Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

I am boarding Century here in Vancouver. The weather forecast for Sunday doesn't look too promising ... "cloudy with showers." My friend - who embarrassed me at Captain's Table two years ago - will be accompanying me again because fog concealed Hubbard Glacier and he couldn't see a thing. At any rate, I am looking forward to a week of relaxation and pampering.

Donald.

Pleased you are cruising on your favourite Century, Donald, not the Millennium, which has cancelled its current cruise in Alaska.

Hello to all! I enjoyed the cruise to Alaska very much. For the fifth time I was honoured as the Most Frequent Celebrity Cruiser, and enjoyed the attention and perks that came with it. Gosh, isn't the Captain great-looking? He remembered me from the Hawaiian cruise last March.

x20130820Century.jpg

Once I've settled back into everyday home routine I will go through my photographs and select a few to publish here.

Donald.

That photo is a wonderful picture of two handsome men! Your smile could light a city. Obviously the cruise was a success and we look forward to seeing more pix from your cruise.

Just curious - as you rack up cruises on Century, will you eventually be booked in to some Owner's or President's Suite or are the bookings quite full for the Alaska cruises? What do you think the ultimate recognition would be for a dedicated cruiser?

Ruby

Just curious - as you rack up cruises on Century, will you eventually be booked in to some Owner's or President's Suite or are the bookings quite full for the Alaska cruises? What do you think the ultimate recognition would be for a dedicated cruiser?

Ruby

I don't think that Elite-level cruisers will receive any more perks than we currently enjoy. Like other cruise lines, Celebrity is watching its bottom line.

Donald.

Hello everyone - just back yesterday from a wonderful (if wet) cruise on Nautica. I will publish my review and photos in due course, but I can say it was very different from all my other cruises. Two highlights - being allowed to "fly" an owl at a falconry display in Scotland and the 360 degree pirouette the captain put Nautica through in Geirganger Fjord so everyone had an equal view of the Seven Sisters Falls, while the music of Grieg was played out on deck.

Welcome back, Sharon. The ship's pirouette in the fjord sure sounded great.

Here are the five best of my photographs from last week.

x2013-08-18Alaska015.jpg

The sun's rays burst through dark clouds

x2013-08-18Alaska022.jpg

Century is literally sailing at the edge of the fog

x2013-08-18Alaska021.jpg

Ghostly scene on the top deck

x2013-08-18Alaska070.jpg

In Ketchikan

x2013-08-18Alaska065.jpg

A brochure-perfect picture of shipboard relaxation

Donald.

Donald - those are quite the artistic photos. For reasons unknown, I liked the Ketchikan one.

Have you - or anyone - been thru the Chittenden Locks in Seattle? They were my first locks (we never forget our first) and I now have quite a few under my belt. The biggest surprise was the Lock into Incheon, Korea. I'm still not clear why the sea level has to be adjusted for, but it was quite the thrill to be aboard Silversea and sail thru that lock. My other memory of that lock is the many thousands of Korean cars parked close by, ready for loading at the appropriate time.

But Chittenden Locks in the '79s made reality of what I had only read. I understood the principle but watching the lock gates swing slowly open was a real thrill for this Texan.

Sharon - I'm so glad you enjoyed Nautica. She was one of my first "modern" ships which I so much enjoyed. The only thing negative was the tiny shower stall; the shower curtain insisted on joining me in that tiny triangular shower. Have "they" changed out the showers or do we dance with the curtain when showering?

Ruby

Sharon - I'm so glad you enjoyed Nautica. She was one of my first "modern" ships which I so much enjoyed. The only thing negative was the tiny shower stall; the shower curtain insisted on joining me in that tiny triangular shower. Have "they" changed out the showers or do we dance with the curtain when showering?

Ruby

Sadly no - there were a very few niggles and the shower curtain was one, as was the pathetic water pressure in the shower and bathroom taps. Overall I was very impressed though, with possibly the best cruise director I have ever had (Nolan Dean). Unfortunately my foot was very bad throughout the cruise and our stateroom was on deck 3. there are only two possible elevators to use to get anywhere from deck 3. Even if you need the tenders at the other end of the deck, you have to go up one deck and down again, and one of our two was out of order the whole cruise. That was when I discovered that Americans (sorry!) seem to spend ages getting into the elevators, chat to people while standing half in or out or can't decide which deck they want to stop at every one - I think I spent half the cruise standing waiting on Deck 3! BUT, the lovely experience of lying on their lush sunbeds, and when it got chilly being wrapped up in a fleece or blanket was heaven, accompanied by a cappuccino of course - and teatime was far better than the famous Cunard White Glove Tea IMO.

