what would you do?

We are trying to decide whether to go with the cruise line air or book air ourselves. The problem is we can only arrive to orlando the day of the cruise. I found a flight that will get us there around 10:30 am, 6.5 hours before the cruise leaves, this will save us around 700.00 dollars. My DH wants me to save the money, what would you do?

You don't say what time of year you are talking about or what area of the country you are flying from but if it is in the winter you are always taking a chance flying the day of cruise.

Saying that now, barring mother nature going crazy you should be fine and I would save the extra bucks. I would though buy insurance that covers trip delay just in case.

Sue

We are trying to decide whether to go with the cruise line air or book air ourselves. The problem is we can only arrive to orlando the day of the cruise. I found a flight that will get us there around 10:30 am, 6.5 hours before the cruise leaves, this will save us around 700.00 dollars. My DH wants me to save the money, what would you do?

I don't mean to be offensive, but ARE YOU KIDDING? Why would you even consider booking with RCL if you can save $700.00? Since I have never booked with RCCL, I may be missing something here. I know that if you book thru RCCL and there is a problem that they will hold the ship or get you to the next port, right? but if you have a 6 1/2 hour leeway, wow, that is a no brainer for me & my wallet.

Having done both air thru RCCL and booking it myself, I would say book it yourself and save the $$. Getting the flight you want at the price you can afford is better than getting what they give you for the price they say is a fair fare.:)

The pier is in Port Canaveral, about 45 min. drive from Orlando. A taxi would be VERY expensive. Many folks rent a car and return it at the pier. Since you must come in the day of the cruise, your best bet may be to reserve RCI's transportation to the port and back again. It will cost more for the 2 of you than to rent a car, but you are working with a tight schedule. At least you should be assured of transportation that will get you to the ship in time. Buy your own air tickets and save the $$. Don't believe the old story that the ship will wait if you have booked thru RCI. Only if a great number of folks are on your flight will they wait, and then only for a time. Yes, they will get you to the next port. But if you have travel insurance, that should take care of your concerns. Really, if there is ANY WAY to get to Orlando the day before, you should. We have had flights cancelled twice in 2 years. If we were on the day of the cruise, we would NOT have made it. And these were for mechanical reasons which can happen any time.

We have always made our own arrangements. My only concern would be if weather is a factor. We leave from the North East...so we try to fly in the day before if possible during the winter months. You could arrange a car service to pick you up and bring you to the port. We have done this from Orlando to Port Canaveral.

We used Able Transportation...407-671-9845. Have used more than once. Affordable Van transportation...he has stopped at the grocery store for us and for any breaks we needed. I think maybe $80.00 round trip for four...Do not quote me...but was reliable. Hope this helps. Happy Sailing!

I agree, book your own air. You will have control over the flight times you have plus booking through the cruise line they seem to pick the crappy times and flight arrangements. We have often taken a early evening flight into Orlando and stay at a hotel near the airport then take a towncar into Port Canaveral the next morning, you will start your cruise fresh and not feel so hurried. No matter the time of year we will not fly in the same day of the cruise, too many chances for delays from medical, crew problems, plane problems.

It seems rather early to book Orlando flights for June, the price varies so much, if your happy with the price then book otherwise you could wait and check weekly and see if it will go down. We have paid anywhere from $108-236 for airfare to Orlando. Prices jump up and down alot.

Bev

There is always the possibility that something could go wrong when ever you travel but, realistically, most of the time things go right. You are traveling during a warm weather month and you are looking at a flight that gives you a good cushon on time for getting to the port. I would definitely book the flight on my own. Put the $700.00 savings to good use.

You don't say how many are in your group. If it is two you could book the RCI transfers. If you are four or more you would probably come out ahead booking one of the shuttle companies. We used Art's Shuttle service and were very happy with them. Some people choose to rent a car. I, personally, don't want the hassle of picking up the car and dropping it off.

Book your own. The last time we booked through RCI--this was what they did:

From New York (Newark International) to San Juan: One plane to DETROIT! Another plane to Miami, and a third plane to San Juan! Better believe that we cancelled this plan--paid to do it, and booked our own--right from Newark to San Juan. Never again!

Just a heads up to the OP. Flew into and out of Orlando this weekend. This was first trip on Southwest, though I have been in and out many times on other airlines. It took almost an hour to get the luggage on arrival. The rumblings I heard from frequent SW fliers is that this time frame is pretty typical for Orlando, so if that is your airline factor that time in (I have never had that type of wait on any other airline into Orlando.)

Just a heads up to the OP. Flew into and out of Orlando this weekend. This was first trip on Southwest, though I have been in and out many times on other airlines. It took almost an hour to get the luggage on arrival. The rumblings I heard from frequent SW fliers is that this time frame is pretty typical for Orlando, so if that is your airline factor that time in (I have never had that type of wait on any other airline into Orlando.)

YIKES. I fly Southwest almost exclusively, never into Orlando tho, & I have never had to wait that long to get luggage. That really does $uck. that is really something to look at & I appreciate you posting this info.

I always recommend that people check out all their options before deciding whether to book their air through the cruiseline or on their own. In this instance, I think that the extremely substantial amount of savings makes your choice self-evident. You can book your own air and arrange your own transportation (rental car, RCI transfers, whatever) and still have a significant amount left over to spend during your cruise or put away towards your next one. It isn't always better to book your air one particular way, but in this case it does not seem to make sense to book throught the cruiseline. A flight that is scheduled to arrive on the morning of your cruise should give you sufficient leeway in the event of most flight delays that might occur.:)

our first two cruises we used cruise line air (Royla carib & Celeb) --had to pay extra to get the flights we wanted , the docs & tix came at the last minute & we had seats way in the back--no we we book our own but ALWAYS go one or two days ahead--just in case... Our luggage was lost by SW air--never made the plane to Seattle--going a day ahead gave time to get the bags--they arrived in the middle of the night sent by messenger from the airport! Why ot invest some of the 700 savings nto a modest room for 1 night ahead--but either way suggest you book your own air

I recommend making your own air arrangements and fly in the day before, you never know when there will be any flight problems. It is a piece of mind and you are rested and can enjoy youe embarkation better. We have always done so, and rent a car from AVIS from the airport to the Radisson and usually take the ship transfers back. But if you cannot go the day before get an early enough flight to allow for any delays and use the $700 for some massages and some tours.

I would definitely book my own air... we always have... and with a savings like that... wow!!

I think your 10:30 arrival time sounds reasonable... I wouldn't want to have any later of an arrival time than that... I'd have 3 additional criteria for a same day flight.

One is that your either flying during the time of year or from an area of the country that winter storms wouldn't be an issue and you already said you're traveling in June, so you should be fine there.

The second would be that I would only do it if it were a non-stop flight.... having a flight with stops only increases the possibility of missed connections and lost luggage.

The last would be that there would need to be other options for flights that would get you there in the morning if your flight was cancelled.

As far as the luggage wait in Orlando is concerned, I would guess that what zqvol experienced was due to the holidays. Orlando is the most popular destination spot in the country over the holidays. We've flown into Orlando several times recently and the only time we experienced a wait like that was last Christmas... We did wait about an hour. I really don't think it'll be that bad in June.

I would rent a car at MCO and drop it at Port Canaveral. Budget has a store at Port Canaveral and then takes you by shuttle to the port. We did that in October and it was very easy and cost all of about $42.

Have a great trip! :) You'll love Mariner, we liked her so much the first time, we went back for seconds! ;)

Archived