boston - how far is the dock from the city?

chillywilly

is boston an easy port to do 'on our own'? not sure where the ship docks & what options we'd have...do we need to catch a cab into the city? and are they available? or are there shuttles? or can we walk?

(we're on the grand princess)

thanks ahead of time for your help!

The Black Falcon Cruise Terminal is not within walking distance to the sites in the city. You can take a bus from the terminal to one of the T stations (which wouldnt be the best way to do it) or you can take a cab (which would be much easier). From what I hear, they will be lined up waiting for you at the terminal. I have not heard of a shuttle or anything although I did hear something about trolly tours leaving from the cruise terminal. I did a little bit of looking around for these, but wasnt able to find any. We need to get into town pretty quickly since we have a tour booked with an outside company, so I called the vistors bureau and was told that it would be about a $10 cab ride if traffic works in our favor. Apparently, it is only about a 10 - 15 minute ride. Not sure how reliable that rate is, but if its only that far, it cant be too terrible of a taxi fare.

Hope this helps!

~Carey

Some cruise lines provide a shuttle service from the dock to the downtown area. On our Maasdam cruise this fall they did that although they didn't tell us about it until the morning of the cruise. There are several different hop-on hop-off tourist buses that move around Boston and allow you to get some rest between the stops. We used them to get to the US Constitution and Boston Navy Yard. Our tickets also included a harbor cruise that provided a different view of Boston. We walked most of the Freedom trail. That is well worth doing and seeing if you are into history.

Have a great next cruise.

Actually, I think that going from the cruise terminal, which is actually in South Boston, into Boston is very walkable. Of course, it depends on your definition of walkable. I go to Boston often and I walk the city. I would say that it talks about 15-20 minutes to get from the terminal to South Station. From there it is only 10 minutes to Fanuel Hall or to Boston Commons where you could pick up the Freedom Trail if you chose to.

A cab can probably get you to Boston Commons within 10 minutes if traffic isn't an issue. Once you get into the city it is very easy to do on your own. Self guided walking tours of Boston, in my opinion, are the best way to see the city. Just plan ahaead of time and know what you want to do and see. You could waste a lot of time if you don't have a plan. Boston is not laid out in grids as NYC is so it can be a bit confusing if you don't study a map. However, the city blocks are nowhere near as long as in NYC so things really are not very far apart.

I agree with Ocean Boy. You are not far walking if you can do it as he suggested it. It may even be quicker depending on traffic. You definitely need a plan. There is so much to see that you want to be sure you get to do what you want. Fanuel Hall is a great place to go and once there there are taxis and busses to take you every where. There are also T stations on the way that if you decide can take you farther around the city. Boston Common and Public Gardens are definitely must sees and not far from Fanuel Hall. Paul Revere's House is also just across the Big Dig and in the North End, not 5 mins from Fanuel Hall/Quincy Market - walking. You want to see Fenway Park, I suggest a cab as it is at the other end of town. Newbury Street is a long street, but lots of intersting shops and high end boutiques. There are cabs everywhere and the T is the subway system. You can do a DuckTour which shows you the city and are a lot of fun (you would need to get to the Prudential Center - a cab ride is best). Swan Boats in the Public Garden is a very nice thing. There is so much. But the city is definitely a "do on your own" if you wish. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We were just in Boston last week on the Regal Princess and we did walk from the pier area to Downtown. There were about 20 people I noticed walking. The cabs were very expensive. Boston is very easy to walk around, also they have a great metro system both buses and subways. There is a bus that picks up just a couple of blocks from the pier that you can take into Boston. Or if you walk to the South Station you can take the subways or just continue your walk. We bought a one day metro pass we went to Fenway Park we used it to take a ferry boat and several quick subway trips across town. We then took a bus back to the pier area. We did lots of walking that day but with the pass we were able to get all over Boston quickly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We are thinking of taking a Bermuda cruise and have heard horror stories about New York. Since I would prefer a 6 or 7 day cruise cancels out RCCL out of New Jersey. Most likely we will be flying in the day of the cruise and flying out the day we return from the cruise. I would like reasonable check-in procedures (ie no 2-3 hour wait) and the ability to get a cab from the port to the airport with minor inconviences (the biggest problem I have heard about New York is the cabs upon your returning.)

gsb,

SOOO glad to hear that Boston is up there with New Orleans as far as "on your own" cities.

