Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Well, that's my foot sorted out (I hope). Had the operation yesterday and am now banned from travel for three months so Oceana should be Ok for January God Willing.

I see the divers have been sent back into Concordia - I hope they find the two missing people, for their relatives sake.

Enjoy your enforced rest, Sharon, whilst planning your next cruise on Oceana.

I was trying to remember when I first got a locking drawer in my inside cabin. I think it was on Royal Viking. In those days, I never locked my cabin door then, as the years went by, I would leave for dinner then come back "home" to find my door locked by the night stewardess. I would walk up to Reception, get the spare key, open the door, walk back to return the key. After several times of this happening, I asked the night Receptionist if it was recommended that we lock our cabin doors. She silently nodded so I wore a large safety pin hidden in the folds of my dress clothes so as to get into my cabin after dinner.

When did ships first have locking drawers or safes? I read a story about, back in the day, some super-rich man who had his safe lifted onto an ocean liner for a 5-day crossing to the UK. I don't have, nor want to carry, expensive jewelry on a ship - I don't hang around with that kind of crowd onboard.

Do y'all use your safes nowadays? I use it for currency collected along the way and the oh-so-valuable wooden necklaces from Africa - stuff like that. I've never really needed an in-room safe but I do use it for silly things. And I lock my cabin door. You?

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

Every cabin I have ever had has had a safe - of varying sizes. But since they can be retro-fitted it's hard to know which were original. The only ship that I have sailed on that had a locking drawer was Balmoral (ex. Norwegian Crown, Crown Odyssey).

I always keep passport (when not needed ashore), currency, credit cards (I always bring two or three and then just take one ashore), home and car keys and jewellery in it. (Yes I do normally bring a little "good" stuff to wear in the evenings). It just annoys me that they so often "hide" the safe in the back of the wardrobe where it catches on clothes and means a caving expedition to get anything out.

And yes - I have always locked my cabin door although I can only remember QE2 that needed you to lock it after you. Most others have self locked. I have had to get the night purser up on a couple of occasions when I locked myself out; rushing to grab a camera after dinner for one stunning sunset in Greenland was one time. We had separate cruise cards and cabin door cards on that ship and I threw it on the bed as I went in. I didn't notice because I could still by a drink with my cruise card and it was around 1am when I wanted to go to bed!

I can't remember there being a safe in my cabin, when I first cruised overseas. I cruised in a four berth cabin, with three strangers, organised by the cruiseline, on both Queen Frederica and Chusan.

Nowadays, I put everything in which can fit into the safe, including iPad, Camera, etc.

Edited by MMDown Under

• 2 weeks later...

This is a new cruise line, an offshoot of American Cruise Lines which plies the rivers and great lakes of the US. Pearl Mist will begin sailing in June 2014. I talked to a charming res lady and, in August, booked two cruises, from Montreal to Miami, for next October. My mindset was that I could cancel "up to 91 days" if necessary.

My house is aging as is its owner. Recently I replaced my entire HVAC system for a pretty penny, almost the cost of the cruise. So I called PSC to cancel and was told that an administrative fee would be deducted, amounting to a total of $500 out of my $1,800 deposit. And oh by the way, I could not verbally cancel nor send an email. I am required to send a letter via certified mail, return receipt requested, to get the refund. I was never told any of this during my phone booking.

Take from this what you will. I consider myself lucky to escape the financial clutches of Pearl Seas Cruises.

Ruby

Sorry for your issues with Pearl Seas Cruises but, from a UK perspective, that would still be a good deal for us. If we cancel for any reason at all after booking we forfeit the whole deposits. Normally I would only cancel if vitally necessary (ill health etc) and thus it would be covered by my travel insurance.

Some lines allow us to rebook a different cruise at a difference time as long as it is of equal value or more, in which case we "only" have to pay a £100 admin fee.

What we can never do, and what appears to be normal in the USA, is to maybe book two or three cruises with the intention of only actually sailing on one. There was a long discussion on the Oceania thread about this as they have altered their rules to stop this happening.

I'm not saying this is what you did Ruby, but just to illustrate how the different countries work re cruise bookings.

