Titanic Surprise from TIVO

AFT_LOVER

Just checked Thursday's shows to watch, and there it was 1996 Titanic with one incredible cast:

Peter Gallagher.... Wynn Park

George C. Scott.... Captain Edward J. Smith

Catherine Zeta-Jones.... Isabella Paradine

Eva Marie Saint.... Hazel Foley

Tim Curry.... Simon Doonan

Roger Rees.... J. Bruce Ismay (Mr White Star Lines)

Marilu Henner.... Molly Brown

Mike Doyle....Jamie Perse

b.gif

Great movie with great clothes, dancing, booze, great food presented and the ship with loads of black smoke out its 3 funnels. 10 minutes for flood, screaming people and a sinking boat. Carthania is the only ship to make it to the boats to rescue the 750 survivors. Californian was looking at them with their white, not red for emergency, flares and did nothing.

This really got us ready to sail, 107 days til we sail on Brilliance.

This really got us ready to sail, 107 days til we sail on Brilliance.

LOL! I bought Titanic (the 'recent' release with DiCrappio and cast). DW absolutely refuses to watch it since "everybody dies!" I try explaining that not all died of course, but it doesn't help. Then I bought the recent release of Poseidon - same thing! Then I bought "Speed 2: Cruise Control" and get the same reaction from DW! Then I bought an old movie called "Last Voyage"...you know the rest.

I'm with you - these movies get me in the cruise mood. Of course I wouldn't want any of these things to happen to us during our cruise(s), but...at least you're getting SOME cruise-related stuff!

Oh well... enjoy the movie and your cruise!

not the one with Shelley Winters (the original) which is the best. The news one that a tidal wave does them in, which is bull, since we know after 250,000 folks were killed outside India as our friends were cruising to Bangladesh to visit relatives and they never felt a thing. But the news was very disturbing for them.

But this 1996 movie with a 26 year old Mrs Douglas, is one very beautiful woman, and Marilu Henner was so funny. A very personal touch on all the wealthy onboard & my DH stated that we are FIRST CLASS on 9th AFT not the Steerage......... just to think about cruising in 1912 with classes of people, not C&A ratings tho many today seem to think it is.

LOL! I bought Titanic (the 'recent' release with DiCrappio and cast). DW absolutely refuses to watch it since "everybody dies!" I try explaining that not all died of course, but it doesn't help. Then I bought the recent release of Poseidon - same thing! Then I bought "Speed 2: Cruise Control" and get the same reaction from DW! Then I bought an old movie called "Last Voyage"...you know the rest.

I'm with you - these movies get me in the cruise mood. Of course I wouldn't want any of these things to happen to us during our cruise(s), but...at least you're getting SOME cruise-related stuff!

Oh well... enjoy the movie and your cruise!

I picked up that movie for $7, a very different production compared to the other Titanic movie, both good though.

Also love Speed 2-Cruise Control, such a hokey movie- but fun to watch and Hubby Loves Sandra Bullock!! I noticed it was on TV last week too.

Enjoy your movies..

Bev

"Airplane", of course!

Or, here's a story I heard recently:

All the passengers are sitting in a 747 jumbo jet; coming up from the back of the plane are two men in pilot's uniforms, one with a guide dog and the other one using a white cane.

There's some nervous laughter as they make their way up the aisle. Everyone figures it's a joke - but then the two guys make their way into the cockpit and the door closes! The engines fire up, the plane backs away from the gate and is soon taxiing to the runway.

The plane revs up its engines and heads down the runway... the remaining runway is becoming shorter and shorter, and the wheels still haven't lifted off the ground... the nervous passengers scream... and the plane lifts off the ground into the air.

Back in the cockpit, the one blind pilot turns to the other and comments, "One of these days, they're not gonna scream, and then we're all gonna die!"

LMAO!!! How about snakes on planes... THAT outta get you in the flying mood!!

Oh, I SHOULD see that. That'll work for me.

I DO like snakes. I had them as pets as a kid. And I've had them sneak in my house in the last couple of years. One baby rat snake was coming out from under my bed - upstairs even. There were a couple of others that same week in various places. This is S. Florida, you know, and we have much worse than that to worry about. (Scorpions, big fat palmetto bugs aka flying roached, hurricanes :) )

Yes, that one will do it for me. Only thing - I don't like poisonous snakes. What kind are on this plane? It sounds scary.

Oh, I see you two from Ocala...you know about Palmetto bugs. You might have better ones than us.

Oh, I SHOULD see that. That'll work for me.

I DO like snakes. I had them as pets as a kid. And I've had them sneak in my house in the last couple of years. One baby rat snake was coming out from under my bed - upstairs even. There were a couple of others that same week in various places. This is S. Florida, you know, and we have much worse than that to worry about. (Scorpions, big fat palmetto bugs aka flying roached, hurricanes :) )

Yes, that one will do it for me. Only thing - I don't like poisonous snakes. What kind are on this plane? It sounds scary.

Oh, I see you two from Ocala...you know about Palmetto bugs. You might have better ones than us.

Yes unfortunately we know of the palmetto bugs, big enough to carry you away.. now for snakes... I AM TERRIFIED! Hubby has seen them in the backyard, but if I spot one, I am truly going to have a heart attack and there will be no more me! :eek: I can not even l@@k at them on the TV.

as for the kind of snakes in the movie.. I would not know.. I would have nightmares to see it :eek:

and if a snake came in my house, I would be to the local Holiday Inn so fast, and would not return home until enetire house was completely and thoroughly rid of any and all snakes...