New Orleans is my favorite city so far :)

Bobbie

Happy Mardi Gras, We too like NOLA:D and we loved Boston, easy to get around, great city.

SanFran proved to be our favorite port, h'mmmm, come to think of it, we left our hearts in SanFran, going back in May to get them;)

the airport is very very close to the cruise terminal.....they have built some wonderful new roads in boston that get you in and out of the airport quickly..i live within site of the black falcon terminal......go over all the time to see the ship! (when in season)from the airport to terminal could be 10 minutes with traffic.....about 15 dollar ride for all with luggage.....depending how many people are with you i tip per bag.....getting off ship should have no problem getting a taxi cab.....they are always around when ships are in port if you have a cell phone call independant taxi operators assn # 1-617-426-8700 or # 1-617-825-4000 and you can have a cab there by the time you get off the ship....i fly and or cruise alot and never ever have a problem getting a cab from airport......have never sailed out of boston though......think i might this spring and save on airfare and put it towards a better cabin :D ................enjoy you're cruise ............stephanie from bean town lol (boston)

• 3 weeks later...

19Stephanie66

I see you're from Boston, and since I've never been to Boston, I was hoping you would be able to share some information. I am looking for any advice on the Hampton hotel in Boston. It's one mile from Logan airport from what I understand. The exact address is 230 LeeBurbank Highway

Revere Mass 02151.... Would you or anyone know how far this is from the Black Falcon Cruise port and approximately how much would it cost to taxi from this hotel to the pier? I did search the boards but was unable to find any information on this hotel, so any information would be really helpful. I've never been to Boston so again, any information or advice would be extremely helpful.

Hi 19Stephanie66

I see you're from Boston, and since I've never been to Boston, I was hoping you would be able to share some information. I am looking for any advice on the Hampton hotel in Boston. It's one mile from Logan airport from what I understand. The exact address is 230 LeeBurbank Highway

Revere Mass 02151.... Would you or anyone know how far this is from the Black Falcon Cruise port and approximately how much would it cost to taxi from this hotel to the pier? I did search the boards but was unable to find any information on this hotel, so any information would be really helpful. I've never been to Boston so again, any information or advice would be extremely helpful.

• 1 month later...

Your best bet is to stay in a hotel in Boston proper. Revere is 1 mile from Logan but nowhere near anything you'll want to see in Boston. One reasonable hotel that is in the middle of everything is the Omni Parker House. You can probably book it for around $200 a night. It's smack dab in the middle of the Freedom Trail and easy walking distance to Quincy Market, the Common, and the Public Gardens. Also where the Parker House Roll was invented. It's a historic hotel so it's of interest for tourists too. I don't think cab fare would be exhorbitant to Black Falcon. The Marriot Long Wharf and Boston Harbor Hotel are closer to the pier in Southie and may offer some type of shuttle service but the Long Wharf will probably be over $200 and the Boston Harbor Hotel will probably run you close to $350.

• 4 months later...

"To clarify a question from OP, the pier is definitely IN the city AND within a reasonable walking distance from those who don't mind to walk."

It's about 1.5 miles from Black Falcon to South Station, and about the same to Fanueil Hall. And I think the OP probably doesn't care anymore as I think they took the cruise a year ago! :p

This may be a little off topic but we're staying pre-cruise at the Hyatt Harborside Hotel on the airport side of Boston and there is a water taxi stop there with the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal across the bay. Does anyone have an idea of what the cost of a water taxi would be versus taking a land taxi?

Finally received a reply from the water taxi people. They said it would be $15 per person. May be a little more than a regular taxi but we figure it'll be like a mini-tour of the bay on the way to the cruise terminal.:D

"To clarify a question from OP, the pier is definitely IN the city AND within a reasonable walking distance from those who don't mind to walk."

It's about 1.5 miles from Black Falcon to South Station, and about the same to Fanueil Hall. And I think the OP probably doesn't care anymore as I think they took the cruise a year ago! :p

They might not care, but someone else reading the thread before their own cruise might!:)

Archived