Outside Balcony Free Upgrades

Mark

OK RCCL cruisers...here is the question that I need your expertise on

I am considering booking a May 20 Mariner Outside Balcony Cabin.

As a Diamond member of RCCl, how many or how much of a free upgrade can I expect to get when booking such a cabin?

Is there any way to get an upgrade into a Junior Suite without paying the going rate?

Please advise if you have any experience with this and can share to save me a few $$$.

Thanks

I am confused. I am not aware of any upgrades for diamond members for booking a balcony cabin. There is the discount for being a Diamond member, and also if you book a guarenttee balcony, you have a Chance of an upgrade. I am diamond,booked many balcony cabins and Never was upgraded, not even for a B2B cruise in a balcony cabin. If there is a perk like this, I'd like to know about it.

well you have me beat since I am only Diamond...but I will still try to pursue it....I know Carnival gives one or two level upgrades to past customers...or at least they did to me in the past...so I figure that RCCL must give something to Diamond members? Will let you know...thanks

Well, good luck with that on RCCL, Mark.....the others are trying to tell you something. RCCL is very stingy with upgrades.

I was specifically told by a loyalty ambassador that one of the perks of reaching the Diamond + level was that upgrades were given "free of charge" but had to be requested once on board the ship from guest relations. This of course is based on availability. I will put this information to the test once I reach that level.

I was specifically told by a loyalty ambassador that one of the perks of reaching the Diamond + level was that upgrades were given "free of charge" but had to be requested once on board the ship from guest relations. This of course is based on availability. I will put this information to the test once I reach that level.

You are quoting for D+ and OP is only Diamond. I never heard of "upgrades" for Diamond--only the $200 balcony discount.

KG, I am Diamond Plus and will tell you that upgrades are few and far between for us. The process is supposed to be that C&A DP desk will call you two weeks prior to departure to ask what amenity you want and to offer an upgrade if one is available. Out of seven cruises as D+ we have been upgraded twice, with the last one, a difficult fight. They hold back 5 cabins of each category for last minute sales. Good luck.

well you have me beat since I am only Diamond...but I will still try to pursue it....I know Carnival gives one or two level upgrades to past customers...or at least they did to me in the past...so I figure that RCCL must give something to Diamond members? Will let you know...thanks
Not balcony to suites they don't. RCL has no such upgrade program. Diamond plus members can get upgrades under certain conditions.

KG, I am Diamond Plus and will tell you that upgrades are few and far between for us. The process is supposed to be that C&A DP desk will call you two weeks prior to departure to ask what amenity you want and to offer an upgrade if one is available. Out of seven cruises as D+ we have been upgraded twice, with the last one, a difficult fight. They hold back 5 cabins of each category for last minute sales. Good luck.

Sanjose, from reading your previous posts I can tell you don't think D+ is that big of an upgrade over Diamond. I really think this is something that needs to be corrected by Royal. Loyal passengers achieving 24+ cruise credits are certainly more deserving of extra perks compared to those with 10+. JMHO.

Loyal passengers achieving 24+ cruise credits are certainly more deserving of extra perks compared to those with 10+. JMHO.

I agree!!:)

to the OP............only DP members have slight chance of upgrades....not Diamond..............You have a better chance of a free upgrade if you are new to RCCL.........:rolleyes:

Anthony, the loyalty ambassador either gave you incorrect information or you misunderstood what you were told. Within a few weeks of your cruise, if you are a Diamond plus member, you can call Crown and Anchor and request a free upgrade. If there is a minimum number of staterooms(I think it is three, but am not sure of the exact number)available at that time in the higher catefory, you can receive the upgrade at no extra cost. Freqently though, it turns out that there are either not enough rooms still available, or there are other Diamond plus members with more cruise credits who have priority. We have been fortunate on one occasion to be upgraded from a D1 to an Owner's suite, but it doesn't happen every time we sail. I definitely wouldn't wait until boarding to make my request.:)

Anthony, the loyalty ambassador either gave you incorrect information or you misunderstood what you were told. Within a few weeks of your cruise, if you are a Diamond plus member, you can call Crown and Anchor and request a free upgrade. If there is a minimum number of staterooms(I think it is three, but am not sure of the exact number)available at that time in the higher catefory, you can receive the upgrade at no extra cost. Freqently though, it turns out that there are either not enough rooms still available, or there are other Diamond plus members with more cruise credits who have priority. We have been fortunate on one occasion to be upgraded from a D1 to an Owner's suite, but it doesn't happen every time we sail. I definitely wouldn't wait until boarding to make my request.:)

Thank you for clarifying the information Bill. I'm sure it will come in handy after we achieve Diamond + status. :)

If there is a minimum number of staterooms(I think it is three, but am not sure of the exact number).:)

Its 5 in each category.............i.e 5 JSs or 5 GSs or 5 OSs.......not 5 suites.....cant combine.............

