Mercury overhaul

mgretty

Howdy mgretty!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Need Help Using The Boards? Ask Here! Forum! 04.gif

Thank you for your post regarding the Celebrity Mercury. However, you have posted on the forum where members find the "How to ..." type of information for using Cruise Critic's software such as avatars, signatures, countdown clocks or tickers, attaching pictures, etc. It is not the place for your type of post and the information you seek is off topic here. 05.gif

Per our Guidelines and to help you out, I am moving your thread to the Celebrity Cruises Forum where it will be on topic. The new location for your inquiry is the best location for more of your fellow Cruise Critic members to see it and to be able to help you with information concerning the ship. Also, please feel free to use the Search this Forum feature on the Celebrity Cruises Forum (or any other Cruise Critic forum) with your key word or words to help narrow down the threads you will want to research for even more information.

I hope you don't mind a friendly 05.gif suggestion, but you might want to read FAQ and Guidelines on the bar above. Especially the "Getting Started" section in FAQ. That's where you will see how a new topic should be consistent with the specific forum you choose. It also gives a brief summary of the topics covered in some of the forum sections. Click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php for the list of all the Cruise Critic forums and be sure to read all Announcement and Sticky threads at the top of the various forums for additional information too.

I sincerely hope this will be satisfactory. If you have any other questions about using the Cruise Critic software, use the Search this Forum feature on the Need Help Using The Boards? Ask Here! Forum to see if your inquiry topic has already been asked and answered before. And it probably has, many, many times! 05.gif If not, please feel free to post your inquiry there and we will be happy to try to help you with a solution.

Glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

I heard and read on these boards that the Mercury was going in for renovation in April of this year. I don't think it is anything major like what the Century went thru last year though. Probably just a bedding,carpet and other showable items type of overhaul.

We have just returned from Christmas / New Year Cruise on Mercury though the Panama Canal. At our 2nd CC meeting we were told by the Cruise Director Stuart Turnbull that the forthcoming 2007 refurbishment will not be a major one. Usually Celebrity spend $1.5 million a year on the ship this year it will be $3 million.

Sometimes, drydock is used to maintain the underside of the ship that is normally inaccessible. Sometimes the interior is upgraded at this time, too, but not necessarily anything big - replacing worn carpet, maybe a new hot tub, that sort of stuff.

There was a very recent thread involving a discussion by Celebrity's President who stated that there are no plans right now to overhaul Mercury or Galaxy but they are looking into it based upon the experiences with the Century Overhaul. From past experience, do not believe anything until you read an official announcement from Celebrity. Personnel on board have not been at all accurate about changes in the ships in the past and this includes Captains, cruise directors and right on down to stewards or waiters. If we believed the rumors, Zenith and Horizon would still be in the fleet with hundreds of balconies and the Century would have been stretched so long that it wouldn't need to sail from San Juan to ST. Thomas, it would dock in one place and reach to the other. A drydocks PRIMARY purpose is to maintain things particularly mechanical that can't be done while the ship is in the water and it is not to change bedding or make cosmetic changes, that can all be done while in the water. They may do some things while in drydock but they are incidental to the drydock.

I hate point out the obvious but 3 million is not very much when renovating a ship....Over and above cleaning, repairing and maintaining the hull and mechanical parts - that is a couple of new carpets and maybe a few curtains....

We are booked to sail on the Mercury January29th2007 Mexican Riviera

We also booked the Mercury for after Dry dock to Australia / New Zeland January20th2008 (IF NOT SATISFIED WITH THIS CRUISE AND THOUGHT OF FUTURE DRY DOCK WE WILL CANCLE)

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

This was included in an announcement with statements from "Celebrity’s President Dan Hanrahan" titled "Celebrity Cruises’ ships retain role as “World’s Best” about Celebrity ships ranking so high in the Conde Nast surveys.

It said: "Century ... earned a 16th-place ranking, followed by sister ship, Mercury – which will receive an extensive series of upgrades in April."

So, I wonder what that upgrades it means?

Click here for the entire message from Celebrity:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=0000_WqwLwOiX8k_iRVJdD__awQ:1028etot9?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2007-01-16&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

Mercury will be in drydock between April 13-April 20, 2007.

The last cruise prior to drydock ends in San Diego on April 13.

The first cruise post-drydock begins in San Francisco on April 20.

I would suspect the drydocking will take place in either San Diego, LA or SF.

Now that the debate of "is she, or is she not" going into drydock is finally put to rest, it would be great to learn, officially, what upgrades and repairs are planned.

I am sailing on Mercury on April 20th and have been told it's right after she comes out of drydock...

That should be interesting. Cruise lines often schedule crew changes around drydock, since during the time the ship is out of service there is nothing for the crew to do. Many of them go home, and new ones arrive to take their place. So, you may see some crew getting their sea legs!

Having stepped off the Mercury today, I can report that she will be in San Francisco for 5 days of drydock. Some carpets, upholstery and beds will be replaced as far as cosmetic upgrades. Did not hear about any mechanical repairs, but that does not mean none will take place. There are things that can be improved upon and upgraded as far as cosmetics in addition to what they have planned, but guess they will have to wait for the next drydock...

I am still curious why the drydock was shortned from 24 to 5 days Never got a answer to that.

I felt the crew was short staffed and not in the best of spirits on this 11 day Mexican Riviera sailing. In addition, some of the dishes were not up to Celebrity standards. Overall the cruise was great, just not what I am used to from Celebrity.

No offen dk but when we sailed in the Baltics summer 23005 our Head Waiter you we had been on several cruises with told us about Horizon leaving and even when she was...also about the new ships they were getting from other lines and also the new builts...he was right on on everything he told us. They have an inside track sometimes;

No offen dk but when we sailed in the Baltics summer 23005 our Head Waiter you we had been on several cruises with told us about Horizon leaving and even when she was...also about the new ships they were getting from other lines and also the new builts...he was right on on everything he told us. They have an inside track sometimes;

The press release for those items you mentioned such as the Horizon and the New Builds had already been made by summer of 2005. Just because there are so many rumors, they are bound to get something right eventually.

Archived