Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

When we booked this trip aboard Silver Cloud back in April, it seemed a long way off but now it's just 4 weeks and counting. We fly non-stop from JFK to Jo'burg where we change planes for Cape Town where we will be staying at the Mount Nelson Hotel. We chose it because of its central location and because it reportedly has beautiful gardens. I believe you enjoyed the V&A waterfront Cape Grace, also praised by Duct Tape. I have thought about changing but right now we are still holding reservations at the Mount Nelson. We board Silver Wind on the 21st and will be aboard for both Christmas and New Years. We're trying to figure out how we can decorate the cabin for the holidays...something small from our home collection or should we pick up something small while we're in Cape Town. I wonder how the line would feel if we bought a small table top tree?

Silver Wind has spent the last two weeks in dry dock at the Fincantieri yard in Palermo where Silver Cloud underwent refurbishment last year. Many of the same decorative changes are to be installed on the Wind so our expectation is that she will be in great shape when we board.

I posted the itinerary earlier but here it is again if you want to follow along:

Dec 21 2013 Sat Cape Town, South Africa 6:00 PM

Dec 22 2013 Sun Day at Sea

Dec 23 2013 Mon Walvis Bay, Namibia 2:00 PM

Dec 24 2013 Tue Walvis Bay, Namibia 2:00 PM

Dec 25 2013 Wed Day at Sea

Dec 26 2013 Thu Day at Sea

Dec 27 2013 Fri Port Elizabeth, South Africa 1:00 PM 10:00 PM

Dec 28 2013 Sat East London, South Africa 8:00 AM 2:00 PM

Dec 29 2013 Sun Durban, South Africa 8:00 AM 11:00 PM

Dec 30 2013 Mon Richards Bay, South Africa 8:00 AM

Dec 31 2013 Tue Richards Bay, South Africa 7:00 PM

Jan 01 2014 Wed Day at Sea

Jan 02 2014 Thu Mossel Bay, South Africa 1:00 PM 6:00 PM

Jan 03 2014 Fri Cape Town, South Africa 12:00 PM

Jan 04 2014 Sat Cape Town, South Africa

Update: Just posted and then saw that you found the itinerary.

Edited by Conte Di Savoia

I printed out your itinerary for this trip and will follow along with fond memories of my April trip. I'm still puzzled about your port in Namibia then the ship taking a hard left and visiting east coast ports. Are y'all doing Dinner in the Desert? As much as it was touted beforehand, it certainly lived up to my expectations. Duct Tape said that everyone should experience this lovely event and she was right.

I'm sure that Christmas and New Year's will be quite the celebration on Silver Wind. I'll be keen to hear if the pax put on their best bib-and-tucker. What a wonderful cruise!

You and me, Conte. This thread started in 2007 and it was sinking like a stone until you stepped up. Now we are over 300,000 Views. When I have Geek Squad at my house, I show the techie this thread and they are amazed. I miss Michael Druquer and Fran. And my thanks to all of you posters and lurkers who have contributed to making this thread such a success.

A digression about your cabin door decorations - once upon a time, not on S/S, I received a lovely, huge greeting card from a crew member. I went to Reception to get Scotch tape to put it on the door. The lady in Reception asked me, in the kindest way, not to post it on the door so I didn't. On the other hand, my Africa cruise was a part of the World Cruise and one cabin door was literally covered with magnets from their ports of call. It was like wallpaper.

So I'll be looking forward to hearing how S/S feels about individual gestures for the holidays. I'm bettin' that the only requirement is good taste.

Ruby

Have a wonderful time Conte. Last year we bought a small artificial tree from the Pound shop - I expect you have your own version of these? - for the cabin and used battery operated lights on it. There was no problem. We always switched it off if we weren't there. The only no-no was a small wreath on the outside of the cabin door as these had been banned as a safety hazard!

What a wonderful cruise, Conte.

What a wonderful hotel, the Mount Nelson Hotel, pre cruise in Cape Town. I hope you have time to relax and enjoy the gardens and afternoon tea there.

I'll be following along, like Ruby, and thinking of you, especially as you celebrate Christmas and New Year.

• 2 weeks later...
Happy Thanksgiving everyone in the US.

I hope no-one is caught in the snow, whilst trying to visit family for the holidays.

Happy Thanksgiving to our American friends! Would you believe that right now it is colder in Dallas than it is here in Vancouver? Stay warm, Ruby.

Donald.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone in the US. I hope no-one is caught in the snow, whilst trying to visit family for the holidays.

Marion - thanks for the holiday wishes. Our Thanksgiving is a gluttony of food and fast shopping to get good prices on holiday gifts. I'm a fan of online shopping - being run over in a store at midnight by a teenager is not for me.

Happy Thanksgiving to our American friends! Would you believe that right now it is colder in Dallas than it is here in Vancouver? Stay warm, Ruby. Donald.

