Viking Crown Lounge Question

I just wanted to float an opinion and see if anyone agrees with me.

On our last cruise, (December 10, Rhapsody of the Seas) it seemed that the CVL was empty more often than full. We stopped in most nights between 10 and 11:30 p.m. and the only night it was really jumping was Disco Inferno Night, and even then, it was only a few who kept it going after Midnight.

I'm not sure what the problem was but I have two theories. One is that they simply don't promote the place at all. Every day, they make announcements about what's going on in the Shall We Dance Lounge, (or other lounges, depending on which ship it is in the RCI fleet) on the pooldeck, in the theater, etc., but they never mention the VCL except on the Disco Inferno Night.

The other is that it seems the DJ's hands are tied and he is forced by company policy to vary the music even when people aren't requesting it. This is what we were told by "Bobby from the Lobby" the DJ most nights at the VCL on the Rhapsody in December , when we asked why he changed the music when the dance floor was packed and pumping.My opinion is, this is a dance clubs. Dance clubs on land play dance music, which is typically a blend of current dance pop hits, hiphop, house and techno. But it seems that in the VCL, they feel the need to mix in some disco, latin, oldies or 80s even when the dance floor is packed.

If you have a full dance floor and then repeatedly clear that floor with music that the crowd doesn't want to dance to, then people eventually leave.

I know this is nitpicking, but dancing in an empty dance club isn't much fun.

On our last cruise, (December 10, Rhapsody of the Seas) it seemed that the CVL was empty more often than full. We stopped in most nights between 10 and 11:30 p.m. and the only night it was really jumping was Disco Inferno Night, and even then, it was only a few who kept it going after Midnight.

I'm not sure what the problem was but I have two theories. One is that they simply don't promote the place at all. Every day, they make announcements about what's going on in the Shall We Dance Lounge, (or other lounges, depending on which ship it is in the RCI fleet) on the pooldeck, in the theater, etc., but they never mention the VCL except on the Disco Inferno Night.

The other is that it seems the DJ's hands are tied and he is forced by company policy to vary the music even when people aren't requesting it. This is what we were told by "Bobby from the Lobby" the DJ most nights at the VCL on the Rhapsody in December , when we asked why he changed the music when the dance floor was packed and pumping.My opinion is, this is a dance clubs. Dance clubs on land play dance music, which is typically a blend of current dance pop hits, hiphop, house and techno. But it seems that in the VCL, they feel the need to mix in some disco, latin, oldies or 80s even when the dance floor is packed.

If you have a full dance floor and then repeatedly clear that floor with music that the crowd doesn't want to dance to, then people eventually leave.

When I was on the Rhapsody in November 2005 the Viking Crown was THE PLACE to be, I met so many nice people there. Sorry it wasn't the same on your trip :( I travel w/ two kids so I am alone at night, the dance club is always where you will find me!!

I find the dance clubs cater to the 'hip hop' crowd too much. Even though I begged a DJ to vary it somewhat, there was no way he would. So, we left.:(

And, BTW, I LOVE the 80's!:p 70's and 80's music always gets people out there! But, I guess it is an age thing.....

The only time we've been into any VCL has been at sailaway (when it was dark and cold outside), or in the afternoon. We've gone there a number of cruises after we get back from excursions, to relax and have a cool one.

I've actually only been in a dance club onboard a ship only once in 12 cruises. That was on QM2 and it was great, but we're early risers and prefer the daylight to the nightlife.

I had no idea they used them as dance clubs :o

You mentioned the Rhapsody. I have to say that I am disappointed with the VCL on the Vision Class ships. I like to relax in the VCL at night listening to jazz music and sipping cocktails. They never should have made the VCL the nightclub on that class of ships. On all the other classes, it is a cozy lounge.

I find the dance clubs cater to the 'hip hop' crowd too much. Even though I begged a DJ to vary it somewhat, there was no way he would. So, we left.:(

And, BTW, I LOVE the 80's!:p 70's and 80's music always gets people out there! But, I guess it is an age thing.....

Ok - I admit it - I am that age... and will be on my first RCI cruise in about a month (Navigator). Where will be able to dance with the music that people "my age" like? Also, while we're talking about entertainment, any info on the Navigator piano bar (sing-a-long)?

