Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

. . . but a couple of tins of Magicool - it's brilliant! Need to finish packing this weekend, then a couple more days at work and that's it :) Just need to get over this wretched cold and cough I have had over Christmas!

I don't know what Magicool is but I doubt Sharon will need it when she arrives home to the ghastly storms and cold temps in the UK. How very smart of her to sail to the Caribbean while the weather at home is so bad.

Conte should be home by now. He has left an equatorial cruise in Africa to return to the harsh winter weather in NYC. I wonder if he had to dig out his car at the airport? Reality bites.

We await details on both of their travels. Hearing about tropical, sunny climes beats putting on an extra pair of socks.

Ruby

I don't know what Magicool is but I doubt Sharon will need it when she arrives home to the ghastly storms and cold temps in the UK. How very smart of her to sail to the Caribbean while the weather at home is so bad.

Conte should be home by now. He has left an equatorial cruise in Africa to return to the harsh winter weather in NYC. I wonder if he had to dig out his car at the airport? Reality bites.

We await details on both of their travels. Hearing about tropical, sunny climes beats putting on an extra pair of socks.

Ruby

I'm waiting to hear of their travels also. What a winter welcome home to both, after their travels in the tropics!

Please tell us what Magicool is, Sharon, as I'm sure I could use it here.

It is so hot at present, I'm staying in my swimming costume (togs in Queensland) all day, so I can keep cooling down in the pool.

I'm about to pack for my annual visit to the Australian Tennis Open in Melbourne, where I pack for all weathers, such is Melbourne.

IMG_8366_zps83e442c5.jpg

We returned this past Wednesday from our exciting African Adventure and have finally readjusted to local time after an 18 hour flight back from Jo'burg to NYC. This was one of the greatest trips, a really memorable experience in an exciting and vibrant country at a particularly poignant time in its history. Although we missed Nelson Mandela's funeral by a few days, there were still many moving tributes which were still on going. The people we met were eager, actually very anxious to tell us what Madiba meant to them and how their lives had dramatically changed because of him. While acknowledging that South Africa still has many challenges ahead of it, the citizens, whether Black, White or Colored, were very upbeat and proud of their “rainbow” nation. It was very emotional for us to experience this moment in their history.

So, I’ve gathered a few of the 1000 pictures we took in our three weeks abroad.

Silver Wind berthed at the Victoria and Alfred (V&A) Waterfront in Cape Town.

IMG_8391_zps70c47be3.jpg

Wall of Mandela tributes at the V&A

IMG_7866_zpsd172ba8b.jpg

Table Mountain looms over Cape Town as we sail for Walvis Bay Namibia

IMG_7977_zpsa034ba43.jpg

A dune buggy in the Namib Desert. That's not me!

IMG_8072_zps0013cfdb.jpg

A brave member of our tour volunteered trying on a lizard ear ring. The animal was safely returned to the desert.

IMG_8051_zpsa216cef4.jpg

Later that day aboard ship, carolers in the Dining Room

IMG_8084_zps3caae255.jpg

Zulu folkloric show

IMG_8155_zps0dc28547.jpg

Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe on our post cruise extension

IMG_8500_zpsa0c93654.jpg

We spent two nights at Chobe Chilwero Sanctuary Lodge in Botswana for our safari experience. Here are just a few of the critters we encountered at this fantastic hideaway.

IMG_8622_zps32a52a51.jpg

Nile crocodile....and they're tasty too!

IMG_8697_zps4855dc76.jpg

Your amazing photos give such beautiful memories to what was obviously an outstanding trip.

Did you get to go to Dinner in the Desert? Was that the dune buggy photo?

Your wildlife pix are exciting. Did you really get that close to the crocodile? And the Elephant Walk around your vehicle must have been exciting.

The lizard earring - zowie! A brave fellow to trust that it could be removed!

Was the Zulu folkloric show onboard the ship or elsewhere?

How was your Cape Town hotel?

What a fantastic trip! Thanks for sharing.

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

Did you get to go to Dinner in the Desert? Was that the dune buggy photo?

Silversea no longer offers the fabled dinner in the desert. We had been looking forward to that but it wasn't to be. I'm pretty sure that is a dune buggy.

Your wildlife pix are exciting. Did you really get that close to the crocodile?

That picture was taken with a zoom, but not a very powerful one. So I guess we were pretty close but we were on board a boat.

The lizard earring - zowie! A brave fellow to trust that it could be removed!

DH was asked if he wanted to try one on but he demured saying he already has one earring and that's enough.

Was the Zulu folkloric show onboard the ship or elsewhere?