This is a new cruise line, an offshoot of American Cruise Lines which plies the rivers and great lakes of the US. Pearl Mist will begin sailing in June 2014. I talked to a charming res lady and, in August, booked two cruises, from Montreal to Miami, for next October. My mindset was that I could cancel "up to 91 days" if necessary.

My house is aging as is its owner. Recently I replaced my entire HVAC system for a pretty penny, almost the cost of the cruise. So I called PSC to cancel and was told that an administrative fee would be deducted, amounting to a total of $500 out of my $1,800 deposit. And oh by the way, I could not verbally cancel nor send an email. I am required to send a letter via certified mail, return receipt requested, to get the refund. I was never told any of this during my phone booking.

Take from this what you will. I consider myself lucky to escape the financial clutches of Pearl Seas Cruises.

Ruby

I can understand your shock when you weren't advised of the cancellation conditions at the time of booking. $500 administrative fee is excessive. After all, the cruise line won't commence sailing until June, 2014.

As Sharon said, we loose our deposits on cancellation, hence my reluctance to book a long way ahead.

What is HVAC?

I can understand your shock when you weren't advised of the cancellation conditions at the time of booking.

There are usually hidden conditions to surprise us. In 2008 David and I bought a washer and dryer, and paid a $260 warranty that any repairs that might be necessary within five years would be paid by the company. If no repairs needed to be done, then we would get the $260 back. Lo and behold ... when we called to claim our money, they said that we first must buy something else from their company at twice that amount within 90 days, after which they would refund us our $260. We protested that we were never informed about this condition, but they just shrugged.

I told David that from now on, we won't bother with any warranties because new household items usually work just fine.

BTW, I am reading Victor Hugo's 1,200-page Les Miserables that I bought in the Juneau bookstore during my last cruise, and so far, after 420 pages, I just love it. Way better than Ulysses and even Don Quixote. I think that it was how it was translated from 19th Century French into modern English that made it eminently readable.

Donald.

What is HVAC?

HVAC is heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems. Back when I was married and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, I was married to a mechanical engineer and became interested in how artificial systems affect the comfort of our lives. A bit of a giggle - when my husband came home from work one day, I told him I thought I saw a bit of green colour on our TV and did that mean that it would become a colour TV? He smiled and explained why it would always be black-and-white.

There are usually hidden conditions to surprise us. I told David that from now on, we won't bother with any warranties because new household items usually work just fine.

BTW, I am reading Victor Hugo's 1,200-page Les Miserables that I bought in the Juneau bookstore during my last cruise, and so far, after 420 pages, I just love it. Way better than Ulysses and even Don Quixote. I think that it was how it was translated from 19th Century French into modern English that made it eminently readable. Donald.

Zowie! How much does that book weigh? Good to hear you are enjoying it.

I gave up on buying warranties on smaller items. As you say, there's always a trick to it. I try to do my research before purchase and, fingers crossed, hope that I'll never need a warrantee. And don't get me started on "bonded and certified" for journeymen repair guys. If your gold ring is missing from the jewelry box, your claim will be turned over to the insurance company's lawyers and you'll spend years getting nothing.

Marion - Do y'all always have wildfires at this time of year? It seems that you have that horror seasonably and we do in Texas with tornadoes each year. I hope all is well with you and your family.

Ruby

No, we don't usually have bushfires so early in the year, as it is only Spring.

The bushfires in New South Wales are widespread. The major Blue Mountains area fire, State Mine Fire, has a 300 klm firefront. There is concern that it will soon join with the Mt Victoria bushfire, which has a 60 klm firefront. In a worse case scenario, they are concerned that this mega fire could join the Springwood fire, where so many houses were lost. This fire has flared up again and is out of control. Weather conditions are expected to worsen mid week.

Over 200 homes have been lost, but fortunately there has only been one loss of life of a man who had a heart attack trying to defend his home.

The Rural Fire Service, which is made up of volunteers from all walks of life, do a wonderful job. Our new PM, who has been a member for years, did a 14 hr stint at the weekend.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au

• 2 weeks later...
Huzzah! A successful surgery and a cruise to celebrate. And a new booking on QM2. Does it get any better?

What is the recovery period for your surgery? Can you drive? Remind me - is the Oceana cruise to the Caribbean?