Ok - I admit it - I am that age... and will be on my first RCI cruise in about a month (Navigator). Where will be able to dance with the music that people "my age" like? Also, while we're talking about entertainment, any info on the Navigator piano bar (sing-a-long)?

Tha Navigator has a two-story nigthclub that plays dance music. The sing-along piano is in the Schooner Bar. Also, the english pub in the promenade has live sing-along music.

Tha Navigator has a two-story nigthclub that plays dance music. The sing-along piano is in the Schooner Bar. Also, the english pub in the promenade has live sing-along music.

Thanks - are they known to have a big piano bar crowd? We are really looking forward to this!

BTW -- Sorry about OSU the other night! Must have been painful for you! I went to Northwestern, so I know about losing football games, although we rarely get as far as OSU!

Back to Viking Crown Lounge info... (sorry for the digression)

I think the VCL's vary from ship to ship. On Explorer, there was a one man band--guitar/synthesizer type deal--not good for dancing! On Sovereign, there was a small combo. Most of the "dance" bands have NOT been in the Viking Crown Lounge on any of our other cruises!

But, it's a great place to drink during sail-away!

Thanks - are they known to have a big piano bar crowd? We are really looking forward to this!

BTW -- Sorry about OSU the other night! Must have been painful for you! I went to Northwestern, so I know about losing football games, although we rarely get as far as OSU!

Back to Viking Crown Lounge info... (sorry for the digression)

Yea, I don't know who those imposters were in the OSU uniforms. :rolleyes:

Anywho, the piano bar got crowded after the shows because it is right by the theater. Otherwise, not too bad. The atmosphere is what makes it so good. The Schooner Bar is one of my favorite watering holes. :) If you'd like, click my webshots link below. I believe there are Schooner Bar photos on the Freedom and Explorer albums (and maybe the Adventure album). The Navigator is set up the same way.

I am not familiar with the Navigator, but have been on the Mariner. There is the 2-story dance club, which plays nightclub music. There was an eighties night held in the ice rink. I guess they know the dance club will not hold all those people that love that era! The VCL had a jazz band in it.

On our July, 2005 Rhapsody cruise, the Viking Crown Lounge turned into a dancing inferno after 10PM, 18+ with staff at the elevator doors checked IDs. My DD was up there with her friends every night. Of course it was summer vacation and there were tons of HS/college age kids looking to have a good time and party. The only time I went up there myself was for the 70s disco party which was fabulous. Danced until 2AM and would have stayed longer but my 18 year old was up there with her friends and I felt I had made enough of a spectacle of myself (remember Elaine dancing on Seinfeld?? :p ) That and the Key West sail away party were cruise highlights for me.

I hate it when the Viking Crown is dead!! It's always been hit or miss whenever I've been on a a Vision class ship but usually it's been pretty packed. I think night clubs are like that on cruises though because they promote so much stuff happening all over the ship and people just get spread out everywhere and sometimes it never gets hopping. I hate it when that happens!!! I've run into this problem on pretty much every ship I've been on regarding the night clubs. A lot of times if the next day isn't a sea day people hit the hay earlier (except me...tee hee). I basically just go up to the VCL, plant myself at the bar or one of the cozy areas near the dance floor and wait for fun to happen. Sometimes no one shows up and it's a bummer, so I hear ya. The dynamic has a lot to do with passengers on that sailing too...when I was on the Rhapsody it was standing room only every night but that was during the summer months and there was a younger crowd.

I'm with ya all the way!

Laura

I hate it when the Viking Crown is dead!! It's always been hit or miss whenever I've been on a a Vision class ship but usually it's been pretty packed. I think night clubs are like that on cruises though because they promote so much stuff happening all over the ship and people just get spread out everywhere and sometimes it never gets hopping.

The dynamic has a lot to do with passengers on that sailing too...when I was on the Rhapsody it was standing room only every night but that was during the summer months and there was a younger crowd.

I'm with ya all the way!

Laura

Yeah, I think you're right about it being a matter of the particular sailing. When we went in May of last year, it seemed much more lively, and the average age of the cruisers on board was a little younger. Then, our last on in December, like I said, was kinda dead.