We ,also got upgraded to an OS from a D1...........now that was "sweet"!:p

Its 5 in each category.............i.e 5 JSs or 5 GSs or 5 OSs.......not 5 suites.....cant combine.............

We ,also got upgraded to an OS from a D1...........now that was "sweet"!:p

Thanks for the clarification PH. I should have checked with my source before posting, but I knew someone would have the exact numbers. D1 to an OS is indeed a 'sweet' upgrade.:D

Sanjose, from reading your previous posts I can tell you don't think D+ is that big of an upgrade over Diamond. I really think this is something that needs to be corrected by Royal. Loyal passengers achieving 24+ cruise credits are certainly more deserving of extra perks compared to those with 10+. JMHO.

Well, I'll take what I can get, KG......but, the differences between D and D+, in my opinion, are not very significant if you consider that upgrades are by no means a given. They do give you an amenity onboard, like a bottle of wine, or slippers, or a towel or something like that [they used to give a flower arrangement, but they took that way late summer]. The difference between Platinum and Diamond is much more significant.

I really do believe that RCCL would like to back away from giving the perks that they do for each level....or atleast cut them back significantly.

BTW, the fight for the second upgrade was won for us by NEGC's wife. I had an upgrade, then they almost immediately took it away.....she did her magic. They have the same luck as I do with Upgrades.

They do give you an amenity onboard, like a bottle of wine, or slippers, or a towel or something like that [they used to give a flower arrangement, but they took that way late summer].

Actually, they still offer the flower arrangements, I was just offered one 2 days ago for my upcoming.

The advice to book the "least cabin you would be happy with" is definitely good advice. And it is a mistake to "expect" any kind of upgrade--not because RCI is stingy (they aren't, as they do give them when available) but because most of the ships are sailing with only a few cabins unfilled. The fact they have to open a satellite lounge for concierge so often shows that there are quite a lot of "qualified" contestants vying for a very few upgrades.

Frankly, I am always quite happy and grateful for any little ole thing:p.

Good luck!

RCCL gives something to Diamond members, it´s all listed in the C&A benefits section, unfotunately upgrades are not on that list.

Actually I think it will never be on that list, because with the number of Diamond cruisers I see on every of my cruises, they never ever would be able to satisfy all of them with upgrades and they would never actually be able to sell a single suite on their ships.

However yes upgrades do happen, to first timers as well as to past cruisers, though I don´t think there is any rhyme on why and where they happen.

I´ve had one upgrade when I was still a gold C&A member it was from balcony to Junior Suite and I know a family member who was a first timer on RCCL got an upgrade from E to JS.

Thanks

Mark if you do book for May 20 don't forget to go to the rollcall and sign up for the M&M.

Being a past guest of Carnival I can say that they do give the two cabin upgrade as long as it is in the same category. Ocenaview to oceanview, balcony to balcony, etc... If you look at the pricing on this, it is usually about a $20 to $40 "upgrade" which actually usually only moves you up a deck or two in the exact same cabin. :rolleyes:

As a Diamond member of RCCl, how many or how much of a free upgrade can I expect to get when booking such a cabin?

Is there any way to get an upgrade into a Junior Suite without paying the going rate?

Please advise if you have any experience with this and can share to save me a few $$$.

Thanks

I guess that if you used the $200 you would get for being Diamond, and applied that $200 to your cruise price, you could get a better balcony. I don't understand if you are Diamond, how you don't know that free upgrades just don't jump out for you. (Most of us haven't ever gotten a free upgrade.)

If you are Diamond because of your Elite status on Celebrity, you should thank your lucky stars because RCI gives far better amenities to their loyal cruisers than Celebrity does.

My suggetion to get an upgrade to a JS, is to check prices daily on RCI to see if a guaranty becomes available. For our cruise in November we had booked a D1 cabin, but the price for a JS turned out to be the same price, so we switched. I am hoping for the same again, but who knows if/when that will happen.

Having said all that, if YOU find a way to get a free upgrade, let the rest of us know. Thanks.

Archived