Donald - great photos.

Edited by Host Sharon

. . . the lovely experience of lying on their lush sunbeds, and when it got chilly being wrapped up in a fleece or blanket was heaven, accompanied by a cappuccino of course - and teatime was far better than the famous Cunard White Glove Tea IMO.Donald - great photos.

Those sunbeds are fascinating and huge. If memory serves, you get into the area of the sunbeds thru the beauty salon?

I agree that Oceania serves the best teatime ever. I developed a pattern of sneaking up the back stairs, getting those abfab appetizers, and returning to my cabin with my loot wrapped in a napkin - shrimp with fresh dill on wheat bread squares, coconut macaroon cookies. The quality and variety were wonderful, filling, and kept me from lurking outside the DR each night.

Here's hoping your foot will recuperate soonest.

Ruby

I quite enjoyed your review and was happy to see your appreciation of all things Nautica, give or take the shower curtain and water pressure in the bathroom.

Seeing the ROV pix on your Lerwick shorex sounds fascinating, Obviously the ship's master knows a good thing when he sees it.

When I was on Nautica thru the Suez Canal and on to Singapore, the onboard concierge, Bruno, was wonderfully efficient in securing a res at the Changi airport hotel. It seemed that Bruno was everywhere on the ship - setting up podiums for incoming guests, answering every kind of question from his desk in the lobby. Bruno was the man who told me that crew members would so much enjoy reading my old magazines and newspapers from the hotel in Muscat and I have done so ever since. There are many ships afloat that have old Smithsonian magazines from my cabin.

Thanks for your review. I keep trying to find the ideal cruise from Montreal to Miami and, with the avalanche of brochures from Oceania, I hope to book with them. A butler on Silversea is wonderful but S/S doesn't have the itineraries I'm looking for.

I'll continue to sail the small ships; Marina and Riviera are a bit large for me. But I shall look forward with anticipation to your reviews when you sail on them.

Ruby

Photo have been thinned down to a manageable number here

https://picasaweb.google.com/114801993219771801790/IslesFjordsCruiseOnNauticaAugust2013#

I'll do a separate album of the ship so not many of Nautica here.

Enjoying looking at your photos, whilst listening to the Men's Final, US Open on US Radio.

Photo have been thinned down to a manageable number here

I'll do a separate album of the ship so not many of Nautica here.

Sharon, what impressed me the most was that your shipboard accommodation looked more like a high-class hotel's room than a ship's cabin. The photographs which impressed me the most was those of Giant's Causeway, really amazing to think that these were created 40 to 50 million years ago.

Enjoying looking at your photos, whilst listening to the Men's Final, US Open on US Radio.

Drat, I forgot all about the US Open, as today was such a nice day that I went outdoors three times. I checked online to find that Rafael Nadal won, good for him because Djokovic can be quite the formidable opponent.

This week I am not walking the dog because her owner took the pooch with her to stay for a week at someone's beach house along the coast. Nice weather for that this week, the sun will be out.

Donald.

Edited by Kapricorn

I love your pictures Sharon. They exactly capture the atmosphere of this beautiful part of the world: I'm struck at how the weather hangs so heavily over this area and permeates the soul of the people, sometimes for good and sometimes not. Like you, we were struck by all the political murals in Belfast. I'm not sure I would like to live with that every day.

One day we would like to do a cruise on Oceania. Your pictures make it seem wonderful.

I love your pictures Sharon. They exactly capture the atmosphere of this beautiful part of the world: I'm struck at how the weather hangs so heavily over this area and permeates the soul of the people, sometimes for good and sometimes not. Like you, we were struck by all the political murals in Belfast. I'm not sure I would like to live with that every day.

One day we would like to do a cruise on Oceania. Your pictures make it seem wonderful.

My thoughts also.

In addition, I was impressed that you were brave enough to have the bird land on your glove. Were you selected or did you volunteer?

My thoughts also.

In addition, I was impressed that you were brave enough to have the bird land on your glove. Were you selected or did you volunteer?

I have no idea how they live in Belfast. I asked our driver and he just shrugged - you just do! I suppose like most bad things - you get used to it and develop ways of coping.

As for the bird - I was sitting in the front row and was selected but suspect our private tour guide had more than a little to do with it as I had asked him if the audience were ever allowed to hold/fly the birds! I loved every minute. The owl was light as a feather and as I fed min, he was so gentle exploring my hand for edible titbits. A magic moment. My friend, who had been sitting next to me, could barely be seen for dust though !