You know, I do understand that they need to play a variety. It was just that it seemed like every time the floor got going, the DJ would put on a slow song, or a latin song, or a crusty old disco song.

Somebody conmment earlier that maybe it was an age thing, since they loved the 70s, 80s and disco stuff, but I don't think that's it. For one thing, I'm 42 and I honestly prefer the hiphop, house and techno to the stuff that was playing when I was in high school. But beyond that, it's more about the constant changes. If the disco and Bon Jovi has the floor packed, I still wouldn't want the DJ to change the music. Whatever is keeping the floor going should be at least 60% of the music that gets played.

Anyway, I try my best to have fun no matter what, and I'm hoping that when we get on the Rhapsody for the last time this May (she's going to sail Asian routes after 2007) the club will be jumping like the time before. Thanks for agreeing with me KillaFee.

On a side note, regarding some of the other posts, I had no idea that the VCL was different on different ships. It is described in RCCL promos as "the signature lounge of the RCCL fleet, and a disco at night." So on some ships they have jazz at night, or other things? Interesting! I guess on the larger ships, they have more bars and clubs overall, so they have more options. There has to be at least one straight up dance club (house, techno, hiphop, etc.) on board or it would really impact our cruise experience negatively. My wife and I love to dance and even though I love jazz and live bands too, that just won't do when you need to shake it down.

Chad, stop stirring things up! You know how to be sure the club is hopping, cruise with me, fausto and chas! We are not shy to go up and ask the DJ to play what we want to hear, just take them a drink of their choice and a song list and they will play.

I saw the crusty old disco remark too, but I happen to love disco! Ever notice on the Rhapsody that Disco Inferno night is the busiest night? There is a reason, disco is fun dance music and something most of us can relate to because we grew up with that stuff.

I was on Voyager and the club was dead! The main dance club was down in the bowels of the ship, called the Dungeon and it is not any fun, the VC was a combo of clubs but the main part was a Latin club, I went there one time and it was not fun either.

I saw the crusty old disco remark too, but I happen to love disco! Ever notice on the Rhapsody that Disco Inferno night is the busiest night? There is a reason, disco is fun dance music and something most of us can relate to because we grew up with that stuff.

Oh you know Erika is the original Disco Queen too. I should have clarified. There is good disco and there is crappy disco. "Get Off" or "Born to Be Alive" is great, "Funkytown" ain't bad, but there are some of those like "He's the Greatest Dancer" that are just lame, and they always seem to get played. BTW, you know, I grew up with that stuff too. I'm an old crusty geezer myself. But keeping up with current music helps keep me out of the nursing home. Okay I'm exxagerating a bit. I'm 42.

The main thing is, like I said, if something is filling the floor, don't change it after 2 songs. That's my real point. Disco, Bon Jovi, AC/DC, Jive Bunny, I don't care that much. the main thing is the availability of ass-shakeability.

And I know that your crew will be doing your best to make sure that the VCL doesn't get boring! We promise to help.

Yeah, I think you're right about it being a matter of the particular sailing. When we went in May of last year, it seemed much more lively, and the average age of the cruisers on board was a little younger. Then, our last on in December, like I said, was kinda dead.

You know, I do understand that they need to play a variety. It was just that it seemed like every time the floor got going, the DJ would put on a slow song, or a latin song, or a crusty old disco song.

Somebody conmment earlier that maybe it was an age thing, since they loved the 70s, 80s and disco stuff, but I don't think that's it. For one thing, I'm 42 and I honestly prefer the hiphop, house and techno to the stuff that was playing when I was in high school. But beyond that, it's more about the constant changes. If the disco and Bon Jovi has the floor packed, I still wouldn't want the DJ to change the music. Whatever is keeping the floor going should be at least 60% of the music that gets played.

Anyway, I try my best to have fun no matter what, and I'm hoping that when we get on the Rhapsody for the last time this May (she's going to sail Asian routes after 2007) the club will be jumping like the time before. Thanks for agreeing with me KillaFee.

