CRUISE LINE Single Supplement Bargains -- Post Here

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

Marie, that IS a deal...wow! Glad you could take advantage of it.

I probably won't be cruising again until next fall at the earliest. I had oral surgery this past summer (most of it not covered by insurance) and then I lost half of giant tree in my backyard due to the drought. Lots of unplanned for expenses.

Roz

Thanks for the update Lois R. And WELCOME HOME.

I'm hoping to get in on one of the special offers you mentioned and get back on a Celebrity cruise myself sometime soon. They are the BEST aren't they?

Island Annie

Okay, guys. I have to check out Celebrity.

Question: Again, the only cruising I've done is 4 days at the tail end of my Greek Islands land vacation (which REALLY whetted my appetite) so I'm completely ignorant about how the whole meals thing works on various cruises/cruise lines. How does it work on Celebrity? Are meals included? Some but not all? Can you Celebrity fans clue me in? Their website didn't help me at all. But I'm excited at the prospect of a sensible single supplement.

I saw a Celebrity ship docked near my ship in Turkey and could not believe THE SIZE OF THAT THING! I figure a lot of fun stuff has to happen on a ship that size.

I think the person means Fort Lauderdale. In that case, it is about 30-40 miles away.

agree patty.... she mentioned Ft Lauderdale first and everything else she mentions points to FLL as well.

I've given consideration to doing something similar (but usualy same port; possibly same ship)..................... tired in chgo............

Nancy

Cibrian-

I think you'll have all your questions answered, and then some, over on the Celebrity board. It's my favorite line -- if you like a little extra elegance with your mass-market cruise, Celebrity is a nice line to start with. Unfortunately, Celebrity is not generous with their single supplements.

Roz,

I found an excellent solo price for the Oosterdam, Feb. 9, 2008. It's the same sailing as the Yum-Yums. $764 total with $25 obc, and champagne. For an N inside. I took the guarantee. Great solo price for HAL. Any chance you may join us?

Marie

Thanks for posting. Great deal. I booked the January 12, 2008, sailing with the same extras for about $810 outside guarantee. I'm really glad to be back 'home' sailing Holland America in January.

Okay, guys. I have to check out Celebrity.

Question: Again, the only cruising I've done is 4 days at the tail end of my Greek Islands land vacation (which REALLY whetted my appetite) so I'm completely ignorant about how the whole meals thing works on various cruises/cruise lines. How does it work on Celebrity? Are meals included? Some but not all? Can you Celebrity fans clue me in? Their website didn't help me at all. But I'm excited at the prospect of a sensible single supplement.

I saw a Celebrity ship docked near my ship in Turkey and could not believe THE SIZE OF THAT THING! I figure a lot of fun stuff has to happen on a ship that size.

Hi, you might check out the Celebrity board.:) I sail solo but

there have not been any deals on pricing in over a year (my best

guess). I pay double or what would be 200%

But I love the line and will be going on a short one again with them

next month:) and I always prefer to have my own cabin.

Yes, your meals are included in the main dining room..breakfast,

lunch and dinner.

The M class ships also have "Specialty Restaurants" which are

30.00 per person. Very elegant....like a 5Star restaurant at home.

and the service and food (in my opinion) are top notch.

You probably saw Millennium or Century as both of those ships

are in Europe now.

Again, pop over to the Celebrity forum and you can find lots

of information on it.:)

How do you check the single-supplement pricing on the cruises without calling a travel agent and asking for each cruise individually? Is there a place to go on the individual websites to see what the supplement will be?

Hi,:) checking pricing? Most of the cruiselines websites have menus

where you can put how many people are on the sailing.

You would find which cruise you are looking for and at that point

when it asks for how many pax....(1) it will normally tell you how much

it will cost. (It does that on the Royal Caribbean and Celebrity websites).

It doesn't tell you the supplement % but gives you the amount

in $$$. You would put your cabin in...the cabin category is what the price

matches.

• 3 weeks later...
Celebrity has a great rate for Mercury 12 day 3-16-08 sailing.

Check it out! :)

Celebrity has good senior rates again for Mercury in Hawai'i (if that works for you).

It's 12 nights, with 7 days in Hawai'i and 5 sea days back to the mainland. 7 days in Hawai'i is more than most (non-NCL) cruises which are usually 15 nights, with only 5 days in Hawaii, and 5 sea days on each end.