Edited by Host Sharon

I have no idea how they live in Belfast. I asked our driver and he just shrugged - you just do! I suppose like most bad things - you get used to it and develop ways of coping.

/quote]

Sharon, it is just like that in Quebec, where people shrug when asked how can they live with all the French-language decrees. Until twelve years ago my parents had a cottage north of Montreal. Every spring when they opened the cottage they had problems getting telephone connection to their cottage (mainly because they didn't speak French). When my mother mentioned it to her superior on the Protestant School Board, for whom my mother who ran the Special Education classes, he immediately called the telephone board (in French language) and shamed them into promptly re-connecting the cottage line ahead of those others waiting in line. It is now worse in Quebec ... last week I received an email from my high school 50th Anniversary reunion committee, but I have absolutely no desire to step in Quebec again (my sister and I have since sold that cottage).

Donald.

Donald - for many years it was the same in Wales, especially in North Wales where the Welsh language is widely spoken. English people bought holiday cottages in villages and were widely resented. To be fair, they had some reason behind it as it drove up prices beyond the reach of locals and, with the cottages empty much of the time, it was detrimental to village life. But when they started setting fire to these cottages it got dangerous.

In neither Wales. nor Quebec, however, did the segregation involve missiles, guns and beatings. That is what, for me, made Belfast so depressing - that they shoot (or rather shot) each other in broad daylight and cold blood.

It also highlighted how ignorant I am of Irish history !! I must read up on it now.

I have uploaded some photos of Nautica here.

Edited by Host Sharon

The raising of Costa Concordia commenced this morning on the island of Giglio. Reuters has particularly good live Web cams which show the ship from a variety of angles as the process continues. I have to say it's a little bit liking watching grass grow but if you check back periodically you can see the old waterline moving into the daylight. The site can be found here.

The raising of Costa Concordia commenced this morning on the island of Giglio. Reuters has particularly good live Web cams which show the ship from a variety of angles as the process continues. I have to say it's a little bit liking watching grass grow but if you check back periodically you can see the old waterline moving into the daylight. The site can be found here.

Conte, many thanks for the link. I had been wondering where I could see the action (yes, indeed, it is more like watching grass grow). I will look at it now and then to see its progress.

Donald.

I was so excited about the raising of Concordia that I stayed up late to watch the operation. As Conte said, it was like watching paint dry so I went to bed. But the time lapse video today is riveting. Hats and horns to the engineering crews who pulled off this difficult and dangerous operation.

Donald - I enjoy reading a series of mysteries set in Quebec and, particularly, the tiny town of Three Pines. Louise Penny writes about Inspector Gamache and other fascinating characters. But the series refreshs my nonexistent French and reminds me of the beauty of not only Montreal and surrounds, but your entire country.

One thing we learn is not to move to Three Pines as the citizenry has a high homicide rate. It's like Midsomer Murders on BBC - who would want to live there?

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

I was so excited about the raising of Concordia that I stayed up late to watch the operation. As Conte said, it was like watching paint dry so I went to bed. But the time lapse video today is riveting. Hats and horns to the engineering crews who pulled off this difficult and dangerous operation.

Ruby

What an engineering feat!

I also was enthralled with the time lapse video.

When you see the crushed middle of the ship, it is a wonder more people weren't killed. I hope they find the two missing dead.

Well, that's my foot sorted out (I hope). Had the operation yesterday and am now banned from travel for three months so Oceana should be Ok for January God Willing.

I see the divers have been sent back into Concordia - I hope they find the two missing people, for their relatives sake.

Donald - I enjoy reading a series of mysteries set in Quebec and, particularly, the tiny town of Three Pines. Louise Penny writes about Inspector Gamache and other fascinating characters. But the series refreshs my nonexistent French and reminds me of the beauty of not only Montreal and surrounds, but your entire country.

Ruby

Ruby, I've never heard of the fictional Inspector Gamache, but from your brief description Three Pines does sound like Midsomer (I've watched a few episodes on TV recently).

Speaking about books, I bought three classics in Juneau: Boccaccio's Decameron, Melville's Moby Dick and Hugo's Les Miserables (that one is 1200+ pages!). I am almost finished with Decameron, and now remember that I had read it about 45 years ago during my university days, and some parts of the book is familiar to me. Incidentally, my condominium building is named Decameron.

Well, that's my foot sorted out (I hope). Had the operation yesterday and am now banned from travel for three months so Oceana should be Ok for January God Willing.

Sharon, Here's to a steady recovery over the next three months.

Donald.