On a side note, regarding some of the other posts, I had no idea that the VCL was different on different ships. It is described in RCCL promos as "the signature lounge of the RCCL fleet, and a disco at night." So on some ships they have jazz at night, or other things? Interesting! I guess on the larger ships, they have more bars and clubs overall, so they have more options. There has to be at least one straight up dance club (house, techno, hiphop, etc.) on board or it would really impact our cruise experience negatively. My wife and I love to dance and even though I love jazz and live bands too, that just won't do when you need to shake it down.

Well on the Voyager and Freedom class ships the nightclub is a two-story dungeon-like club. Kinda like a mini-verson of a club that you'd see on land, which I don't love because if I'm on the ocean I'd like to feel like I'm on the ocean, thus the gorgeous views in the VCL. The VCL on those ships is broken up into a few different areas, one being a jazz clubby area, which is really beautiful, but I find that when I'm up there I on those ships I get confused since I'm so used to the VCL being the disco....hehe. The Majest, Monarch and Sovereign's VCL isn't their nightclub either. It's a seperate one level club. The Empress's VCL is the nightclub but the Gym is on the top level of it which is kinda interesting, and the VCL is backwards on that ship.

On the Radiance class ships the Viking Crown lounge is my absolute favorite because it's still the nightclub AND it has a rotating bar!! It's called Starquest disco on those ships and it ROCKS. There's also a side lounge in the VCL on those ships called Hollywood Oddesy that has a piano and cigar smoking and such. You should definitely check out a Radiance Class ship- they're just like a better, souped up version of a Vision class!

Yeeeah so I'm not in love with the VCL or anything....hee hee.

Laura

Laura

Sounds like you need to book the Rhapsody in May when we're going. We need more freaks, umm, I mean, people who really like to dance and have fun on the boat. :D We sail on May 6!

Actually, we're planning to sail on the Voyager in 2008, and that will be our first cruise on any ship other than the Rhapsody. I hear that lots of people think the Rhapsody has the friendliest service of all the ships in RCCL's fleet, but I know that some of the bigger, newer ships have lots more bells and whistles that I'm looking forward to checking out.

Judging by your signature, you've been cruising regularly since you were about 5 years old. What's your favorite ship, and favorite dance club onboard, so far?

Laura

Well, the obvious solution is that you need to grab a few dozen of your craziest friends and book the May 6 sailing of the Rhapsody so that we won't have a problem filling up the VCL. ;)

Nitra and her crew and me and mine will do our best to hold it down in any event.

So, it appears you've been cruising since you were about 5 years old. Which ship has been your favorite? Nitra's buddy Fausto and his partner Brian go on about a bajillion cruises a year and they say they find the Rhapsody the friendliest. But I always love to hear lots of opinions. It keeps things stirred up!

Laura

Well, the obvious solution is that you need to grab a few dozen of your craziest friends and book the May 6 sailing of the Rhapsody so that we won't have a problem filling up the VCL. ;)

Nitra and her crew and me and mine will do our best to hold it down in any event.

So, it appears you've been cruising since you were about 5 years old. Which ship has been your favorite? Nitra's buddy Fausto and his partner Brian go on about a bajillion cruises a year and they say they find the Rhapsody the friendliest. But I always love to hear lots of opinions. It keeps things stirred up!

I'm going to miss the nightly Viking Crown Lounge visits when the Rhapsody leaves for Asia. Truly a unique place to be and dance, with all the windows....

Chad: Don't worry about the music in the VCL on the May 6th cruise. The DJ, "Bobby From The Lobby", is our friend....more like Charles' friend. And since this is Charles' birthday cruise, I doubt we will have any problems with the music. Its going to be a fun cruise!!

Fausto

I'm going to miss the nightly Viking Crown Lounge visits when the Rhapsody leaves for Asia. Truly a unique place to be and dance, with all the windows....

Chad: Don't worry about the music in the VCL on the May 6th cruise. The DJ, "Bobby From The Lobby", is our friend....more like Charles' friend. And since this is Charles' birthday cruise, I doubt we will have any problems with the music. Its going to be a fun cruise!!

Fausto

My first glance at the post, I thought it said (Truly a unique place to be and dance, with all the widows) Guess I better quit drinking. Woe is me:confused:

Archived