It starts in Honolulu and ends in Ensenada, Mexico. You debark in Ensenada, but NCL has a transfer from there to San Diego airport, so you're not stuck in Mexico.

The itinerary is as good as I've seen (other than NCL), with 2 day overnights at all the best ports (Honolulu, Lahaina, and Kailua-Kona), plus a day at Hilo. That's 2 days on Oah'u, 2 days on Maui, and 3 days on the Big Island!

One note, Lahaina and Kailua-Kona are both tender ports, so that's 4 days of tendering, if that's an issue for you (personally I love tendering) -- but these ports are charming, and would not be nearly so if they had big ship piers.

This is a good cruise at good prices, so I thought I'd post again.

Ryan, You said excellent senior rate, did you mean single rate? Also you said NCL has shuttle to airport, dd you mean X? Did this one way years ago; they bussed us from S.D. down to Ensenada. I am considering this as single & would appreciate details, esp. cost. Also, is shuttle included? Thank you.

Ryan, You said excellent senior rate, did you mean single rate? Also you said NCL has shuttle to airport, dd you mean X? Did this one way years ago; they bussed us from S.D. down to Ensenada. I am considering this as single & would appreciate details, esp. cost. Also, is shuttle included? Thank you.

Sorry for the mistake ... yes it's Celebrity with the shuttle from Ensenada to San Diego airport ... cost is $85.

I did mean senior rate, and also single occupancy ... right now they are showing approx. $1309 single occupancy, senior rate ($1609 single non-senior) for inside. Also around $1750 for senior & single occupancy oceanview (around $2000 single occupancy non-senior oceanview).

I paid $1337 with tax for inside (and it's NOT the worst inside category), plus got pre-paid grats from my TA, which gets my price down to about $100 a day. Not bad for single occupancy on Celebrity.

If you've priced hotels in Hawai'i, you know there's no way you can go to Hawai'i and get an oceanfront, first class room, with all meals, plus entertainment, that even carries you to the different islands, for $100 a day!!!!!!! Even the non-senior rate is less than $150 a day for an inside cabin.

BTW, if you have not stood on a ship, off the shore from Lahaina, Maui, you have to see it ... picture emerald green slopes, rising up to a mist shrouded mountain ... I expected to hear or see King Kong at any moment. :rolleyes: It's like a Hollywood prop, but REAL.

And the activities available are incredible ... climbing and hiking mountains, forests, volcanoes; enjoying jaw dropping waterfalls, snorkeling, seeing flora of all types, visiting historical and cultural sites (you gotta see the one near Kona), shopping, luau's, hula, walking on the beach, swimming, learning about "Aloha" .... and if you like rainbows! there's a reason they call it the rainbow state!

OK, I'm throwing the hook ... who's gonna bite? :cool:

Sorry for the mistake ... yes it's Celebrity with the shuttle from Ensenada to San Diego airport ... cost is $85.

I did mean senior rate, and also single occupancy ... right now they are showing approx. $1309 single occupancy, senior rate ($1609 single non-senior) for inside. Also around $1750 for senior & single occupancy oceanview (around $2000 single occupancy non-senior oceanview).

I paid $1337 with tax for inside (and it's NOT the worst inside category), plus got pre-paid grats from my TA, which gets my price down to about $100 a day. Not bad for single occupancy on Celebrity.

If you've priced hotels in Hawai'i, you know there's no way you can go to Hawai'i and get an oceanfront, first class room, with all meals, plus entertainment, that even carries you to the different islands, for $100 a day!!!!!!! Even the non-senior rate is less than $150 a day for an inside cabin.

BTW, if you have not stood on a ship, off the shore from Lahaina, Maui, you have to see it ... picture emerald green slopes, rising up to a mist shrouded mountain ... I expected to hear or see King Kong at any moment. :rolleyes: It's like a Hollywood prop, but REAL.

And the activities available are incredible ... climbing and hiking mountains, forests, volcanoes; enjoying jaw dropping waterfalls, snorkeling, seeing flora of all types, visiting historical and cultural sites (you gotta see the one near Kona), shopping, luau's, hula, walking on the beach, swimming, learning about "Aloha" .... and if you like rainbows! there's a reason they call it the rainbow state!

