Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Hi everyone - just completed the proof reading for the latest book - A year in the Life of the P&O Cruises Fleet! Now trying to pack for Nautica, whilst trying to fit in surgery on my foot hence the stressed tone!!

Rain - not here! Still in 80-90 degree heatwave as is Southern Spain! We did have a couple of bad overnight storms which caused flash flooding as the ground was so dry it couldn't absorb the water, but otherwise sun, sun, sun. There were however floods in central Europe which caused the cancellation of Danube cruises etc. Not sure what the situation is now though.

Enjoy the sunshine, Donald and keep out of the heat, Ruby.

I left London in a heatwave. It seemed strange to see the grass in Kensington Gardens and other Parks and Gardens brown. However, it was lovely to see so many families out enjoying the hot weather, paddling in Princess Diana's Fountain, etc.

The roses in Queen Mary's Rose Garden in Regent's Park were spectacular.

We are having a mild winter here and Sydney recorded its hottest July on record.

I enjoyed my travels in Cornwall and London, prior to our cruise and stayed at some wonderful B&Bs in Cornwall. In addition, my first use of a room through Airbnb was a success.

The cruise on Ocean Princess, to Iceland and Norway, was wonderful, with only 2 repeat ports of call.

Hi everyone - just completed the proof reading for the latest book - A year in the Life of the P&O Cruises Fleet! Now trying to pack for Nautica, whilst trying to fit in surgery on my foot hence the stressed tone!!

Rain - not here! Still in 80-90 degree heatwave as is Southern Spain! We did have a couple of bad overnight storms which caused flash flooding as the ground was so dry it couldn't absorb the water, but otherwise sun, sun, sun. There were however floods in central Europe which caused the cancellation of Danube cruises etc. Not sure what the situation is now though.

Bon Voyage for your next cruise on Nautica, Sharon.

Must be a relief to have completed proof reading of your latest book, which sounds like a big topic to cover.

Hope all goes well with surgery to your foot.

Conte - Your cruise to South Africa sounds wonderful. It has been many years since I cruised around South Africa, choosing not to do the land option from Cape Town to Durban. The latter, with its beaches, reminded me of Queensland, where I live.

Edited by MMDown Under

Hi everyone - just completed the proof reading for the latest book - A year in the Life of the P&O Cruises Fleet! Now trying to pack for Nautica, whilst trying to fit in surgery on my foot hence the stressed tone!! There were however floods in central Europe which caused the cancellation of Danube cruises etc. Not sure what the situation is now though.

About the time I turned my attention to river cruising in Europe, there were all sorts of weather complications about too little water, too much water - I didn't feel like taking motor coaches from stop to stop on the Danube so I never enjoyed the experience. Sorry I missed prime time on river cruises.

Your book covers a day in the life of P&O? Holy homework! Congrats on producing this tome. I don't see how you proofread your own work but I very much admire your industry in all things maritime.

Just curious - how did you wind up choosing Nautica? I was booked on Oceania for South America when I saw the words "Suez Canal" in the brochure so off I went for one of the best cruises I ever booked. I loved that ship but I have you written down more as a classical ship lover.

All best wishes for a wonderful cruise and a healthy foot.

Ruby

About the time I turned my attention to river cruising in Europe, there were all sorts of weather complications about too little water, too much water - I didn't feel like taking motor coaches from stop to stop on the Danube so I never enjoyed the experience. Sorry I missed prime time on river

Ruby

Ruby, I felt the same way about missing prime time on river cruising on the Danube.

I loved our river cruise, with land content, "Rivers of Holland" in 2003, which was perfect. It featured three fascinating themes - art, World War II and water.

Nothing has appealed since until I just saw - River Cruising - Bit of a Blog - M/s Chardonnay - Cote d'Azur to Paris - 1 August! See what you think.

Very impressed to see any thread on any forum lasting 6 years!

You have me smiling. We count the statistics as the Views grow higher but it never occurred to me to count years. What a hoot!

May I ask where Medway is located? Which side of the pond are you on?

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

Ruby - Medway is the UK, "up north" from me!

Proof reading - well, we are not the only people reading it, but we have to check the right caption is with the right image and that the images are in the proper places - something only we can do.

As for Nautica - I am always up for trying new lines (within reason) and Oceania had been on my radar for years. Then this little bargain popped into my inbox one day, sailing to and from Southampton to make life easier and visiting four ports new to me and two in Norway I wanted to return to one day. Nautica is one of the old R ships (R5), the same as P&O's Adonia so I know what the ship will be like to some extent. It will be interesting to compare the two!

As for river cruising - I loved the two I did in the '70s but somehow have never got back to it.

I didn't realise you were heading down to Cornwall Marion - you must driven right past me on the M5!