Donald - Yes, I believe that it is/was colder in Dallas than Vancouver. In Texas, we have at least 5 seasons a month. Y'all think of seasons; I think of weather week-to-week and completely unpredictable. Example: This week will be in the '70s then Friday will not get out of the '30s. That's why I could not live in Hawaii - the weather is always the same.

Conte - will y'all be doing the Dinner in the Desert shorex? Duct Tape says we have to and, I must admit, she was right.

Sharon - I was reading the paper that our Thanksgiving meals are becoming popular in the UK. Evidently Whole Foods started the trend. I had to laugh when a Brit was astounded to learn of the joys of pumpkin pie. His exact comment was, "A vegetable in a pie?" He was incredulous. From my side of the Pond,, I say, try it, you'll like it!

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

Marion - thanks for the holiday wishes. Our Thanksgiving is a gluttony of food and fast shopping to get good prices on holiday gifts. I'm a fan of online shopping - being run over in a store at midnight by a teenager is not

Sharon - I was reading the paper that our Thanksgiving meals are becoming popular in the UK. Evidently Whole Foods started the trend. I had to laugh when a Brit was astounded to learn of the joys of pumpkin pie. His exact comment was, "A vegetable in a pie?" He was incredulous. From my side of the Pond,, I say, try it, you'll like it!

Ruby

Ah those Thanksgiving coupons - 75 percent off - we thought we had died and gone to heaven, as we staggered out with our bargains! No midnight shopping though we tried it once!!

I didn't like pumpkin pie, nor yams and marshmallows - I think you have to be born to it, like vegemite.

Conte - will y'all be doing the Dinner in the Desert shorex? Duct Tape says we have to and, I must admit, she was right. Ruby

Good question, but one for which I don't have an answer. I've heard about this excursion which gets rave reviews, however, it is not listed in our book of tours. We do have an overnight in Namibia so there should be time for it. If it is available we will book it.

Can someone tell me why Fred. Olsen has the full stop in its name and is always used? I have a vague memory of the answer but don't want to have to run it upside-down backwards on the Web.

A fond remembrance of Nelson Mandela who was such a pioneer in his country after suffering and surviving abuse at the hands of the politicos in power. He is and was a giant of our time. Conte's cruise comes at a historical time in the history of South Africa.

Ruby

Hi Ruby - I would assume is a rare example of correct grammar in that it is the shortened version of Frederick?

Indeed, Nelson Mandela exhibited true Christian values of forgiveness and extraordinary skills to bring about peaceful change. A giant indeed.

Edited by Host Sharon

Thought of you Ruby! WHEn I Caught ferry near White City Wharf to see SILVER Shadow, but it wasn't there. :)

Diamond Princess is at the OPT in Sydney on a perfect sunny summer's day.

Cruised the Hawkesbury on Riverboat Postman Cruise on another perfect day yesterday.

Thought of you Ruby! WHEn I Caught ferry near White City Wharf to see SILVER Shadow, but it wasn't there.Cruised the Hawkesbury on Riverboat Postman Cruise on another perfect day yesterday.

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego? Where are you, Marion? I don't recognize some of your references but want to hear about your trip. Are you local or overseas? I really admire the way you and your husband are inveterate travelers.

Conte - you will be walking into historic times in South Africa. What day or date do you leave from NYC to Jo'burg?

Ruby

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego? Where are you, Marion? I don't recognize some of your references but want to hear about your trip. Are you local or overseas? I really admire the way you and your husband are inveterate travelers.

Conte - you will be walking into historic times in South Africa. What day or date do you leave from NYC to Jo'burg?

Ruby

Oops, Ruby, I was on holidays in Sydney. Whilst in Sydney, I take the ferries to check out all the visiting ships. White City Wharf is the new cruise ship wharf past the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The Hawkesbury River is a beautiful region just north of Sydney.

South Africa has been in my thoughts also following the passing of Mandela. I signed the condolence book at the Opera House, as he was such an inspiration to the world.

Like you, I've been thinking of Conte being in South Africa at such a memorable time.

I was listening to the biography of Mandela on our national radio and learned a lot that I didn't know. But the best factoid was that "Soweto" is (So)uth (We)stern (To)wnship compacted into that acronym.

You have me smiling about signing the Mandela condolence book at the Opera House. I'm happy to have a friend who can do that on a local basis.

Ruby

We're in our packing frenzy now, surrounded by bags yet to be filled with our tuxedos and what look like all our other earthly possessions. Is it enough or too much? Meanwhile, it's snowing outside but we are expected to only accumulate about 2"....not enough to interfere with our flight on Monday morning. Hard to believe that it will be summer in a couple of days! This morning we received a call from the hotel where we are staying to confirm our arrival and transfer arrangements and also to inform us that they are giving us an upgrade! I was impressed with their efficiency.