Off the ship in a recreated Zulu village. It was a bit like Disney but the surviving villages are far removed from the usual tourist spots.

How was your Cape Town hotel?

We had the opportunity to stay at two different hotels. We spent four days on our own pre-cruise at the Mount Nelson also known as the pink lady. It's an old colonial style hotel set in beautiful gardens. Although in the heart of Cape Town it has the feeling of being out in the countryside. After disembarking the ship we spent one night at the Cape Grace, where I believed you stayed on your recent trip. Also very lovely but with a very hip young vibe. Both places were top notch with great service.

Mount Nelson Hotel, Cape Town

IMG_7833_zpse556785a.jpg

The Mount Nelson Hotel reminds me almost exactly of The Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Honolulu. An incredible similarity. The Royal Hawaiian was visible for miles as she stood in majestic solitude on the beach. Now, swarms of hotels visually engulf her.

Cape Grace Hotel reminded me of The Peninsula in Hong Kong. The staff's efficiency and hospitality is almost unmatched. The few "needs" I had were promptly addressed with a gracious spirit.

But I kept bumping into strange problems - no Silversea rep available to offer the schedule for transport to the ship and no hotel staff having that information; I was sent to the ATM in the basement and it was empty; the showerhead was 7' above the marble floor therefore unadjustable, teeny tiny things that got in my way. Harumph!

However, my greatest adventure was the pedicab at the hotel to the V&A for shopping! What fun!

Did you hear the noonday gun on Mount Nelson? I was in CPT for four days and only at the end did I hear it.

Ruby

Conte, I'm very pleased to hear that you and DH enjoyed a cruise and safari that greatly exceeded your expectations. What a pity about the discontinuance of the Dinner in the Desert. The photographs were a marvel to look at.

The Arctic Vortex over northeastern North America must have been a big adjustment after the warmth of South Africa. Vancouver has been spared the deep freeze ... two days ago we enjoyed a high of 12.1 C (53.8 F) which beat the previous record for that day.

Donald.

Sharon - I don't remember how long your cruise to the Caribbean was. Are you enjoying winter again in the UK after a marvy trip to warmer climes?

Conte - I see that winter is quite severe in your part of the country. In Texas, we are braced for freezing temps and biting cold winds but they are not even in the ballpark that you must be facing. I hope all is well and you are safely ensconced in the warmth of your home. Are you and DH attending the Super Bowl in New Jersey? Wa-hahaha!

Marion - what are you and DH planning for travel this year? You always inspire me with your itineraries. I have several magnets on my fridge from Cape Gulhas, the most southern point of Africa, and I smile every time I see them.

Ruby

Have just spent a wonderful Australia Day long weekend in Sydney, with my elder daughter.

Sunday, we picked an uncrowded spot on Sydney Harbour north side to watch all the Aust Day Harbour activity, Inc a special concert from a pontoon, followed by Celtic entertainment under the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Monday, we did a glorious coastal walk from Coogee to Crunulla and back (pity about all the stairs!). Then we had a picnic lunch at Rose Bay on the Harbour, afternoon tea at Vauclause. (? House, then finished with a walk to Neilson Park, on the Harbour, packed with families, picnicking and swimming. Sydney at It's best!

Prior to Sydney, I enjoyed the Australian Tennis Open, in Melbourne, despite four days of extreme heat. The tennis was wonderful, with lots of surprises this year. I always love Melbourne in January, our sporting and cultural Capital. A musical, King Kong, was my Melbourne theatre fix.

Diamond Princess is at Circular Quay today, opposite the Opera House, where I am typing this. A beautiful mild summer's day (28c), with bright sunny sky, perfect for visitors.

Donald - if memory serves, you have an affinity for several languages.

Query - about pronouncing Richard Wagner, the composer. Do you say "ree-chard" or "ree-kard?"

I always said the latter but now I'm not so sure. Thoughts?

Ruby

Ruby, that is a simple question for me to answer, as my father's name was Richard, pronounced the English way. I understand that the German pronunciation is RIH-kard.

Donald.

Hi everyone - I just got back yesterday after my 28 nights to the Caribbean. yes - it was a wonderful trip - not too hot for sightseeing but lovely and warm when sitting on deck. The first few days out were "interesting" shall we say - Force 10 gusting 12 and 9 metre swells! We lost a lot of crockery and glassware not to mention food in the stores. The two top decks were closed for three days, including the buffet restaurant but once it settled down after Madeira it was fine until the last couple of day returning.

