new ships because they can't get passengers any other way. X charges less for their cabins on older ships such as Galaxy, Zenith and Mercury because all three require refurbishment.

As I said before people who like X's product sail on X. People who prefer to sail on NCL do so because they prefer the NCL product. I don't think there are many who prefer both.

It has nothing to do with the experience they provide. They were placed on credit watch because they ordered two new ships. RCI and Celebrity are also heavily in debt. The Carnival group has the best credit ratings. Does that mean they provide the best experience? I don't think you would say so.......

Interesting thought. I would have hoped they would somehow find a way to mimic what Oceania has done. Their dining room is very elegant and open seating. They do have a steakhouse and italian restuarant operating each evening that are very upscale in my opinion and then the buffet is transformed into a Tapas restuarant each evening as well with dining under the stars if you wish.

Since RCI attempted to go after Oceania, only to be turned down quickly, one would have assumed they were envious of the extremely high achievments Oceania has made in such a very short period of time.

And since they could not aquire Oceania it appears they have decided to clone Oceania and compete directly against them down to the same type ship. They will use their scale as a larger company to try and wipe Oceania out of business.

Archived