OK, I'm throwing the hook ... who's gonna bite? :cool:

OK.. I'm nibbling..........:p

How much is the airfare?

This really does look great but I'm wondering how much extra moolah one would have to fork over to do things on the islands?

Winnie <-------> on fixed income :o

How much is the airfare?

This really does look great but I'm wondering how much extra moolah one would have to fork over to do things on the islands?

The airfare depends on where you are flying from.

I'm figuring ALL my expenses (e.g. parking at the airport while I'm gone, the $60 fuel surcharge, the $85 transfer to San Diego, one-way airfare from San Diego to Honolulu [i live in San Diego so I'll be home when we transfer there], ship excursions ... everything), at about $3000.

Please remember the following from our Guidelines:

Answer Postings on the Boards, Not in E-mail

Please try to answer message board posts on the boards instead of E-mail when appropriate. There is a lot of great information that we're all missing because it is passing through private E-mail. There are of course times when private E-mail is more appropriate but if you have information that would be helpful to many people, please try to come back to the boards and post it rather than replying to a posting through E-mail.

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to all.

Kat 110105_emYA10_prv.gif

'Tis the season to be jolly...

Ryan, ... Where did you get your excellent single pricing?

Here is a good strategy to use sometimes ... go to Celebrity.com, find the cruise, go to "book now", put 1 passenger, age, & state, then the fares will be displayed. IMPORTANT: there will be tabs saying "inside" "oceanview" etc. -- the "inside" tab will say $1609-1629 ... you have to click on that tab, before the senior rates will appear, which will be, at this time, $1329 and $1349.

Book a cabin, I think there is no cancellation fee if you decide to cancel for any reason. If you are like me and look on the deck plans to see where the cabins are located, and if you don't like any of the cabin locations, don't hesitate to call Celebrity, as they don't always show all the cabins that are available.

After booking with Celebrity, THEN, if you want to, you can contact some travel agencies and try to get some perks (pre-paid grats and/or on board credit). If you do, you can transfer the reservation to the agency; if you don't find any extra perks anywhere, and you don't want to go without them, then you can cancel from Celebrity with no cancellation fee. Note: once you transfer your reservation to an agency, most will charge you a cancellation fee if you later cancel ... but some do not.

Finally ... to Kat ... it's Cruise Critic's fault we are not allowed to give information about travel agencies on the boards -- even agencies that advertise on Cruise Critic and hope to get business from CC bloggers are not allowed to be mentioned. No offense, but I think in light of CC's policy prohibiting useful information about travel agencies, your post is more than a bit disingenuous.

Winnie:

Might try an SWA / ATA flight over there starting from SEA and transfering OAK or SFO. Takes a bit of digging around but you can find a sweet spot for flights. I travelled cheap enough this summer to take a day trip to Hawaii from Texas.:D

How much is the airfare?

Winnie:

Might try an SWA / ATA flight over there starting from SEA and transfering OAK or SFO. Takes a bit of digging around but you can find a sweet spot for flights. I travelled cheap enough this summer to take a day trip to Hawaii from Texas.:D

Thanks DiveMaster and Ryan! I'm getting fairly good at finding bargains thanks to this thread! Kudo's to the OP. :)

Winnie <--------> thinks she can pull this off without too much damage to coin purse:D

If you're the adventurous type, M/V Discovery has NO single supplement and free air. It's the best deal I've ever found for Antarctica. I leave 12/12 solo!

WOW, this sounds great. Have a wonderful time.

Also, if anyone is interested HAL has a very good solo rate on the 24 night TA Prisendam cruise Oct. 30,2008. There is one R solo cabin open, and that is the deal. There are 3 cabins on the ship exclusively for solo travelers so they are a great rate(relatively speaking). I was originally booked in this particular cabin but an oceanview solo cabin came up and I upgraded. Also, the HAL site is quite a bit higher than what you can find shopping around.

The Prisendam only holds 800 passengers and is suppose to be a wonderful experience. Also, we have a lovely group of CC'ers already posting. The itinerary is awesome, check it out!!

Marie

Hi Marie, nice to see you again:)

24 nights?, as a working person there is no way I can take

that kind of time off in one stretch:eek: ...it will be at least 15 years

before I could do a cruise like that......oh well.

Thankfully I can still cruise 2-3 times a year at this point in

my life:)

Enjoy your cruise:)

Archived