Ruby

Yes Oceana is to the Caribbean Ruby. The recovery is 3 months or more for full normality but I should be OK-ish for QM2 and she's only going to Brussels and Le Havre.

I can drive now the pin isn't sticking out any more. I did walk down town today but feel I probably overdid it. It's hard to judge since it can be fine for the first 5 mins and then it starts to hurt. I need to pace myself better I think and I need to continue to wear sandals for a little longer - thank goodness it hasn't been too cold yet!

Yes Oceana is to the Caribbean Ruby. The recovery is 3 months or more for full normality but I should be OK-ish for QM2 and she's only going to Brussels and Le Havre.

I can drive now the pin isn't sticking out any more. I did walk down town today but feel I probably overdid it. It's hard to judge since it can be fine for the first 5 mins and then it starts to hurt. I need to pace myself better I think and I need to continue to wear sandals for a little longer - thank goodness it hasn't been too cold yet!

Pleased you are making a good recovery from your surgery, Sharon.

WOW - QM2 plus a Caribbean cruise on Oceana.

A couple of questions. Is QM2 an ocean liner and is Oceana a small ship? Should be quite a contrast.

Pleased you are making a good recovery from your surgery, Sharon.

WOW - QM2 plus a Caribbean cruise on Oceana.

A couple of questions. Is QM2 an ocean liner and is Oceana a small ship? Should be quite a contrast.

Thanks Marion - although a slight setback - one wound still hasn't healed so iodine dressing (oooh - that stings) and swabs taken.

Yes - QM2 is a real ocean liner with long foredeck to break up big waves etc and very big - although a low passenger ratio mean she never feels that big inside and there are never any crowds. Oceana is not that small - 77,000 tons - so about the same as Aurora - a nice size IMO for long cruises as there is enough to do but not too many other people. QM2 is just four nights - long enough to visit the Xmas markets of Brussels and Rouen and have one sea day and the way the days fall mean I don't need to take any annual leave :)

Thanks Marion - although a slight setback - one wound still hasn't healed so iodine dressing (oooh - that stings) and swabs taken.

Yes - QM2 is a real ocean liner with long foredeck to break up big waves etc and very big - although a low passenger ratio mean she never feels that big inside and there are never any crowds. Oceana is not that small - 77,000 tons - so about the same as Aurora - a nice size IMO for long cruises as there is enough to do but not too many other people. QM2 is just four nights - long enough to visit the Xmas markets of Brussels and Rouen and have one sea day and the way the days fall mean I don't need to take any annual leave :)

Hope the wound heals soon before your cruise, Sharon.

I saw QM2 in Sydney and it looked absolutely huge. However, I'd love to cruise on a real ocean liner. I wonder how many ocean liners are still cruising.

Ah, I well remember those days when you tried to take as much leave as possible without depleting your annual leave!

This year you can take ten days' leave with the loss of only three days' annual leave, between Easter and Anzac Day here.

I have met and appreciated so many Filipinos on my cruises. And now so many of their families were in harm's way of Haiyan.

To all the many hotel staff on so many of my ships, I wish them safety and health in their families. They work so hard to make us happy and now they have the ultimate worry for their relatives back home.

I wonder if the "college" for potential ship staff is still upright and functioning in the Phillipines. It is instrumental in training then placing so many hotel staff workers.

Raymundo, my butler on Silversea, was going to finish out his contract and leave the seven seas to work with his brother on a farm. He was so happy to be going home. My wishes go out to him and to all the other kind, efficient staff who have been so instrumental in making my voyages so successful.

Ruby

Carnival UK (P&O and Cunard) have set up a JustGiving fund raising site for passengers who wish to help Filipino crew members and their families. The money goes direct to the Disasters Emergency Committee.

It's scary how pictures from some of the places look like Hiroshima after the A-bomb. I would completely understand the concern of Filipino staff who are on cruise ships and who have homes or relatives in the affected area.

Donald.

I seem to remember that you are sailing on Silversea in Africa during the upcoming holiday season, perhaps at the first of the year.

As this thread creeps ever closer to 300,000 Views, an astounding number, remind me of your travel plans. Is your air routed thru Jo'burg then on to CPT?

What hotel are you staying at in Cape Town and what is your itinerary?

Ruby