While we will be missing the Mandela funeral, it is a particularly poignant time to be visiting South Africa. A trip to Robin's island will be a must.

Edited by Conte Di Savoia

Hard to believe that it will be summer in a couple of days! This morning we received a call from the hotel where we are staying to confirm our arrival and transfer arrangements and also to inform us that they are giving us an upgrade! I was impressed with their efficiency.

While we will be missing the Mandela funeral, it is a particularly poignant time to be visiting South Africa. A trip to Robin's island will be a must.

I'm a Big Fan of antepodal travel. When I arrived home from Africa in May, the Texas summer heat was cranking up so I didn't really have relief from the heat of an African summer. But my memories far exceed concerns of heat.

As you begin your travel adventure tomorrow, I send all best wishes for you to have a most marvelous visit in South Africa and for your Silversea cruise.

Enjoy!

Ruby

We're in our packing frenzy now, surrounded by bags yet to be filled with our tuxedos and what look like all our other earthly possessions. Is it enough or too much? Meanwhile, it's snowing outside but we are expected to only accumulate about 2"....not enough to interfere with our flight on Monday morning. Hard to believe that it will be summer in a couple of days! This morning we received a call from the hotel where we are staying to confirm our arrival and transfer arrangements and also to inform us that they are giving us an upgrade! I was impressed with their efficiency.

You should be able to take less, seeing you are going into summer weather, or at least your luggage should be lighter.

Excellent customer service from the hotel to start your holidays.

I watched Mandela's funeral on TV this morning and it was very long. Felt sorry for the guests they filmed asleep, towards the end.

Your trip to Robin's Island will be very special, at this time.

Happy holidays everyone - of all kinds. Have a great cruise Conte. Hope no-one gets snowed in. I am just back from a great four days to the Xmas markets on QM2 - perfect weather - cold but bright and sunny. Just right for those frequent glasses of gluwein/caribou and hot waffles.

Now must get head around packing for the warmth (I hope) of the Caribbean. Like Conte - it's hard when you leave in cold and hopefully go to hot as you need clothes of both kinds, at least a few.

Happy holidays everyone - of all kinds. Have a great cruise Conte. Hope no-one gets snowed in. I am just back from a great four days to the Xmas markets on QM2 - perfect weather - cold but bright and sunny. Just right for those frequent glasses of gluwein/caribou and hot waffles.

Now must get head around packing for the warmth (I hope) of the Caribbean. Like Conte - it's hard when you leave in cold and hopefully go to hot as you need clothes of both kinds, at least a few.

Delighted to hear that you had perfect weather for your QM2 Christmas Markets cruise, Sharon.

Took me awhile to get my head around the fact that it can be sunny, yet still freezing. I expected some warmth from the sun. :)

When do you cruise to Caribbean? I am packing for camping at a Folk Festival. Of course, it will rain and it will be hot!

Ruby - I was also surprised when I learnt how Soweto came to be named.

All - Wishing you all the joys of Christmas, good health and every happiness in the New Year.

Edited by MMDown Under

When do you cruise to Caribbean? I am packing for camping at a Folk Festival. Of course, it will rain and it will be hot!

All - Wishing you all the joys of Christmas, good health and every happiness in the New Year.

Err - yes well it was quite a shock as I had in my head - after Christmas - then it dawned on me I leave in 10 days!! Help!!

To our readers, both overt and covert, I send best wishes for a safe and healthy holiday season. It's so much fun watching people north of the equator travel to the warmth and sun of equatorial south. I, o' course, seek out cooler climes - it's the only time I wear my winter coat.

I look forward to hearing stories and details from all our travelers. You inspire me to keep going, keep meeting new people and places, keep on keepin' on.

Best holiday wishes to all,

Ruby

How is your foot? Will you be able to wear sandals in the Caribbean? Are you satisfied with your recuperation?

Do we know which islands you will be visiting? Will you packing a hand fan to keep the heat away?

Have a wonderful cruise, Sharon!

Ruby

How is your foot? Will you be able to wear sandals in the Caribbean? Are you satisfied with your recuperation?

Do we know which islands you will be visiting? Will you packing a hand fan to keep the heat away?

Have a wonderful cruise, Sharon!

Ruby

Foot is not too bad Ruby, although I don't think it looks very nice, but I will be able to wear sandals - in fact they should be more comfortable. We are due to visit Madeira, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, Guadeloupe, St Maarten, Tortola, St Barts, Antigua and The Azores, although I am not sure what effect the recent heavy rain in St Lucia might have to our itinerary. No fan - but a couple of tins of Magicool - it's brilliant! Need to finish packing this weekend, then a couple more days at work and that's it :) Just need to get over this wretched cold and cough I have had over Christmas!