EDITED TO ADD: Oh CRAP PH8 -- I did NOT need to see that, now I will be skeered tonight

and it is YOUR fault (Ha....)

Several times,I have been laying outside by the pool and have had a snake slither on the pool deck.............well, since no one is ever home when this happens,I have to kill it..................I use a hoe(the kind you work in the garden with,not a nasty sleaze:p ) and smack the snake in half..........and I keep chopping away........I make sure that sucker is dead...............I have been told they are "good" snakes,but I dont care..............No snake is a good snake to me........

I also had to kill a water moccasion once when I lived in the "country"--Citra.............it had attacked my dog and I needed to show the vet what kind of snake it was.......now that sucker was HUGE!! Poor dog was at the vet for a week.......

You're welcome Beary.........

Loved "The Last Voyage" movie!

I had never heard of the Hallmark made for TV 1996 version of the Titanic. :confused: I looked it up to buy and read that the DVD version has some problems with skipping and "out of sync" lines. Can anyone confirm? I was going to order one.

Loved "The Last Voyage" movie!

I had never heard of the Hallmark made for TV 1996 version of the Titanic. :confused: I looked it up to buy and read that the DVD version has some problems with skipping and "out of sync" lines. Can anyone confirm? I was going to order one.

And there were only 705 survivors(even though some say 712),but not 750..........

IAMATSEA-------you totally just confused me............I knew you asked that last night and then it was there again!!Thought I was going crazy!:p

Sorry,I cant help ya though.........

Wow, has this thread changed a lot since I first read it! :eek:

I used to think the Barbara Stanwyck version was a rare find, and always loved a NIGHT TO REMEMBER, even reading that one along my childhood journey.

But what gets me is your surprise. Do you have your TiVo set to tape anytime TITANIC is on?

My DVR picks up weird things as well, like ghosts of old shows, and then completely gets screwed up if shows are switched, like moving/removing THE NINE and DAYBREAK. And I really hate expecting to see Star Trek, and Fred Sanford is on my screen.

Technology. How did we live through the 60's and 70's? :rolleyes:

I love Peter Galagher so I say the made for TV version when it was originally on TV. I also bought it on VHS couldn't find it on DVD back when I bought it. I love this version. I don't really care for DiCaprio. I can't seem to think of him as a romantic leading man. I remember when the made for TV one was one because Marilu Henner was all over interviewing for it. For some reason I am thinking her husband either wrote or directed it.

is one amazing item. I typed in CRUISES, so I get Rain Man with Tom Cruise, but I also get every movie with cruising as the storyline, as well as TV shows on cruiseships, many we've seen 40 times or more or many cruise lines are bankrupt.

So Friday night we turn on the TV & click on the list of shows taped & there was 1996 Titanic. Then I see the list of actors & we decided to pop popcorn, get some Diet Pepsi & enjoy a cruise flick that was a real surprise. Never remember it from 10 years ago being featured.

So I decided to post so others could be on the lookout for it to rerun.

Wow, has this thread changed a lot since I first read it! :eek:

I used to think the Barbara Stanwyck version was a rare find, and always loved a NIGHT TO REMEMBER, even reading that one along my childhood journey.

But what gets me is your surprise. Do you have your TiVo set to tape anytime TITANIC is on?

My DVR picks up weird things as well, like ghosts of old shows, and then completely gets screwed up if shows are switched, like moving/removing THE NINE and DAYBREAK. And I really hate expecting to see Star Trek, and Fred Sanford is on my screen.

Technology. How did we live through the 60's and 70's? :rolleyes:

is one amazing item. I typed in CRUISES, so I get Rain Man with Tom Cruise, but I also get every movie with cruising as the storyline, as well as TV shows on cruiseships, many we've seen 40 times or more or many cruise lines are bankrupt.

So Friday night we turn on the TV & click on the list of shows taped & there was 1996 Titanic. Then I see the list of actors & we decided to pop popcorn, get some Diet Pepsi & enjoy a cruise flick that was a real surprise. Never remember it from 10 years ago being featured.

So I decided to post so others could be on the lookout for it to rerun.

Glad you posted this. I actually have a commercial copy of the movie and I dug it out to watch while I exercise. It focuses on a lot of the real people who were on the ship like the Allisons whose nurse ran off with their baby. I remember the movie coming out about 6 months before the Cameron Titanic. Obviously as they involve ships, I have both.

I was thinking of asking where they buried the survivors but I changed my mind. So I won't. ;) :p

I still apologize for messing it up and causing some of you to be confused - if you weren't already.

Momma, I believe that they are buried in OHIO.

:D :D :D

When we went on our Freedom cruise in October, my son and I went to the Titanic exhibit at the museum in Miami the day before the cruise left. It was due to leave the museum later that month, so I'm really glad we took the time and effort (we had to brave the public transportation system) to go. What was really interesting (besides all of the amazing artifacts, photos, and the cold frozen "iceberg") was that at the beginning of the exhibit, they give you a "boarding pass" with the name & information of a passenger on it. When you've gone through the whole exhibit, at the end there is a large wall that has several lists on it. The passengers are divided by class, and then those lists are divided by those who survived and those who perished. My son survived, I perished. Some people thought we were weird to want to see this exhibit the day before leaving on a cruise, but I'm SO glad that we did. It was very interesting and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

By the way, when we flew to Miami the movie on the plane was---yup--Poseidon. Then we got on the ship and guess what the movie of the week was on the tv in the cabin? Again, Poseidon. Interesting choice for a movie for a cruise.:rolleyes:

Archived