Aft Facing AF Cabins - Jewel or Pearl - Sizes

calmac

Hi Kids -

The Unique Layout cabins shouldn't be up for grabs.....especially so early.

I would hope they'd be holding these cabins a little longer for disabled pax......

Still, it sure doesn't seem fair to reduce the size of the other aft AFs to increase the HC cabins...devaluing prime real estate like that.;)

Hilary & Stuart, when are you booked for the Gem?

Hi Laurel

Cabin 11150, the one with the unique layout, is a standard AF cabin. No idea why the layout should be any different to normal. The "disabled" aft facing AFs are 11650 and 11654. These are both 335 sq ft with either a 69 or 81 sq ft balcony. When we booked the Gem on board the Pearl, Sean would not let us book either of these cabins (not that we would though).

We're on the first non-1or 2-night cruise on the Gem - Dover to Barcelona leaving Dover on 8th October. It was the only sailing which really fitted in with our son's school holiday. We now have 2 people joined us on the roll call so there's still plenty of room. Fancy a Mad Mariners 2?

Hi Laurel

Cabin 11150, the one with the unique layout, is a standard AF cabin. No idea why the layout should be any different to normal.

O.K. don't laugh but I've done a VERY ROUGH layout of this cabin. There seems to be a lot of interest in this mini so maybe this will help even more. Obviously, this is not to scale but you'll get the general idea. The file size is too large here so I'll upload it to the same album on webshots.

As far as why it's different, we could not figure that out while on-board. It is the last of the Mini's across the back... But, as I've said before we would book this cabin again in a heartbeat.

O.K. don't laugh but I've done a VERY ROUGH layout of this cabin. There seems to be a lot of interest in this mini so maybe this will help even more. Obviously, this is not to scale but you'll get the general idea. The file size is too large here so I'll upload it to the same album on webshots.

As far as why it's different, we could not figure that out while on-board. It is the last of the Mini's across the back... But, as I've said before we would book this cabin again in a heartbeat.

Thank you for going to so much trouble :) I always like to see layouts like this - gives you so much more idea than square footage alone.

Thanks, cruisingfromMN for the photos and the drawing!

These aft minis are very popular! We booked the last available one on the Pearl last May for next May (but ended up cancelling). That's why, when we decided on the Jewel, we booked so far ahead. I wanted to make sure one would be ours!

They sure are small! If you want to see a large aft mini-suite, take a look at my photos of our Sun Alaska trip using the photos link below. That mini must be comparable to an AE on the Jewel/Pearl/Gem.

Adele

These aft minis are very popular! We booked the last available one on the Pearl last May for next May (but ended up cancelling). That's why, when we decided on the Jewel, we booked so far ahead. I wanted to make sure one would be ours!

They sure are small! If you want to see a large aft mini-suite, take a look at my photos of our Sun Alaska trip using the photos link below. That mini must be comparable to an AE on the Jewel/Pearl/Gem.

Adele

That doesn't look large - it looks HUGE :D

Adele

Oh my, I can't believe the size of that mini-suite. Unbelievable, that gives me more interest in the Sun. We've been considering her out of New Orleans.

So far, she's my favorite! We love Il Adagio, which isn't on any other ship (it's lovely, with tables for two and banquettes for larger groups, floor-to-ceiling windows), and Le Bistro is up on the top deck with floor-to-ceiling windows, too. The Observation Lounge has unobstructed views (no "stage" that gets in the way). She may be a bit older, but she's a pretty little thing.

Oh, one other thing. There aren't as many suites on the Sun, so when they say you get a concierge in a mini-suite, you get a concierge! But don't tell anyone!

13 sq ft would be a noticeable difference so you've certainly put my mind at ease.

13 sq. ft. may not be as noticeable as you think. I believe the width of these cabins is about 13 feet, so that would simply mean the interior cabin was 1 foot shorter than the side minis. Not that big of a deal after all :)

• 9 months later...

An upsell is when the good upsell fairy at NCL, sometime shortly before the ship sails, calls you to ask you if you would like to spend a little more money and have a higher category cabin.

Check this thread for some good examples: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=590004

Now the upgrade fairy (which is much more rare) upgrades you to a higher class cabin for free. It happens more often to those who purchase a guaranty

cabin, but she has been known to strike while checking in for boarding.

Pete

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

We had cabins 11150 and 11156 on the Jewel this past summer. We've also had AF mini's on the Star so are familiar with the size. Cabin 11156 or 11150 did not seem any smaller than any other AF we've stayed in. I will mention that 11150 was layed out differently than any other mini-suite and we loved it. The difference was that the bed was near the balcony; and the living area, TV, dressing mirror/table was where the bed normally is. We liked it so much better because the closet was very easy to get into as it was not obstructed by the bed. In addition, this layout seemed to make the living area so much larger and usable. It seemed more like a big open area to lounge in. You also did not have to fight the bed to get to the living area which is the typical the layout.

I have pictures but not with easy access right now. After posting this, I'll head over to webshots and try to segregate the images for you so you can find them easily. Right now, they're embedded with all the site seeing tours we took so they're hard to find.

If I can answer any other questions, let me know.

We have held 11150 and looked at your pictures and have a question - it looks like the bed is very close to the window, did it restrict access to the balcony. From the picture it almost looks like you need to hop across the bed. Is the view restricted? I have seen pictures of the back of the ship and it looks like there is a curved bulkhead.

Archived