drinking age on rccl

HelenP

We just booked a cruise with our kids and a few of their friends on Mariner in May. We just heard of the new rules for drinking and thier enforcement. Some of the kids are 21 the rest are college students and are not new to drinking and are well behaved. We took the same group on a carnival cruise 2 years ago and they all did fine but did openly drink on an excursion. I just dont want any of the kidsto drink underage and then get thrown off the ship. I cant control them when I am not with them. How much do they enforce this? If we go on an excursion and they drink because they are allowed to will they be thrown off the ship when they get back on. Will we be all thrown off if they take a sip of my pina colada?

If you're in a port, on land, where the drinking age is 18, then the 18 year olds can drink. On board the ship, however, the drinking age is 21 and IS enforced. Their seapass cards will be marked upon embarkation (a hole punched) that says they are under 21 and not allowed to order alcohol on board. You can all be put off the ship at the next port if you are caught providing alcohol to anyone under age. If they have to drink they'll have to wait until they are in those ports where it is allowed. (The exception to all this is the cruise that originally DEPARTS from a port where the drinking age is 18; then the legal age on board is 18.)

Given all the recent alcohol-related mishaps on board ships, including the million-dollar payout RCI just settled for, the drinking rules are enforced. This doesn't mean they can't get away with it in certain areas. But, why chance getting thrown of the ship?

Drinking in the ports is A-OK and will not be a problem when you board except if it leads to violent and destructive behavior. As for drinking on board, on my recent cruise I noticed quite a few people buying drinks for "old" underage kids at the Viking Crown without too much (or any) interference from the staff.

As for drinking on board, on my recent cruise I noticed quite a few people buying drinks for "old" underage kids at the Viking Crown without too much (or any) interference from the staff.

You're probably right, SilentBob, but she does need to know that this CAN lead to being put off the ship - providing alcohol for someone underage; even if they're "old" underage kids. Them's the rules. Or the law, to be exact.

(The exception to all this is the cruise that originally DEPARTS from a port where the drinking age is 18; then the legal age on board is 18.)

Actually that's not entirely true. The exception is cruises that don't depart from North American ports (for example I believe the drinking age is 18 in Canada but the drinking age for Alaskan cruises from Vancouver is 21).

• 3 weeks later...

ALCOHOL POLICY

Effective as of all sailings commencing on or after July 28, 2006, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Royal Caribbean International ships is 21.

However, on cruises departing from European and South American countries, where the legal drinking age is typically lower than 21, a parent who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) who is between the ages of 18 to 20, may sign a waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages.

The 18- to 20 year-old must agree to comply with Royal Caribbean's policies, including among other things, agreeing to not provide alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age. Restrictions apply, and this policy is subject to change without notice.

Any cruise sailing from the US allows drinking only when the passenger is 21 or older. Up until last summer, parents could sign waivers for kids 18-20 on ships sailing from the US. RCI stopped allowing the waivers.

When you get your cruise docs it does state in there that you may be asked to debark if you serve alcohol to someone under 21. Also, if you look at the RCI website, it doesn't state anything about waivers at all. It's under alcohol policy in FAQ's. Please read the FAQ's as it's their policy now.

I would certainly not take the chance of giving a sip or more of my drink to someone under 21. I wouldn't want to throw away all the money I had spent for the cruise over something as unimportant as that. JMO.

We just booked a cruise with our kids and a few of their friends on Mariner in May. We just heard of the new rules for drinking and thier enforcement. Some of the kids are 21 the rest are college students and are not new to drinking and are well behaved. We took the same group on a carnival cruise 2 years ago and they all did fine but did openly drink on an excursion. I just dont want any of the kidsto drink underage and then get thrown off the ship. I cant control them when I am not with them. How much do they enforce this? If we go on an excursion and they drink because they are allowed to will they be thrown off the ship when they get back on. Will we be all thrown off if they take a sip of my pina colada?

Please be aware that the over 21 adults will be considered responsible for the behavior of the under 21 crowd. Whichever pax in each cabin is over 21 assumes responsibility for the actions of those in the cabin who are under 21 (and considered "underage"). This includes breaking the alcohol rules, but also serious infractions of the listed "rules" of behavior for all pax or any other problems. (Mind you, I'm not saying this would happen, but I want you to know that RCI expects that you won't need to "control" them when they're not with you because they know that if they break the rules and get busted, you will be held liable.) I would not give any of the under 21 travelers a sip of your pina colada. Not just because you're not supposed to, but because it sets a bad example. You're saying the rules don't apply to you, and they do.

No problem with them drinking on shore when the legal age is lower. As long as they don't come back onboard obviously and obnoxiously drunk, it's perfectly fine for them to have a drink or three at a port stop.

beachchick

Actually that's not entirely true. The exception is cruises that don't depart from North American ports (for example I believe the drinking age is 18 in Canada but the drinking age for Alaskan cruises from Vancouver is 21).

Just to clarify. The drinking age in Canada is 19 in all provinces except Quebec, Alberta and Manitoba, where the drinking age is 18. (In Quebec, it's more of a suggestion than a reality. I was never carded and I have never seen anyone carded. I even took my sister to a bar at the age of 16.)

I know for a fact that NCL allows parents to sign a waiver to allow their children that are over 18 years of age to drink "beer and wine" NO hard liquor. If you are having doubts about the drinking, you may want to consider NCL. And yes, the ships are extremely strict about underage drinking, and they will put you off. Why chance your vacation.

Just to clarify. The drinking age in Canada is 19 in all provinces except Quebec, Alberta and Manitoba, where the drinking age is 18. (In Quebec, it's more of a suggestion than a reality. I was never carded and I have never seen anyone carded. I even took my sister to a bar at the age of 16.)

Thanks, I just knew that it was lower than in the US, but that RCCL still has the age 21 drinking age on cruises that depart from Canada.

I am going with my boyfriedn and another couple. boyfriends are 25, and my friend is 20. her parents arent going, so can her parents like fax a waiver or no???

NO. As stated by almost every poster above in this thread, the legal age to drink on a Royal Caribbean ship is TWENTY ONE.

NO waivers. NO exceptions. NO underage drinking.

Capisce?

Archived