Edited by Host Sharon

As for Nautica - I am always up for trying new lines (within reason) and Oceania had been on my radar for years. Then this little bargain popped into my inbox one day, sailing to and from Southampton to make life easier and visiting four ports new to me and two in Norway I wanted to return to one day. Nautica is one of the old R ships (R5), the same as P&O's Adonia so I know what the ship will be like to some extent. It will be interesting to compare the two!

As for river cruising - I loved the two I did in the '70s but somehow have never got back to it.

I didn't realise you were heading down to Cornwall Marion - you must driven right past me on the M5!

Is Nautica the same design as Ocean Princess? Sounds like an interesting cruise, esp with 4 new ports and 2 in Norway. What is the itinerary?

I found London accommodation was so expensive in peak social season, June, I decided to head to Cornwall, starting with the Cornwall Royal Agricultural Show in Wadebridge, which I absolutely loved. I travelled direct from Heathrow Airport on National Express Coach, which probably travelled on the M5. Could have waved as we flew past! :)

Yes Marion - Ocean Princess was R4. We visit Edinburgh (from Rosyth), Invergordon, Alesund, Geiranger/Hellesylt, Belfast, Dublin, Cork and Portland. The last will be a bit odd since I can drive it from home, but different. I have to say that since the Oceania tour prices are astronomical, we have been booking private tours where we are not just doing our own thing, and it has been the hardest work ever for a cruise! Normally I just potter ashore, get a HoHo bus or book a ship's tour but this time we have had to do our research :)

The only downside is that my hoped-for operation on my foot (Morton's Neuroma and hammertoe) will not now be before the cruise so I am having to experiment with which combination of painkillers works best for walking ashore.

Yes Marion - Ocean Princess was R4. We visit Edinburgh (from Rosyth), Invergordon, Alesund, Geiranger/Hellesylt, Belfast, Dublin, Cork and Portland. The last will be a bit odd since I can drive it from home, but different. I have to say that since the Oceania tour prices are astronomical, we have been booking private tours where we are not just doing our own thing, and it has been the hardest work ever for a cruise! Normally I just potter ashore, get a HoHo bus or book a ship's tour but this time we have had to do our research :)

The only downside is that my hoped-for operation on my foot (Morton's Neuroma and hammertoe) will not now be before the cruise so I am having to experiment with which combination of painkillers works best for walking ashore.

Thanks, Sharon. Great ports. I hope you have better weather in UK ports then your last cruise.

The Internet is wonderful for looking up medical conditions such as your Morton's Neuroma and hammertoe. I could have even watched an operation. No, thanks! I can see why you would need pain killers on a walking holiday.

I have to say that since the Oceania tour prices are astronomical, we have been booking private tours where we are not just doing our own thing, and it has been the hardest work ever for a cruise!

I think that all the higher-priced cruises have tour prices that are over the moon. I spend time on the Web trying to dodge the coach tours and Uncle Fud staying overtime in the gift shop looking for a Tee for his nephew.

Then there's the "fun" of trying to find a guide and car in a small location, like the Orkneys. I sent an email to the Orkneys' tourism office, asking for a referral to a car and guide. They sent back a note that the few cars and guides on the islands were taken up by my cruise ship and no individual services were available. Sure enough, in the small tour bus, our excellent guide pointed out his farm as we passed by.

I get really confused about which ship and which tour I took. Over the many years, the locales stand out but the ship is a faded memory. Do y'all do that? Sorting out the ship by port is a toughie for me. But I did so much enjoy Geiranger - clean, well-organized, beautiful sailing, curio shops with something for everyone. Wunderbar.

Edinburgh surprised me. I cherish my time at the Castle and the vivid memories of history. I didn't know there was a 1:00pm (?) gun; I was leaning against the parapet looking at that glorious view, when tourists came rushing up beside me. I looked down and, on the next level below me, was the small cannon being prepared for firing.

Get out that camera and bring us some fresh photos. Have a wonderful time, Sharon, and best of luck with that bothersome toe problem.

Ruby

Cameras have yet to be packed but most everything else is ready in the spare room. The problem with trying out new lines is you never know what is supplied or not - like hairdryers - of course I know they have them, but are they fixed in the bathroom or in the main cabin? Hate bathroom dryers - might have to pack my own! The only places now where we are not sure what we are doing is in Lerwick as all the guides are booked, although we can hire a taxi by the hour so thought we'd leave it till we get there and see what the weather is like, and Cork since we are berthing at Ringaskiddy rather than Cobh so again - not sure if there will be a shuttle anywhere useful.

Thanks for the good wishes on the foot - my experimentation with varying pain relief is having mixed and inconsistent effects so I think I will just have to swallow what I can and hope.

There is a noon gun at Valletta in Malta too Ruby - I was just in time to see it fire on both my visits.

0329.JPG

Edited by Host Sharon

It seems that lots of places have these cannons. Vancouver has its 9 O'Clock Gun in Stanley Park which fires every night at that time. It was manufactured in England in 1815 and brought to Vancouver in the late 19th Century and used to be fired at 6 p.m. to signal the end of the fishing day.