Hi everyone - I just got back yesterday after my 28 nights to the Caribbean. yes - it was a wonderful trip - not too hot for sightseeing but lovely and warm when sitting on deck. The first few days out were "interesting" shall we say - Force 10 gusting 12 and 9 metre swells! We lost a lot of crockery and glassware not to mention food in the stores. The two top decks were closed for three days, including the buffet restaurant but once it settled down after Madeira it was fine until the last couple of day returning.

Were the "interesting seas" in the infamous Bay of Biscay?

Curious about why they lost food in the stores. Have had the smashed crockery, glassware, experience. :(

Pleased you had a wonderful trip.

Were the "interesting seas" in the infamous Bay of Biscay?

Curious about why they lost food in the stores. Have had the smashed crockery, glassware, experience. :(

Pleased you had a wonderful trip.

Yes Marion - it was partly the Bay, but also followed us into the Atlantic - storm after storm. The food pallets moved in the stores and if any fruit or veg lands on the floor it is written off.

Yes Marion - it was partly the Bay, but also followed us into the Atlantic - storm after storm. The food pallets moved in the stores and if any fruit or veg lands on the floor it is written off.

Zowie! What heavy seas and storms. A bit of a wet blanket on your adventure to the Caribbean, as it were.

Was your surgically-repaired foot a help or a hindrance?

What is your favourite memory of this cruise? Can you pick a favourite island or shorex?

Ruby

Zowie! What heavy seas and storms. A bit of a wet blanket on your adventure to the Caribbean, as it were.

Was your surgically-repaired foot a help or a hindrance?

What is your favourite memory of this cruise? Can you pick a favourite island or shorex?

Ruby

Hi Ruby - still "processing" the cruise but the but foot was fine - wish I could say the same for my hip and knee!! Favourite island - toss up between Barbados and Antigua. As for shorex - our tour with Spencer Ambrose in St Lucia was fab BUT did present a few problems for me with impaired mobility. Still - the lads coped and got round it! All will be revealed soon. Back to work first tomorrow !

I saw something new to me on our recent cruise. Some South African ports are now getting the port pilot to and from the ships via helicopter rather than the familiar pilot boat. Apparently it is more cost efficient and practical for them. So here are a couple of pictures of this procedure in the port of Durban where the pilot, a woman in this case, departed Silver Wind by being hoisted into the hovering aircraft. I've seen sick passengers evacuated by this method but a pilot was new to me. The captain asked that passengers stand clear but most of us were very curious and couldn't resist getting as close as possible to the action.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so where?

IMG_8252_zpsb4a6cdcd.jpg

IMG_8253_zps860ed6a4.jpg

Not seen Helicoptered pilots yet but I thought this way of boarding a boat (in St Maarten) a bit hairy - climbing over the fenders! Having been told by captains about the precautions in place and the reasons behind them for keeping clear of helicopters on ships - you did well to get these photos. A sudden downdraft can send the helicopter crashing to the deck with shrapnel flying everywhere! I couldn't resist getting similar photos from a medical evacuation on Nautica but keep myself near a door and under cover of the deck above.

Dsc_0150.jpg.ee713fa4f8478e86c4d44c77fbc4408a.jpg

Edited by Host Sharon

I've seen medivacs off of Royal Viking but no pilots being hoisted in this modern day. On RVL, the preparations to receive the helicopter were extensive regarding deck chairs, et al. There is some kind of static build-up involved in this maneuver and a crewman had to use a long pole to touch off the static before the helicopter could touch any part of the ship in heaving seas.

The photo of the pilot jumping over the fenders is amazing. I'm vaguely surprised that he didn't have a big red S on his chest. Zowie!

Ruby

You'd think it was a very expensive way to transport a pilot!!

I have posted a (long!) review of my cruise here if interested - more of a blog really!

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=249592

Now everyone (and especially Donald I guess), we are considering an Alaska cruise this summer - June possibly. Which are the must-see ports please. We have been looking at Princess, Celebrity, Oceania and HAL and although all go to the usual places - Juneau, Sitka etc, there are a few small differences - like Haines. Any thoughts welcome please.

You'd think it was a very expensive way to transport a pilot!!

I have posted a (long!) review of my cruise here if interested - more of a blog really!

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=249592

Now everyone (and especially Donald I guess), we are considering an Alaska cruise this summer - June possibly. Which are the must-see ports please. We have been looking at Princess, Celebrity, Oceania and HAL and although all go to the usual places - Juneau, Sitka etc, there are a few small differences - like Haines. Any thoughts welcome please.

I agree Donald would be the cruise expert for Alaska.

However, I loved Haines, where we stayed for a few days. It is a real place, as distinct from a tourist only town.