Donald.

The only places now where we are not sure what we are doing is in Lerwick as all the guides are booked, although we can hire a taxi by the hour so thought we'd leave it till we get there and see what the weather is like.

0329.JPG

Sharon, We enjoyed "Seabirds and Seals" boat tour in Lerwick (Tom Bradshaw), which you don't have to pay for until arrival.

Had best fish and chips at Fort Cafe, on the street under the fort.

Free internet at Shetland Library Computers on top of the hill. Shetland Museum, on waterfront, was well worth a visit.

Our tablemates caught a public bus to see puffins, but sounded like quite a walk from bus stop. Tourist Information were exceptionally helpful with maps, suggestions what to do, etc.

Sharon, We enjoyed "Seabirds and Seals" boat tour in Lerwick (Tom Bradshaw), which you don't have to pay for until arrival.

Had best fish and chips at Fort Cafe, on the street under the fort.

Free internet at Shetland Library Computers on top of the hill. Shetland Museum, on waterfront, was well worth a visit.

Our tablemates caught a public bus to see puffins, but sounded like quite a walk from bus stop. Tourist Information were exceptionally helpful with maps, suggestions what to do, etc.

Thanks Marion. I was considering that boat trip but my friend is not keen on small boats! Still, if the weather is good I may do it yet. I am told August is the wrong time of year for puffins - but will check with the locals.

Ruby, I felt the same way about missing prime time on river cruising on the Danube.

I loved our river cruise, with land content, "Rivers of Holland" in 2003, which was perfect. It featured three fascinating themes - art, World War II and water.

Nothing has appealed since until I just saw - River Cruising - Bit of a Blog - M/s Chardonnay - Cote d'Azur to Paris - 1 August! See what you think.

On second thoughts, Ruby, this hasn't been a good year to follow European river cruising, what with record flooding, coach trips in lieu of cruising, lock strikes in Germany, lock accidents, and noisy vibrating ships!

On second thoughts, Ruby, this hasn't been a good year to follow European river cruising, what with record flooding, coach trips in lieu of cruising, lock strikes in Germany, lock accidents, and noisy vibrating ships!

I have followed the "river cruise ship trapped in lock" story. A crane had to be brought in from France? The incidents in river cruises seem to be common and, as I said, I don't want to take a bus coach tour of the countryside while the ship is attempting to navigate a flooded or dried-up river. Under average circumstances, I think river cruises would be wunderbar but, with today's crazy weather, I would not want to chance it.

About noonday guns - y'all have me smiling. I missed some of the ones listed but nobody mentioned the Hong Kong gun. Donald - I have not heard the Vancouver gun to end the fishing day altho' on three trips, I was a bit far from Stanley Park. Why would fishermen want to know the end of the fishing day?

Ruby

Donald - I have not heard the Vancouver gun to end the fishing day altho' on three trips, I was a bit far from Stanley Park. Why would fishermen want to know the end of the fishing day?

I dunno ... perhaps at the end of the 19th Century fishermen did not have wristwatches nor wireless apparatus. It could be that the 6 p.m. cannon boom was a safety precaution, to have all the boats back in port and accounted for.

Donald.

I dunno ... perhaps at the end of the 19th Century fishermen did not have wristwatches nor wireless apparatus. It could be that the 6 p.m. cannon boom was a safety precaution, to have all the boats back in port and accounted for.

Donald.

Donald and Ruby,

Wikipedia says that the cannon was brought to Stanley Park in 1894 to warn fishermen of the 6 pm Sunday closing of fishing.

Donald and Ruby,

Wikipedia says that the cannon was brought to Stanley Park in 1894 to warn fishermen of the 6 pm Sunday closing of fishing.

I never thought of Wikipedia ... it can be useful. I heard that Encyclopaedia Britannica is (or will go) online, because people do not buy 24 volumes anymore. I still have the 1983 edition in my den, it is just too good to toss into the trash, plus it cost me about $1,200 then. If the online Britannica charges for access to its site, I will stick with Wikipedia.

As for the 6 pm Sunday closing of fishing in 1894, it might be that the clergymen wanted all of their parishioners in church for the evening services. One stubborn hold back here in British Columbia is that the government liquor stores are closed on Sundays (rolling my eyes).

Donald.

Where are you boarding the Century? What weather are you looking for? Have a wonderful time!

To those of you that I have missed sending best wishes, I think probably Marion and Ships Cat, a belated welcome home and thanks for the memories and photos.

Ruby

I am boarding Century here in Vancouver. The weather forecast for Sunday doesn't look too promising ... "cloudy with showers." My friend - who embarrassed me at Captain's Table two years ago - will be accompanying me again because fog concealed Hubbard Glacier and he couldn't see a thing. At any rate, I am looking forward to a week of relaxation and pampering.

Donald.